Our best Shooter

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Just curious what you guys think: Who is our best pure shooter? Has Matthews really the best shot or just the best nose to score goals? How good is Tavares shot, is it better than Matthews or is there even an outsider pick for best shooter?
From what I've seen, Matthews by a lot. He can change directions quickly. Tavares' skill comes from puck handling near his skates

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Matthews' shot is a runaway favourite. One of the few players in the modern NHL who can beat goalies clean from far out. Much of that is in the incredible release, but his accuracy and velocity are also fantastic. Add in his ability to corral pucks, IQ, and nose for the net, and you've got one of the league's premier goal scorers. 50 goals isn't out of the question for this year.

Nylander has the velocity and a great release, but doesn't have the accuracy or the willingness to shoot that Matthews does. It's not Matt Frattin levels of "miss the net by 6 inches and exactly 6 inches every time", but if he can go bar down a little bit more often he has the velocity and release to be a 30g man every year. But Willy is so darn cerebral, he's always looking for Matthews because he knows he's the better shooter. My biggest wish for Nylander this year is to up his selfishness factor a little bit, he's able to create so much but goes one pass too far a little too often. When he gives himself the green light he's lethal.

Don't know about Tavares that much tbh. I think of him as a player who uses his size and skill to drive the net and finish in close, rather than beating goalies from a distance with release and velocity/accuracy.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I'd give Mattthew's my vote, Kadri would be a close second if he is shooting less than 10 to 15 feet out.

Obliviate

Jun 26, 2018
Matthews' shot is a runaway favourite. One of the few players in the modern NHL who can beat goalies clean from far out. Much of that is in the incredible release, but his accuracy and velocity are also fantastic. Add in his ability to corral pucks, IQ, and nose for the net, and you've got one of the league's premier goal scorers. 50 goals isn't out of the question for this year.

Nylander has the velocity and a great release, but doesn't have the accuracy or the willingness to shoot that Matthews does. It's not Matt Frattin levels of "miss the net by 6 inches and exactly 6 inches every time", but if he can go bar down a little bit more often he has the velocity and release to be a 30g man every year. But Willy is so darn cerebral, he's always looking for Matthews because he knows he's the better shooter. My biggest wish for Nylander this year is to up his selfishness factor a little bit, he's able to create so much but goes one pass too far a little too often. When he gives himself the green light he's lethal.

Don't know about Tavares that much tbh. I think of him as a player who uses his size and skill to drive the net and finish in close, rather than beating goalies from a distance with release and velocity/accuracy.
We've also seen numerous examples of how Matthews can take pucks that most forwards have to settle first before shooting, and get off a quality shot. I've seen few players do that consistently in this league. It's obviously a huge advantage against goalies who don't expect it.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Matthews by far. Nylander probably has equal if not superior velocity on his shot, but he has one of the most blatant shooting tells I've ever seen.

Tavares' shot isn't particularly notable for a guy who scores as many goals as he does. He just has excellent instinct around the goal.

For a team that is T-2nd in goals over the past two seasons, we're not exactly loaded with snipers.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Looking through these goal highlights for 2018 gives a pretty solid idea how each of our best goal scorers score.

Matthews has a way of getting himself into those high danger areas so he doesn't need to use his shot as often but when he does I think it's the best on the team when he gets it off.

Nylander puts himself in a position to use his wrist shot a lot more imo. It's his speed, edge work and ability to find the gaps that lets him abuse his elite wrist shot and snap shot.

Tavares I think is similar to Matthews in a sense that he'll try to put himself more into the high danger area to get deflections or tips. He's still got a great wrist shot though. Scored the 4th most wrist shot goals in the league according the nhl.com.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Some interesting stats to throw around about our best shooters.

Matthews averaged 3 shots per game in 62 games, 28.9% of those shots were snap shots, 46.5% wrist shots. 4 goals with snap shots, 18 goals on wrist shots.

Nylander averaged 2.24 shots per game in 82 games, 32% were snap shots, 49.7% were wrist shots. 6 snap shot goals, 12 wrist shot goals.

Tavares averaged 3.14 shots per game in 82 games, 13.2% were snap shots, 60.8% were wrist shots. 2 snap shot goals, 24 wrist shot goals.

Not sure how accurate nhl.com is but there it is.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Just curious what you guys think: Who is our best pure shooter? Has Matthews really the best shot or just the best nose to score goals? How good is Tavares shot, is it better than Matthews or is there even an outsider pick for best shooter?

1. Matthews
2. Tavares (one of the NHL's best when in tight)
3. Marleau
4. Nylander (beautiful looking but lacks accuracy)
5. Leivo
6. Brown
7. Kadri
7. Kapanen

Reactions: Leafling and Lauro

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
1. Matthews
2. Tavares (one of the NHL's best when in tight)
3. Marleau
4. Nylander (beautiful looking but lacks accuracy)
5. Leivo
6. Brown
7. Kadri
7. Kapanen
Think Kadri deserves to be above Brown and Leivo. Kadri's got a pretty good shot.

Reactions: Leafling

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Matthews, the guy can score at will. I really want to see Marner on his wing on the power play. I don’t think we will though.

Then again we had the second best power play last year, so I have to trust Babcock.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Matthews by a country mile and then Tavares followed by Nylander.

Only if Nylander isn’t hitting posts and missing top corners I would put him over Tavares but he just misses too many shots he takes or lack of shooting as well.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Matthews hands down. Guy has the best wrist shot release I can think of since Sakic

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
It's quite clearly Matthews with the best shot on this team (and arguably the best wrist shot in the league).

If Nylander could hit the net more consistently, I could see many 30+ goal seasons in his future. His shots ridiculous.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Haven’t seen enough of JT’s release to properly assess but Matthews’ is the best. Unreal shot.

Nylander would probably be my second choice. Leivo and Marleau get nods as well.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
nylander, has a fantastic shot. he just seems so gun shy at times. then when he does get it off it seems he is always trying to pick the corners id like to see him start going over the pads and 5 hole more often.

but as in rankings Mathews nylander Jt. marleau. Marner improved his shot a lot last year here hoping he did it again this year. we have a lot of playmaker sniper combos. johnsson got a under rated shot and release. same with lievo if he could ever stick in the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad