Our defence is a serious problem, what's the fix?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
There's gotta be an underlying coaching/chemistry problem though. I mean sure, we absolutely need a #3-4 dman on this team, and fast, but it doesn't make much sense that all of Cowen, Gryba, Wiericoch and Phillips have all regressed at the same time. They were not this bad last season. Something is wrong at a deeper level which from the outside is hard to guess at. So yeah, do try and acquire that missing defenseman who will be able to move the puck adequately while being responsible in his own end(and relieve pressure from EK), but until the team starts playing better D as a whole, one addition won't make much of a difference.

I don't think so.

Cowen barely played last year. When he did, in the playoffs, he was at the same level as now; probably worse.

Wiercioch was very sheltered last season and excelled in that role. He's playing against some tougher competition and IMO hasn't looked that bad. Improved over last season.

Phillips is getting older and older, to be expected in his case.

Gryba is making more boneheaded plays, but he's much of the same. He missed time because of his injury and he's been getting better though.

We're starting to have a logjam at D though. If we get another D, we have:
Karlsson
Methot
Cowen
Wiercioch
Defenseman
Phillips
Borowiecki
Gryba
Corvo (who won't be here next season)

So that's 8 D, I'm guessing one guy will be traded.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Gonchar and Benoit are not exactly doing well on their other teams. They both would be whipping boys here too, especially Gonchar. Checked some Avs GDT and there was a lot of Benoit bashing though to be fair I think they are having him play on the 2nd pairing. Gonchar has been brutal for Dallas and they have been criticizing him as well.

Benoit has 7 assists and is +7 with no penalties so far, making $900k. If Avs fans are complaining they are idiots.

Also I don't think anyone is arguing that we need both of those guys specifically. The problem is that we got a certain skillset and level of production out of those two guys last year that their replacements have no hope of duplicating.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
To start the season this was true, but with every passing game it seems that their Corsi is dropping and their PDO suggests they've been pretty lucky, too. The last 5 games there's been a number of issues with that line that have it not looking the same as the first part of the season.

Also sometimes when a line has great chemistry and pieces like the Turris line it can make up for a lot of deficiencies. Anyone can tell you that for most of this season that line has been absolutely fantastic...but also likely playing a bit above their heads. As I said above...the forwards have to play beyond their normal levels to make up for the deficiencies on the back-end right now and that's not something sustainable every night by anyone.

http://www.extraskater.com/player/53/kyle-turris

This actually paints a pretty ugly picture of late. Maybe corresponding with when he started being matched up with the toughest lines? IDK for sure.

Your right on this and at the beginning of the year Spezza was drawing all the top lines. The Turris line got Karlsson to play with more often than not. That said the Turris line is the best at moving the puck out of our zone it's called consistent line mates :)

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
80277278.jpg

WhiteLight*

If you think Lindstrom can ever compare to Redded, you have another thing coming:)

true that, he's doesn't hold a candle to him. But right now I think Lids is a better option, Redden is over the hill

WhiteLight*

Seriously, Murray should call up Lidstrom.

-Captain for captain
-Can play with Erik Karlsson
-Can have as big or as small a role as he wants
-Can be the captain if he wants

Don't miss the boat Murray

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Seriously, Murray should call up Lidstrom.

-Captain for captain
-Can play with Erik Karlsson
-Can have as big or as small a role as he wants
-Can be the captain if he wants

Don't miss the boat Murray

Do you think he would accept giftcards to Berts bar and grill as compensation?

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
They dressed 5 of them tonight. Shall we trade Karlsson so we can have yet another of your precious statues?

Not Karlsson, but I see Michalek as the guy to move. Maybe trade Corvo/Gryba for someone like Boyes from Florida. Say what you want about talent level, he performed well on the Island last year

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Would like Daley or Robidas from Dallas. Would also give up quite a bit for Gudbranson but the Panthers would be crazy to trade him.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Wait a minute, a defensive defenceman? Its not like we need one of those or anything

Currently have too many of them and they are the biggest reason, imo, why the Sens are struggling.

The defense core needs to be built around players that can get the puck out of the dzone fast and efficient. Not players that suck with the puck and are useless in 66% of the ice.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Not Karlsson, but I see Michalek as the guy to move. Maybe trade Corvo/Gryba for someone like Boyes from Florida. Say what you want about talent level, he performed well on the Island last year

I was being sarcastic. The idea that removing one of our statuesque defencemen is somehow going to lead to more goals against is laughable. Corvo and Wiercioch will give the puck away, but they'll actually get it up to the forwards sometimes, whereas Cowen gives it away just as much if not more and still can't get it to the forwards.

WhiteLight*

OK, 8 guys.

-Karlsson: Legit #1 d-man, not going anywhere.
-Methot: Good top 4 d-man, not going anywhere.
-Phillips: Looks good sometimes, but has lots of mental lapses at this stage of his career. 3rd pair defenseman.
-Cowen: Looks like an AHL d-man. But has big potential if he gets his head screwed on straight.
-Gryba: 6-7 defenseman and expendable.
-Wiercioch: Awesome skill, but man he leaves a lot to be desired. Hard to get a good read on him, and what role he can play on a team. 3rd pair defenseman, potential ???
-Borowiecki: 3rd pair defenseman, good long term depth guy imo.
-Corvo: 3rd pair defenseman, expendable because of age.

Problem: 2 good defensemen, 6 depth defensemen playing too high in the lineup.

Most expendable based on ability: Gryba; most expendable based on age: Corvo
List of overall most expendable in order from most to least: Gryba, Corvo, Phillips, Borowiecki, Wiercioch, Cowen

So, if I had to cut down to 7 defensemen, it would be Gryba gone. He can be waived, and has a two-way so it's not a problem to assign him to Bingo. Wiercioch and Cowen have been bad, but it's hard to move these guys because of their potential.

Now the biggest question is, does the team need need an upgrade this season? I would answer yes because tanking is not an option, but on the other hand I don't want to invest in an old guy and have another Phillips on our hands. A guy like Kulikov might be available, but in reality he's in the same boat as the 6 depth guys.

So we're in a pickle. A guy like Mike Stone would be ideal I guess, but not many of those are available around the league.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
make as many excuses for each individual player on the team. i still believe it is an assistant coaching issue. maclean is a good coach, but needs better help.
luke richardson come on down

source

Jul 13, 2008
My counter question is why the defense looks fine when the Turris line is out there?

But yes we miss a real #2 or #3 depending where you see Methot, but ideally we'd need someone better offensively

Add another Methot and the defense looks good.

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Methot
Phillips-Borowiecki
Wiercioch/Corvo

That being said, I think Karlsson has been our worst D-man defensively, and I say this as a big Karlsson fan and collector.

And he knows he needs to clean that part of his game up. He makes so many great plays defensively though, so you can see why he's being persistent with his risky strategy. He will be legendary if he can improve his defensive play.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Currently have too many of them and they are the biggest reason, imo, why the Sens are struggling.

The defense core needs to be built around players that can get the puck out of the dzone fast and efficient. Not players that suck with the puck and are useless in 66% of the ice.

The problem isn't that we have too many defensive defencemen...it's that the defensive defencemen we have are not good. Whether or not they have potential is irrelevant right now, because right now they're just not good at doing what they need to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad