Post-Game Talk: Ottawa VS Columbus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berserker*

I agree with this. Spezza is not the problem at all imo. Not to say he couldn't be better.

Well to be fair nearly everything that is wrong with the teams current identity is almost exactly the same things that Spezza has been knocked for throughout his career. Such as: inconsistency, lack of effort level, lack of intensity, lack of physical play, poor and at times atrocious defensive play.

Now this might all be a coincidence but it certainly draws some negative attention to Spezza as the captain.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Basically. And I don't mean just Spezza.

Spezza played fine today but he needs to understand that with the C on his shoulder we don't need only goals from him, we need work ethic even if we getting blowed out.

He played pretty good but lol @ rest of leadership group.

Spezza worked hard today IMO, and allowing 3PP goals isnn't a leadership problem.

Not sure what's wrong but they sure didn't seem ready to play.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well, I would say this.

In a game in which we are basically shutout, and the opposition scores 4 goals, there's blame for everyone.

1. Scorers aren't scoring.
2. Defenders aren't defending.
3. Goaltenders aren't tending.

The 4th line can be seen as a bit of a bright spot because they drew penalties and played in the opposition zone. That being said, the bar is set much lower for them, and it may just be me reacting too positively to the non-Kassian line-up.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
What did Boro do to contribute in a positive fashion again???

Boro was sitting in the penalty box for two goal, took 24 minutes in penalties in total and that qualifies as showing up???

I give Boro some credit for getting the crowd to cheer about something, but other than that this wasn't one of his better efforts.

He definitely wasn't alone though.

Both times though they were not penalties. Both were clean, solid hits. They weren't late, they weren't to the head, they weren't boarding, they weren't from behind. On the so called elbowing his elbow was down and tucked in and it went up as part of the mid air follow through but by then never touched the player. Since when can't a guy make a hard hit to the chest? We've seen hard hits like that in game after game made by other players and they never get called. Weird calls like that make you wonder if the ref needs glasses. These refs were making themselves the focus of the game like we watch the games to see them. The only penalty Boro might have deserved was the tripping call at the net but even that was borderline in most cases it goes uncalled since he was swiping at the puck.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Boro threw two hard, perfectly clean checks. If you blame him for the calls, you weren't watching.

I was there and while I didn't see any contact by his elbowelbow, he did make contact high and the refs call that stuff more often than not.

Debating whether it was a penalty is mute IMO, the refs called it so it was one whether I like it or not.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Well to be fair nearly everything that is wrong with the teams current identity is almost exactly the same things that Spezza has been knocked for throughout his career. Such as: inconsistency, lack of effort level, lack of intensity, lack of physical play, poor and at times atrocious defensive play.

Now this might all be a coincidence but it certainly draws some negative attention to Spezza as the captain.

Touche

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013
Watching the team, I feel like there is no structure or at least there are no set plays for the team to follow especially on the defensive end. This is on the coaching staff imo. They have to realize that besides karlsson the sens do not have a PMD and have to change the way the team plays according to the type of players they have

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I was there and while I didn't see any contact by his elbowelbow, he did make contact high and the refs call that stuff more often than not.

Debating whether it was a penalty is mute IMO, the refs called it so it was one whether I like it or not.

moot.

I'll say this - if players never try to hit anyone, they'll never take any penalties.

Berserker*

Spezza worked hard today IMO, and allowing 3PP goals isnn't a leadership problem.

Not sure what's wrong but they sure didn't seem ready to play.

I think the bolded part is why fans are questioning the leadership core. So far this season, this teams rarely looks ready to play and when we are losing, the leaders (and nearly the whole roster for that matter) nearly never step up and tries to carry the team on their shoulders. Someone has to try and fight back when the team is losing and try and instill some life in this team and that responsibility falls primarily on the shoulders of the leadership group.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Both times though they were not penalties. Both were clean, solid hits. They weren't late, they weren't to the head, they weren't boarding, they weren't from behind. On the so called elbowing his elbow was down and tucked in and it went up as part of the mid air follow through but by then never touched the player. Since when can't a guy make a hard hit to the chest? We've seen hard hits like that in game after game made by other players and they never get called. Weird calls like that make you wonder if the ref needs glasses. These refs were making themselves the focus of the game like we watch the games to see them. The only penalty Boro might have deserved was the tripping call at the net but even that was borderline in most cases it goes uncalled since he was swiping at the puck.

The first one happen right in front of me, Boro followed through and hit the Columbus player in the face.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Good to hear Foligno's newborn daughter is in stable condition after being born with a serious heart defect.

Poor little tyke had to have surgery. She's recovering well according to Foligno.

SuperDuper101

May 15, 2013
Better Than The Scoreline

Honestly overall it was a lazy afternoon game. Columbus got the bounces and did well on their PP and Ottawa didn't. End of story really.

The Sens actually were the better team at evens, just didn't dominate enough which is the real issue here. This is a game the team should have dominated better and they just weren't able to put it in a gear that Columbus couldn't match. It happens.

The Good:
The 4th line was MUCH better without Kassian. Playable, worked well on the cycle, good possession numbers, AND drew 2 PP opportunities for the team. More of that please.

The Bad:
Turris line isn't going the last few games. Time to bump B.Ryan up with Spezza for a game or two and let Z play with Turrnado & MacArthur.

What I'd like to see:
-Hoffman or Pageau up and on the top line
-Ceci up for a couple games of experience just to give him a taste and keep him working hard down there (5 or so)
-Kassian continues to sit
-Another full practice of zone exit drills (flat out, they need the work)
-Gryba sits, Cowen sits a few as well
-Michalek-Smith-Greening as the 3rd line

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I think the bolded part is why fans are questioning the leadership core. So far this season, this teams rarely looks ready to play and when we are losing, the leaders (and nearly the whole roster for that matter) nearly never step up and tries to carry the team on their shoulders. Someone has to try and fight back when the team is losing and try and instill some life in this team and that responsibility falls primarily on the shoulders of the leadership group.

Leadership isn't responsible to get 17 other guys to the rink on time and ready to play when the puck drops.

Leadership isn't responsible for rookie mistakes.

Leadership isn't responsible for turnovers and missed scoring opportunities.

Simple fact, six or seven inexperience young players lead to inconsistent results, unless the team gets special goaltending like last year.

Not blaming Andy, but with the number 1 guy having a .902 SA% it isn't at all surprising this team is .500

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
The first one happen right in front of me, Boro followed through and hit the Columbus player in the face.

The rink isn't always the best view. You'd better look again because it was clearly shoulder to chest. But like you said it's moot ....why do we always get screwed with bad calls.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
It's simple really they scored on the power play we didn't. Our four bottom defensemen have no puck handling and moving ability. The Turris line has slowed to a crawl now that they have too play against the other teams top lines. Simple solution try Ryan with Spezza and Zibanejad, MacArthur with Turris and Conacher and Michalek with Smith and Greening. While there at it please acquire a veteran d man that can move the puck. While disappointed in today's game why are people so obsessed with finding a scapegoat. There is certainly more than one problem on this team :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad