Confirmed with Link: Ottawa Senators sign Nick Ebert

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
That's a weird way to structure an AHL salary.
Why not just make it 350k annual when in Belleville.

Guess it means that they expect Ebert to play at least a partial season in Ottawa, and then save a few bucks daily when he's sent down.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
A guarantee is common with pro veterans in the AHL.

I'm not sure exactly how it all works out mathematically or why it's entirely necessary but it is used quite a bit.

We need RHD organizational depth. Beyond Ceci, Demelo, and Jaros, we have nobody. Can't complain about this signing. Free lunch as they say. It's basically all opportunity cost at this point.

Not having seen him play, his back story of being a former highly touted prospect who dropped to Mr.Irrelevent and his SHL stats make him very intriguing. Not saying that I expect him to be a star, but if he can translate to a 6-7th NHL D, that would be nice.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Regarding the math, assuming that the NHL regular season is still 184 days long, it works out to roughly 10 games in the NHL and the remainder in the AHL to hit 350k.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
A guarantee is common with pro veterans in the AHL.

I'm not sure exactly how it all works out mathematically or why it's entirely necessary but it is used quite a bit.

We need RHD organizational depth. Beyond Ceci, Demelo, and Jaros, we have nobody. Can't complain about this signing. Free lunch as they say. It's basically all opportunity cost at this point.

Not having seen him play, his back story of being a former highly touted prospect who dropped to Mr.Irrelevent and his SHL stats make him very intriguing. Not saying that I expect him to be a star, but if he can translate to a 6-7th NHL D, that would be nice.

It is super common. Danny Taylor and Mike McKenna both got it... most vets/top AHLers do too

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
That's a weird way to structure an AHL salary.
Why not just make it 350k annual when in Belleville.

Guess it means that they expect Ebert to play at least a partial season in Ottawa, and then save a few bucks daily when he's sent down.

$350 000 in The AHL would creep up to $375000 ish with a a few NHL games.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Who ranked the last player selected, at the end of the 7th round, in the first round?
Everyone, at one point

He was very highly regarded as a 15 year old and never progressed after his rookie season in the ohl. He was was crazy hyped (like, overhyped) as a 16 year old coming into the OHL and everyone thought he was some kind of prodigy. Had a crazy good season as a 16 year old in Windsor. That was when people were talking about him as a 1st round talent. Then he literally got worse in every OHL season. Nobody ranked him in the first round by the time his draft year rolled around but lots of people would have seen him as a guy to watch a couple years before. And by the time the draft rolled around, voila - 7th rounder.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I assume this means that they are not planning on re-signing the two 30 yr old defencemen Burgdoerfer RD & Falk LD. I wonder if they will re-sign one or both of the other two UFA right shot defencemen Elliott RD & Goloubef Rd?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Any chance he sticks with the Sens all year?
Not all year. He's got Zaitsev, Demelo and Jaros ahead of him on the right side. Then there's Hainsey who can play both and Brannstrom who's just ahead of him on the depth chart. I expect that he'll get some games but I wouldn't bet on him playing much in the NHL unless he's a standout in the A. There's opportuniry for him given that all the guys on our RD aren't very good but I dunno if he's better but he loses out on contract status.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
As a 25 year old defenseman, he still has a chance to have himself a long NHL career. If he was a forward I would brush this signing off as another depth player for Belleville but he seems to have all the tools of a full time NHL player and would not be surprised if he played more games in the NHL than the AHL this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad