Ouellet or Blackburn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nordique

Blackburn has already been able to handle himself OK at the NHL level...so I'd take him.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
SingnBluesOnBroadway said:

I wouldn't say that he's been ruined yet, but IMO the Rangers have handled him improperly. Now he's missing most of this season with an injury.

At ages 18,19, & 20 he should have gotten to play 150 games. Blackburn is going to end up playing in 90 games.

Ouellet, while also missing 20+ games due to injury managed to play in 130+ games.

Also it's much easier to work on flaws in your game while playing in Jr. or the AHL, than NHL. IN the NHL it's all about W's & L's.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
SingnBluesOnBroadway said:
Most people around hockey think that NY ruined Blacky by playing him too early. He is now in the AHL where he should be at the age of 20.

Still too early to think NY ruined him, but his stock isnt as high as it was when he was 18 or 19.

X-SHARKIE

I'm an idiot. I did not realize Blackburn has been injured. I just noticed that he wasn't even getting play time in Hartford where the others goalies shined. My mistake.

This is a good question btw. But I really like Ouellet still. I havent seen Blackburn since last season. I would ask a Ranger fan how he looked in camp.

Dorthmall

Mar 2, 2003
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
This is a good question btw. But I really like Ouellet still. I havent seen Blackburn since last season. I would ask a Ranger fan how he looked in camp.

Injured all through camp, so we never got to see him play either.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
This is a strange comparison, because on the one hand you have a highly touted goalie who was 'rushed', in the absence of a better word, in Blackburn, but in Ouellette you have a highly touted goal who has barely seen the NHL. Totally opposite development paths, so while it's a hard choice I'll go for Ouellette, because I liked him when he was drafted and he's never shown any huge reason to think less of him.

Bud The Spud*

Blackburn, because like other people have said, he has proven himself at the NHL level.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
I would go with Dan Blackburn hands down. Blackburn was playing some good hockey for a player his age and had proved he was capable of a NHL level game. The only thing is the Rags had a not so good team and Daniel paid the price for that I just hope that it never ruined his confidence or ability to progress because Dan has the potential to be a world class goalie.

Liquidrage*

What did Blackburn prove in his two years in the NHL?

He got lit up in the NHL.

He had a right to get lit up, he was young. But he didn't prove anything. He actually struggled. He has a career save % of .890 and a GAA average over 3. And before you just blame it all on the Rangers D, realize Dunham posted a Save% of .924 to Blackburn's .890 last year and Dunham's GAA was allmost a full goal lower.

Yes, I know he had some brilliant saves, but he also let in a lot of softies. I consider what he did just par for the course and he has yet to prove he will be a good in the NHL, though that still may happen one day.

Of course Oulette hasn't proven anything in the NHL either.

Very hard to compare the two since Blackburn has been playing in the NHL and not looking great while Outlette time is all AHL and how he'd do in the NHL is all speculation.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Liquidrage said:
What did Blackburn prove in his two years in the NHL?

He got lit up in the NHL.

He had a right to get lit up, he was young. But he didn't prove anything. He actually struggled. He has a career save % of .890 and a GAA average over 3. And before you just blame it all on the Rangers D, realize Dunham posted a Save% of .924 to Blackburn's .890 last year and Dunham's GAA was allmost a full goal lower.

Yes, I know he had some brilliant saves, but he also let in a lot of softies. I consider what he did just par for the course and he has yet to prove he will be a good in the NHL, though that still may happen one day.

Of course Oulette hasn't proven anything in the NHL either.

Very hard to compare the two since Blackburn has been playing in the NHL and not looking great while Outlette time is all AHL and how he'd do in the NHL is all speculation.

On a horridly underachieving team like the rangers for a 18 year old goalie that is not so bad... But he never should have been placed in that situation because it could crush his confidence.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If I had to build a team I would pick Blackburn. If I had to pick which one will develop the best, at this stage, it's gotta be Ouellet. Who knows what the Rangers are planning with Blackburn next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad