Ottawa's 20 goal scorers

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
It's the height of stupidity, because teams literally waste years trying to find chemistry like what Duchene and Hoffman are showing with their top line guys.

We get a #1C. We have a sniper playing with him and they are clicking.

What are we allegedly doing? Shopping the sniper to get a new 2nd line centre. Classic.

In hackneyed memespeak:

Step 1: Draft and develop high end LW sniper.
Step 2: Trade assets for a high end #1 Centre who has great chemistry with said sniper.
Step 3: Immediately trade LW sniper for a #2 Centre.
Step 4 : ???? profit??

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
It's the height of stupidity, because teams literally waste years trying to find chemistry like what Duchene and Hoffman are showing with their top line guys.

We get a #1C. We have a sniper playing with him and they are clicking.

What are we allegedly doing? Shopping the sniper to get a new 2nd line centre. Classic.

In hackneyed memespeak:

Step 1: Draft and develop high end LW sniper.
Step 2: Trade assets for a high end #1 Centre who has great chemistry with said sniper.
Step 3: Immediately trade LW sniper for a #2 Centre.
Step 4 : ???? profit??
You forgot to trade Karlsson in this scenario too

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
How many posts/crossbar does Hoff have this year?
With Duchene and a tiny bit more luck next year he reaches 30 I think

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
How many posts/crossbar does Hoff have this year?
With Duchene and a tiny bit more luck next year he reaches 30 I think

8 according to NHL.com. Plus he's shooting at just under 10%, which is his worst shooting % in any full season. I agree with you, he could get 30.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Hoffman : 22 Goals in 72 Games
Duchene : 22 Goals in 72 Games (* some games in Colorado)
Dzingel : 20 Goals in 69 Games
Stone : 20 Goals in 58 Games
Brassard : 20 Goals in 69 Games (* some games in Pittsburgh)

Turris only has 13 goals in 66 games this year so far

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
name one game where the commentator doesn’t comment on hoffman’s shot and how it’s apparently “one of the best in the league” not hating on the guy... he’s a talented player just a BIT overrated i think. unless of course he lives up to it and actually scores 30+ goals
That is a good point. They say that a heck of a lot, and they marvel at the amount of posts he hits every game.

Reactions: DanyHeatley

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
20 goals is a nice achievement , a good achievement but not a great achievement ..

If I'm Dzingel .. I'm really happy
If I'm Duchene or Hoffman or Stone.. yah its ok
Stone would have 35 every year if he could remain healthy and consistent. IMO. So, I definitely agree he probably expects better years to come.

And I remember when Duchene hit 30 goals with Roy freaking out post game about Duchene's celebration. So, there's that.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
That was 2 seasons ago when he played with Pageau and Stone.

Last year he had 16 goals.

And then he was put back in a checking role when GB showed up. Same for Pageau, when they are put with goal scorers they produce pts but these coaches constantly put them back into checking line roles. With Brassard gone Pageau has become the defacto 2nd line centre until they find a legitimate 2nd line centre.

Reactions: Back in Black

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
And then he was put back in a checking role when GB showed up. Same for Pageau, when they are put with goal scorers they produce pts but these coaches constantly put them back into checking line roles. With Brassard gone Pageau has become the defacto 2nd line centre until they find a legitimate 2nd line centre.
Nothing wrong with putting more talent on Mark Stone's line.

Smith, in reality, should have been dealt after the season he led the Senators in goals.

Too often in recent times, this franchise sells low and/or late (Spezza, Cowen, Bishop).

Would be great if there was the internal ability to evaluate when to optimally divest. Smith's optimal time was when he was scoring and fighting, neither of which he does anymore.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Smith, in reality, should have been dealt after the season he led the Senators in goals.

Too often in recent times, this franchise sells low and/or late (Spezza, Cowen, Bishop).

Would be great if there was the internal ability to evaluate when to optimally divest. Smith's optimal time was when he was scoring and fighting, neither of which he does anymore.
Fighting is down & on it's way out in the NHL, it's becoming more rare than Bigfoot. And AGAIN he isn't scoring because he is in a checking role not on a scoring line, there is a huge difference in these two things. It's also clear that fans just don't value all of the other things Smith does which is why he is a hot commodity around the trade deadline. He takes all the important faceoffs even when Pageau or Duchene are on the ice, he's the first guy GB puts out on the PK because he is one of the best defensive forwards Ottawa has & he is defensively responsible something this team needs more of from their forwards. Smith can play centre or LW, takes faceoffs, plays the PK, is hard to play against, plays with an edge & is one of their two best defensive forwards. All of these things fans either don't notice or don't care about but coaches do & want on their teams.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Aragorn you keep saying that Smith hasn't been given ample offensive opportunity and only plays a checking role, yet he was given a chance on the wing with Brasard, Turris AND Duchene at different times this season, along with time on the PP. He was taken off those lines every time for lack of production. This is why he only has 5 goals this season. With MacArthur injured Smith was the first one to be given the chance to replace him, and he failed considerably.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Fighting is on it's way out of the NHL, it's becoming more rare than Bigfoot. GB has put Smith back in a checking role, he is not on a scoring line, there is a huge difference in these two things which is why his scoring is down. If they should sell high than why shouldn't they trade Karlsson this summer?

Smith does so many things that most fans just don't appreciate but coaches do. Smith takes most of the important faceoffs even when Pageau or Duchene are on the ice. Smith is usually the first guy GB puts on the PK, he can play centre or LW, he is a very responsible defensive forward probably one of the two best on the team. He plays with an edge & is a difficult player to play against. There are a number of guys on this team I would move before Smith.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Fighting is on it's way out of the NHL, it's becoming more rare than Bigfoot. GB has put Smith back in a checking role, he is not on a scoring line, there is a huge difference in these two things which is why his scoring is down. If they should sell high than why shouldn't they trade Karlsson this summer?

Smith does so many things that most fans just don't appreciate but coaches do. Smith takes most of the important faceoffs even when Pageau or Duchene are on the ice. Smith is usually the first guy GB puts on the PK, he can play centre or LW, he is a very responsible defensive forward probably one of the two best on the team. He plays with an edge & is a difficult player to play against. There are a number of guys on this team I would move before Smith.
Who would you move before Smith besides the obvious choices?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Who would you move before Smith besides the obvious choices?
I'm not sure who you mean by obvious choices. But I would move Pyatt, Burrows, Gaborik, Paajarvi, McCormick & Ryan only because of the contract. I would also consider Pageau at some point because we have a number of centres coming who may have more upside in Brown, Chlapik, White & Batherson.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Didn't SMITH get 20 last year moving up to a higher line?
Unfortunately Not. He scored 20 or more once in his career 2 years ago when he got 25. Most were saying his shooting % that year was not sustainable. Last year he had 16 which is ok. This year could end up being his worst in goals/game since 2010/11. I am quite sure he had much more top 6 time and PP time this year than back then as well..

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010

Funny you say that; here's a thread titled "Value of Erik Karlsson at the draft" that I created on the main boards last summer.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/erik-karlsson-at-the-draft.2211665/

Knowing that the relationship between Melnyk and Karlsson was showing signs of souring, and knowing he had two full years left on a sweetheart deal (with a limited NTC set to kick in July 1st), I was saying that if it doesn't look good that he will re-sign, last years draft could have been the opportunity to get a kings ransom.

If he gets traded this summer, it will be to a limited market of teams as a rental, and it will have been another case of too little, too late. The return will most certainly be a fraction of what it could have been last year coming off his run.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Aragorn you keep saying that Smith hasn't been given ample offensive opportunity and only plays a checking role, yet he was given a chance on the wing with Brasard, Turris AND Duchene at different times this season, along with time on the PP. He was taken off those lines every time for lack of production. This is why he only has 5 goals this season. With MacArthur injured Smith was the first one to be given the chance to replace him, and he failed considerably.

Smith is the go to guy for the coach to replace players who get injured which is why he has been up & down the lineup whenever a top 6 player gets hurt & can't play. He's not being given a chance, he earns that opportunity with his play & specifically with his defensive play. This team has allowed over 100 more goals this yr I believe than last yr in the same amount of time, they need to be better defensively. He isn't taken off the top six because he doesn't produce enough offensively but when the player returns from injury. He actually helps prevent goals when he is on a top six line.

And as we have seen in the last few games which forwards are responsible for piss poor defensive play are the players in the top 6 more so than the bottom six players. The latest line GB has created has Smith playing centre inbetween Paarjarvi & Pyatt, not exactly offensive players. But that just shows you the importance of Smith who can play LW or centre on a scoring line or on a checking line. Even when he isn't scoring on a scoring line he can play a defensive role to hopefully prevent goals against. He may be their most versatile player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad