Post-Game Talk: Ottawa VS Columbus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Leadership isn't responsible to get 17 other guys to the rink on time and ready to play when the puck drops.

Leadership isn't responsible for rookie mistakes.

Leadership isn't responsible for turnovers and missed scoring opportunities.

Simple fact, six or seven inexperience young players lead to inconsistent results, unless the team gets special goaltending like last year.

Not blaming Andy, but with the number 1 guy having a .902 SA% it isn't at all surprising this team is .500

Can't say I disagree it is a slow process breaking players into the NHL, it is not always as simply as bringing up,the AHL guys. That said if we are not winning I would hope we give some opportunity to a couple of guys in Bingo that deserve it. Some of our so called veterans should be setting a better example.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
The problem with the Sens are the players not the coach. Sens fans should be careful what you wish for..... if the coach as fired and a new one is brought it, Karlsson's production will dip dramatically and he will not be a happy player. The Sens are way too easy to play against. They need more snarl in the top 6 and on defense.

Nah, a large portion of it should be on the coaches. When you have gryba, cowen, methot, phillips pinching down time and time again while the forwards aren't supporting them, it sets up so many breakaways. Kills our momentum and thats a system problem. Factor in the team isn't skating that hard and are being too cute on the pp, taking dumb penalties along with anderson off form and being played so much, this team needs change the way they play.

Berserker*

Another thing worth considering is that Spezza has mentioned in the past that he has had some disagreements with MacLean's coaching philosophy and a few of them got heated. Such open defiance of the coach, especially from the captain, has pretty significant ramifications in regards to the coaches credibility as an authority figure among the rest of the team. The fact that this team is so young would only exacerbate this issue because the players are so impressionable.

Now this position I am taking is speculative because I don't know whether Spezza has continued to openly disagree with MacLean this season. But if he has, this may allow for a greater understanding as to why none of MacLean's tactics thus far have been able to fix this team.

cage

Apr 25, 2004
Start Lehner. It's his time now. A fiery/tough guy like him gives the team a reason to play harder in front of him or else he'll physically hurt them :laugh:. There is no other change we can make with this roster besides that one. Home teams should always win these early games

Berserker*

Leadership isn't responsible to get 17 other guys to the rink on time and ready to play when the puck drops.

Leadership isn't responsible for rookie mistakes.

Leadership isn't responsible for turnovers and missed scoring opportunities.

Simple fact, six or seven inexperience young players lead to inconsistent results, unless the team gets special goaltending like last year.

Not blaming Andy, but with the number 1 guy having a .902 SA% it isn't at all surprising this team is .500

I agree with you, but I also agree with those that feel that the leadership group is part of the problem. I think, like you stated, there are a lot of issues with this team and that everyone needs to do their job better including the coaching staff and leadership core. Personally, I am under the impression that this team desperately needs to make a trade, if not a few.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well, the leadership is a problem when the leaders aren't playing well.

I'm looking at Spezza, Karlsson, Neil, Phillips, Anderson and to a lesser extent Methot for most of this season.

Sure, we don't know about the locker room, but we can see the product on the ice.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Another thing worth considering is that Spezza has mentioned in the past that he has had some disagreements with MacLean's coaching philosophy and a few of them got heated. Such open defiance of the coach, especially from the captain, has pretty significant ramifications in regards to the coaches credibility as an authority figure among the rest of the team. The fact that this team is so young would only exacerbate this issue because the players are so impressionable.

Now this position I am taking is speculative because I don't know whether Spezza has continued to openly disagree with MacLean this season. But if he has, this may allow for a greater understanding as to why none of MacLean's tactics thus far have been able to fix this team.

Your right :):):)

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Lol, if you seriously think we lost cause of our PK then I unno what to say to you.

They gave up 3 PPG's in ~1 minute of PK time. The PK was abysmal.

They played badly 5 on 5, but even if they had been decent they'd have lost. They failed in every phase of the game today.

harvey

Jun 5, 2006
Ottawa

So maybe this broke out last year in the playoffs when Spezza came back, leading Alfie to remark that he did not think they could beat the Pens?

burf

Mar 27, 2012
Does anyone else get a cringing sense of dread whenever Jared Cowen has the puck on his stick in the D-zone, with time to make a play? Because I sure do.

My favourite part of today's game was in the 1st when he had the puck behind the net for a good 5 seconds, waiting for a decent pass to develop, and then he just comes out and sends the puck up the middle of the ice for an immediate turnover and counterattack.

The Paulrus really REALLY needs to just sit Cowen down and have him work on the basics for like an entire week, because this isn't even close to the Jared Cowen I remember from juniors.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Now the position I am taking is speculative because I don't know whether Spezza has continued to openly disagree with MacLean this season. But if he has, this may allow for a greater understanding as to why none of MacLean's tactics thus far have been able to fix this team.

Better provide a link because this sounds a lot like fantasy land. Careful, before you know it posters are going to run with this, and your characterization of "defiance" as fact.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
IMO the main issues are

1) Bottom 4 defence are not good passers

Cowen continues to look lost. He is slow to the puck and can't get it to the forwards. Either trade him to someone who doesn't realize he sucks yet, or send him to Bingo and play Wiercioch/Corvo instead. Gryba and Phillips' problems are similar but Cowen is the elephant in the room. Every shift is a bad shift for this guy.

2) Bottom 6 forwards are not working hard enough

Greening, Smith, Condra and Neil are not talented for NHL players. They will look like garbage unless they are going max effort throughout their shifts, and they're not doing that. I think these guys need to be given an ultimatum: if you don't work harder in your ~12 min/game you will get shipped out of here.

Last edited:

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Better provide a link because this sounds a lot like fantasy land. Careful, before you know it posters are going to run with this, and your characterization of "defiance" as fact.

defiance sounds more like a workplace difference of opinion, happens all the time.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
defiance sounds more like a workplace difference of opinion, happens all the time.

Sure thing, but that is certainly not how the above post is characterizing things, and I'd prefer to explore some actual facts before even acknowledging this "situations" existence.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
IMO the main issues are

1) Bottom 4 defence are not good passers
Agreed, this is why Wiercioch and Corvo should be in. The problem is our defensive d men and forwards have not been solid enough to cover for their inevitable mistakes, so the coach doesn't have faith in them.

Cowen continues to look lost. He is slow to the puck and can't get it to the forwards. Either trade him to someone who doesn't realize he sucks yet, or send him to Bingo and play Wiercioch/Corvo instead.
I think Cowen needs to spend a few games in the press box

2) Bottom 6 forwards are not working hard enough

Greening, Smith, Condra and Neil are not talented for NHL players. They will look like garbage unless they are going max effort throughout their shifts, and they're not doing that. I think these guys need to be given an ultimatum: if you don't work harder in your ~12 min/game you will get shipped out of here.

Seems a little hard on Condra who really hasn't seen a lot of action due to injury. I've also been satisfied with Smith. Neil, but mostly Greening, I feel have to show a more consistent effort level. Like you said, 90% doesn't cut it with them.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Sure thing, but that is certainly not how the above post is characterizing things, and I'd prefer to explore some actual facts before even acknowledging this "situations" existence.

When MacLean put Neil with Spezza that was a statement :) I can't help but think there is something REALLY wrong with this team.

harvey

Jun 5, 2006
Ottawa
One way to get Spezza to drop his NTC is to put him as the third line center... this may just happen...

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
Last 3 games:

Piss Poor;
Pretty Good;
Putrid

Seems to me that 6 D-men are not enough, dress all 8 of them and play the best 5 based on their play that nite. Let the 3 who are not playing D play on the wing, so they can bang some bodies. As to who sits out of the forwards take your pick............

Can't be any dam worse then the way the team has been playing......

I doubt that will ever happen but it would send a statement to the whole team......................

I swear this team has to be better than how they have been playing, or shall I say not playing............

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Agreed, this is why Wiercioch and Corvo should be in. The problem is our defensive d men and forwards have not been solid enough to cover for their inevitable mistakes, so the coach doesn't have faith in them.

I agree, but the thing is, unless we get better passes from the back end to start breakouts this team is going to continue to be garbage.

I think Cowen needs to spend a few games in the press box

We may have to agree to disagree here. I've not liked Cowen from the moment he was picked. I think his ceiling is Luke Schenn and that's if he pulls his stuff together and learns to do something with the puck that isn't "shovel it up the boards into the neutral zone". I think there are still GM's who are in love with how big he is and it clouds their judgement but unfortunately it looks like Murray is one of those GM's.

Seems a little hard on Condra who really hasn't seen a lot of action due to injury. I've also been satisfied with Smith. Neil, but mostly Greening, I feel have to show a more consistent effort level. Like you said, 90% doesn't cut it with them.

Condra may be alright but I think Grant and Zibanejad are doing a great job on that 4th line, which is why it was one of the better lines today. Smith hasn't impressed me, but it might be that's he's got Greening and Neil on his line, who've looked terrible.

I definitely think that swapping Wier and Corvo for Cowen and Gryba, and calling up some forwards to play instead of Greening and Neil would make this team look a lot better. At the very least it would boost the intensity level.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/gamecast?gameId=400484546

Gamecast shows that the Sens had a lot more shots from high scoring areas (thought the same thing when watching the game). Final shots were 30-22 in favor of Ottawa

I think I saw many people saying that the Sens played putrid, horrible or whatever hockey. If they had more goals and more saves, would the people say the same or what do they expect from the team at this point? Despite starting the game really bad, we gave up less than 10 scoring chances all game, and the jackets scored 4 goals. On the other end, we converted only 1 chance on many. Finish and PK/goaltending killed the Sens in this game. Converting on scoring chances wins you games and the Jackets did. It's as simple as that

Anyway, not really interested in reading this thread so I'll just post my observations on what went wrong :

- PK didn't do the job (3 goals on the first 3 shots). It includes Andy
- Bobrovsky simply outplayed Andy
- Lack of finish in the offensive zone. Grant scoring on his breakaway could have totally changed the complexity of the game, for example.

Also need to be ready to start the game and not look like it's our first game of the season for 10 minutes.

I wouldn't try to look further than that to explain what went wrong in this game. Oh ya, maybe we got the short end of the stick in calls but who knows?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad