Ottawa Senators history (Pre modern)

member 51464

Should the original Senators stanley cups count towards the current Sens?

I always thought the NHL should consider the current Sens like the Browns in NFL were there history is counted?

No. The situations are completely different. Just look at the massive timeline for one. I mean the Senators were a non-existant franchise for many times longer than they originally existed before they came back, right?

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
I think it should count just because of the importance of the original senators and the silver seven's impact on hockey as a whole. Ottawa was the first hockey dynasty, and that needs to be recognized.

Its important to remember that the club predated the NHL by 35 years. And that ottawa HC had an influence on Lord Stanley deciding to start the Dominion Hockey Challenge, for which he donated the trophy.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
There should be a rule that if the last "surviving" player to with a Cup for a team dies before the new version of the said team appears, then, the Cups shouldn't count.

Unfortunately, M. Finnigan died in 1991.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
There should be a rule that if the last "surviving" player to with a Cup for a team dies before the new version of the said team appears, then, the Cups shouldn't count.

Unfortunately, M. Finnigan died in 1991.
for sens fans who know the history, its not about the cups. We dont go around bragging that we have 11 cups. For us its about the history and the contribution our city made to the game of hockey.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
for sens fans who know the history, its not about the cups. We dont go around bragging that we have 11 cups. For us its about the history and the contribution our city made to the game of hockey.

I think you can do that without the cups or those old teams being linked to the current on, with enough effort

And despite what you personally wouldn't do or what fellow Ottawa fans you are closest to wouldn't do, I am doubting people wouldn't go around bragging if those 11 cups were brought in as part of the current Ottawa cup count. I've met quite an number who would likely try to use that information to do so, if they knew about it and it really counted.

The Chef*

Shouldn't count. New Sens should make their own history, if they get their ****ing heads out of their *****.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I would say 'no' officially but they should still find ways of commemorating the history as belonging to the city, even if it doesn't belong to the current franchise.

To take it to the more 'concrete' level, keep the Stanley Cup banners but don't have the modern logo on them. Would also love to see them sporting the barberpoles as a turn-back-the-clock or third jersey (there's been many threads on that). Not having the history officially part of the current team doesn't take away from the significance of the history and the importance of keeping it alive.

I don't think the current team leverages the history enough (instead we get Centurions with dodgy microphones and helmets that don't fit :sarcasm:).

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I would say 'no' officially but they should still find ways of commemorating the history as belonging to the city, even if it doesn't belong to the current franchise.

To take it to the more 'concrete' level, keep the Stanley Cup banners but don't have the modern logo on them. Would also love to see them sporting the barberpoles as a turn-back-the-clock or third jersey (there's been many threads on that). Not having the history officially part of the current team doesn't take away from the significance of the history and the importance of keeping it alive.

I don't think the current team leverages the history enough (instead we get Centurions with dodgy microphones and helmets that don't fit :sarcasm:).

This sums it up pretty well .. it doesn't really matter whether or not the modern Senators can lay claim to eleven Stanley Cups; the original Senators should be a source of civic pride in Ottawa, and the modern Senators are (and should be) a vehicle to connect us to this previous era. The organization has done this to some extent, having the old cup banners hanging from the rafters, retiring Frank Finnigan's number, and naming all the roads around the stadium in honor of the Silver Seven, but I think more should be done to reconcile the Silver Seven with the collective conscience of today's Senators fans.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
If that's what it takes to make sens fans respect their city and team's history, is to pretend it is the same franchise it's ever been, sure, go for it. The more people that respect and revere hockey history, the better.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
What about when a city loses a team then gets another team later? Should the two be considered somehow connected?

For example, I imagine that most of the adult fans of the Minnesota Wild were fans who watched the North Stars. Would it be out of line for the Wild to hold an appreciation night, or even a jersey retirement ceremony for say Bobby Smith or Neal Broten?

I thought about this a few weeks ago when the NFL was having their throwback jersey day, and Tennessee coach Jeff Fisher was wearing a Houston Oilers sweater. I know that the Houston Oilers became the Tennessee Titans, but wouldn't it have made more sense for the Houston Texans to wear the old Oiler jerseys? Wouldn't that logo mean more to the fans in Houston than in Tennessee?

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC

The Senators won the 1926-27 cup under the NHL rules, I have no issue giving them that. The others were against teams like Smith Falls or the Winnipeg rowing club.

The challenge rule of the Stanley cup made anything before then into a farce

From Mar 6th 1909 until march 16 1911 they won 6 cups, nuff said

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
The Senators won the 1926-27 cup under the NHL rules, I have no issue giving them that. The others were against teams like Smith Falls or the Winnipeg rowing club.

The challenge rule of the Stanley cup made anything before then into a farce

From Mar 6th 1909 until march 16 1911 they won 6 cups, nuff said

Not each one of those goes into the books as a cup win. Those were mainly "successful cup defences"

You are onto something but you are making blanket statements that distort the picture.

First: The sens in 1920, 1921, and 1923 were an NHL team that won the cup against very formidable foes from the PCHA, including twice against the Vancouver team that kicked their ***** in 1915.

Yes, some cup wins were jokes. Smiths Falls and the Winnipeg Rowing club would count. So would Dawson City and a few others.

Second: The cup finals were not a farce due to the challenge rule. Some were a farce, because of the teams that "earned" the right to challenge. The finals in the Challenge era were competitive more often than they weren't. And even the years that the winner didn't have to play anyone of significance, the reason they remained champions was because they were the top team in the top league. If they weren't, they had to pass the cup to that team. It happened 3-4 times in total.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

IMHO I'd give them these:

1919-1920 Ottawa Senators over Seattle Metropolitans
1920-1921 Ottawa Senators over Vancouver Millionares
1922-1923 Ottawa Senators over Edmonton Eskimos
1926-1927 Ottawa Senators over Boston Bruins

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Are the Silver Seven the Sens?

Because the Arenas and St Pats ARE the Leafs.

If they aren't the same organzation, pull the banners down.
Also at one point in History, the Sens had cup banners, which were won by the
Silver Seven.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Are the Silver Seven the Sens?

Because the Arenas and St Pats ARE the Leafs.

If they aren't the same organzation, pull the banners down.
Also at one point in History, the Sens had cup banners, which were won by the
Silver Seven.

Yes, it was all the same hockey club all along. the Silver Seven is a name that stuck with the team throughout history but they were really just the Ottawa Hockey Club, or "The Ottawas". The Silver Seven was a nickname given to those particular seven players after they were awarded silver nuggets by Senators owner and mining tycoon Bob Shillington following the 1903 cup win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad