Our Defence Down the Stretch

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
We've clinched and we know our opponent.
Gorges is injured and still not ready.
Murray will be suspended up to five games.
Beaulieu is being punished or something.

Down the stretch, last five games, will MT slot Tinner in for Murray?

Markov-Emelin
Bouillon-Subban:(
Tinordi-Weaver

What are the chances that Pateryn plays, maybe move Emelin to his natural side and sit Cube? Or the chances that Beaulieu is freed from the dog house? I think this would be a good time to give Tinordi/Beaulieu/Pateryn some games in case they are needed in the playoffs.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
We've clinched and we know our opponent.
Gorges is injured and still not ready.
Murray will be suspended up to five games.
Beaulieu is being punished or something.

Down the stretch, last five games, will MT slot Tinner in for Murray?

Markov-Emelin
Bouillon-Subban:(
Tinordi-Weaver

What are the chances that Pateryn plays, maybe move Emelin to his natural side and sit Cube? Or the chances that Beaulieu is freed from the dog house? I think this would be a good time to give Tinordi/Beaulieu/Pateryn some games in case they are needed in the playoffs.

We haven't had the luxury of clinching with 5 games remaining in recent memory.
So absolutely bring up all the prospects you can.
Sit Cube indefinitely. Rotate rest days for our core D and see what kind of games these kids can come up with. Time to experiment. Emelin/Weaver PK/Beaulieu just anything but what we currently have...
Get some **** ing good forward combo's while you're at it.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

We haven't had the luxury of clinching with 5 games remaining in recent memory.
So absolutely bring up all the prospects you can.
Sit Cube indefinitely. Rotate rest days for our core D and see what kind of games these kids can come up with. Time to experiment. Emelin/Weaver PK/Beaulieu just anything but what we currently have...
Get some **** ing good forward combo's while you're at it.

I think there's a max of 4 possible callups by MTL, so I wouldn't be wasting 'em on 5 meaningless regular season games. I like the idea, but it doesn't work that way.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
I think there's a max of 4 possible callups by MTL, so I wouldn't be wasting 'em on 5 meaningless regular season games. I like the idea, but it doesn't work that way.

Not really an issue IMHO. The callup limit expires when the Dogs finish their season Apr 20, one week after the Habs finish. Plus there are "emergency" callups which are loosely defined and can be exploited easily.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

Not really an issue IMHO. The callup limit expires when the Dogs finish their season Apr 20, one week after the Habs finish. Plus there are "emergency" callups which are loosely defined and can be exploited easily.

Nice. I would call up either Tinordi or Pateryn + Beaulieu to play in the last few games. It will give them some experience without adding too much pressure on them, and you rest the vets you're going to use in the playoffs. I don't see why we wouldn't do that, last season we didin't have a problem by giving some games to these 3 guys.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Nice. I would call up either Tinordi or Pateryn + Beaulieu to play in the last few games. It will give them some experience without adding too much pressure on them, and you rest the vets you're going to use in the playoffs. I don't see why we wouldn't do that, last season we didin't have a problem by giving some games to these 3 guys.

I'd do the same, it seems sensible.

Which means MT probably won't do it ;)

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Swap Boullion for Gorges when the latter is healthy:

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Tinordi-Weaver

Mobility, Decent size, good PKers, Strong minute eaters. This is actually pretty strong

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
We're pretty much guaranteed to face Tampa in the first round unless Detroit wins all their games and we don't win a single one. Rest of the regular season really doesn't matter unfortunately.

SakuSauce

Drive for 25
Dec 2, 2006
Montréal
How about try out 3 good pairing, I have no problem with Bouillon playing as long as its not top 2 minutes (he's mobile, good first pass, but when he plays too much he gets exposed)

Emelin - Subban (have emelin back on the left side, easier for hits and footsteps, he always seems akward playing on the right side especially when he makes passes to Markov)
Markov - Weaver (Weaver has been solid, and having a good Defensive D with Markov would work better then Emelin)
Gorges - Bouillon (solid bottom pair, could swap Gorges and Weaver if necessary)

*Tinordi - Bouillon until Gorges is healthy

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
If let's say Prust isn't ready in time for the playoffs, should we dress 7D against TB? It would have its benefits. We could rest Markov on the PK, get some additional help on the PP (which will be crucial in a series like this one) plus you can change your pairings depending on the score. I would dress the following: Subban, Markov, Gorges, Emelin, Beaulieu, Weaver and Bouillon?

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
If let's say Prust isn't ready in time for the playoffs, should we dress 7D against TB? It would have its benefits. We could rest Markov on the PK, get some additional help on the PP (which will be crucial in a series like this one) plus you can change your pairings depending on the score. I would dress the following: Subban, Markov, Gorges, Emelin, Beaulieu, Weaver and Bouillon?

I'd have Murray there for the lightning rod effect. If one of our players is going to be targeted by the Bolts make it our most durable player.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Is this a bad time to bring up we used to have McDonagh as an option?

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I saw comments at http://relentlessineptitude.blogspot.ca/2014/04/hamilton-bulldogs-4-oklahoma-city.html that Beaulieu and Leblanc were told to report in better shape next year. Interesting views on the game as well, I was worried about Beaulieu based on stats but it sounds like he stands out.

It's good to try to get players to work harder and get in shape but at a certain point you have to realize that no matter the effort Beaulieu is more effective than Tinordi just now, even if he is almost a year younger, and Subban is more effective than Gorges or Bouillon regardless of perceived effort. Eyes on the prize say Therrien treated Crosby the same way he now treats Subban; he just likes effort over ability.

It's all very well to give prizes for effort in kindergarten but in the NHL teams and coaches have to figure out who can give the team a chance to win. You can put the effort bottom line/pairing guy on the PP for one game to make a statement, doing it day in day out also sends a statement but not one that will make the team win.

Seriously wish we'd kept Vigneault or Julien around. There just aren't many francophone coaches and the ones who've adapted are not often available. By going looking for coaches every year or two in a tiny pool the habs are ensuring they won't get someone good long term. How do you recognize a good coach while you have him? It's been a serious crapshoot. Are the habs actually evaluating or just hiring any francophone with experience or name recognition but not both? Did Roy disqualify himself by actually learning the job in lower leagues?

Therrien reminds me of bad middle managers. He has a view of the world, it does not accord with reality. He makes his decisions purely based on his view. Reality passes him by, completely unseen.

Therrien - mediocre at best, sees the world through effort colored glasses.
Cunneyworth - interim
Martin - great assistant coach, rigid
Gainey - interim
Carbonneau - rigid, inexperienced, couldn't adapt, couldn't see others adapt. Went with his initial take.
Julien - Looks good now...
Therrien - Flamed out first time
Vigneault - I liked him, innovative, played 3 D against Pens top line, couldn't deal with goon tactics. Looks good now...
Tremblay - great motivator at the beginning, no system, clashed with stars. Should never have been hired without more AHL and assistan coaching time.
Demers - Players coach, won a cup...

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
I saw comments at http://relentlessineptitude.blogspot.ca/2014/04/hamilton-bulldogs-4-oklahoma-city.html that Beaulieu and Leblanc were told to report in better shape next year. Interesting views on the game as well, I was worried about Beaulieu based on stats but it sounds like he stands out.

It's good to try to get players to work harder and get in shape but at a certain point you have to realize that no matter the effort Beaulieu is more effective than Tinordi just now, even if he is almost a year younger, and Subban is more effective than Gorges or Bouillon regardless of perceived effort. Eyes on the prize say Therrien treated Crosby the same way he now treats Subban; he just likes effort over ability.

It's all very well to give prizes for effort in kindergarten but in the NHL teams and coaches have to figure out who can give the team a chance to win. You can put the effort bottom line/pairing guy on the PP for one game to make a statement, doing it day in day out also sends a statement but not one that will make the team win.

Seriously wish we'd kept Vigneault or Julien around. There just aren't many francophone coaches and the ones who've adapted are not often available. By going looking for coaches every year or two in a tiny pool the habs are ensuring they won't get someone good long term. How do you recognize a good coach while you have him? It's been a serious crapshoot. Are the habs actually evaluating or just hiring any francophone with experience or name recognition but not both? Did Roy disqualify himself by actually learning the job in lower leagues?

Therrien reminds me of bad middle managers. He has a view of the world, it does not accord with reality. He makes his decisions purely based on his view. Reality passes him by, completely unseen.

Therrien - mediocre at best, sees the world through effort colored glasses.
Cunneyworth - interim
Martin - great assistant coach, rigid
Gainey - interim
Carbonneau - rigid, inexperienced, couldn't adapt, couldn't see others adapt. Went with his initial take.
Julien - Looks good now...
Therrien - Flamed out first time
Vigneault - I liked him, innovative, played 3 D against Pens top line, couldn't deal with goon tactics. Looks good now...
Tremblay - great motivator at the beginning, no system, clashed with stars. Should never have been hired without more AHL and assistan coaching time.
Demers - Players coach, won a cup...

lol. effort coloured glasses...that's good.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Given our scoring struggles against Tampa I wouldn't mind seeing Beaulieu brought up and given a chance in the playoffs. Having a solid defensive veteran like Weaver with him would help cover his mistakes.

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Beaulieu - Weaver

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Markov-Emelin
Tinordi-Subban
Gorges-Weaver

Murray/Bouillon as 7/8 dmen

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Markov, Subban, Gorges, Emelin have to play, and I'd take Weaver.

Of the others I don't think Tinordi is ready and I don't think he plays better with Therrien waiting to bench him. Bouillon should not play more than one playoff game if everyone is healthy, great guy, adequate in his prime, but over the hill.

I'd play Murray and Beaulieu depending on how physical the series is, and possibly dress both. Murray struggles but he intimidates. He's one of the few guys on the team that people don't want to fight after a nasty hit. Boston gets a lot of mileage out of headhunting with multiple scary guys, and I don't want to see the habs go that way but having one guy who can do that at least part time helps. At least as long as the refs and narrative-writers encourage it. By most metrics Beaulieu is way ahead of Bouillon, Tinordi, and Murray so play him. Teach him lessons in a way that won't hurt the team.

Looks like the habs are done with Beaulieu for this year. I can understand making statements and teaching lessons, but do it the way the bruins do: play the guy, don't crucify him in the media, then trade him for good players with better attitudes. You can debate the Seguin and Kessel trades but neither of them hurt the team. Publicly bashing Subban doesn't help him or the team, just the coaches ego. Demoting Beaulieu may help him long term, but it probably won't and it hurts the team short term.

Beaulieu has enough talent that he doesn't have to listen if he doesn't want to. He'll play in the NHL at some point. The challenge, and a big one, is to make him listen anyway. I doubt the AHL is the place, especially how Hamilton is going. In the NHL at least the other players can set an example and push him to work out.

Masuli

May 8, 2013
Turku, Finland
Now that the PO's are done deal call up Beaulieu and drop Boullion.

Beaulieu-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Tinordi-Weaver

After Gorges is back

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Tinordi/Beaulieu-Weaver

:nod:

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Now that the PO's are done deal call up Beaulieu and drop Boullion.

Beaulieu-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Tinordi-Weaver

After Gorges is back

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Tinordi/Beaulieu-Weaver

:nod:

Well it took a suspension to Murray but the Habs have called up Beaulieu so we may get our wish for some D changes down the stretch. But I somehow doubt Cube sits :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad