Ottawa Sun "You Be The Boss Survey"

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Lol... You should get back to whining about things you have at least half an idea about dude.
Ya man, tell me about our horrible fans who don't wanna go to Kanata for games as someone who lives in Victoria. Your thumb is really on the pulse here.

Hey afterwords lemme know how great the Burrows thing is going that you loved so much. And tell everyone how wrong they were about signing Anderson. Tell them about the things you have "half an idea about dude." Your takes are so great. Share them please.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Get a grip dude, it's hockey.

Sooo if you go to a restaurant that's not paying its servers like Melnyk isn't paying scouts and isn't valuing or mistreating the manager(s) of the place like Melnyk did with Alfie/Anselmi/Leeder then you would say "Get a grip, it's just food"?

The fact that it's hockey has nothing to do with anything. What are your values in life? Why would you support someone who does things like that? Surely we don't have the same values.

In life there are some people who buy from unethical companies and don't really care about anything other than what they get. They don't care about the rest, just what they can personally gain from it. Then there are people who choose to support companies that make ethical choices and that treat people fairly (or more fairly). You always choose where you stand when you buy products/services from companies and entertainment isn't any different.

People who don't really care about these things are the reason companies keep being unethical and make poor choices. Let that be polluting, mistreating people, taking advantage of poor labour and etc. If people stood up everytime something unethical happened, then business owners would think twice before putting money over ethics (hello Melnyk).

Last edited:

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Sooo if you go to a restaurant that's not paying its servers like Melnyk isn't paying scouts and isn't valuing or mistreating the manager(s) of the place like Melnyk did with Alfie/Anselmi/Leeder then you would say "Get a grip, it's just food"?

The fact that it's hockey has nothing to do with anything. What are your values in life? Why would you support someone who does things like that? Surely we don't have the same values.

In life there are some people who buy from unethical companies and don't really care about anything other than what they get. They don't care about the rest, just what they can personally gain from it. Then there are people who choose to support companies that make ethical choices and that treat people fairly (or more fairly). You always choose where you stand when you buy products/services from companies and entertainment isn't any different.

People who don't really care about these things are the reason companies keep being unethical and make poor choices. Let that be polluting, mistreating people, taking advantage of poor labour and etc. If people stood up everytime something unethical happened, then business owners would think twice before putting money over ethics (hello Melnyk).

It's at times like these where I am reminded that some people have a much more optimistic faith in humanity than I do..

Heady Topper

Apr 11, 2018
Get a grip dude, it's hockey.

Well, no. Countless people have been fired, have resigned because they didn't want to work under these horrible conditions for peanut salaries, etc. I don't expect everyone to know all this, but you should know the full impact of this owner before talking like you do.

Heady Topper

Apr 11, 2018
Ya man, tell me about our horrible fans who don't wanna go to Kanata for games as someone who lives in Victoria. Your thumb is really on the pulse here.

Hey afterwords lemme know how great the Burrows thing is going that you loved so much. And tell everyone how wrong they were about signing Anderson. Tell them about the things you have "half an idea about dude." Your takes are so great. Share them please.

The Burrows trade who was apparently Melnyk's idea. No point in arguing with this guy, he thinks like Melnyk :laugh:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I know it's not what Tnuonc said, and I don't know why he keeps fighting the point but

Most affordable in Canada.

But that is what I said ......... my exact words were "Ottawa has the most affordable tickets in Canada, and perhaps the league."

But the H&B EM Crew decided to focus on the latter part of my post, which was qualified as "perhaps" ........ and not the consensus, that Ottawa has the lowest average ticket cost, in Canada.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Yep, except we were well at 95% capacity and were told that we were a budget team, but that cap space would be made available when the time would come to sign our players. Which, not that it's time, is not the case.

95% Capacity, with perhaps as much as 15% being freebies, in a papered Arena.

If 15% of your tickets are given away, there is no additional revenues, except for parking and concessions perhaps.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
But that is what I said ......... my exact words were "Ottawa has the most affordable tickets in Canada, and perhaps the league."

But the H&B EM Crew decided to focus on the latter part of my post, which was qualified as "perhaps" ........ and not the consensus, that Ottawa has the lowest average ticket cost, in Canada.
Not even close to the least expensive in the league so thats pure hyperbole.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Because you included something that was false for no reason. Why say perhaps the league when it's not supported by anything out there? This isn't about hating Melnyk, it's about hating misleading crap. Say something misleading, or false, expect that somebody will call you out on it.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Not even close to the least expensive in the league so thats pure hyperbole.

Don't know of an official NHL website where Ave Ticket prices are posted, but from what I can find, Ottawa is not in the top-half of the league, and not sure if these charts are "official" or aftermarket prices ............ but would welcome additional info if you, or anyone has it.

nhlprices3617.JPG

2015-16 NHL Team Rankings By Median Ticket Price

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Don't know of an official NHL website where Ave Ticket prices are posted, but from what I can find, Ottawa is not in the top-half of the league, and not sure if these charts are "official" or aftermarket prices ............ but would welcome additional info if you, or anyone has it.

nhlprices3617.JPG

What a shitty way to do it. Florida is way cheaper you can go for 5 dollars. Just stop its embarassing Eugene.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
What a ****ty way to do it. Florida is way cheaper you can go for 5 dollars. Just stop its embarassing Eugene.

Median Ticket Prices....... not average or lowest.

If you have some additional information, please add it.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Median Ticket Prices....... not average or lowest.

If you have some additional information, please add it.
Median ticket prices is about as meaningless a stat for ticket sales there is. You cherry picked it because you have an agenda. Its pathetic.

Why? What are you trying to prove? Ticket prices are less expensive in Ottawa compared to Canada but are average compared to the rest of the league. Considering the rink is in the middle of no where with no entertainment, very little corporate, terrible public transport, terribly set up parking lot, an owner that is not commited to winning were doing fine.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The 3000 freebie tickets number (or 15%) came from 2 month into the season that followed one of the most disappointing years this team has had. Season ticket sales that year had dropped to 10000 thanks to low expectations following the 2008-09 season with Hartsburgh at the helm, and an offseason where Heatley forced a trade where ironically, it was the other team insisting on money in being equal to money out.

Concrete season ticket numbers are hard to find, but here's what I was able to dig up:

2007-0813000-13500
2008-09~10000
2009-10Unavailable
2010-11Unavailable
2011-1211300
2012-13pacing at ~13000 in june, Up 15% at the same time last year, but I doubt they hit 13000 given there was the lockout that year
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I suspect that give-aways are somewhat tied to season ticket sales. If at the hieght of it all, we probably had just shy of 10k season ticket sales thanks to a lousy season followed by offseason turmoil. We were trending in the right direction leading into the 2011-12 season, and had some real support going into the 2012-13 season, so I find it hard to believe the giveaways were consistantly at that 3000 level, not to mention the 3000 number came from a small 2 month sample, in which Leeder suggested a high percentage of the total bonus tickets given to STH renewals were used, so it would have likely been lower when looking at the entire season.

Last edited:

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Median ticket prices is about as meaningless a stat for ticket sales there is. You cherry picked it because you have an agenda. Its pathetic.

Why? What are you trying to prove? Ticket prices are less expensive in Ottawa compared to Canada but are average compared to the rest of the league. Considering the rink is in the middle of no where with no entertainment, very little corporate, terrible public transport, terribly set up parking lot, an owner that is not commited to winning were doing fine.

It's idea sport or idea ping pong, happens a lot these days in the age of the SJW where the person doesn't really digest or take time to understand the counter argument but rather volley something back typically unrelated...the relevance of it to the initial argument is moot as long as you keep firing that ball back over the net as the end goal is to "win" rather than learn. Very prominent in the SJW's who have formed an identity around their beliefs and engage in dishonest debates where there is no openness to change but rather an opportunity to express their view as loudly as possible and yet another opportunity to "win".

Reactions: Engineer

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

nhlprices3617.JPG

Vivid is a secondary market site. Also, why are you using 2015-16 numbers? They have 2017-18 numbers:

Rank
Home TeamMedian Price
1Toronto Maple Leafs$275
2Chicago Blackhawks$229
3New York Rangers$225
4Nashville Predators$198
5Montreal Canadiens$181
6Edmonton Oilers$180
7Winnipeg Jets$176
8Detroit Red Wings$170
9Minnesota Wild$155
10Boston Bruins$145
11Vegas Golden Knights$136
12New Jersey Devils$135
13Philadelphia Flyers$131
14Tampa Bay Lightning$125
15Pittsburgh Penguins$124
16Los Angeles Kings$122
17Dallas Stars$119
18Vancouver Canucks$107
19Ottawa Senators$101
20Columbus Blue Jackets$100
21Calgary Flames$99
22Washington Capitals$92
23San Jose Sharks$91
24Carolina Hurricanes$88
25Colorado Avalanche$85
26Anaheim Ducks$84
27Buffalo Sabres$83
28Florida Panthers$81
29St. Louis Blues$78
30Arizona Coyotes$78
31New York Islanders$73
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
It's idea sport or idea ping pong, happens a lot these days in the age of the SJW where the person doesn't really digest or take time to understand the counter argument but rather volley something back typically unrelated...the relevance of it to the initial argument is moot as long as you keep firing that ball back over the net as the end goal is to "win" rather than learn. Very prominent in the SJW's who have formed an identity around their beliefs and engage in dishonest debates where there is no openness to change but rather an opportunity to express their view as loudly as possible and yet another opportunity to "win".
Ah, the Sean Hannity defense. Eugene would approve.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

Count Dracula may be guilty of a lot of things, but a SJW he is not. In fact, I'm not sure anyone really is. Seems like a label that was invented to paint everyone with a progressive outlook as clowns so that conservatives can dismiss them more easily, but I digress.

Reactions: Rand0m

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Count Dracula may be guilty of a lot of things, but a SJW he is not. In fact, I'm not sure anyone really is. Seems like a label that was invented to paint everyone with a progressive outlook as clowns so that conservatives can dismiss them more easily, but I digress.
To be fair, I don’t think Count is a Skeleton Jazz Wizard either.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Hmmm, I came to talk hockey, you somehow work your way to taking a stand against global business, whatever. You also have all of the answers and are being super snarky and negative as usual. Personally I don't see the point in trying to have a discussion with someone who to took me saying Ottawa is a small market, all the way to 'Ottawa has horrible fans'. All of your posts have been angry and negative, and I really have no interest in dealing with that, sorry. For my part I'll just wait and see what the arena size will be, and listen to the rationale behind the decision.

As for the rest, it's easy when you crap on every single thing the team does. You pat yourself on the back when you're right, and quietly and begrudgingly join in the festivities when you're wrong. I'm fine with my opinions on Burrows and Anderson, and really don't need to tell anyone about being right or wrong, because as you say, those were my opinions. Things change, and so can opinions, for most people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->