Ottawa Senators - 2018/19 lineup

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think the Sens sorting out of all that lockeroom cancer should really help their club. I personally saw it last year with the Avs that getting rid of the trash will always help chemistry off the ice which eventually improves the product on the ice.

However, how much will all the UFA's they have will honestly care and give a damn? I get that Karlsson can single-handily put any team in the postseason or even bubble, but he's going to get paid regardless of how he preforms this season. Duchene is very prideful guy so I don't think you would have to worry about him except the inconsistency issues which he's had his entire career. On the other hand though, players like Stone and Anderson seem unsettled and those might not bring their "A" game every night. Their depth is quite bad and besides Karlsson I don't buy anything that team is selling me on the back-up.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're 30th or 15th or anywhere between there in the league next season.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
This lineup... Is not bad! Could definately make some noise if the rookies click together. Prove me wrong?
My rebuttal:

melnyk-squint.jpg

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Ottawa is going up against Toronto, Tampa and Boston in your own division. Not to mention Buffalo, Florida and Detroit being much better than the Sens. It's a race to the bottom for Montreal and Ottawa, and the Habs have Price...

I am not sure that I agree that Buffalo and Detroit are much better than the Sens. I do not view Detroit as being better on paper and Buffalo, while having great young talent and a bright future, may flounder again this season.

The Sens finishing fifth in their division and ahead of Buffalo, Montreal, and Detroit is certainly not out of the question in my mind.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Brutal...how is a guy like EK supposed to go into the season with optimism with that kind of a shit show in front of him?

A motivated EK is deadly, but how is he supposed to be motivated when he'll be busy laughing the whole time he's on the ice knowing how seriously f***ed his team is, and will be even more so after he leaves.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Still looks like a bottom five team on paper. If I were Ottawa I’d keep Brown and Tkachuk away from the team for development purposes. This season is a lost cause, no need to mess with the young guys development in order to save face. Give Brown top line minutes in the AHL, send Tkachuk to juniors to tear it up.

The pick is lost doesn’t matter if it’s tenth overall or first overall. The rest of their season shouldn’t be centred around trying not to look dumb.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
The whole prove me wrong this has run its course, has it not?

In any event, that line up is .. ok. No they wont make any noise but they might not fi ish last.

Except .. Karlsson and Stone will 100% be traded before the deadline. Soooo yeah .. its a dumpster fire. No matter how much spin you put on it, its gonna smell like a turd all season.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Should've given up this years pick instead of this coming seasons. Could've sold everything and restarted... now you have to try to be competitive and then hope you can get good value at the deadline. What a brain dead gm and owner.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Expected production if they want to make playoffs:
Dzingel (45pts) - Duchene (60pts) - Ryan (50pts)
Smith (35pts) - Pageau (45pts) - Stone (65pts)
Tkachuk (35pts) - White (30pts) - Boedker (35pts)
Paajarvi (15pts) - Pyatt (15pts) - Gaborik (15pts)

Borowiecki (10pts) - Karlsson (75pts)
Chabot (45pts) - Ceci (20pts)
Wolanin (25pts) - Wideman (30pts)

Anderson 2.3 GAA .920 Sv%
Condon 2.5 GAA .915 Sv%

LINE 1: If Ryan can bounce back (Dustin Brown did it..) this a is a serviceable top line.
LINE 2: Had great chemistry and success a few years ago. Pageau has untapped offensive upside.
LINE 3: A very raw line with Tkachuk and White. Need them to play above their heads.
LINE 4: Traditional 4th line.

DEFENSE: Very weak, but Chabot needs to plays like a legit top 4 D-man, and Ceci needs to complement him, we know Karlsson can carry a pairing. Wolanin is a wild card, Wideman looked fine as a #6.

GOALTENDING: Three years before, Anderson posted: .926, .916, and .923 sv%s… Last year he was .898. He is bouncing back. If he gets to the .920’s he gives Ottawa a chance.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Ottawa is not on that bad of a spot. They good pieces to trade and rebuild around.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Any team with Karlsson is a dark horse.

Do people not realize that he just carried a ****ty sens team to one goal of the finals?

Karlsson playing like his godly self is 30 minutes of the game slanted in your favour.

Are we going to pretend how different that roster was? Or that the difference in chemistry was astronomical? Or that Anderson was as big of a factor as EK? That there is no Methot, Brassard, Phaneuf, Hoffman, MacArthur and Ryan played like a man possessed in those playoffs? Hanging your hat on that makes as much sense as Hawks fans hanging their hat on their last Cup.

The forward depth is so-so, and it can range from passable to downright horrible if the rookies don't catch on quickly. The D is absolutely horrible. Ceci will surely again be asked to face the tough matchups as they don't want EK or Chabot to do that and he will likely get crushed yet again and it gets even worse after him. Yes EK is brilliant and Chabot looked pretty good at times, but those two are not nearly enough to negate the shortcomings of everyone else. As for goaltending, Condon is a decent backup at best, and Anderson is a 37-year-old coming off of a horrible season.

I think the best case scenario is finishing around 10th in the draft, worst is obviously dead last.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Are we going to pretend how different that roster was? Or that the difference in chemistry was astronomical? Or that Anderson was as big of a factor as EK? That there is no Methot, Brassard, Phaneuf, Hoffman, MacArthur and Ryan played like a man possessed in those playoffs? Hanging your hat on that makes as much sense as Hawks fans hanging their hat on their last Cup.

The forward depth is so-so, and it can range from passable to downright horrible if the rookies don't catch on quickly. The D is absolutely horrible. Ceci will surely again be asked to face the tough matchups as they don't want EK or Chabot to do that and he will likely get crushed yet again and it gets even worse after him. Yes EK is brilliant and Chabot looked pretty good at times, but those two are not nearly enough to negate the shortcomings of everyone else. As for goaltending, Condon is a decent backup at best, and Anderson is a 37-year-old coming off of a horrible season.

I think the best case scenario is finishing around 10th in the draft, worst is obviously dead last.

Look this sens roster is shit but that roster was shit too.

saying anderson was as big of a factor as karlsson makes you lose tons of credibility. Anderson was average to above average starter. saying he had the same impact as EK is laughable

This team can very well suck. It's a bad roster with tons of unknown. But 30 minutes of a dominant Erik Karlsson is a huge x factor.

Karlsson has led the sens to what was considered impossible for them twice before.

Last edited:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Look this sens roster is **** but that roster was **** too.

saying anderson was as big of a factor as karlsson makes you lose tons of credibility. Anderson was average to above average starter. saying he had the same impact as EK is laughable

This team can very well suck. It's a bad roster with tons of unknown. But 30 minutes of a dominant Erik Karlsson is a huge x factor.

Sure it does, he was absolutely immense for them. In the series, you guys like to hang your hat on he had a save percentage of over 95% not counting the stinker in game 5 you weren't winning anyway since you didn't score a goal.

That whole team rallied behind the story behind his wife and they play well over their heads, but comparing that roster with this one, even though the 16/17 one wasn't all that great still favors them greatly.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Look this sens roster is **** but that roster was **** too.

Karlsson has led the sens to what was considered impossible for them twice before.
This is what scares me as an Avs fan. Karlsson at his best can do even more for the Sens than what Mackinnon did last year for the Avs and he should be very motivated this year. His last playoffs were Pronger-esque in terms of impact, he absolutely can turn the Sens around if he plays up to the level he’s capable of. I really wish some team would’ve just upped their offer this summer because if he leaves that roster is probably bottom 5 bound.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Let's not raise expectations to unreasonable levels.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
37 year olds don't bounce back. Sorry

Especially 37 year old goalies who don't want to play for the team.

Anderson has been consistently inconsistent for almost his entire career. Maybe 37 is finally the age that kicks his on-gain off-again trend, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he was a .915+ guy this year.

Now, if the rumors of him wanting out of Ottawa are true, that’s a bit of a different story. Goalies are headcases as is. I’d be terrified of heading into the season with one that is 100% focused.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->