Proposal: Ottawa's offseason (TB - Sergachev, PIT - Murray & BUF - Ristolainen)

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
I wouldn't move Murray in this deal. I think if we were to shop him then we'd get a better return elsewhere. Not saying a King's ransom or anything, but there's better pieces out there that could help us. I'm also not 100% sold on Jarry just yet. Need to see more from him before the expansion draft.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Well he's been on 5 teams already in his career. Cooper ran Drouin out of town because he wasn't diligent defensively. There's too much risk to bring a guy like that into the team. Gourde is one of Coopers most reliable players who he leans on a lot in tough situations. The cap savings moving Gourde out for Duclair at 2.5 or 3M is great but if he's not a fit and wouldn't be used properly it doesn't make sense.

Yeah Drouin is a better comparison. I think we should be careful ascribing "off ice issues" to players when there is no evidence of that.

Breomike

Sep 19, 2018
Brown is only slotted on the first line because at some point, he has to be given a chance to be that guy and run with it.

Tierney, Pageau, White all got their chances to play top minutes and proved that they're middle six guys.

If Brown takes it, Ottawa has a 6ft6' top six playmaking center. If he doesn't, Stutzle moves to center earlier as the offensive star while Lundell is slowly developed as a Koivu/Kopitar type.

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Raymond
Brown - Norris - Batherson
Formenton - Lundell - Gourde
Ryan - Paul - C. Brown
Anisimov

Chabot - Ristolainen
Sergachev - Thomson
Wolanin - Zaitsev
Zub

Murray
Daccord​

Well thought out trades for all involved OP. Ottawa might be overpaying a bit overall, but it's worth it. Great looking lineup.

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
I think these are good moves from Ottawa's end.

The one thing I didn't like was "Extends Murray at 7M x 5 years". That's just way too much. Murray is too inconsistent to be worth anything more than $5m long term.

Maybe the Pens deal is almost fair.

Actually don't hate the Tampa deal as much as I thought I would. Don't think I'd accept, but it makes me think at least.

Well thought out trades for all involved OP. Ottawa might be overpaying a bit overall, but it's worth it. Great looking lineup.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
To :bolts

Erik Brannstrom
(865K x 2 years)
Anthony Duclair (RFA)
CBJ, DAL or NYI 2nd rounder (#39-50)

To :sens

Mikhail Sergachev
(RFA)
Yanni Gourde (5.16M x 5 years)​

TBL gets 2 ELC years of an elite, NHL-ready, expansion draft exempt prospect. Brannstrom is a better fit to slot behind Hedman and Mcdonagh until he grabs a top-4 spot. He might also be a better fit on TB’s blueline overall as an offensively gifted player that can run a #1PP. Hedman is great, but more of a two-way player than a dazzling offensive star. While undersized, Brannstrom has sound defensive instincts and is very sturdy for his height. TBL also flips the declining Gourde contract for Duclair RFA rights, freeing up 10.5M to bridge the latter, Cirelli and Cernak. Finally, they receive the highest of three second round picks.

OTT gets the better player today and the better fit to play behind Chabot who eats up all the #1 PP minutes for the next decade. They have the cap space to sign Sergachev for 6-7M long term and gamble on Gourde in hope that rebounds with a fresh start.

Stamkos - Point - Kucherov
Palat - Cirelli - Barré-Boulet
Killorn - Johnson - Duclair
Coleman - Paquette - Goodrow
Maroon

Hedman - Cernak
McDonagh - Shattenkirk
Brannstrom - Foote
Coburn

Vasilevsky
Mcelhinney​

To :pens

Colin White (4.75M x 5 years)
Filip Gustavsson (775K x 1 year)
CBJ, DAL or NYI 2nd rounder (#40-61)

Matt Murray (RFA)
PIT gets a young two-way center to slot behind Crosby/Malkin. Filip Gustavsson returns to the Pens to restock the goalies cupboard while DeSmith graduates to the NHL. Pittsburgh also gets the second highest of three 2nd round picks.

OTT gets a two-times cup winner looking for a payday in nets. Murray has dealt with inconsistent play and health issues recently.

Zucker - Crosby - McCann
Guentzel - Malkin - Rust
Marleau - White - Hornqvist
Sheary - Bjugstad - Tanev
Blueger/Simon

Dumoulin - Letang
Pettersson - Marino
Johnson - Schultz

Jarry
DeSmith

To :sabres

Chris Tierney (RFA)
Rudolfs Balcers (RFA)
CBJ, DAL or NYI 2nd rounder (#41-62)

Rasmus Ristolainen
(5.4M x 2 years)​

BUF gets a legitimate center to slot behind Eichel, a top 9 prospect with a scoring touch, the lowest of three 2nd round pick.

Ottawa provides Ristolainen a fresh start and gives him a chance to play with Chabot until Jacob Bernard-Docker is ready to take over that spot.

Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart
Olofsson - Tierney - Kahun
Johanson - Thompson - Simmonds
Girgensons - Lazar - Okposo
Larsson/Balcers

Dahlin - Jokiharju
McCabe - Montour
Pilut - Miller
Hunwick

Ullmark
Hutton​

***​

Ottawa drafts:
Tim Stützle at #3
Lucas Raymond at #5
Uses the Isles 1st and #33 to move up and grab Anton Lundell as the center of the future.

Extends Sergachev at 6.5M x 7 years
Extends Murray at 7M x 5 years

Finishes the 2020-2021 season with:

Tkachuk - Brown - Batherson
Stützle - Norris - Raymond
Ryan - Paul - C. Brown
Anisimov

Chabot - Ristolainen/JBD
Sergachev - Thomson
Wolanin - Zaitsev
Boro/Zub

Murray
Daccord​
None of these trades will happen.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Penguins decline... mccann is already better and will cost less in that slot... if murray goes it's for D help..why cant anyone understand this!!!! The pens already have a deep forward group including the best 4th line in hockey... they need young D help...
in moving murry, we need to make the best deal we can. even if it;s not what we need, it should be easer to filp a better player for what we do need. imo

Reactions: Breomike

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
reading the subject, i think this might best be a 3-way trade that doesn't even involve Ottawa, just lands Murray in Buffalo

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
The Sens are in the middle of a rebuild, their best players are extremely young, they're picking 3 and 5 in the upcoming draft. I don't see the reason for them to rush into expensive contracts for "established" players while simultaneously helping their rivals out during an unprecedented period of cap stagnation. This is a perfect time for the Sens to build slowly.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
in moving murry, we need to make the best deal we can. even if it;s not what we need, it should be easer to filp a better player for what we do need. imo
There will be good offers .. far better than proposed where the pens wont have to flip...

Breomike

Sep 19, 2018
There will be good offers .. far better than proposed where the pens wont have to flip...

Far better than proposed?

That's a young 40-50 points 2-way C. A good goalie prospect and a mid 2nd rounder in a deep draft...

Breomike

Sep 19, 2018
The Sens are in the middle of a rebuild, their best players are extremely young, they're picking 3 and 5 in the upcoming draft. I don't see the reason for them to rush into expensive contracts for "established" players while simultaneously helping their rivals out during an unprecedented period of cap stagnation. This is a perfect time for the Sens to build slowly.

Those kids won't have success playing wiith themselves.

OP correctly identified the lack of defense and goaltending in Ottawa and offered fair trades to address that.

After scrolling through a countless amount of terrible offers on here, these trades are by far some of the best I've seen. Lineup looks balanced and competitive too :nod:

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Raymond
Brown - Norris - Batherson
Ryan - Paul - C. Brown
Anisimov

Chabot - Ristolainen
Sergachev - Thomson
Wolanin - Zaitsev
Zub

Murray
Daccord​

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Gourde has a full NTC. Full. They chance he waives that to play on arguably the worst team in the nhl in arguably its worst city with the worst owner paying Canadian taxes is 0.000%. It is beyond nonsensical to suggest otherwise. Might as well include Tom Brady and Vin Diesel in the trade to make it more realistic.

gourde belongs to Tampa for the next several seasons until that full ntc becomes limited.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Murray would get shredded in Ottawa. Their roster needs to grow a bit before their answer in net is acquired. White is also a very expensive 3rd line center for the Pens.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Thank you for the constructive feedback!

Duclair has been excellent in Ottawa. The Sens are like TB when it comes to players with attitude/off ice issues. With Duclair, there has been none.

He's speedy, at times electric and very capable of creating offense on his own. So much so that the biggest knock on him would be that he needs to use his teammates more. Huge shot and a potent secondary scoring threat. A powerhouse like Tampa could be the perfect landing spot for him.

Because of those alleged past issues, the tax situation in TB and the fact that he's just now coming into his own as a consistent offensive winger, he wouldn't have much leverage for a payday yet.

Anthony Cirelli: 4.5M x 3 years
Erik Cernak: 3.5M x 2 years
Anthony Duclair: 2.5M x 2 years

Seems doable, no?

so Duclair watches Cirelli (16g/44pts in 68 games) get 4.5, and he is gonna be ok with 2.5 coming off 23g/40pts in 66 games?

nah

Duclair is gonna point to [email protected] (20g/43pts in 73 games) and [email protected] (20g/44pts in 78 games) and argue he deserves more.

3.5x3 sounds about right

Reactions: BradyTkachucky

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Either Colin White is a lot less valuable than I thought, or you're overvaluing Murray. It's probably the latter which is why I'd say yes despite the fact Pittsburgh doesn't really need another centre and does need to move cap - even if we just flipped him right away though, that'd probably be the best offer going.

White looks like he may have been a product of Marc Stone. The fanbase is still undecided, so his value is all over the place depending on who you ask.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
White looks like he may have been a product of Marc Stone. The fanbase is still undecided, so his value is all over the place depending on who you ask.

Thanks for the info.

That said - as long as he's got enough value that we can flip him immediately for a good prospect or couple of first 100 picks - it's still a probable overpayment imo.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Trades are mostly well thought out just a few random thoughts.

1. I doubt Gourde waives his NMC to go from a no tax contender to a rebuilder.

2. Trading up for Lundell is smart if he falls, fits a need.

3. I don’t think having 7 rookie forwards in your top nine is a recipe for long term success, most those kids need to develop in lesser roles.

Reactions: h2owned

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Far better than proposed?

That's a young 40-50 points 2-way C. A good goalie prospect and a mid 2nd rounder in a deep draft...
When time comes the pens will fetch a young d man for murray...no need for picks prospects etc. Win now mode means win NOW.... we know some teams that have interest like Colorado Detroit Toronto san jose ....ott is not the only option

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad