Proposal: Ottawa's offseason (TB - Sergachev, PIT - Murray & BUF - Ristolainen)

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
The Sens are in the middle of a rebuild, their best players are extremely young, they're picking 3 and 5 in the upcoming draft. I don't see the reason for them to rush into expensive contracts for "established" players while simultaneously helping their rivals out during an unprecedented period of cap stagnation. This is a perfect time for the Sens to build slowly.
This 100%

If we want to isolate some of the kids and beef up the net we can do it in UFA. Bring back Lehner and Demelo and that’s it. Resign Duclair as he will be reasonably priced, seems to like it here and hasn’t had any issues at all. If we want to move Tierney we can likely collect an asset for him.

If our owner decides to help some teams out of cap hell take on some short term contracts for picks, prospects and roster spots. Include guys from the B-Sens who aren’t likely to make the jump so we always have the roster spots available for all the kids coming.

Our AHL team was playing fantastic before the shutdown and was led by Norris, Batherson, Formenton, Brown, Brannstrom, Jaros, Rudy, Abramov, etc. That doesn’t even account for Thomson, JBD and Pinto in other leagues. Those are all very young players without career AHL ringers at their side. That’s promising. Now add 2 top 5 picks, another first and 4 second rounders to that group. We have the luxury of patience right now combined with the ability to take chances on boom/bust types 4 times in the second round...

Sit tight on trades untill someone is against a cap wall and offers us something in the realm of Marleau last season

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Those kids won't have success playing wiith themselves.

OP correctly identified the lack of defense and goaltending in Ottawa and offered fair trades to address that.

After scrolling through a countless amount of terrible offers on here, these trades are by far some of the best I've seen. Lineup looks balanced and competitive too :nod:

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Raymond
Brown - Norris - Batherson
Formenton - Lundell - Gourde
Ryan - Paul - C. Brown
Anisimov

Chabot - Ristolainen
Sergachev - Thomson
Wolanin - Zaitsev
Zub

Murray
Daccord​
We gain some experience on the backend while throwing all our rookies in to the fire at once.
- 5 rookies in the top 6 being led by a 20yr old Tkatchuk.
- 2 rookies and Gourde on the 3rd line
- the 4th line might actually be the most effective in that lineup
- no checking line at all unless the 4th is that but with B Ryan I’m not so sure

On D we have our first rounder from last year in Thomson over in Europe who will be ready soon. JBD is taking one more year of college and will need small seasoning in AHL but I expect him full time in 2022.

Patience, patience. Doing the above is how you turn in to the oilers during their 10yr rebuild

Reactions: h2owned

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That will be a no from Tampa, not a hard no but still not going to work. There are parts of it that make sense but as a whole it isn't a great deal for us. Brannstrom being expansion exempt is a big plus but he's a far drop off from Sergachev. Duclair is an RFA coming off his best season so he'll want a raise. If he's getting 3M+ then the cap savings moving out Gourde isn't too much anyway. And the point in moving Gourde out would be to be able to sign Sergachev not trade him. The idea of replacing two pieces with two others who can step into the lineup right away and be a bit cheaper is appealing i just think we can get better value if we had to move Sergachev. I also don't know if the organization would want Duclair with his past history, we moved on from guys like DeAngelo, Drouin and Ingram cause of off ice issues.

I think you actually made the case for a "hard no."

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I think you actually made the case for a "hard no."

The reason it's not a hard no for me is because if we are forced to trade Sergachev getting back a replacement on an ELC, expansion exempt and can step into the lineup next year and provide some of what Sergachev did is a big plus. Sergachev is far superior to Brannstrom so getting just a 2nd as well isn't very good but the Islanders 1st might make me consider. No real need for Duclair if he will cost only 1-2M less than Gourde.

Hitemwith4

Jul 1, 2019
We without a doubt do the Sergachev deal.

Chabot-JBD
Sergachev-Thomson

Top 4 set for decade.

wouldnt Ottawa wait and see Brannstrom turns into, if the hype is true he will be come just as good as Sergachev or even better. And on top of it you have to take on Yanni Gourde's contract

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
The reason for the Sergachev trade is that he is a LHD, which is a false assumption. He can play play either side equally well, but has said that he prefers the right. He has played with Hedman and McD at times, and always with Coburn on the right. Next year he will probably be Hedman's full time partner.

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
The reason for the Sergachev trade is that he is a LHD, which is a false assumption. He can play play either side equally well, but has said that he prefers the right. He has played with Hedman and McD at times, and always with Coburn on the right. Next year he will probably be Hedman's full time partner.

It was taken into account.

Brannstrom is exactly the same. LHD that prefers to play on the right side and publicly stated so.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I don't think Sergachev is worth the risk for Ottawa as a rebuilder unless it's a great deal. Love him as a player, however I am very, very cautious about players who start their careers out on top 3 teams in the league and put up decent numbers. There's a big difference between passing the puck to Stamkos, Point, Kucherov etc than the top players of a bottom 5 team.

Breomike

Sep 19, 2018
- Drake Batherson: 146 NHL/AHL games over 2 seasons, will be entering his 3rd year of professional hockey.
- Logan Brown: 110 NHL/AHL games over 3 seasons, will be entering his 3rd year of professional hockey.
- Alex Formenton: 73 NHL/AHL games over 3 seasons, 2nd year pro.
- Josh Norris: 59 NHL/AHL games over 1 season, 2nd year pro.

Those are not your typical rookies. They've all paid their dues in the minors and proven that they're NHL quality. Just waiting for opportunity.

The ''real'' rookies are Stutzle, Raymond and Lundell. And still, all three are coming from professional men leagues.

OP's point is that stabilizing Ottawa's backend and injecting it with experience allows the young talent to shine up front. I agree.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
Rumors of Ottawa being interested in Matt Murray. Some of the players involved in these proposals getting better exposure during the playoffs. Worth a re-visit 3 months later?

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
To :bolts

Erik Brannstrom
(865K x 2 years)
Anthony Duclair (RFA)
CBJ, DAL or NYI 2nd rounder (#39-50)

To :sens

Mikhail Sergachev
(RFA)
Yanni Gourde (5.16M x 5 years)​

TBL gets 2 ELC years of an elite, NHL-ready, expansion draft exempt prospect. Brannstrom is a better fit to slot behind Hedman and Mcdonagh until he grabs a top-4 spot. He might also be a better fit on TB’s blueline overall as an offensively gifted player that can run a #1PP. Hedman is great, but more of a two-way player than a dazzling offensive star. While undersized, Brannstrom has sound defensive instincts and is very sturdy for his height. TBL also flips the declining Gourde contract for Duclair RFA rights, freeing up 10.5M to bridge the latter, Cirelli and Cernak. Finally, they receive the highest of three second round picks.

OTT gets the better player today and the better fit to play behind Chabot who eats up all the #1 PP minutes for the next decade. They have the cap space to sign Sergachev for 6-7M long term and gamble on Gourde in hope that rebounds with a fresh start.

Stamkos - Point - Kucherov
Palat - Cirelli - Barré-Boulet
Killorn - Johnson - Duclair
Coleman - Paquette - Goodrow
Maroon

Hedman - Cernak
McDonagh - Shattenkirk
Brannstrom - Foote
Coburn

Vasilevsky
Mcelhinney​

To :pens

Colin White (4.75M x 5 years)
Filip Gustavsson (775K x 1 year)
CBJ, DAL or NYI 2nd rounder (#40-61)

Matt Murray (RFA)
PIT gets a young two-way center to slot behind Crosby/Malkin. Filip Gustavsson returns to the Pens to restock the goalies cupboard while DeSmith graduates to the NHL. Pittsburgh also gets the second highest of three 2nd round picks.

OTT gets a two-times cup winner looking for a payday in nets. Murray has dealt with inconsistent play and health issues recently.

Zucker - Crosby - McCann
Guentzel - Malkin - Rust
Marleau - White - Hornqvist
Sheary - Bjugstad - Tanev
Blueger/Simon

Dumoulin - Letang
Pettersson - Marino
Johnson - Schultz

Jarry
DeSmith

To :sabres

Chris Tierney (RFA)
Rudolfs Balcers (RFA)
CBJ, DAL or NYI 2nd rounder (#41-62)

Rasmus Ristolainen
(5.4M x 2 years)​

BUF gets a legitimate center to slot behind Eichel, a top 9 prospect with a scoring touch, the lowest of three 2nd round pick.

Ottawa provides Ristolainen a fresh start and gives him a chance to play with Chabot until Jacob Bernard-Docker is ready to take over that spot.

Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart
Olofsson - Tierney - Kahun
Johanson - Thompson - Simmonds
Girgensons - Lazar - Okposo
Larsson/Balcers

Dahlin - Jokiharju
McCabe - Montour
Pilut - Miller
Hunwick

Ullmark
Hutton​

***​

Ottawa drafts:
Tim Stützle at #3
Lucas Raymond at #5
Uses the Isles 1st and #33 to move up and grab Anton Lundell as the center of the future.

Extends Sergachev at 6.5M x 7 years
Extends Murray at 7M x 5 years

Finishes the 2020-2021 season with:

Tkachuk - Brown - Batherson
Stützle - Norris - Raymond
Formenton - Lundell - Gourde
Ryan - Paul - C. Brown
Anisimov

Chabot - Ristolainen/JBD
Sergachev - Thomson
Wolanin - Zaitsev
Boro/Zub

Murray
Daccord​
Pens probably take that....

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Rumors of Ottawa being interested in Matt Murray. Some of the players involved in these proposals getting better exposure during the playoffs. Worth a re-visit 3 months later?

I think the only thing that has really changed with the Penguins is that they're apparently asking for futures for Murray due to the cap.

I think Murray to Ottawa would either be for the Islanders 1st or for Ottawa's 2nd plus one of their later 2nds. Personally, I'd rather have more picks and get the early 2nd and late 2nd over the late 1st.

Reactions: Crosside

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I think the only thing that has really changed with the Penguins is that they're apparently asking for futures for Murray due to the cap.

I think Murray to Ottawa would either be for the Islanders 1st or for Ottawa's 2nd plus one of their later 2nds. Personally, I'd rather have more picks and get the early 2nd and late 2nd over the late 1st.
It s a deal. I don t know why it take time for Dorion to make the deal

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
These are brutal trades for sens. I never want to see a lineup with Logan brown as our first line centre
There isn’t one experienced Center in that line up. This attempt at filling out the roster served as a reminder that Dorion created too many holes to fill.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
That line up might be one of the youngest rosters ever iced in an NHL game. There’s a reason most rebuilding teams will keep a couple good players, they should have found a way to resign Stone and Pageau those guys liked playing here and you need good vets for the young players to learn from. This roster will be too inexpirenienced to effectively play DJs systems and it will be another bad year for development.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Either Colin White is a lot less valuable than I thought, or you're overvaluing Murray. It's probably the latter which is why I'd say yes despite the fact Pittsburgh doesn't really need another centre and does need to move cap - even if we just flipped him right away though, that'd probably be the best offer going.
Believe it or not we actually do, as greedy as that sounds. Our top six is set with a Crosby, Malkin, Zucker, Guentzel, Kapanen, and Rust. We have a good young center in Bleuger but he should probably stay the 4c for now. Our third line was ass in the playoffs (Marleau-McCann-Hornqvist). So we need a 3C, and ideally we ship out McCann, Bjugstad, and Hornqvist and completely rebuild said line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad