Ottawa Senators Top Ten: Skating

OTownApologist

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, ON
As before with the shot releases, who are the top ten skaters in the organization? Meaning purely skating ability, nothing else.

1. Erik Karlsson
2. Mike Hoffman
3. Erik Condra
4. Curtis Lazar
5.Kyle Turris
6. Mika Zibanejad
7. Jean-Gabriel Pageau
8. Clarke MacArthur
9. Cody Ceci
10. Marc Methot

HM: Alex Chiasson, Buddy Robinson

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Hoffman ( I think he is actually the fastest skater in the league )

Karlsson

Turris
Zibanejad

Pageau
MaCarthur
Michalek
Smith

Chiasson
Condra

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Hoffman
Karlsson(karlsson is more effective using his speed then hoffman)

Lindberg
Turris

Pageau
Condra
Lazar
Wideman

MacArthur
Michalek
Greening robinson somewhere around here. Great skater for his size but doesnt always use it effectively

Wikstrand skating is suppose to be an asset too. I use to think it was a liability but his skating and shots are suppose to be really good

Chiasson is not fast. His knock has always been his skating. Maybe once he gets going but he cant accelerate and has no agility. Chiasson's being anywhere near the list is actually laughable

Michalek and Greening are both fast. Greening has slowed down in recent years though. Both dont use their speed effectively

Lindberg's skating is top notch. It realluy impressed me how quickly he accelerates and dips in and out. He looks much smaller because how agile he is

Chiasson to me is like Cowen post injuries

I think Zibby's skating is overrated and if anything its a liability. Looks clunky and doesnt have the great short bursts. Not great at dipping in and out

Last edited:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Karlsson
Hoffman

Pageau
MacArthur
Lazar
Zibanejad
Turris
Ceci
Michalek

Methot

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Hoffman
Karlsson
Lazar
Pageau
Zibby
Turris
Macarthur
Michalek
Ceci
Condra

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
can't forget about Greening

I don't understand how he's so fast in a speed competition, yet has average to below average speed in a game.

You'll see greening beat pageau in a competition, than you'll see pageau seperate from his defenders in a game, and you'll see everyone catch up to greening.

Is he not trying during a game, but trying during a skating competition? shouldn't it be the opposite?

I get he doesn't have a head on his shoulders for hockey. I get that. But that shouldn't affect his ability to skate fast during a game. Plenty of fast skaters were dumb players...but still showed their speed in game. A guy like Brett Lebda comes to mind. Skates like hoffman but achieves nothing else.

You'd think you'd see glimpses of him speeding down the wing, speeding by a guy to get to a lose puck, speeding by to get a break away.Of course we expect him to fail once he gets his chance, but we should alteast expect speed. We don't get it though. Only in practice.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I don't understand how he's so fast in a speed competition, yet has average to below average speed in a game.

You'll see greening beat pageau in a competition, than you'll see pageau seperate from his defenders in a game, and you'll see everyone catch up to greening.

Is he not trying during a game, but trying during a skating competition? shouldn't it be the opposite?

I get he doesn't have a head on his shoulders for hockey. I get that. But that shouldn't affect his ability to skate fast during a game. Plenty of fast skaters were dumb players...but still showed their speed in game. A guy like Brett Lebda comes to mind. Skates like hoffman but achieves nothing else.

You'd think you'd see glimpses of him speeding down the wing, speeding by a guy to get to a lose puck, speeding by to get a break away.Of course we expect him to fail once he gets his chance, but we should alteast expect speed. We don't get it though. Only in practice.

Things come into play like efficentcy, accleration, conditioning and agility. Greeming can get more power once he gets going and take big strides.

Greening just doesnt ever see the opportinity to use his speed. He also struggles to control the puck which makes his speed a little less useful. Greening's hands cant keep up with his legs once he gets going

In general short bursts of speed have always been more effective then guys who can skate really fast around the rink

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Things come into play like efficentcy, accleration, conditioning and agility. Greeming can get more power once he gets going and take big strides.

Greening just doesnt ever see the opportinity to use his speed. He also struggles to control the puck which makes his speed a little less useful. Greening's hands cant keep up with his legs once he gets going

In general short bursts of speed have always been more effective then guys who can skate really fast around the rink

This is what frustrates me about him. it's all mental though. I see times where the puck is dumped in and he can bust his ass and get on it first, but he'll get behind the D and skate at 75% and then poke check/ lightly bump him. Other times our player gets control of the puck, he has an open lane ahead of him to put on the jets to cause an odd man rush, but he will just glide through the neutral zone and we end up just dumping it in.

He has plenty of oppurtunity to use it, but never seizes it. Like he's worried about a cop busting him for speeding.

You make a good point, he can't keep control of the puck with speed. Even Cristoph Schubert was better. :laugh:

OTownApologist

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Hoffman
Karlsson(karlsson is more effective using his speed then hoffman)
Lindberg
Turris
Pageau
Condra
Lazar
Wideman
MacArthur
Michalek
Greening robinson somewhere around here. Great skater for his size but doesnt always use it effectively

Wikstrand skating is suppose to be an asset too. I use to think it was a liability but his skating and shots are suppose to be really good

Chiasson is not fast. His knock has always been his skating. Maybe once he gets going but he cant accelerate and has no agility. Chiasson's being anywhere near the list is actually laughable

Michalek and Greening are both fast. Greening has slowed down in recent years though. Both dont use their speed effectively

Lindberg's skating is top notch. It realluy impressed me how quickly he accelerates and dips in and out. He looks much smaller because how agile he is

Chiasson to me is like Cowen post injuries

I think Zibby's skating is overrated and if anything its a liability. Looks clunky and doesnt have the great short bursts. Not great at dipping in and out

It's not all about top speed, which is why I have Karlsson at #1. Far more effective of a skater, and is as smooth as they come.

As for Chiasson, he actually has a textbook long stride. Good arm positioning, doesn't waist bend, and finishes on the toe well. Doesn't start that quickly, but most people at that size don't.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
It's not all about top speed, which is why I have Karlsson at #1. Far more effective of a skater, and is as smooth as they come.

As for Chiasson, he actually has a textbook long stride. Good arm positioning, doesn't waist bend, and finishes on the toe well. Doesn't start that quickly, but most people at that size don't.

Effective skater for karlsson i agree but i think thats more because he knows how to use his skating and has other skills to combine with it. Karlsson in my mind is the second most effective skater in the league next to ovy. Stats back that up too.

I think if hoffman saw more opportunity to use his speed and had better hands he could be better.

Chiasson in my mind would be in the bottom tier of skaters on this team. Has zero agility and can only skate fast in a straight line once he gets going. Compared to Greening and Michalek guys of similar size he has meh skating. Cowen and him are close but hes not as bad as Wier or Gryba. I would actually have him around the bottom for skaters on the sens. Thats fine though. His asset has always been his playmaking and size

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
This is what frustrates me about him. it's all mental though. I see times where the puck is dumped in and he can bust his ass and get on it first, but he'll get behind the D and skate at 75% and then poke check/ lightly bump him. Other times our player gets control of the puck, he has an open lane ahead of him to put on the jets to cause an odd man rush, but he will just glide through the neutral zone and we end up just dumping it in.

He has plenty of oppurtunity to use it, but never seizes it. Like he's worried about a cop busting him for speeding.

You make a good point, he can't keep control of the puck with speed. Even Cristoph Schubert was better. :laugh:

I believe it was Dorion who said Greening would never be a good NHL player/powerforward because he is too scared of hurting others/hurting himself. Greening just doesnt have the right mind set to use his physical gifts. I also think hes legitamately become a worse skater now that hes around 30

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Effective skater for karlsson i agree but i think thats more because he knows how to use his skating and has other skills to combine with it. Karlsson in my mind is the second most effective skater in the league next to ovy. Stats back that up too.

I think if hoffman saw more opportunity to use his speed and had better hands he could be better.

Chiasson in my mind would be in the bottom tier of skaters on this team. Has zero agility and can only skate fast in a straight line once he gets going. Compared to Greening and Michalek guys of similar size he has meh skating. Cowen and him are close but hes not as bad as Wier or Gryba. I would actually have him around the bottom for skaters on the sens. Thats fine though. His asset has always been his playmaking and size

I do agree it's strange to mention chiasson's skating in this thread, however he is a better skater than: David Legwand, Patrick Weircioch, Eric Gryba, Jared Cowen, Chris Neil, Chris Phillips, and in-game Colin Greening. I think he's within site of guys like Mark Stone, Bobby Ryan, Mark Borowiecki, and Zack Smith.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
This is what frustrates me about him. it's all mental though. I see times where the puck is dumped in and he can bust his ass and get on it first, but he'll get behind the D and skate at 75% and then poke check/ lightly bump him. ...

Getting in first can lead to getting hit. After landing a big contract, Greening revealed his true softness.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Hoffman is fastest or second fastest skater in the league(Karlsson being the other).

With that being said, Karlsson is the best/fastest skater in the league with the puck easily.

Karlsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad