Silver Seven Ottawa Senators Season Preview: Coaching and Management

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Trevor Shackles has spoken:

We’ve reached the final section of our season preview series, and that is the Ottawa Senators coaching staff and management. Part I and II of our season preview series discussing the forwards and defense/goalies have already been shared, so be sure to check those out if you haven’t already.

DJ Smith is entering his second season behind the Senators bench, whereas Pierre Dorion is entering his fifth full season as General Manager. Although there are others on the coaching staff such as Jack Capuano, Bob Jones, and Davis Payne, as well as Peter MacTavish as the assistant GM, Smith and Dorion will be the main focus of this article.

Season Preview: Coaching and Management

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Trevor Shackles has spoken:

We’ve reached the final section of our season preview series, and that is the Ottawa Senators coaching staff and management. Part I and II of our season preview series discussing the forwards and defense/goalies have already been shared, so be sure to check those out if you haven’t already.

DJ Smith is entering his second season behind the Senators bench, whereas Pierre Dorion is entering his fifth full season as General Manager. Although there are others on the coaching staff such as Jack Capuano, Bob Jones, and Davis Payne, as well as Peter MacTavish as the assistant GM, Smith and Dorion will be the main focus of this article.

Season Preview: Coaching and Management
This article is pretty bang on. Hard to disagree with much here.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
"The depth players that he has traditionally targeted have not been very good: players such as Nikita Zaitsev, Erik Gudbranson, Gabriel Dumont, Tom Pyatt, Chris Kelly (2.0), Cedric Paquette, Austin Watson, Scott Sabourin, Nate Thompson, etc. have all had underwhelming impacts in Ottawa and/or elsewhere."

How come guys like Austin Watson and Cedric Paquette have had underwhelming impacts elsewhere? Doesn't look like he watched Paquette with the Lightning. Also, Nate Thomson was very good for his role with the Habs.

Otherwise, article looks fine, well for the parts I have read.

Last edited:

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Personally I think Boucher had a lot to do with roster management when Boucher was here but Dorion is relying much less on DJ for that sort of input.

We have our talent - now we just have to put it all together and DJ looks like he’s a good fit to do it.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
I just want to see more moves in a season that we can't draw a direct line to the shallow chasm that is Melnyk's wallet. We got Murray and Dadonov this year, and every other trade was either giving up more resources than necessary to receive monetary relief or lesser assets in return for shedding salary.

It's incredibly frustrating how transparent it is. Also, the fact that largely Dorion gets fair value out of hist trades that send players away only reinforces my belief that he's a good GM bound by the owners meddling and pocket book.

Another season where I have to constantly keep in the back of my mind that Melnyk selling the team would be the best thing that could happen to the Sens.

Reactions: topshelf15

Imnotagoodposter

Jan 5, 2020
I just want to see more moves in a season that we can't draw a direct line to the shallow chasm that is Melnyk's wallet. We got Murray and Dadonov this year, and every other trade was either giving up more resources than necessary to receive monetary relief or lesser assets in return for shedding salary.

It's incredibly frustrating how transparent it is. Also, the fact that largely Dorion gets fair value out of hist trades that send players away only reinforces my belief that he's a good GM bound by the owners meddling and pocket book.

Another season where I have to constantly keep in the back of my mind that Melnyk selling the team would be the best thing that could happen to the Sens.
The pacquette trade saw us take salary on and so did the Stepan trade

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
All the depth players Dorion has signed and traded for in his career have been lacklustre. DeMelo is the only exception I can think of.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Personally I think Boucher had a lot to do with roster management when Boucher was here but Dorion is relying much less on DJ for that sort of input.

We have our talent - now we just have to put it all together and DJ looks like he’s a good fit to do it.
I disagree.. I think DJ has had significant input into the acquisition of Zaitsev, C. Brown, Watson and J Brown at least

Reactions: Smeddy

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Nate Thompson was terrible here. It was a really bad signing.

All the players "terrible here" has a lot to do with the coaching staff. On the Habs for this example,Nate didn't look quite nearly as bad becaue there's a major difference in terms of coaching staff quality. Goaltending and overall depht quality ($$$ invested) are also factors.

Maybe you don't think the coaching staff has been impact on how NHL players perform but we'll have to disagree here. I have often seen "non NHL players" in Ottawa pursue their career elsewhere.

An example of that is Alex Chiasson who some people here were lamblasting, yet he has been given 12-17 mins of TOI/GP on teams that had 94, 105, 79 and 96 pts (paced). These teams made the playoffs 3/4 seasons and one even won the Cup.

Another example? Ok, Mark Borowiecki who is "only in the NHL because Ottawa". Why would the Predators give him a 2 years contract worth 2 M$ per season then?

There's also the opposite thing happening where people get up in arms when Shane Prince gets traded for a 3rd round pick. He then goes and play 84 more NHL games and out. There's even articles written on that kind of subject like this one : "The Shane Prince Trade was Unnecessary and Frustrating"

Prince Trade Analysis: Unnecessary and Frustrating

As hockey fans, all we can do is give our opinion, but it is what it is, an opinion. Personally, I listen much more carefully when a ex NHL player/coach gives his evaluations.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
All the players "terrible here" has a lot to do with coaching staff. On the Habs for example, they don't look quite nearly as bad becaue there's a major difference in terms of coaching staff quality. Goaltending and overall depht quality ($$$ invested) are also factors.

Maybe you don't think the coaching staff has been impact on how NHL players perform but we'll have to disagree here. I have often seen "non NHL players" in Ottawa pursue their career elsewhere.

An example of that is Alex Chiasson who some people here were lamblasting, yet he has been given 12-17 mins of TOI/GP on teams that had 94, 105, 79 and 96 pts (paced). These teams made the playoffs 3/4 seasons and one even won the Cup.

Another example? Ok, Mark Borowiecki who is only in the NHL because he is in Ottawa... Why would the Predators give him a 2 years contract worth 2 M$ per season?

There's also the opposite thing happening where people get up in arms when Shane Prince gets traded for a 3rd round pick. He then goes and play 84 more NHL games and out. There's even articles written on that kind of subject "The Shane Prince Trade was Unnecessary and Frustrating"

Prince Trade Analysis: Unnecessary and Frustrating

As hockey fans, all we can do is give our opinion, but it is what it is, an opinion. Personally, I listen much more carefully when a ex NHL player or coach gives his evaluations.
This doesn't change the fact that the Nate Thompson signing was a bad one.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Next season I feel will be telling,we likely will have some kids show they are ready to lead the team...And cheap leadership veterans will not be needed...What will be are good players that support them...And that will cost more money...

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
The pacquette trade saw us take salary on and so did the Stepan trade

The pacquette trade saw us send out two LTIR contracts that were only partially insured. Though we took on more salary total we also shed money through those contracts. It didn't matter at all if we had kept those contracts and likely if we didn't force Tampa to take them we could have received better assets for the cap relief it provided them. Similarly, Stepan is a forward that was identified by several sites as being a likely target for the sens, why? Because his actual owed money was millions of dollars less than his salary. If random hockey blogs know this, I don't have a hard time imagining other GMs know it to. It lowers our bargaining leverage for trades making it harder to give fair value for players.

Listen, I don't hate the trades. As I said I just want to see more moves that everyone can't easily draw a hard line to Melnyk.

Imnotagoodposter

Jan 5, 2020
The pacquette trade saw us send out two LTIR contracts that were only partially insured. Though we took on more salary total we also shed money through those contracts. It didn't matter at all if we had kept those contracts and likely if we didn't force Tampa to take them we could have received better assets for the cap relief it provided them. Similarly, Stepan is a forward that was identified by several sites as being a likely target for the sens, why? Because his actual owed money was millions of dollars less than his salary. If random hockey blogs know this, I don't have a hard time imagining other GMs know it to. It lowers our bargaining leverage for trades making it harder to give fair value for players.

Listen, I don't hate the trades. As I said I just want to see more moves that everyone can't easily draw a hard line to Melnyk.
Still signed Dadonov and Murray and made some frugal but good trades also. Not really sure how anyone can look at this off-season in such a negative Nancy light you salty Susan !

Reactions: Crosside

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
DJ will be under a microscope this season. He needs to put the young guys in positions to succeed.
They also need to cement a winning culture. These young players need to go out every game and compete. Veterans who show any glimpse of slacking should be banished to the taxi squad until they're off the team completely.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Nate Thompson was terrible here. It was a really bad signing.

Was it a bad signing? Or bad luck? Thompson bottomed out in his battle with alcohol while here. He was better before he got here and since he left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad