Proposal: Ottawa weaponizing their cheapness [VAN, ARI, TOR, EDM]

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Why would Ottawa help a division rival by allowing themselves to be used in a salary-dump?

Why would Ottawa risk that Toronto uses that 2nd-round pick to draft someone who could be useful down the road, all as part of aforementioned salary-dump?

I wouldn't do this trade if I were Ottawa.

A 2nd-round pick for Andreas Johnsson is the type of deal you do if you are Tampa Bay or Dallas or Vegas or Boston. A contending team looking to add depth for a hopeful deep Playoff run.

A team in obvious rebuild like Ottawa has zero need for Johnsson.

They would be better to stockpile as many prospects as possible to see if any of them can possibly turn into the next Patrice Bergeron, Shea Weber, Brayden Point, or Nikita Kucherov (all players taken in the 2nd and 3rd rounds).

You have a strange way of looking at this. Johnsson is a useful player, he’s not a cap dump. Sure, it would help Toronto to dump his contract, but Ottawa gets something out of it as well. Ottawa gets a 25 year old forward with a reasonable cap hit for the next three years. The guy scored 20 goals in 18-19. Let’s not act like he’s no good.

Reactions: kb

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
It's a shame that Coyotes fans aren't on board with the deal I proposed. Those Stepan and Raanta contracts are just made for Melnyk and the Sens, but I guess that franchise is in much the same situation as Ottawa so I understand why they wouldn't be interested in this sort of trade.
I just don't think you can trade Stepan with their center depth. I think Raanta has to go, so that bit is very believable. They could also move a vet RHD to change make room for Soderstrom. Demers is owed $2.4. Hjalmarsson owed only $2M. Both guys on bargain salary for what they bring. Then there's Hossa only owed $200k despite his caphit, but there's no real motivation for Ottawa there unless they are slashing cap elsewhere.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Why did the Senators take Zaitsev and Brown from the Leafs last year? It didn't make them appreciably better, but it allowed them to cut short-term cash expenditures and the coach vouched for them.

I get a lot of what you said and the EM motivation in this, but the above part was curious. If Ceci and Zaitsev are about the same level as players (not talking about contracts now), then Brown would be addition that made the team better, no?

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Why would Ottawa help a division rival by allowing themselves to be used in a salary-dump?

Why would Ottawa risk that Toronto uses that 2nd-round pick to draft someone who could be useful down the road, all as part of aforementioned salary-dump?

A 2nd-round pick for Andreas Johnsson is the type of deal you do if you are Tampa Bay or Dallas or Vegas or Boston. A contending team looking to add depth for a hopeful deep Playoff run.

They would be better to stockpile as many prospects as possible to see if any of them can possibly turn into the next Patrice Bergeron, Shea Weber, Brayden Point, or Nikita Kucherov (all players taken in the 2nd and 3rd rounds).

lol why would Toronto trade a good player on a good contract for a low 2nd? That's what most ridiculous

Make that both Ottawa and NYI 2nds and that would be something

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I get a lot of what you said and the EM motivation in this, but the above part was curious. If Ceci and Zaitsev are about the same level as players (not talking about contracts now), then Brown would be addition that made the team better, no?

I have nothing against Connor Brown as a player - in fact I think he's fairly useful, but what do you think his contribution is to the Senators in terms of wins and losses? I think it's marginal at best.

Ottawa were dreadful with Brown and they'd have been just as bad without him.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Ignoring the fact that Johnsson isn’t a cap dump and a 2nd is a long shot to even be a 4th liner nevermind a Hall of Famer, Ottawa has helped 2x with significant cap dumps in a 5 year span (Phaneuf and Zaitsev)

Reactions: Darcy Loewen and kb

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
lol why would Toronto trade a good player on a good contract for a low 2nd? That's what most ridiculous

Make that both Ottawa and NYI 2nds and that would be something

Value aside, Johnsson might need to be traded to free up money for Toronto. Especially if they want to take a run at Pietrangelo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->