Helene St. James Ouellet sent down, Marchenko makes team as #7

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Better defenceman goes down to play...

Worse defenceman stays up to sit on the bench... imo.

This is my read aswell. Jensen very clearly outplayed Marchenko and Ouellet has huge trust with Blash. They want these guys in game-shape for the first callup. Marchy could still get into a game on emergency basis and he gets to cash in some NHL money.

For Kindl, this is his last chance here. He should play the opener tomorrow like a cup final.

Actual Thought*

This falls under the who cares category. I am not losing sleep over the guy who isn't playing.

Jewell

Jun 19, 2015
You know that its the absolute last day of the offseason when the 7th defender spot is being debated.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
This is my read aswell. Jensen very clearly outplayed Marchenko and Ouellet has huge trust with Blash. They want these guys in game-shape for the first callup. Marchy could still get into a game on emergency basis and he gets to cash in some NHL money.

For Kindl, this is his last chance here. He should play the opener tomorrow like a cup final.

I think they are going to play Kindl a fair bit at first in hopes that his game takes a turn for the better under Blash. In a perfect world, he is the defensemen they really want to move.

On the whole I thought that Jensen played better than XO and Marchenko, but rosters are built on more than just preseason performances. I expect that all three will get a look at some point this season.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I also agree, I also find this as another example of why the entire 'New Era!!!!!!!!' stuff is a little bit of a hyperbole. Outside of Larkin, everything looks status quo.

Keeping up Lashoff would have been more in keeping with the previous regime...

We will see, I didn't like Marchenko's pre-season like everyone else around here it seems. I don't think this matter much over the course of a couple weeks though.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Keeping up Lashoff would have been more in keeping with the previous regime...

We will see, I didn't like Marchenko's pre-season like everyone else around here it seems. I don't think this matter much over the course of a couple weeks though.

Nah, Lashoff was always a placeholder, Marchenko leap frogged him and the rest of the defensemen last year because he was a RHD, the fact that Jensen was so good in the preseason and XO is better than Marchenko shows that Marchenko's spot from last year is still very secure.

I just think that looking at the line combos, everything looks very familiar. Hopefully the on-ice product is different. But really, I won't consider this season an improvement in any facet unless we get out of the 1st round at the very least.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
I also agree, I also find this as another example of why the entire 'New Era!!!!!!!!' stuff is a little bit of a hyperbole. Outside of Larkin, everything looks status quo.

Other than, of course, the huge signing of Mike Green and the new head coach.

I completely agree though. Once you remove all the major changes from consideration everything does sort of look the same as it always has.

Aug 6, 2012
This entire thing is a mess to be honest. I don't know what they plan on doing but they are about to run out of time.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
I think this is basically Kindl getting a tryout with the new coach. There are still some things to like there, and it's almost like a change of scenery that we've talked about for a couple of years that could benefit him. I don't want him in the every day lineup, and I think his ship has sailed, but I get giving him an audition.

I think Marchenko/Ouellet/Jensen (no idea as to which) will be playing ahead of him by game 15. We really need to move a defenseman... Quincey is the most logical. We just need to see these guys at the NHL level for an extended period.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I don't mind this. I don't think Kindl deserves it per se, but it makes sense to give him a chance under Blash, if for no other reason than to establish some trade value.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
I'd have to disagree.

Fair enough, I'm sure I'm in the minority with that opinion.

I believe Ouellet's skating is going to hold him back big time. For a defenseman his skating is just not good enough. He really hasn't shown much since Juniors imo either.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Fair enough, I'm sure I'm in the minority with that opinion.

I believe Ouellet's skating is going to hold him back big time. For a defenseman his skating is just not good enough. He really hasn't shown much since Juniors imo either.

They're both on the slower side to me, but March does have the reach advantage.

Neither has developed how I really was hoping. Injuries have hampered Marchenko, and Ouellet hasn't shown much offense.

I just like how Ouellet reads the game, he seems like a super smart guy and seems very reliable.

HockeyinHD

Jun 18, 2006
1) Bringing in Green made the push for more offense from the blueline, Ouellet's advantage over Marachenko, less relevant.

2) Ouellet's offense has been crap anyway.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
1) Bringing in Green made the push for more offense from the blueline, Ouellet's advantage over Marachenko, less relevant.

2) Ouellet's offense has been crap anyway.

Exactly, Marchenko's defense has been marginally better. That's why he's in there.

HockeyinHD

Jun 18, 2006
Weiss and Tootoo were bought out, And well Cleary was a waste of signing.

Well, you can't buy a guy out unless you waive them too.

But I still seriously doubt that Holland would put Kindl on waivers. Maybe next year with only one year left but I don't see it happening this year.

I tend to agree, but you seemed to be presenting waivers as something Holland would not do because he was opposed to the use of the mechanism. As I demonstrated he's pretty clearly not opposed to it.

Waiving Kindl now is, for the most part, dumb. It's not like with Weiss where there's some legitimate salary savings to be had and/or a major push for the roster space. If between now and next year some dman prospect demonstrates some modicum of worth and Kindl continues to blow, then maybe the calculus shifts.

Right now there's literally no evidence Kindl isn't a better dman today than Ouellet or Marachenko or Jensen or Sproul or the whole lot of them down there, warts and all.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Well, you can't buy a guy out unless you waive them too.

I tend to agree, but you seemed to be presenting waivers as something Holland would not do because he was opposed to the use of the mechanism. As I demonstrated he's pretty clearly not opposed to it.

Waiving Kindl now is, for the most part, dumb. It's not like with Weiss where there's some legitimate salary savings to be had and/or a major push for the roster space. If between now and next year some dman prospect demonstrates some modicum of worth and Kindl continues to blow, then maybe the calculus shifts.

Right now there's literally no evidence Kindl isn't a better dman today than Ouellet or Marachenko or Jensen or Sproul or the whole lot of them down there, warts and all.

I never said that waivers wasn't something that Holland wouldn't do, What I said is that I seriously doubt that Holland would put Kindl on waivers. Obviously he plans on putting certain players on waivers to clear space. Cleary Callahan could see Andersson maybe even Ferraro when Helm gets back. All I said is I seriously doubt that Holland would put Kindl on waivers so that one of the kids could stay up that's not Hollands style.

And I said that It could be possible that Holland could put kindl on waivers next summer to open up a spot for one of the kids. Because he would only have a year left at $2.4 million if Holland can't find a taker to trade with.

And no one is saying that kindl is any better then the kids, but obviously Holland must think he is or he wouldn't be in over any of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->