Ottawa Senators Team Toughness

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Ryan Reaves is a free agent. Any interest?

Yes. I think him or Jordan Nolan would be a good option as a 12th or 13th forward. Both should be relatively cheap and both provide an element which we are lacking. Given the fact that we need to start getting more prospects in the lineup it could be good to have a player around to give those players some space. Both Reaves and Nolan can play a solid defensive 4th line role and provide some physicality.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Thing is, how many players are like Ovechkin and Buff? Right now on the Sens our “tough” guys have either no skill or are slow. Smith,Burrows,Boroweicki and Harpur aren’t exactly good NHL players.

Smith is more agitator than physically tough and a fighter. Burrows is awol. Harpur is a young big player with potential who must develop either a puck handling or physical game to stay in the NHL. I think Harpur is a bit of pylon now and must develop his skating and a useful skill (physical defensive play) to stay in the league. Borowiecki is the only physically tough player who can play the policeman role even though he is not a heavy weight fighter. The rest of the team is soft or average at the physical game.

Reactions: topshelf15

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Any new thoughts on how the team handled the dirty hit on chabot?

Was it not a very late response by the team? Is that a personnel issue or coaching issue?

How would you have liked the team to respond? Hiw would you like to see the team respond to situations like this moving forward?

Would you like to add players to take over that kind of role?

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Answer: Nothing

This was a one off. I can't think of any other game this year where this came up. If the refs called the game properly then you and others wouldn't have this knee jerk reaction.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Answer: Nothing

This was a one off. I can't think of any other game this year where this came up. If the refs called the game properly then you and others wouldn't have this knee jerk reaction.

Why do you think it took so long for a response? Martin got another dirty hit in on lajoie later in the game. It is just odd and disappointing that the team dudbt really show any fight until the very end. It seems a bit common this season where the team doesn't really show any anger for getting blown out. Either way I would have liked to see an earlier response from the sens

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Anyone else notice when Tkachuk asked Guy if he could fight with 10 seconds to go? Guy said no. Good call by the coach.

Reactions: Cloud

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Why do you think it took so long for a response? Martin got another dirty hit in on lajoie later in the game. It is just odd and disappointing that the team dudbt really show any fight until the very end. It seems a bit common this season where the team doesn't really show any anger for getting blown out. Either way I would have liked to see an earlier response from the sens

Not sure, might be coaching, might be the way the guys are.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
I’m disappointed by the lack of toughness at the moment.

I seem to recall Borowiecki being a good fighter, now though I can’t remember the last time he even won a fight.

Smith is pathetic, he’s showing minimal character and grit.

Harpur, Jaros... at least they’re willing to go however that’s 1/3 of our D core.

I’d honesty like us to bring in a good fighting forward, sure Brady could end up as that player but there’s no guarantees.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

I seem to recall Borowiecki being a good fighter, now though I can’t remember the last time he even won a fight.

Harpur, Jaros... at least they’re willing to go however that’s 1/3 of our D core.

I’d honesty like us to bring in a good fighting forward, sure Brady could end up as that player but there’s no guarantees.

These are the players that actually did something and showed some competitive sport when the team was gettting kicked around and you bash these guys?

I thought the end to last nights game was awesome for the team. I was worried they’d show nothing, but a good chunk of the team showed they cared for their teamates

Reactions: solidprospect

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Boro - recent concussions
Smith - recent broken jaw
Brady - shouldn’t be fighting, should be scoring IMHO
Harpur - okay.
Jaros - not so good

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
When I think of team toughness I think hard to play against and guys who hurt when they check because they have a solid muscle mass.

Think of 2 guys heading for a loose puck along the boards. One guys goes in full force and so does the other guy maybe a half step late but all of a sudden the lead guy backs off at the last second and just tries to do a last second reach at the puck with his stick extended while he's backing off from a potential hit. The first guy has a last on puck mentality because he won't pay the price. It's more about self preservation. I want 2-3 forwards who make the other guy back off in puck races on my 3rd and 4th line but who can move up occasionlly when they are needed.

Same on the fore check. If a D or forward has all the time in the world to retrieve pucks behind his net or just feels a flea rub when he does he won't rush to make a play and is less likely to make mistakes. I'm not talking about plastering guys on the boards but if it hurts a bit he'll rush next time. Neil in his prime at around 215 to 225 lbs was that type of 3rd liner.

No doubt such a player will face challenges so it's a requirement for me that he be able to defend himself too and step in to calm things down in scrums to protect his line mates when need be.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
No doubt that are various aspects to toughness that can be broken out into more detailed aspects of it - fighting, battling, enduring, difficult to play against, creating or responding to a physical challenge when required. But the Chris Neil type player is still a valued archetype.

Didn’t they used to have a rule that if you got in a fight in the last 5 mins of a game, you would get an extra penalty or something? It escapes me now, but i think Gratts was restrained by it a few times. The premise was that many teams when looking for payback would wait until the last 5 mins of the game to start fights. Cause down by 3 goals, or down by 1 goal, or tied, or up by a goal, there is always complaints that isnt the right time to fight.

I don’t find the idea that there wasn’t an immediate response some failing of character. They did respond. And they were forced to. And I think they did a good job for the sake of them as a team.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
No doubt that are various aspects to toughness that can be broken out into more detailed aspects of it - fighting, battling, enduring, difficult to play against, creating or responding to a physical challenge when required. But the Chris Neil type player is still a valued archetype.

Didn’t they used to have a rule that if you got in a fight in the last 5 mins of a game, you would get an extra penalty or something? It escapes me now, but i think Gratts was restrained by it a few times. The premise was that many teams when looking for payback would wait until the last 5 mins of the game to start fights. Cause down by 3 goals, or down by 1 goal, or tied, or up by a goal, there is always complaints that isnt the right time to fight.

I don’t find the idea that there wasn’t an immediate response some failing of character. They did respond. And they were forced to. And I think they did a good job for the sake of them as a team.

I do wish they had that replacement for Chris. He could play well enough in his day, and not get injured in a fight.

I think they thought that they had that with Boro. They were wrong.

leftwinglocker

Go Knights !
Jul 22, 2010
Fought Reaves with a broken hand. Doubt that there are many in the league that would be willing to do that. Broke it blocking a shot in the Tampa game before. Mentioned that in several interviews.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I'm actually on board for acquiring some toughness for a change, the reason being that we have a young team, and I don't want them to be doing the fighting. I'm worried about the health of Tkachuk and Batherson (I know he's not up with the team currently, but I constantly worried about him getting injured). Our 3rd and 4th line is totally useless right now so why not replace some of the guys (Pyatt, Paajarvi) with some big goons? We're not trying to win games anyway, let's at least make other teams hate playing against us while they're beating us.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Any new thoughts on how the team handled the dirty hit on chabot?

Was it not a very late response by the team? Is that a personnel issue or coaching issue?

How would you have liked the team to respond? Hiw would you like to see the team respond to situations like this moving forward?

Would you like to add players to take over that kind of role?

We need the biggest toughest player in the valley on the 4th line, not the pansies we have now!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad