Ottawa Sun "You Be The Boss Survey"

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
You guys think Dorion reads these survey results and takes them to heart?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
You guys think Dorion reads these survey results and takes them to heart?

If they are for improvements with the fan experience in the rink than I think he would be interested. However, how many NHL GMs are going to listen to fans as to what they should do to improve their hockey team when they are supposedly the experts with the most experience & insider knowledge & most fans know next to nothing when it comes to operating an NHL hockey team.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
yeah, I realize this had been beat to death already but I'm just trying to run some numbers. It's hard to find exact figures on anything which is understandable I guess. So If I go with just the Forbes numbers of 70 Million over 10 years and gross revenue over the same time frame of 1.067 Billion...that works out to about just a little over a 7% profit margin...
That isn't exactly a great profit margin for a business...it's actually quite poor. Sure, Melnyk isn't technically loosing money...but he's not exactly anywhere near where he should be if he was running what would be considered a successful business either. And had he been spending to the cap every year that percentage would obviously be even lower. Not trying to defend the man but the average percentage for running a successful business seems to fall in the 15-20% range minimum...Apple for example does between 40-60% on average from what I've read....
So IDK...if it was me personally, and I had Melnyk money, I'd probably just own a hockey team like it was a hobby...and hobbies traditionally cost money instead of making it...but at the same time I can't really begrudge the man if he wants to run it as a business and make a profit...and 7% leaves little to no room for error.

This discussion including the above quote reminds me of the way the Detroit Red Wings owner treated Gordie Howe, claiming he would lose money if he paid Gordie more than he was earning at that time. Gordie’s Wife Colleen didn’t believe him and did a lot of work investigating the issue. Owners seem to always claim they will lose money if they pay someone more but that does not mean they actually suffer a loss; it simply means they would not make as much profit! The players association was desperately needed to ensure that players got a reasonable share of the revenues.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If they are for improvements with the fan experience in the rink than I think he would be interested. However, how many NHL GMs are going to listen to fans as to what they should do to improve their hockey team when they are supposedly the experts with the most experience & insider knowledge & most fans know next to nothing when it comes to operating an NHL hockey team.

I tend to agree however it would be a very courageous, and probably stupid, move by a GM or owner to disregard fan opinions and for example trade a player who is a fan favourite to another team for players of obvious lesser quality. Such actions could trigger significant negative fan opinions and actions that reduce ticket sales. Sometimes it is the lesser of two evils (or is it two weevils) to pay a player more than he is worth to avoid a drop in ticket sales.

By the way, I thought letting Alfredsson go without offering a decent contract for another year to compensate for the last very low salary year was not a good PR move, but it was the right move if Alfredsson was actually seeking $7M per year over a two year contract as reported somewhere.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I tend to agree however it would be a very courageous, and probably stupid, move by a GM or owner to disregard fan opinions and for example trade a player who is a fan favourite to another team for players of obvious lesser quality. Such actions could trigger significant negative fan opinions and actions that reduce ticket sales. Sometimes it is the lesser of two evils (or is it two weevils) to pay a player more than he is worth to avoid a drop in ticket sales.

By the way, I thought letting Alfredsson go without offering a decent contract for another year to compensate for the last very low salary year was not a good PR move, but it was the right move if Alfredsson was actually seeking $7M per year over a two year contract as reported somewhere.
I would go with the premise that whoever is returned in the trade that GM wanted, but in hindsight sometimes they don't always get the better player. Sometimes it's because of money & sometimes teams want to move in another direction. And most of the time fans don't find out about trades until they are made although these days there are a lot of early leaks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->