Our Best Fighter?

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
That can't be right. Orr lost a fight to someone on the Pens (Engelland?) and McLaren got handled by Scott and Kassian. They're both great fighters, but they certainly didn't go undefeated.
Orr definitely didn't lose to Engelland, they had a great fight, arguably fight of the year, but Orr won. I agree I thought Kassian got the best of McLaren in one of their fights, I'm just going by what the hockeyfights community voted on.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Orr definitely didn't lose to Engelland, they had a great fight, arguably fight of the year, but Orr won. I agree I thought Kassian got the best of McLaren in one of their fights, I'm just going by what the hockeyfights community voted on.

Hockey fights has McLaren losing to Scott, Kassian, Westgarth and Prust. The Prust fight was voted closely but the other ones were pretty clear losses based on voting.

Orr has a loss to Neil, Westgarth, Kassian, Rosehill and Boulton based on voting.. Not sure where you got your info

Black Magic*

McLaren vs Orr

Who is better at hockey?

Who is a better enforcer?

Who is a better fighter?

Who would you get rid of first?

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
Hockey fights has McLaren losing to Scott, Kassian, Westgarth and Prust. The Prust fight was voted closely but the other ones were pretty clear losses based on voting.

Orr has a loss to Neil, Westgarth, Kassian, Rosehill and Boulton based on voting.. Not sure where you got your info
Wow you're right, I completely misread the site layout. I was just glancing at the results and I thought the green checkmarks were indicative of a win... My bad. :shakehead I guess that`s what happens when I'm working off of 6 hours sleep in the past two days.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
basically, I can't wait until guys like Broll, who can actually skate and handle the puck a bit, are our enforcers instead of these slugs.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Mclaren is way better at hockey... people underrate his playing ability IMO. Apparently Carlyle was going to start using him on the PK too because he was a PKer in the AHL

Orr is the better fighter, throws big hits and actually intimidates players

Short term i'd prefer Orr

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013

The thing about measuring wins and losses is most fights are very marginal. It seems like the majority of their losses are basically down to points (for lack of a better term) where the other guy just grappled and landed a few weak ones because he was scared to trade or where the fight lasted like 10 seconds before they fell. The only clear losses of those were Mclaren vs Scott r2, Mclaren vs Westgarth r2 and Mclaren vs Thorburn (mostly because Mclaren was bleeding). And even then Mclaren beat the first 2 in their first fights and Orr dummied Thorburn twice. It might make a fanbase feel good if their guy technically won because he grappled and landed 6 weak punches compared to 3 by the other guy but who actually cares? If you operate under the idea that fighting is to get your guys fired up or to intimidate then I don't see how bearhugging a guy and landing a few weak left jabs accomplishes either of those. In fact it actually makes the fighter seem hesitant and scared which is probably the exact opposite thing you'd want to accomplish. If even your tough guy is visibly scared to fight the other teams tough guy then that's probably not sending out a good vibe to your bench.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Mclaren is way better at hockey... people underrate his playing ability IMO. Apparently Carlyle was going to start using him on the PK too because he was a PKer in the AHL

Orr is the better fighter, throws big hits and actually intimidates players

Short term i'd prefer Orr

I agree 100%.
McLaren can play on the 4th line and not be a detriment. He's a decent skater, great hitter/fore checker and doesn't usually take penalties, aside from fighting.

Orr on the other hand is a step behind McLaren in the above mentioned categories....expect fighting. Orr is the kind of guy that makes the opposing teams fighters have restless sleeps the night before playing the Leafs because he can really hurt people and does with his right punches.

Mclaren is the heir apparent but until the 1 dimensional fighter is a thing of the past, the Sheriff is on duty because he's still the fastest gun in the East.

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
I agree 100%.
McLaren can play on the 4th line and not be a detriment. He's a decent skater, great hitter/fore checker and doesn't usually take penalties, aside from fighting.

Orr on the other hand is a step behind McLaren in the above mentioned categories....expect fighting. Orr is taking of guy that makes the opposing teams fighters have restless sleeps the night before playing the Leafs because he can really hurt people and does with his right punches.

Mclaren is the heir apparent but until the 1 dimensional fighter is a thing of the past, the Sheriff is on duty because he's still the fastest gun in the East.

Orr, like you said, is the top dog in the East, maybe the league. That Bordeleau guy in Colorado is a monster though.

McLaren's a better hockey player, but given they're expected to fulfill the same role, (see: punching faces), Orr is better.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Both have different strengths. McLaren is the better skater, Orr is more physical.
McLaren has the better style for winning fights but Orr has the scariest 1 punch power in the league.
Both are decent in their own end for an enforcer.

Overall if I had to pick only 1 I would probably keep Orr as I think he is more intimidating but I like having both.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Orr, like you said, is the top dog in the East, maybe the league. That Bordeleau guy in Colorado is a monster though.

McLaren's a better hockey player, but given they're expected to fulfill the same role, (see: punching faces), Orr is better.

Congrats on hitting 5,000 posts!:handclap:

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Both have different strengths. McLaren is the better skater, Orr is more physical.
McLaren has the better style for winning fights but Orr has the scariest 1 punch power in the league.
Both are decent in their own end for an enforcer.

Overall if I had to pick only 1 I would probably keep Orr as I think he is more intimidating but I like having both.

Very good point. McLaren fights safer using his reach and thumbs where Orr likes to tuck the chin and start tossing. Basically all offensive li. Clark and Domi.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Anybody else surprised by the fact that McLaren is only 25? That dude is a MANimal

Enforcer or not by all accounts he hasn't even reached his prime yet, when it comes to hockey sense, awareness etc he's still maturing.

There's a chance he becomes a good role player still (besides punching faces as well as he already does)

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I'm watching Leafs Tv ATM and it's showing montages and stuff and I can't believe how similar Clarkson looks when he's pissed to Darcy tucker. If he becomes anything close to what tucker was for us, we're laughing.

Kirkpatrick

Oct 6, 2011
Ottawa
I'm watching Leafs Tv ATM and it's showing montages and stuff and I can't believe how similar Clarkson looks when he's pissed to Darcy tucker. If he becomes anything close to what tucker was for us, we're laughing.

He's got a touch of the crazy eyes.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario

Actually, I think Clarkson reminds me more of Corson than Tucker. He's got Corsons size and scoring ability. Tucker was more of an agitator, where as Corson was more of a policeman... That's what Clarkson reminds me of.

Don't know how many of you are old enough to remember the Islanders series where Corson shadowed Yashin (wasn't that long ago, but I'm always amazed).

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country

... you want Clarkson to get bought out when he's 33?

Actually, I think Clarkson reminds me more of Corson than Tucker. He's got Corsons size and scoring ability. Tucker was more of an agitator, where as Corson was more of a policeman... That's what Clarkson reminds me of.

Don't know how many of you are old enough to remember the Islanders series where Corson shadowed Yashin (wasn't that long ago, but I'm always amazed).

Yeah, I remember that series when Yashin scored 7 points in 7 games. Glad to see the myth of Corson's 'shadowing' lives on.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
... you want Clarkson to get bought out when he's 33?

Yeah, I remember that series when Yashin scored 7 points in 7 games. Glad to see the myth of Corson's 'shadowing' lives on.

Actually it's my mistake, Corson shadowed Yashin in the Ottawa series the year prior where he held him to one point in 4 games.

Secondly if your memory only goes back to the twilight of Corsons career where he was a role player then you're missing out on a very strong nhl career

Maccer

Bring back Pat!!
Mar 10, 2013
Leafs Nation
I think Orr right now has the unofficial fighting title but honestly think McLaren would beat him in a scrap. I won't be surprised if he's considered the best fighter in the league by the end of this season. If my memory is correct in one of the Ottawa games this Kassian gave Orr a good fight(maybe beat him?) then McLaren put him in his place later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->