Ottawa Senators Roster (22 players)

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Aside from Da Costa looking like the better player in pre-season and in the AHL, and management speaking to this.

Anyway, SDC won't be playing on the wing. He's a centre and they'll keep him there.

Sure, but Da Costa got to play with 1st liners.

I'm not making excuses for Zibanejad, I'm just saying sometimes it's easier to look good when you are given the better linemates.

Zibby still needs to go down to Bingo and have the attitude that he "needs to show the org that they made a mistake by sending hom down".

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Sure, but Da Costa got to play with 1st liners.

I'm not making excuses for Zibanejad, I'm just saying sometimes it's easier to look good when you are given the better linemates.

Zibby still needs to go down to Bingo and have the attitude that he "needs to show the org that they made a mistake by sending hom down".

Da Costa is older, but he's looked better at the AHL level and now in pre-season, too. Zibanejad was always better suited to playing on a non-scoring line than SDC was due to his tools (in the NHL). That said SDC looked like he was carrying the lines he was on in the pre-season despite who his linemates were which speaks volumes about how hard he was trying and how skilled he is.

I still think that SDC has been snake-bitten up to this point. I can't remember how many times I've seen him create amazing chances where there is no finish (either from him, or whoever else was involved in the play).

As SDC settles I think/hope he's going to start producing.

WhiteLight*

In alphabetical order:

CALGARY: Shane O'brien, Chris Butler, Derek Smith
CAROLINA: Jay Harrison, Mike Komisarek, Brett Bellemore (Harrison is pretty ok, Komi & Bellmore are so bad they go all the way around, come back to good, and then keep going to bad again.)
COLORADO: Ryan Wilson, Cory Sarich, Nick Holden <-- Worst defence in the league by the way, bar none
DALLAS: Brenden Dillon, Aaron Rome, Jordie Benn
EDMONTON: Anton Belov, Nick Schultz, Denis Grebeshkov
FLORIDA: Ryan Whitney, Ed Jovanovski, Mike Weaver (aka the "Over The Hill Gang")
ISLANDERS: Hickey, Brian Strait, Matt Donovan

There might be a few other 5-6-7's that are either equally bad, or are almost there. Anaheim comes to mind. Buffalo is going with Pysyk/McBain/Ristolainen... and while Pysyk & Risto might be nice players down the line, rookie defencemen often take a while to settle into the NHL, and the Sabres back-end could very well be a poop-show this year (though a good developmental year nonetheless). Tampa might be in trouble, but Brewer as a #5 is good, despite Aulie & Mark Barberio being a rough 6 & 7. Vancouver are rolling with Tanev, Weber (not the good one) and Alberts: yikes (*EDIT* I forgot Vancouver just picked up Ryan Stanton off waivers. I have no idea if this is an upgrade at all)

I'm not saying San Jose has a great 5-6-7 here either... I just dislike hyperbole.

Yeah maybe Calgary and that's it.

Dillon is an awesome player and shutdown D and faced #1 lines last year.

Weaver ditto. Love that guy. Most underrated player in the league.

Ryan Wilson is a decent player

I don't believe Belov and Schultz are Hannan bad.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Also given their relative skillsets I would expect that Da Costa will be centering Greening and Condra and Pageau will be with Smith and Neil. Maybe not, but I hope so.

Greening - Da Costa - Condra
Smith - Pageau - Neil

Both are effective lines that can put up points. I think both Pageau and Da Costa will get opportunities on special teams (likely PK for Pageau and PP for Da Costa).

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Don't put Condra and Da Costa on the same line.

The other team could ice 6 forwards and leave the net empty and those two will not put it in.

Greening - Pageau - Condra
Da Costa - Smith(better at faceoffs) - Neil

Bruce Garrioch‏@SunGarrioch54s
9-19-6; 16-7-89; 15-24-25 and 14-44-22 #Sens

I was close.

Last edited:

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa

The other team could ice 6 forwards and leave the net empty and those two will not put it in.

Da Costa should take the 1st Face off and try to cheat to win it. If caught, he gets replaced by Smith.

After face off, Smith goes back to the wing when play allows it.

WhiteLight*

Bruce Garrioch‏@SunGarrioch54s
9-19-6; 16-7-89; 15-24-25 and 14-44-22 #Sens

I was close.

Not too bad. I would switch Michalek and Conacher.

Let's hope the Smith line shows some offence. Would love to see Smith develop into a sniping winger

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
That Smith - Da Costa - Neil line is disgusting, and not in a good way

Agree, and I also agree with MAK, if Michalek Spezz and Bob don't show more chemistry soon I'd put Conacher with them, a fast little pest that opens space for our 2 big guys and disturbs the other team! I think CC89 will have a great season and I'm happy he stepped up in camp as I believed in him and kept defending him!

As for the quote, I love Neil, but I don't think he should be on a 3rd line anymore, IMO, he can chip in a couple of goals but I think most of the time he kills the play because he's not so fast anymore and really has stone hands.. but I also don't know if I'd like JGP or SDC on the boards

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'm just a bit skeptical of the chances that they're going to give to Da Costa. I really feel like he should be playing with players that can convert on his abilities, and someone that can help out defensively to drive possession like Condra. Pageau does a good enough job of that on his own.

Smith - Da Costa - Condra
Greening - Pageau - Neil

IMO

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Smith-Da Costa-Neil > any line combination with Kassian. I'll take it. I really like the idea of Smith moving to wing. It just might not be as great in practice as it does in theory.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Would love to see Smith develop into a sniping winger

What?

FolignoQuantumLeap said:
Smith-Da Costa-Neil > any line combination with Kassian. I'll take it. I really like the idea of Smith moving to wing. It just might not be as great in practice as it does in theory.

I think it's pretty bizarre myself. Two north-south guys with a playmaking centre.

Last edited:

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Am I the only one who thinks that a line of

Da Costa - Smith - Neil

would he a huge defensive liability?

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
You guys are looking at this wrong.

Greening-Pago-Condra will be a great line, which leaves the spare parts left on a line together (Smith-Da Costa-Neil). We might not like the spart parts line, but that's the price we pay to have the Pago line be so awesome.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
You guys are looking at this wrong.

Greening-Pago-Condra will be a great line, which leaves the spare parts left on a line together (Smith-Da Costa-Neil). We might not like the spart parts line, but that's the price we pay to have the Pago line be so awesome.

i like both lines

WhiteLight*

Sniping is a strong word, used it because Da Costa's the playmaker. But I'd like to see him take steps forward in his finishing ability. 15-20 goals would be nice and I think he's capable of it.

i like both lines

Yeah so do I.

To be honest I'm more worried about the big line clicking. Don't think they will

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad