Status
Not open for further replies.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Last 3 games:

Piss Poor;
Pretty Good;
Putrid

Seems to me that 6 D-men are not enough, dress all 8 of them and play the best 5 based on their play that nite. Let the 3 who are not playing D play on the wing, so they can bang some bodies. As to who sits out of the forwards take your pick............

Can't be any dam worse then the way the team has been playing......

I doubt that will ever happen but it would send a statement to the whole team......................

I swear this team has to be better than how they have been playing, or shall I say not playing............

I saw the forward lines this game as follows;

Turris line - Worst I have ever seen them but every line has an off game.
Grant line - Did the job that a forth line should do. Zibby should be replacing Michalek.
Spezza line - Where was Michalek (was he playing ?) thought Spezza was OK and I was pleased to see Conacher starting to handle the puck two games in a row he has done that. The points will start to come if he keeps that up.

Smith line - lets just say I feel sorry for Zack Smith !!!

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/gamecast?gameId=400484546

Gamecast shows that the Sens had a lot more shots from high scoring areas (thought the same thing when watching the game). Final shots were 30-22 in favor of Ottawa

I think I saw many people saying that the Sens played putrid, horrible or whatever hockey. If they had more goals and more saves, would the people say the same or what do they think the team should be? Perfect. We gave up 8 scoring chances all game, they scored 4 goals.

Anyway, not really interested in reading this thread so I'll just post my observations on what went wrong :

- PK didn't do the job (3 goals on the first 3 shots). It includes Andy
- Bobrovsky simply outplayed Andy
- Lack of finish in the offensive zone. Grant scoring on his breakaway could have totally changed the complexity of the game, for example.

Also need to be ready to start the game and not look like it's our first game of the season for 10 minutes.

I wouldn't try to look further than that to explain what went wrong in this game. Oh ya, maybe we got the short end of the stick in calls but who knows?

I have to agree probably as simply as that. I would also add that the Sens lacked intensity and that is very troubling :shakehead

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/gamecast?gameId=400484546

Gamecast shows that the Sens had a lot more shots from high scoring areas (thought the same thing when watching the game). Final shots were 30-22 in favor of Ottawa

That's all well and good, but most of those were unscreened shots from the high slot/points. Bob was getting a good look at most of them, and when he did kick out rebounds the Sens weren't getting to them for whatever reason.

Edit: Let's not forget that Columbus really stinks. They should be kicking the hell out of teams like this and they've dropped the last several games.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Maclean has no option but to keep shuffling around the players that he has. This is
the hand he has been dealt.

Melnyk has been quoted many times this year as saying that his new policy is not to overpay for players especially veterans but to keep bringing in and developing young players and keep the payroll closer to the floor than the cap.

In his opinion the fans seemed to be happy with it for the past couple of years and the team kept on winning.

Maybe we are starting to see the limits of that theory.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I have to agree probably as simply as that. I would also add that the Sens lacked intensity and that is very troubling :shakehead

On the first few minutes, they looked like they were in pre-season form. Not sure what is wrong in their game preparation... No wonder we always have to play catch up hockey. They seemed to be better as game went on but they need to play most of the 60 minutes more consistently. They're not an Elite contender that can cruise to the playoffs.

That's all well and good, but most of those were unscreened shots from the high slot/points. Bob was getting a good look at most of them, and when he did kick out rebounds the Sens weren't getting to them for whatever reason.

Edit: Let's not forget that Columbus really stinks. They should be kicking the hell out of teams like this and they've dropped the last several games.

Check the highlights for yourself. Also, the gamecast rationally (feel I have to point it out) shows that 13 of Sens shot were from a high scoring area, so no it wasn't most from the high slot/points, unless you mean they were more shots from those areas? Which is probably the case for every single game in NHL history.

Bobrovsky also made saves on deflections and one-timers from the slot. A good goalie is always in good position, anticipates the play really well and swallow the rebounds. He did that. Sens would have needed great/perfect shots to beat but didn't, so IMO it falls on the forwards and not anything else.

EDIT : I disagree, Columbus doesn't "stink". Only a few teams does and this year, that would the likes of Edmonton and Buffalo. Outside of 5-6 Elite teams and 5-6 rebuilding/lottery teams, all the rest are about the same, just marginally better. This is the NHL, any team can beat any team on any given night. Jackets have some skill and speed too and elite goaltending.

Last edited:

Midas0

Only the best Scouts
Dec 12, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Just got back from the game.... Drove from Peterborough to Kanata and back to see my team get spanked...

Thoughts on the game:

Cowen sucks. Jesus christ, Cowen sucks. Is there a chance that he's partially brain dead? I can't even count all the times he had a lack of judgement that almost/did lead to a goal. I remember one particular play in the 3rd where Karlsson passed him the puck in the D-zone and he missed the pass and CBJ got a scoring chance out of it- Karlsson was PISSED. Went to the bench, slammed the door in frustration.

Grant came into his own a bit I thought. He had a few shifts where he initiated some decent plays and really stood out in the offensive zone. He had some good board play. He over committed on trying to incept the pass on the first PP goal though.

Phillips-Cowen, Grant-Condra. What an awful PK unit. How could MacDaddy put them out there without a little laugh or whimper. Too slow, not aggressive enough, not blocking lanes or blocking shots effectively. Please, never again.

Greening.... I feel bad for the guy. Section 104 where I was sitting seemed like an anti-Greening convention. He had like 10 different haters there. Everybody calling him soft, people telling him to kiss other guys instead of hitting him... jesus christ, I've never seen anything like it. I tend to agree with them- but to say **** like that, at a home game??? Really???

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Just got back from the game.... Drove from Peterborough to Kanata and back to see my team get spanked...

Thoughts on the game:

Cowen sucks. Jesus christ, Cowen sucks. Is there a chance that he's partially brain dead? I can't even count all the times he had a lack of judgement that almost/did lead to a goal. I remember one particular play in the 3rd where Karlsson passed him the puck in the D-zone and he missed the pass and CBJ got a scoring chance out of it- Karlsson was PISSED. Went to the bench, slammed the door in frustration.

Grant came into his own a bit I thought. He had a few shifts where he initiated some decent plays and really stood out in the offensive zone. He had some good board play. He over committed on trying to incept the pass on the first PP goal though.

Phillips-Cowen, Grant-Condra. What an awful PK unit. How could MacDaddy put them out there without a little laugh or whimper. Too slow, not aggressive enough, not blocking lanes or blocking shots effectively. Please, never again.

Greening.... I feel bad for the guy. Section 104 where I was sitting seemed like an anti-Greening convention. He had like 10 different haters there. Everybody calling him soft, people telling him to kiss other guys instead of hitting him... jesus christ, I've never seen anything like it. I tend to agree with them- but to say **** like that, at a home game??? Really???

These are our best pk'ers and a big reason as to why our pk has been so good. Just not a good night for them, or anyone...

Mercurial

#lalala
Oct 29, 2009

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Cowen has been very hard to watch. He wasn't this bad 2 years ago, but I'd always had questions about his upside. If there's a good trade out there for him I think it might be prudent to make a move on it before he completely destroys his value. If not then maybe sheltering him more and really jumping on him in practice.

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Cowen has been very hard to watch. He wasn't this bad 2 years ago, but I'd always had questions about his upside. If there's a good trade out there for him I think it might be prudent to make a move on it before he completely destroys his value. If not then maybe sheltering him more and really jumping on him in practice.

I think Cowen will get better in time, like Chara did (not that he's becoming Chara) but man is he ever bad now.

Laoghaire

Jun 1, 2008
Ottawa
I think Cowen will get better in time, like Chara did (not that he's becoming Chara) but man is he ever bad now.
What makes Cowen different from the other busted high picks of big defencemen?

What separates him from Boris Valabik, Sasha Pokulok, Ty Wishart, Luke Schenn, Karl Alzner or Keaton Ellerby?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I really wish we do trade Cowen so this board could eat massive crow in a few years.

Like the Habs did with Beauchemin and Robidas. Please make it happen Murray. Oh no, you probably won't, have seen it rain a lot before.

I'd like to point to people that once a fanbase start to scapegoat a player, it's a no look back. Every play will be scrutinized and put under a microscope, and every mistake (small or big) will be magnified. That's what we call cognitive bias. While other players always get a free pass (ex : Karlsson, Alfredsson)

It could take a while before Cowen loses he sticker that fans are giving him

What is also funny is people can go "get Phillips outta here, defense sucks with him!" Then Phillips miss a game and the defense is even worse. So Phillips gets a free pass for a few games but it won't last.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Guess this was a good game to miss. :laugh:

Only thing troubling is that MacLean comment. Kinda sounds like he's resigned to the fact they guys simply aren't going to bring their A game every night. That is troubling.

Maybe in the long run it would be a good thing to miss the playoffs this year. An extra long summer of the guys having to answer some hard questions might be the only thing that gets then fully committed to working hard and being prepared very game.

Berserker*

Better provide a link because this sounds a lot like fantasy land. Careful, before you know it posters are going to run with this, and your characterization of "defiance" as fact.

I will see if I can find the quote, but it might be a bit hard because i believe it was from two seasons ago. But I do remember Spezza saying it.

The term defiance seems fitting here because it is defined as open disregard or bold resistance to authority. That seems to accurately describe if a disagreement became heated between Spezza and MacLean.

In my previous post I wasn't trying to imply that Spezza and MacLean have a poor relationship or that Spezza has some type of character issues. I was simply stating, based on my interpretation of Spezza's comments, that on occasion, at least in the past, Spezza has made a bit of a "scene" in regards to his disapproval, displeasure or simply differing position to MacLean's commands.

Now that Spezza is captain, and considering the fact that this team is so young, there are more potent implications to any open disagreements or outright defiance, as defined above, between Spezza and MacLean. The young players may misinterpret these disagreements, if any, and conclude from them that they should also question, or at least have the capacity to question MacLean's commands rather than simply being obedient.

With that said, Spezza may, at this point, be completely obedient and possibly even enthusiastically comply with MacLean's coaching demands which in turn would make everything I have stated irrelevant. But, if this behavior, in some way shape or form has persisted into this season then it may have adversely effected MacLean's capacity to control this group.

trueseraphim

Jul 5, 2013
ontario, canada
Lehner is obviously a bum and should be traded. This kid has definitely not earned, and waited patiently, for his chance. Trade him let's keep playing Anderson. Lehner isn't a backup, and we have our aging starter who we have to play. His trade value is more important that winning games?

Oh ya and our defence isn't, wasn't and won't be anything but average with the crew we have now.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Let's continue to blame leadership because our defence is comprised of bad players. Seems logical. It doesn't help that our best defenceman is awful at playing in his own zone.

Games like these suck but I didn't see anyone blaming Alfie when we were getting blown out early in 2011/12.

Hmmm, ********. Tell me a goal that Karlsson was to blame for tonight? 30+minutes a night and you're bound to be on the ice for a goal. But I am truly getting sick of you trying to divert blame from Spezza. Are you his long lost brother or something?

Spezza has looked sluggish in too many games... tonight at the end of the game they put Zibanejad in his place. We were getting owned a lot of the time in the face-off circle. Spezza has been one of the more guilty ones for that lately too. Why is it that one of the best face off people on our team is getting owned lately? Why is it that all of our centers are getting owned on the dot lately?

We can blame the defense, sure. But last season we had the same players minus Gonchar. THE ENTIRE TEAM PLAYED A DIFFERENT GAME... there was MORE SIMPLICITY. Where did that team go?

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site

That's what I'm thinking as well. He's so terrible right now I wonder who in their right mind would ever trade for him but stick with him and he could end up being as valuable as Hall Gill.

Derivation

Jan 4, 2010
Guys, seriously relax. We have a D-Core that consists of 5 players 22,23,23,24,25. Do you expect them to be seasoned vets looking like world-class untouchable d-men? This is year 3 of the rebuild/retooling process and there are going to be growing pains. I'm sure all the people complaining about the time are the same people who were complaining about the overpaid veterans on this team in seasons past and now we've shed our aging vets and their inflated salaries and now we are at a work in progress. Now either shut up and support your city's NHL-team, or say goodbye.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Hmmm, ********. Tell me a goal that Karlsson was to blame for tonight? 30+minutes a night and you're bound to be on the ice for a goal. But I am truly getting sick of you trying to divert blame from Spezza. Are you his long lost brother or something?

Karlsson's lack of ability in the defensive zone is to blame for more than just goals. Anyone watching the Sens can see how bad he is in the defensive end and if you're too blind to see it because you're busy blaming the leadership of the team that's fine. Our defensive corps is not good -- last year it wasn't that good either but we got some of the best goaltending in history to insulate it.

That said Karlsson is still our best defenceman by a country mile. He just isn't good defensively...at all (this season anyway).

Spezza has looked sluggish in too many games... tonight at the end of the game they put Zibanejad in his place. We were getting owned a lot of the time in the face-off circle. Spezza has been one of the more guilty ones for that lately too. Why is it that one of the best face off people on our team is getting owned lately? Why is it that all of our centers are getting owned on the dot lately?

Over the last 10 games Spezza has been below 50% only twice (47% each time) and above 50% five times. His last two games he's been 72% and 59%...how is this getting owned in the faceoff dot? Spezza wasn't replaced by anyone -- in fact over the last 3 games Spezza has been, by far, our best forward.

We can blame the defense, sure. But last season we had the same players minus Gonchar. THE ENTIRE TEAM PLAYED A DIFFERENT GAME... there was MORE SIMPLICITY. Where did that team go?

Actually last year the defence didn't have Karlsson or Cowen, two of whom have been some of the absolute worst offenders in the defensive zone. The team is playing a different system too, and the goalies are not posting godlike numbers. Make no mistake...our defence was not that good last year either but the goaltending was historically good.

Get sick and tired all you want, but stop placing blame where blame doesn't belong. If our defence was decent the whole team would be better.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Now that the bitter taste of that game is out of my mouth, I realize that we are still only 2 points out of a playoff spot with a game in hand. This conference blows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad