Proposal: Ottawa weaponizing their cheapness [VAN, ARI, TOR, EDM]

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
To Ottawa: Loui Eriksson
To Vancouver: Bobby Ryan [33% retained]

Both players would be bought out by their new teams.

To Ottawa: Andreas Johnsson
To Toronto: NYI 2nd round pick 2020

To Edmonton: Mike Reilly
To Ottawa: Kris Russell, EDM 3rd round pick 2022

To Arizona: Chris Tierney, Anders Nilsson, Max Lajoie and EDM 3rd round pick 2022
To Ottawa: Derek Stepan and Antti Raanta

All players acquired by the Senators have their bonuses paid in advance, of course.

Duclair signed 2 years/5.0M, Brown signed 5 years/18.75M. Both deals backloaded. Paul, Hawryluk, Chlapik and Balcers all signed for under 1M on 1 year contracts.

Tkachuk-Stepan-Batherson
Duclair-Norris-Brown
Paul-White-Johnsson
Hawryluk-Chlapik-Balcers
Anisimov

Chabot-Zub
Wolanin-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Russell
Jaros

Raanta
Hogberg

LTIR - Gaborik
Buyout: Phaneuf and Eriksson
Retention and Buyout: Ryan

70M against the cap for just under 44M in actual cash expenditures.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
To Arizona: Chris Tierney, Anders Nilsson, Max Lajoie and EDM 3rd round pick 2022

All players acquired by the Senators have their bonuses paid in advance, of course.

I'm mostly with you until this part. AZ will be playing the same game that Melnyk is playing. They'll need all of the high-cap low-salary players they can get just to get to the floor.

Reactions: Morrison

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I don't see Edmonton paying a 3rd to move Russell especially if they're being forced to take back Reilly.

Why is Arizona trading away players they've already paid the bonus on?

They're paying useful players and then trading them away for lesser pieces because why?

Reactions: TFHockey

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018

Why would Ottawa help a division rival by allowing themselves to be used in a salary-dump?

Why would Ottawa risk that Toronto uses that 2nd-round pick to draft someone who could be useful down the road, all as part of aforementioned salary-dump?

I wouldn't do this trade if I were Ottawa.

A 2nd-round pick for Andreas Johnsson is the type of deal you do if you are Tampa Bay or Dallas or Vegas or Boston. A contending team looking to add depth for a hopeful deep Playoff run.

A team in obvious rebuild like Ottawa has zero need for Johnsson.

They would be better to stockpile as many prospects as possible to see if any of them can possibly turn into the next Patrice Bergeron, Shea Weber, Brayden Point, or Nikita Kucherov (all players taken in the 2nd and 3rd rounds).

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

Duclair signed 2 years/5.0M, Brown signed 5 years/18.75M. Both deals backloaded. Paul, Hawryluk, Chlapik and Balcers all signed for under 1M on 1 year contracts.

Tkachuk-Stepan-Batherson
Duclair-Norris-Brown
Paul-White-Johnsson
Hawryluk-Chlapik-Balcers
Anisimov

Chabot-Zub
Wolanin-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Russell
Jaros

Raanta
Hogberg

LTIR - Gaborik

Toronto deal is not far off (Fair) but if I am Dubas I prefer Tierney instead of the Futures. Obviously it screws up your Zona trade but just stating what I would want as a GM. I would obviously have Kerfoot out the door before this trade is made but Tierney as our 3C would be an upgrade defensively as far as I can tell.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
I feel like each trade helps the other team more than Ottawa.

I don't understand the first one. Why trade and then both do buyouts? Bobby Ryan is still an NHL player, middle six at worst.

Reactions: edguy and Altimus

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
All of these are reasonable even if I wouldn do them all.

I like Edmonton's the most.
Arizona's the least.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Eriksson in demand again?! Can we just complete the deal already? Jim Benning, where are you ???

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

Tkachuk-Stepan-Batherson
Duclair-Norris-Brown
Paul-White-Johnsson
Hawryluk-Chlapik-Balcers
Anisimov

Chabot-Zub
Wolanin-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Russell
Jaros

Raanta
Hogberg

LTIR - Gaborik

And we are a lottery team again...Lol

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I don't understand the first one. Why trade and then both do buyouts? Bobby Ryan is still an NHL player, middle six at worst.

Would save the Sens $6M in real cash and would spread the payment out over four years instead of two which could be very beneficial to an owner such as Melnyk. For Vancouver they would save over $3.5M in capspace for the next 2 seasons.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
The fan in me hates every one of the proposals but the Sens fan in me sadly understands where this comes from. These trades seem exactly in line with what the ottawa owner is trying to do and takes into account that there will be no weaponizing of cap space but instead a yearly attempt to ice the cheapest real money team as possible. Cant speak for the other teams interest in these moves.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Tkachuk-Stepan-Batherson
Duclair-Norris-Brown
Paul-White-Johnsson
Hawryluk-Chlapik-Balcers
Anisimov

Chabot-Zub
Wolanin-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Russell
Jaros

Raanta
Hogberg

LTIR - Gaborik

If Ottawa retains 33% and then buys out Eriksson they would actually have a higher cap hit for next season then just keeping Eriksson on the roster. The cash savings is good but it's just a horrible waste of cap when you could just use Ryan as a 3rd line winger.

Johnsson coming off a bad knee injury and Toronto needing to shed cap makes a 2nd for him not a good deal. I think Ottawa has enough of their own wingers they want to give time to that Johnsson wouldn't be wanted. The Edmonton deal seems to favor Ottawa so they would most likely say yes.

I think the give way too much in the Arizona deal. Tierney is better than Stepan so that parts an overpay. I can see the interest in a Raanta for Nilsson + deal but no interest in Stepan, if there's a vet with just a year left they would be after it would be Demers. He has a low salary and would be a good partner for Chabot for the year. Maybe something like Raanta + Demers for Nilsson + Dal 2nd + conditional 2021 2nd? The conditions are Arizona gets the latest of Ottawa's 2nd's if Raanta plays in 50% of Ottawa's games otherwise Ottawa's 3rd.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I'm mostly with you until this part. AZ will be playing the same game that Melnyk is playing. They'll need all of the high-cap low-salary players they can get just to get to the floor.
No. The Coyotes could toss 15 million in cap overboard right now and still be over the floor with players still needing to be signed. Do a little research before posting.

And I highly doubt the Coyotes would take Nilsson back in a trade for Raanta. They just gave Hill a one-way contract, and the assumption is he’s the leading candidate to take the backup position.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Stepan and Raanta are only owed an additional $2m each in actual cash for this season. Arizona is looking to cut salary. Assuming Tierney will get at least $4m, then adding Nilsson makes this a non-starter.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
There should be a moratorium on Nucks / Sens trades. I don’t see the Sens as a wasteland for Nucks trash without significant sweeteners attached. Nucks fans seem to have convinced themselves that their trash has value to the Sens! lol

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I think the give way too much in the Arizona deal. Tierney is better than Stepan so that parts an overpay. I can see the interest in a Raanta for Nilsson + deal but no interest in Stepan, if there's a vet with just a year left they would be after it would be Demers. He has a low salary and would be a good partner for Chabot for the year. Maybe something like Raanta + Demers for Nilsson + Dal 2nd + conditional 2021 2nd? The conditions are Arizona gets the latest of Ottawa's 2nd's if Raanta plays in 50% of Ottawa's games otherwise Ottawa's 3rd.
Stepan is only owed $2M, and the Coyotes only have one other NHL C under contract. And he's Tocchet's favourite. I doubt he gets moved until the deadline at anyrate.
I think the value is decent, but Tierney and arbitration is scary. Probably why he's available.

I can see the Raanta deal happening.

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
Why would Ottawa help a division rival by allowing themselves to be used in a salary-dump?

Why would Ottawa risk that Toronto uses that 2nd-round pick to draft someone who could be useful down the road, all as part of aforementioned salary-dump?

I wouldn't do this trade if I were Ottawa.

A 2nd-round pick for Andreas Johnsson is the type of deal you do if you are Tampa Bay or Dallas or Vegas or Boston. A contending team looking to add depth for a hopeful deep Playoff run.

A team in obvious rebuild like Ottawa has zero need for Johnsson.

They would be better to stockpile as many prospects as possible to see if any of them can possibly turn into the next Patrice Bergeron, Shea Weber, Brayden Point, or Nikita Kucherov (all players taken in the 2nd and 3rd rounds).

Why did the Senators take Zaitsev and Brown from the Leafs last year? It didn't make them appreciably better, but it allowed them to cut short-term cash expenditures and the coach vouched for them.

Same deal with Johnsson. A large portion his total compensation has already been paid by Toronto. Ottawa is a high-likelihood destination for this player for many reasons.

If Ottawa retains 33% and then buys out Eriksson they would actually have a higher cap hit for next season then just keeping Eriksson on the roster. The cash savings is good but it's just a horrible waste of cap when you could just use Ryan as a 3rd line winger.

Yeah. That's the point - it's a lovely bit of CBA f***ery. Ottawa would end up with a 7+M cap charge for only ~1.2M in cash. Amazing value, and they don't have dead weight like Eriksson or Ryan cluttering up the roster.

You can't 'waste' cap space if you have no intention of spending money. That's the point of all these trades. It's a celebration of violating the spirit of the cap floor.

I was trying to figure a way for the Sens to have a 70+M cap hit for ~40M in cash and I got fairly close to that goal.

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
It's a shame that Coyotes fans aren't on board with the deal I proposed. Those Stepan and Raanta contracts are just made for Melnyk and the Sens, but I guess that franchise is in much the same situation as Ottawa so I understand why they wouldn't be interested in this sort of trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad