Our Approach to D-Pairings

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Very few have #1s as weak is Rielly. They're probably around the 8th or 9th best group.

Rielly is very good, which is why he'll be on team canada with a bunch of other #1 dmen.

Muzzin is also #1 caliber, while Brodie is at worst an excellent #2.

Very very few teams can boast that.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The following would be my pairings if working under the assumption that this group comprises the starting six:

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Dermott

I wouldn't aim to equalize the minutes/usage as I don't believe they are all at the same level. I also wouldn't regularly pair Rielly with Dermott if there are questions surrounding both.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
The following would be my pairings if working under the assumption that this group comprises the starting six:

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Dermott

I wouldn't aim to equalize the minutes/usage as I don't believe they are all at the same level. I also wouldn't regularly pair Rielly with Dermott if there are questions surrounding both.

I don't disagree with you, but I don't want to finish the season still having questions about Rielly and Dermott.

Let's see what Rielly can do without Brodie and let's see what Dermott can do without being sheltered.

If it doesn't work we go back to top 4 / sheltered bottom pair model...and we have our answers too.

Reactions: Buds17

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Rielly is very good, which is why he'll be on team canada with a bunch of other #1 dmen.

I've got Rielly as the #24 defenseman in the league. Muzzin is #42 and Brodie #53.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I've got Rielly as the #24 defenseman in the league. Muzzin is #42 and Brodie #53.

So, based on the old "your defense should total 21 points or less" model, how are we doing?

A true #1 is worth 1 point and a #2 is worth 2 points, etc.

If Rielly is a top 32 D, then he is worth 1 point.

Rielly 1
Muzzin 2
Brodie 2
Holl 5
Dermott 6
Sandin 4 (???? No idea on this one)

That totals 20 points...not bad...of course this is not the most scientific of models as it doesn't take L/R into account or PP and PK...still...our D looks to be average to above average...maybe a better model is your top 7 totalling 27 or less points?

EDIT: this antiquated model does not suggest that 21 or less equals average, that would be best determined by how many teams had a lower number or higher number than you.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
So, based on the old "your defense should total 21 points or less" model, how are we doing?

EDIT: this antiquated model does not suggest that 21 or less equals average, that would be best determined by how many teams had a lower number or higher number than you.

Rielly 1
Muzzin 2
Brodie 2
Holl 5
Dermott 6

That totals 20 points...not bad...of course this is not the most scientific of models as it doesn't take L/R into account or PP and PK...still...our D looks to be average to above average...maybe a better model is your top 7 totalling 27 or less points?

We had a good top-4. I just don't think it's one of the best.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Rielly Brodie
Muzzin Holl
Dermott Liljegren
Sandin

Campbell
Mrazek

No need to galaxy brain this.

Reactions: aingefan

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Rielly 1
Muzzin 2
Brodie 2
Holl 5
Dermott 6

Holl is a 4 and a good one.

Dermott is a 5 and a good one.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Holl is a 4 and a good one.

Dermott is a 5 and a good one.

Agree on Holl for sure. That makes him one of the top 132 dmen in the league.

Is Dermott top 165? Probably.

I figured I would rank conservatively as I didn't have the energy to defend against the pessimists and haters.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

never dawned on you once that you may just be overrating the f*** out of our D?

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Dermott and Sandin or Liljegren scare me as the bottom pairing tbh. I see that having to be very sheltered. What made us so good last year was having a guy like Bogosian on that third pairing. We'll see how it all shakes out though. Organization seems higher on Sandin, but from what I've seen, Liljegren plays the more defensively sound game. Anyone know much about Brennan Menell? Is he someone who is supposed to challenge there as a right shot Dman?

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Dermott and Sandin or Liljegren scare me as the bottom pairing tbh. I see that having to be very sheltered. What made us so good last year was having a guy like Bogosian on that third pairing. We'll see how it all shakes out though. Organization seems higher on Sandin, but from what I've seen, Liljegren plays the more defensively sound game. Anyone know much about Brennan Menell? Is he someone who is supposed to challenge there as a right shot Dman?

Sandin had a bit of a setback with his injury last year on the Marlies but his numbers on the Leafs were actually really impressive in the 100+ minutes he got to play.

5v5:

CF%: 56.47
SF%: 57.51
SCF%: 58.69
HDCF%: 67.27
xGF%: 58.44
GF%: 79.84

I think he looks like a player on the cusp of a big breakout year. Look for him to receive an extended look and to get a decent amount of PP time.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Ha, I don’t even agree Rielly should be on the team. Trade him out now. He’s going to ask Werenski and Hamilton money. Why kid yourselves he’ll be signed with the Leafs.

It’s impossible so move him out. A bad G.M will not move him right away. I think Dubas keeps him and get nothing for him.

For the love of god, my friend, could you give us some respite? We know, we all know, my grandmother - rest her soul these past 30 years - knows that you are not a fan of Dubas, his hirings, his contract signings, his free agent picks, his draft choices, his choice of cereal in the morning, and his dog. In one thread, just one, where the topic of a GM is potentially raised, could you please, out of decency and my sanity, give it a f***ing rest! That was my frustration talking, but please, consider it as a kindly asked request. Thank you.

Reactions: aingefan

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Tbh I find it funny how scared leafs fans are to play their young 1st round pick AHL Allstars even on bottom lines, when every other fanbase pencils theirs into the top lines.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
For the love of god, my friend, could you give us some respite? We know, we all know, my grandmother - rest her soul these past 30 years - knows that you are not a fan of Dubas, his hirings, his contract signings, his free agent picks, his draft choices, his choice of cereal in the morning, and his dog. In one thread, just one, where the topic of a GM is potentially raised, could you please, out of decency and my sanity, give it a f***ing rest! That was my frustration talking, but please, consider it as a kindly asked request. Thank you.
Haha ok I’ll do that for ya

Reactions: meefer and aingefan
Sep 18, 2009

?

Leafs have 0 number 1 defensemen

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Tbh I find it funny how scared leafs fans are to play their young 1st round pick AHL Allstars even on bottom lines, when every other fanbase pencils theirs into the top lines.

Understanding that Leafs fans don't actually fill out the team's lineup cards, the hesitation definitely stems from the Leafs lack of commitment to a clear path of promotion for either Sandin or Liljegren, such as putting a number of bodies between them and meaningful regular season reps or else yo-yo'ing them from PP1 duties to the press box in the middle of a playoff round.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Understanding that Leafs fans don't actually fill out the team's lineup cards, the hesitation definitely stems from the Leafs lack of commitment to a clear path of promotion for either Sandin or Liljegren, such as putting a number of bodies between them and meaningful regular season reps or else yo-yo'ing them from PP1 duties to the press box in the middle of a playoff round.

Fair, but that's how it is when you have a good and deep roster.

Especially when it stays very healthy and is too tight to the cap to carry extras.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Rielly Brodie
Muzzin Holl
Dermott Liljegren
Sandin

Campbell
Mrazek

No need to galaxy brain this.
That’s my top 6, in that order, with hopes that Lili gets reps with Muzzin increasingly over the course of the year.
I know the FO and coach love Rasmus, but Lili has put in the time and developed well into a well rounder two way guy.
He’s earned a legit chance.
I won’t be pleased if the team finds a BogoV.2.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I don't agree with not wanting Rielly on the team, but I do worry about his next contract and this is also what makes the originally proposed pairings worth considering...if the 3 pairings above work out, then we know that we have a top 4 without Rielly because Sandin can step in with someone like Brodie beside him. We can also find out what we have in Dermott with a good partner (Rielly).

Sandin was exposed badly just last May, it is too early to count on him being in the top 4 (or even top 6) for at least another year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->