UPDATE 2/26 No more extensions in LeBreton mediation, Heritage minister says

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
So that puts the new arena's completion at about the start of the 2022-2023 season. 4 years seems like a long time... but hey at least it seems to be happening.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
"... in principle...", "...arrange for financing..."

Still a long ways to go. Next step: Public financing.

It's very convenient for the NHL and their owners that they have Quebec (and now Houston) to use in these hostage situations.

Reactions: Rob

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
So that puts the new arena's completion at about the start of the 2022-2023 season. 4 years seems like a long time... but hey at least it seems to be happening.

All the planning, financing, and building took almost 10 years in Edmonton, so getting it done in 4 years is a pretty solid timeline.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Renders look like a nice rink.

Whats the talk around the financing of this thing. It is well known that Melnyk is one of the poorer owners in the league so I can't imagine that he will be paying for this on his own. Have there been whispers about his desire to get municiapl / provincial / federal funds for this thing?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Didn't stop them from knocking down Georgia Dome.
ATL is a weird city. They also knocked down Turner Field, which was the Olympic Stadium used for Track back in 1996. 20 years and it got ripped down.

Phillips Arena got a massive reno less than 20 years into its existence.

CTC and GSRA are both fine arenas. Just that their location sucks. If you could pick it up and move it, they would both be fine arenas for another 20 years.

I personally hate the attitude of the NHL when it comes to arenas. They are huge capital expenditures and they seem to think that cities are more than happy to dump hundreds of millions of tax dollars to fund them every 2 decades. Business 101 is location, location, location.

Firestone wanted to have some major development around the CTC in Kanata. But, honestly, I recall Burke back when he was the assistant to Quinn in Vancouver and he said that the Canucks wanted a downtown arena because that's where people worked. So, makes it easier for the majority of fans to get off work at 5pm, grab a bite to eat, then head to the arena.

Last edited:

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
The NCC made it clear that everything built on this land would be financed by the group awarded, and not taxpayers money. We'll see if Melnyk still fights for it, though.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
If the fast track in Ottawa is still 4-5 years how long will it take the Coyotes to get an arena approved and built?

When the new Ottawa is build in five years, and the Coyotes are still in Glendale without a new arena, the Coyotes will transfer their team to 27 year old arena in Kanata.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Ottawa is still the best place to see a Leafs game so I really hope this works out.

Won't be for too much longer. All the trash people who failed to adopt the Senators in order to keep in line with the legacy of their family's fandom are all located in the suburbs. Downtown core is mostly young yuppies who are Senators fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->