Ryerson in 3 Games
Brock in 2 Games
Western in 2 Games
Guelph in 2 Games

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I really thought McGill was going to run away with the OUA regular season title. I was very wrong. I thought that UQTR would have a comeback year. Was wrong about that too.

Concordia will be playing UQTR in the first round. The two teams have a history. In particular the Ravens always losing to Les Patriots in the playoffs. If I had to choose one series to watch it would be that one.

I think the OUA West title is really open. Ryerson has a great offence but the goaltending stats are pretty bad.

Hope to see Ottawa at the Nationals. What a nice story that would be.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I just want to add that it is sad to see the state of the Lakehead Timberwolves. It has been over a decade since they were a really competitive team. Now they have missed the playoffs. Despite this they have the second best attendance in U Sports.

Why can't they recruit?

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Good question, They haven't had a recruiter since Pete Belliveau, the former Blue Eagle coach, who won a National championship. They were on the upswing when they came to Freddy for the 2003-4 Nationals and when they hosted in 2009-10, but have fallen off the map the last few years.
I believe they replaced Pete with former player, Joel Sherban and it went downhill from there.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Good question, They haven't had a recruiter since Pete Belliveau, the former Blue Eagle coach, who won a National championship. They were on the upswing when they came to Freddy for the 2003-4 Nationals and when they hosted in 2009-10, but have fallen off the map the last few years.
I believe they replaced Pete with former player, Joel Sherban and it went downhill from there.
They also won a National silver in Edmonton, back in 2005, losing to the Bears in the final.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Belliveau was the coach during the 2004/05 silver medal season.

Scherban replaced Don McKee after the 2008-2009 season. I remember it being a strange move at the time, giving an unproven coach the reins in between their hosting years.

Didn't they used to have really good luck bringing northern Ontario players back "home" after their junior careers were done? I thought I remember reading something awhile ago (it may have even been on here) about them having more difficulty recently getting those guys for whatever reason...maybe that part of the province isn't producing as many good players or their recruiting just hasn't been as good?

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
Belliveau was the coach during the 2004/05 silver medal season.

Scherban replaced Don McKee after the 2008-2009 season. I remember it being a strange move at the time, giving an unproven coach the reins in between their hosting years.

Didn't they used to have really good luck bringing northern Ontario players back "home" after their junior careers were done? I thought I remember reading something awhile ago (it may have even been on here) about them having more difficulty recently getting those guys for whatever reason...maybe that part of the province isn't producing as many good players or their recruiting just hasn't been as good?

Larry Bone/Bill Lonergan & Doug Hollinsky were scouting and helping out Belliveau in recruit department during Lakehead prime and from what I gather they did a lot of grunt work for Belliveau/Lakehead

Larry is still with Lakehead. Bill retired from scouting in 2006 or 2007 and Doug Hollinsky left in 2005 to help out Ryerson Rams and is now primary recruiter/head of hockey operations since 2015-16 season

This was way before I was Involve in my role in CIS/USports but I think you can look at these moves that cause ripple effect in recruiting/scouting department for Lakehead plus coaching changes didn’t help either.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
U of T put together a nice season after starting 2-8-3, including finishing 6-2. They don't score much, but they also don't allow their opponents to score much either. They won their season series with Ryerson 2-1. They should have a competitive series with Ryerson.

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
Oua 1st Rd Is completed as all series ended 2-0 sweeps and top 4 seeds in each Conference moves on.

2nd Rd Match & Prediction
West
Ryerson vs Guelph - Ryerson 3
Brock vs Western - Brock 3

East
Ottawa vs Queens - Queens 2
Carleton vs McGill - McGill 3

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
F I R S T R O U N D R E S U L T S

Using my scoring from the AUS pool

---------------------- OTT - CAR - McG - QUS | RYR - BRK - UWO - GPH = 32
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Drummer -------------- 2+2 - 2+1 - 2+2 - 2+2 | 2+2 - 2+2 - 2+1 - 2+1 = 29
UNB Bruins Fan ------- 2+2 - 2+1 - 2+2 - 2+1 | 2+2 - 2+1 - 2+1 - 2+2 = 28
MiamiHockey ---------- 2+2 - 2+1 - 2+2 - .0. | 2+1 - 2+2 - 2+2 - 2+2 = 26
northvanman ---------- 2+2 - 2+1 - 2+2 - 2+1 | .0. - 2+2 - .0. - 2+2 = 22
hockeyinsiderusports - 2+1 - .0. - 2+2 - 2+1 | 2+2 - 2+2 - .0. - .0. = 18

My round two:
OTT in 3
CAR in 2
RYR in 2
UWO in 3

Reactions: MiamiHockey

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
Both top seeds ousted tonight. Ottawa and Ryerson.

Ottawa was remarkable this year. Probably year ahead of schedule. Might need Goalie to put them over Top

Ryerson out for 4th year in a row (2nd Rd). And 3rd straight for Duco. Is Duco capable of winning big games. I’m not so sure, should be interesting off-season for Rams

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Gotta think this year goes down as a massive disappointment for McGill...all that talent and finish 3rd in the regular season and ousted in round 2.

It also means we will get three new OUA teams at the University Cup, although all four teams left have gone in recent memory.

Reactions: MiamiHockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad