Line Combos: Our 6th D-man: Gilroy vs Eminger

marciiauzii

Nov 15, 2012
Latvia
This is sad.
Eminger or Gilroy makes one mistake they are benched, as well as bickel. So come playoffs Rangers gonna play with 5dmen.
Voted Eminger because of experience

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Gilroy for now cause he's hot, but let's not forget we've seen him play great before.

Then it just stops dead.

Vickers8

Gilroy hasn't been on the ice for a goal against. He's averaging over 10 minutes ATOI.

He's been solid. He brought a stabilizing presence to the third pair.

Eminger was shaky with the puck.

Gilroy has been decisive, has kept it simple, attacks when the opportunity presents itself. And he can move the puck.

Eminger career -50
Gilroy career +7

I agree totally, fast, joins the play, and has played smart and can carry more minutes

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I voted Gilroy, but they could easily get scratched for each other plenty of times this year, which is likely going to happen and already did happen. Gilroy has been fine, but he's in no way a lock over Eminger.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Eminger is a better player, and is the more steady, safe pick.

Gilroy hasn't been bad though. He's been better defensively in his few games this year than he was during the lockout in Hartford.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Gilroy brings a real skating element to the Rangers back-end. He joins the play well and creates some chances. The issue becomes when no one covers for him.

SupersonicMonkey*

"Eminger is 'better'".

Gilroy has been on the ice for 179 minutes, in which no goals were allowed.

Includes two games the Rangers allowed 3 goals against. Those two games he played over 10 minutes.

He has contributed to putting pressure on the opposition. He has contributed to the Rangers transition. He hasn't hurt them one iota defensively. He looks stronger on the boards then in his last tenure as a Ranger. He is playing simple and effective.

He continues to get the playing time, over Eminger, because Eminger is not "better" then Gilroy. Eminger may have been, but he isn't anymore. If anything they are about equal and Gilroy provides more jump to the transition and attack.

The situation in Hartford and the role he played in Hartford are not the same as what is happening in New York. In New York he isn't being relied on as the #1 defenseman. He doesn't have to carry the team's offense. There is significantly less responsibility on his shoulders. In Ottawa and Tampa they put more responsibility on him. He should never have left New York. He could have stayed and developed into the role he's in now.

They provide different skill sets.

And its dependent on what Tortorella wants out of his lineup.

NYROrtsFan

Feb 1, 2007
1. Emingers

2. Bickel
3. Gilroy

Can't stand Gilroy... Bickel brings toughness so that gets him the spot over Gilroy.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Eminger is better than Gilroy.

However, Gilroy has been playing very well. Besides the Devs game. If he keeps this up I have no problem with him in the line-up at all.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
I can't imagine anyone wanting to sit Gilly for Bickel at this point. G has played well lately.

I feel safer when Emi is on the ice, but Gilly brings the ability to carry the puck into the zone. With extremely, defensively sound guys like Girardi, Staalsy and McD out there, I think we need Gilly's O more than Emi's D.

Maybe my distrust in Gilroy is unwarranted, he hasn't done anything this year to earn it, but I remember how much of a turnover machine he was his last spell here. Guy couldn't even play four minute games on the wing without causing heart attacks.

Last edited:

16 To Stanley*

surprised Gilroy is a plus, maybe we just see is horrific turnovers.............Torts is going to play the merry go round all yr with the 6th Dman, if its a division rival its Bickel , otherwise he will chose between Gilroy and Eminger

by the deadline they will get a rental in

Learning the system is so important. I don't think a rental would be beneficial, unless he's a very good d-man.

16 To Stanley*

From this thread, I see people are still scarred from Gilroy's last go around with the team. He's been a completely different and more responsible player this year. And honestly, I despised gilroy and kicked his butt at the door last time he was here.

Vickers8

1. Emingers

2. Bickel
3. Gilroy

Can't stand Gilroy... Bickel brings toughness so that gets him the spot over Gilroy.

When you say Em is better, ok that's your opinion, but when you throw in Bickel too, c'mon...gotta love people who are blinded by hatred

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i feel dirty saying this...but Gilroy has played pretty well for a #6...can't bench him till he does something worth of benching.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
Gilroy for sure. But given the composition of the D, We need a more physical D man for that 6th spot, other than Eminger.
I thought Nick Petrecki would have been a good fit.

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007
Bickel. He plays his ass off every game. Not pretty but he tries hard which is what Tortorella likes about him

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Bickel. He plays his ass off every game. Not pretty but he tries hard which is what Tortorella likes about him

The Rangers should play me at 6 D, I don't know how to skate and I played hockey 1 time in my life. I'll try harder than everyone on the ice though.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Which is why he gives Bickel 3-4 minutes a game while he plays Gilroy 8-12 minutes? Come on, dude.

The stupid reasons people prefer scrubs over useful players is astonishing. You would have thought the Rangers traded Hank for Powe on facebook with how many Rangers fans were crying Rupp was traded. He's big and fights once in a while. Meanwhile, the "best" one yet. Bickel works hard so he should be in over vastly superior players. Amazing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad