Ottawa U18 Part 4

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Last year's draft had the lowest number of HEO minor midgets in at least 7 years (this excludes the schools OHA and CIHA).

2010 - 24
2011 - 23
2012 - 24
2013 - 23
2014 - 24
2015 - 25
2016 - 18

Also, from 2010 through 2015, an average of 18 kids were drafted in the first 10 rounds. In 2016, there were 11 kids selected in rounds 1-10.

What conclusions would you draw from those numbers?
The 2017 draft will not be good for HEO area players 14 to 20, the U 18 draft 7 to 11. 2 maybe 3 would have been added to the regular draft and drafted if there was not a U 18 draft this year.

Bossman

Oct 1, 2015
What conclusions would you draw from those numbers?
The 2017 draft will not be good for HEO area players 14 to 20, the U 18 draft 7 to 11. 2 maybe 3 would have been added to the regular draft and drafted if there was not a U 18 draft this year.

Not a fan of the league. But even with the old format this year would be low for OHL drafted players. 2001 age group is really weak.

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
Not a fan of the league. But even with the old format this year would be low for OHL drafted players. 2001 age group is really weak.

Is it really weak or did more kids leave the area to avoid the u18?

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016

The top player and a couple solid players left but imo there is not one sure fire OHL talent left in the league as of right now. Things can change from year to year with how players advance but as of right now I do not see it. Last season there were a couple of high round picks and this year I would be surprised to see any crack the top half of the draft. IMO the best chance is the goalie from Kemptville.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015

7 HEO area players left to play else were.

2 USA prep school
1 UDA Minor Midget
4 GTHL
Only 1 is top end, should go first round 5th to 10th

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
The top player and a couple solid players left but imo there is not one sure fire OHL talent left in the league as of right now. Things can change from year to year with how players advance but as of right now I do not see it. Last season there were a couple of high round picks and this year I would be surprised to see any crack the top half of the draft. IMO the best chance is the goalie from Kemptville.

It is not a good birth year but there are still some very good prospects. Of the players that should get drafted about 10 to 15, 3 to 7 of those could go in rounds 2 to 6.

You can not hide the truly elite player in any league but you can really hurt the mid range player and that is what our local U 18 league has done.

Last edited:

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Brockville

Rumor,

The Brockville U 18 coach has been let go and they hired a former NHL player from Cornwall.
True?

U 18 coaching changes Hawksbury twice. Brockville. Pembroke (thanks Barberpoles). Who is next at year end?Cumberland? Nepean? Pembroke? Kanata(focus on Jr A team)?

That's a big number, is it not?
Are we sure U 18 coaching is better?

Last edited:

DeepThoughts

Nov 6, 2016
7 HEO area players left to play else were.

2 USA prep school
1 UDA Minor Midget
4 GTHL
Only 1 is top end, should go first round 5th to 10th

And that doesn't include the 2000 birth year players who left the U18 league after one year to go to Prep Schools. So league is weakened even more.

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016
Rumor,

The Brockville U 18 coach has been let go and they hired a former NHL player from Cornwall.
True?

18 coaching changes Hawksbury twice. Brockville. Who is next at year end?Cumberland? Nepean? Pembroke? Kanata(focus on Jr A team)?

Don't forget Pembroke changed coaches as well this year.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
Rumor,

True?

U 18 coaching changes Hawksbury twice. Brockville. Pembroke (thanks Barberpoles). Who is next at year end?Cumberland? Nepean? Pembroke? Kanata(focus on Jr A team)?

Are we sure U 18 coaching is better?

Not sure but teams that need new coaches in my opinion at u18 are Nepean, Smiths Falls, Pembroke, Cornwall, Brockville and Hawkesbury. Kanata, Cumberland, Ottawa, CP, Kemptville and Gloucester seem to have coaches that are teaching systems and there seems to be a better relationship between u18AAA and CCHL team which was purpose of this league.

The lack of u18AAA affiliated games to CCHL this year means league is not working out as well as I thought. I haven't counted but definitely less then last year.

Brockville will be lucky if I am thinking who the guy is from Cornwall, great role model for boys.

Bossman

Oct 1, 2015
Rumor,

True?

Are we sure U 18 coaching is better?[/QUOT

Heard the same rumor sounds like JW is taking over in Brockville. Not sure why the change this late in the season because i thought that group was overachieving. Not much depth on the Brockville roster after losing Monds, Mack and Marshall to prep schools. I could see Cumberland making changes with that roster they should have been near the top of the standings.

How many coaches in this league are actually certified to coach triple A hockey? Seems like majority of the teams don't have coaches with the required levels.

Playoffs coming up I don't see anyone winning other than OJS or Kanata

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Rumor,

True?

Are we sure U 18 coaching is better?[/QUOT

Heard the same rumor sounds like JW is taking over in Brockville. Not sure why the change this late in the season because i thought that group was overachieving. Not much depth on the Brockville roster after losing Monds, Mack and Marshall to prep schools. I could see Cumberland making changes with that roster they should have been near the top of the standings.

How many coaches in this league are actually certified to coach triple A hockey? Seems like majority of the teams don't have coaches with the required levels.

Playoffs coming up I don't see anyone winning other than OJS or Kanata

That is who I heard also.
Old coach not dinking the koolaid?
All coaching changes would be suspect. (Pembroke, Brockville, Hawksbury).
1 game knock out, anything could happen. You play 45 games and everybody makes the play-offs. House league, parity this is Ottawa so we have to be fair.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Not sure but teams that need new coaches in my opinion at u18 are Nepean, Smiths Falls, Pembroke, Cornwall, Brockville and Hawkesbury. Kanata, Cumberland, Ottawa, CP, Kemptville and Gloucester seem to have coaches that are teaching systems and there seems to be a better relationship between u18AAA and CCHL team which was purpose of this league.

The lack of u18AAA affiliated games to CCHL this year means league is not working out as well as I thought. I haven't counted but definitely less then last year.

Brockville will be lucky if I am thinking who the guy is from Cornwall, great role model for boys.

You should not bring up players that cannot help/play and there are very few in U 18 players that can step in and help/play. The league in your opinion was designed to help younger players. I have been telling you and others for 2 years its about control and money.

Last edited:

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
V
You should not bring up players that cannot help/play and there are very few in U 18 players that can step in and help/play. The league in your opinion was designed to help younger players. I have been telling you and others for 2 years its about control and money.

The number of affiliated games to CCHL and how many graduate to CCHL following year is what I am gauging this league on for success or failure because it is same guys running both leagues. Affiliated games are down this year so league is going the wrong way.

Players drafted to OHL is not a good gauge because there are always lots of Ottawa kids that could replace many lower drafted kids. If you watch minor bantam or major bantam and you should already know now who has a good shot at top 3 rounds. Will Bitten and Greg Mereiles were always two steps ahead right from novice on.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
V

The number of affiliated games to CCHL and how many graduate to CCHL following year is what I am gauging this league on for success or failure because it is same guys running both leagues. Affiliated games are down this year so league is going the wrong way.

Players drafted to OHL is not a good gauge because there are always lots of Ottawa kids that could replace many lower drafted kids. If you watch minor bantam or major bantam and you should already know now who has a good shot at top 3 rounds. Will Bitten and Greg Mereiles were always two steps ahead right from novice on.

It is hard on Ottawa area OHL scouts to draft mid to late round picks because the CCHL has control over a player in this area. They control Midget hockey, Jr.B hockey and Jr A tier II. You select players expecting them to show up to camp and try out. When taking an HEO area player there is extra that goes into the selection.
Does he want to come and try-out?
Which team in the CCHL has his playing rights? Will his controlling CCHL team allow him to go to an OHL camp?
Do we have a good working relation ship with that organization?

Some teams tell there OHL drafted players not to go to OHL camp. Why? There might not be a spot on the CCHL team when you get back.
Some times it is just easier to pick a player not from the HEO area. This league and the CCHL are not doing our local players any favors.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
Nothappy or someone else, you guys like numbers then I invite you to breakdown affiliated games in CCHL from u18AAA players this year compared to last year and see it might be close to half.

The link between teams was supposed to be one of the selling features of this league.
Terry Nichols or Mr. Clarke can either one of you explain why numbers dropped so much?

I also heard that u18AAA might allow imports next year meaning players from USA or out of province. Any truth to this?

TerryN

May 17, 2016
Nothappy or someone else, you guys like numbers then I invite you to breakdown affiliated games in CCHL from u18AAA players this year compared to last year and see it might be close to half.

The link between teams was supposed to be one of the selling features of this league.
Terry Nichols or Mr. Clarke can either one of you explain why numbers dropped so much?

I also heard that u18AAA might allow imports next year meaning players from USA or out of province. Any truth to this?

In our case we have not had same need for APs as last year. Our APs have been Jr B players that played Midget AAA last year, so they came thru the Midget program. The only midget player that dressed for Jr A team is 2001 goalie. However our Midget AAA players have been APs at Jr B and played a lot. I believe you will find a lot of APing at Jr B which is also a good thing, I know Jr B has always had a hard time getting APs, much easier now. In fact there have been days where Jr B players played with our Jr A team and Midget players took their spots at Jr B.

Regarding out of area players I have not been informed of that occurring next season. However there is a demand for it, last summer I received calls from 5 AAA players from other parts of Ontario wanting to play in league, two were OHL drafted wanting to know how to play for our Midget team. I told them they had to move here. I doubt it happens.

Terry Nichols
Kemptville 73's GM
613-282-8310

24instigating

Feb 3, 2015
Very rough estimate from Pointstreak shows approx. 253 midget affiliate games last year versus 155 this year.

- 4 teams increased games (Cumberland, Gloucester, Hawkesbury, Pembroke)
- 2 teams with 45+ game decreases (CP and Kanata)

hky01

Jan 5, 2016
What Brockville did to their coach with a game left in the season is gutless, plain and simple no class.

That team could be done tomorrow and they make a coaching change to the guy that's been there for 2 seasons. It wasn't his fault that SN made the jump to the OHL or that the Braves used their top 2 bantam picks on kids who went to prep school, team over achieved for their roster IMO.

I get it JW played in the show, but I'm sure that the job would have been there once the season is over if he wanted it.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
What Brockville did to their coach with a game left in the season is gutless, plain and simple no class.

That team could be done tomorrow and they make a coaching change to the guy that's been there for 2 seasons. It wasn't his fault that SN made the jump to the OHL or that the Braves used their top 2 bantam picks on kids who went to prep school, team over achieved for their roster IMO.

I get it JW played in the show, but I'm sure that the job would have been there once the season is over if he wanted it.

Word in the rink is the U 18 coach would not let his players AP with the Jr B team. Why only he knows.
When you run/own Jr A, Jr B and the U 18 francizes you get to do as you please.
Great believer in what people do not what they say and the Brockville owner just showed his true colors. If he could do that to a coach what will he do to a player that crosses him?

Last edited:

hky01

Jan 5, 2016
check the Tikis roster for the year... the U18 kids played jr B enough this year.

The only reason the coach was canned was because they had an NHL guy show interest and the owner bought into the hype.

If you sign up to coach in minor hockey the general assumption is that the association will have your back as long as you make reasonable decisions. Junior different story its a business.

So I guess the ultimate question raises again is the U18 about #development or is it a business?

#development #leagueofchoice

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
Word in the rink is the U 18 coach would not let his players AP with the Jr B team. Why only he knows.
When you run/own Jr A, Jr and the U 18 francizes you get to do as you please.
Great believer in what people do not what they say and the Brockville owner just showed his true colors. If he could do that to a coach what will he do to a player that crosses him?

Over 20 APM games on Tikis roster from Brockville u18AAA so that is not true. The GM of CCHL club should be in charge of where players affiliate for best development.

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016

If this is true then I have one thing to say...BOOOO Brockville:shakehead

Last edited:

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016
Over 20 APM games on Tikis roster from Brockville u18AAA so that is not true. The GM of CCHL club should be in charge of where players affiliate for best development.

I think players should be affiliated to teams where they will get a chance to play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad