Ottawa WJC Bid Reaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel_Tkaczuk

May 4, 2003
Downtown Halifax
Visit site
"It was a joke. I thought it was an edge that we had, but I guess it wasn't enough," Hunt said with a grunt. "If they're head and shoulders above us then I'll eat my shirt." -- http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam040130/wjhc_ott-sun.html

Their organizing committee's attitude is probably one of Ottawa's main obstacles in getting the juniors. They blew up after the decision for Halifax to get it, and now again when Vancouver was given the nod. I don't see the fact it was awarded to Vancouver as a shock. Why not be diplomatic about it and accept the fact you might have to wait another few years instead of whining and causing further embarassment?

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
We've been discussing it a bit in this thread:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=47839&page=1&pp=15

IMO the reaction was quite childish and seemed like nothing more than sour grapes. That Hunt would imply that the bid process was "rigged" with absolutely no evidence to support is claim is pretty ridiculous. Yeh, it stinks for Ottawa that they've bid three times and lost but that doesn't mean that the process is rigged and that everyone is out to make sure Ottawa loses. There were many very good bids and all of the finalists could make strong cases to be the host city, but ultimately only one could be selected.

Dr_Chimera*

incawg said:
We've been discussing it a bit in this thread:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=47839&page=1&pp=15

IMO the reaction was quite childish and seemed like nothing more than sour grapes. That Hunt would imply that the bid process was "rigged" with absolutely no evidence to support is claim is pretty ridiculous. Yeh, it stinks for Ottawa that they've bid three times and lost but that doesn't mean that the process is rigged and that everyone is out to make sure Ottawa loses. There were many very good bids and all of the finalists could make strong cases to be the host city, but ultimately only one could be selected.

One of his points is that they came in close second to Halifax before, so it was their turn.

It wasn't the best reaction, that is for sure. But I think Hunt is on to something.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
there was some discussion about the whole process in Winnipeg after the Winnipeg bid failed to reach the top 5.

Speculation was/is that Winnipeg had zero chance of being selected because they hosted it in 99 and that the only reason they asked them to bid was to create a euphoric atmosphere and push the cash flow guarantees higher for the event. Common beleif is the decision was made before the whole process begun which strikes the frustration that is apparent in Ottawa now. Where there is smoke there is probably some fire. It's certainly worth investigating.

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
Dr_Chimera said:
One of his points is that they came in close second to Halifax before, so it was their turn.

So in essence he's saying he'd like it to be pre-determined...but only if Ottawa is the pre-determined winner.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Daniel_Tkaczuk said:
"It was a joke. I thought it was an edge that we had, but I guess it wasn't enough," Hunt said with a grunt. "If they're head and shoulders above us then I'll eat my shirt." -- http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam040130/wjhc_ott-sun.html

Their organizing committee's attitude is probably one of Ottawa's main obstacles in getting the juniors. They blew up after the decision for Halifax to get it, and now again when Vancouver was given the nod. I don't see the fact it was awarded to Vancouver as a shock. Why not be diplomatic about it and accept the fact you might have to wait another few years instead of whining and causing further embarassment?

The "fix" was in fromthe getgo......the supposed argument that Vancouver /B.C. won it because the had the 2010 Olympics and NEEDED a dry run of a world class event to test organization and logistics in preparing for the Olympics --is hogwash-----that of course IS the reason the politicos interfered and awarded the bid to the--but it is in FACT a lame rationale--the WJHC will not attract the masses of foreigers coming to support their national teams that the Olympics will --they are aples and oranges.........no comparison......but the politicos that interefered are too STUPID to realize that--so they bought into this ludicrous plea from Vancvouver/B.C. that they NEEDED the event as a practice to iron out kinks in the organizing for 2010 and also into the even crazier idea that promoting Vancouver and B.C. at this "world class event" would do endless wonders in publicity and make tens of thousands more euros and Americans aware of their wondrous attractions and therefore want to plunk money down on travel plans to come visit in 2010...that is a CROCK ---any Euros or Americans (or even Canadians from other provinces) are going to come solely because of the Winter Olympics in 2010--this event does NOTHING to enhance the potential number of outof province visitors in 2010.........IN ANY CASE--the OTTAWA area was jobbed by this rigged process! Period...It is obvious to anyone...It is like a $32 million Super Seven winner buys another ticket for 6/49 AT THE SAME STORE and wins that lottery too ...SMELLS FISHY to me...this decision was NOT WON ON THE MERITS but clearly had political interference from the Federal Government when it was supposed to be a fair process decided by Hockey Canada (which is still a creature of the Government Of Canada and not immune to interference from above)....Clearly the B.C. caucus made its case to the P.M.O. and probably got Tourism Canada on board too --despite the ludicrous claims that this would boost publicity for Canada and the 2010 Olympics)....this decision STINKS!

IceMelter

Feb 23, 2003
The Wack
Whats so wrong about BC finally getting the games, they have never ever ever had it, in the existance of the WJC not once has it been in BC, why such a big deal that we finally get it out here.

Daniel_Tkaczuk

May 4, 2003
Downtown Halifax
Visit site
KillerWhale said:
Whats so wrong about BC finally getting the games, they have never ever ever had it, in the existance of the WJC not once has it been in BC, why such a big deal that we finally get it out here.

I think it's possible a lot of the votes that went to Halifax last time went to Vancouver this time. Vancouver hosting the event for a dry run benefits the whole country in the long run. We want the Olympics to go off without a problem.

I don't think this is about attracting foreigners either. This is about making sure all of the internal organizing factors work. Then they'll have time to correct them. And the WJCs will get a ton of tourists, which is a good way to tell if things are going to work out well on a smaller scale.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Daniel_Tkaczuk said:
I think it's possible a lot of the votes that went to Halifax last time went to Vancouver this time. Vancouver hosting the event for a dry run benefits the whole country in the long run. We want the Olympics to go off without a problem.

I don't think this is about attracting foreigners either. This is about making sure all of the internal organizing factors work. Then they'll have time to correct them. And the WJCs will get a ton of tourists, which is a good way to tell if things are going to work out well on a smaller scale.

You do realize THREE people vote right? And it was "unanimous"? And that one of the Voters was inducted into the BC hockey hall of fame 2 weeks ago? Also of note is that the 2 primary reasons Ottawa lost last time was because of a) the ticket deposits Halifax had and b) the amount of guaranteed money. So Ottawa goes out and a) gets 18,500 ticket deposits, and b) guarantees what I believe is the most money of any of the bids, and yet it is ignored. Hunt (and I think justifiably so) is tired of correcting what they tell him to correct in his bids, only to use new magic criteria the next time.

Also, three itterations of a presentation like this (and the same goes for the Olympics) makes it go MUCH smoother. I also think that the 3 non-Vancouver non-Ottawa bids thought Ottawa was going to get it.

I also think the Halifax and Winnipeg bid commitees have a similar view at this point

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Vincent_TheGreat said:
I think there just mad that Vancouver is a much nicer city and a better hockey city.

Ok, well, Vancouver is one of the world's most beautiful cities, but if these competitions are won on the beauty of a certain city, Winnipeg would never have hosted the tournament. As for the better hockey city, I don't know about that. The Senators do very well at the gate, the 67's have had the highest average attendance of any North American hockey club not in the NHL for a few years now, and Olympiques (essentially same city, different province) draw very well albeit in a small building, as well. That with Ottawa being a much smaller city.

Has Vancouver ever held the Memorial Cup because when Ottawa did, they destroyed previous records for attendance. Ottawa also hosted a HUGE minor hockey tournament again this year, which I believe was one of the largest ever, although I don't know the statistics.

Is Vancouver still the superior hockey city?

Dr_Chimera*

incawg said:
So in essence he's saying he'd like it to be pre-determined...but only if Ottawa is the pre-determined winner.

More like, it should have been a factor to put them over the top, especially considering that Ottawa is the greatest junior hockey city in Canada. (based on attendance - some might take issue with that)

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
Dr_Chimera said:
More like, it should have been a factor to put them over the top

Sort of like the fact that Vancouver is Olympic city then? Or like the fact that the WJC has never been in BC? Or like the fact that Eastern Canada had the last WJC and now it's the west's "turn"?

There's a lot of these factors and any of the bidding cities could put forward a bunch of them. In the end, the bid committee selected the city that they felt had the best bid - including these factors. It was Vancouver and I've yet to see anything from the Ottawa bid team to indicate that this decision was the wrong one. And if you're going to start claiming, as Hunt has, that Ottawa should have won and that this was somehow rigged against them, you better have some pretty serious evidence to support your claim...or you just end up looking like a sore loser.

Last edited:

Daniel_Tkaczuk

May 4, 2003
Downtown Halifax
Visit site
Egil said:
You do realize THREE people vote right? And it was "unanimous"? And that one of the Voters was inducted into the BC hockey hall of fame 2 weeks ago? Also of note is that the 2 primary reasons Ottawa lost last time was because of a) the ticket deposits Halifax had and b) the amount of guaranteed money. So Ottawa goes out and a) gets 18,500 ticket deposits, and b) guarantees what I believe is the most money of any of the bids, and yet it is ignored. Hunt (and I think justifiably so) is tired of correcting what they tell him to correct in his bids, only to use new magic criteria the next time.

Also, three itterations of a presentation like this (and the same goes for the Olympics) makes it go MUCH smoother. I also think that the 3 non-Vancouver non-Ottawa bids thought Ottawa was going to get it.

I also think the Halifax and Winnipeg bid commitees have a similar view at this point

I didn't realize only three people voted, but despite not having the ticket deposits last time Ottawa still whined. It's alright to be disappointed but it reflects bad on the city.

It was also before the Vancouver Olympics announcement when Ottawa presumably stood a chance.

Ontario has also had the WJCs before, British Columbia has not. Last time it was the far East Coast, this time it's far west. I am sure Ottawa will get it next time.

Dr_Chimera*

incawg said:
Sort of like the fact that Vancouver is Olympic city then? Or like the fact that the WJC has never been in BC? Or like the fact that Eastern Canada had the last WJC and now it's the west's "turn"?

Well, it's his opinion. I don't agree with you though entirely. I don't think why it should matter that Vancouver is an olympic city - I would argue that it'd be more fair to give other cities a piece of the pie.

WJC's have never been to Ottawa either - those cancel out.

Halifax is hardly near Ottawa. To divide the country into two halves is hardly indicative of anything - it's a vast land, especially when you consider that Quebec fits between the two. I think it would be more fair to say that the WHL accounts for Vacouver, like OHL accounts for Ottawa and QMJHL accounts for Halifax.

Hunt makes some interesting points there in his article - you should give it another glance. Does thjat make his verbal rampage acceptable - I wouldn't do it if I was him. My point is simply that I wouldn't be surprised if he's right.

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
Dr_Chimera said:
WJC's have never been to Ottawa either - those cancel out.

It's been in Ontario but never B.C.

Dr_Chimera said:
Halifax is hardly near Ottawa.

It's a lot closer to Ottawa than Vancouver. Like it or not, these things are almost always reigionally balanced. The east gets one, the west gets one. That's how it works and it's why losing to Halifax last time was a double-blow for Hunt.

Dr_Chimera said:
Hunt makes some interesting points there in his article - you should give it another glance. Does thjat make his verbal rampage acceptable - I wouldn't do it if I was him. My point is simply that I wouldn't be surprised if he's right.

I've read it several times and I've yet to see a really solid foundation for his comments, other than the fact that he's upset that he lost. I suppose if I was from Ottawa I might see it another way..

Dr_Chimera*

incawg said:
It's been in Ontario but never B.C.
Like it or not, these things are almost always reigionally balanced. The east gets one, the west gets one. That's how it works and it's why losing to Halifax last time was a double-blow for Hunt.

- Well, if that's the reason for giving it to them (and assuming that you are indeed correct), then maybe Mr. Hunt has a case after all (about predetermination).

YellHockey*

incawg said:
It's a lot closer to Ottawa than Vancouver. Like it or not, these things are almost always reigionally balanced. The east gets one, the west gets one. That's how it works and it's why losing to Halifax last time was a double-blow for Hunt.

If that's how it works, then why did it go to Winnipeg, Red Deer and Saskatoon consecutively before it went to Halifax?

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
BigDaddyMeatWhistle said:
If that's how it works, then why did it go to Winnipeg, Red Deer and Saskatoon consecutively before it went to Halifax?

I don't recall there being much compeition for those WJC. It's only become a big deal in recent years.

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
Dr_Chimera said:
- Well, if that's the reason for giving it to them (and assuming that you are indeed correct), then maybe Mr. Hunt has a case after all (about predetermination).

It's no more "predetermination" than is having better facilities or more community support. Just another factor that goes into the decision.

Dr_Chimera*

incawg said:
It's no more "predetermination" than is having better facilities or more community support. Just another factor that goes into the decision.

Well, I think we're splitting hairs here, so maybe we'll leave it at this.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
it's become such a popular and profitable event in Canada we may never see the tournament held again outside of a big city like Vancouver, Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary, Montreal again. With $4 million in guaranteed profits, you are catering to corporations and 18,000 seat arenas, not arenas designed for junior hockey crowds. Actually fairly sad when you think about it.

PEli*

hbk said:
it's become such a popular and profitable event in Canada we may never see the tournament held again outside of a big city like Vancouver, Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary, Montreal again. With $4 million in guaranteed profits, you are catering to corporations and 18,000 seat arenas, not arenas designed for junior hockey crowds. Actually fairly sad when you think about it.

This was my exact point when the bids were being put in place. If Vancouver breaks Halifax's record (why wouldn't it?) then we'll probably never see the tournament held in Halifax, Saskatoon or Red Deer ever again. Why get a small soft drink when you can get a large?

Financially, it makes sense. It's just a kick in the face to cities that have built junior hockey to what it is today. That's no slight to the 67s, the Giants or the Hitmen either. I think most of us know what junior hockey means to the cities that have nothing else though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->