Pyatt-Chlapik-Carey

Possible F's: Formenton, Luchuk, McCormick

Chabot-Karlsson
Wolanin-Ceci
Borowiecki-Wideman
Harpur-Jaros

Anderson
Condon

This lineup... Is not bad! Could definately make some noise if the rookies click together. Prove me wrong?
You need half the roster to over achieve for the Sens to be good next year. They will be a bottom 10 team for sure, and then after Karlsson and Duchene leave by the end of next year, they will be awful for a few more seasons after that. Craig Anderson will leave as well, so this team is hurting.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Gaborik and Ryan cannot be relied on to provide significant offense. Tkachuk is a raw 18 year old rookie.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
In all seriousness, this lineup kinda made me realize how desperate of a situation the Senators are in.

Mark Stone, Erik Karlsson and Matt Duchene could all walk at the end of the year.

Sens fans should almost be hoping the team is utter dogshit in order to guarantee the team sells them if they don’t sign extensions.

If they are for whatever reason the Sens are close to the playoffs come February, and Melnyk smells that sweet playoff money, he could not allow Dorion to sell.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I think they could actually have a pretty decent year as a team. A healthy, motivated Karlsson can carry a club singlehandedly. Add in a motivated Duchene and Stone and the Sens can surprise IMO. When a team's three best players are all pending UFAs and have a vested interest in maximizing their personal seasons, regardless of if they are unhappy or discontent in some way, then I think that bodes pretty well for the on ice product. Of course, for the Sens long term it sucks, but I can see Dorion / Melnyk 1) Not trading those guys off to stick it to the Avs / due to the draft pick and trying to save face there, and 2) Melnyk is probably desperate for maximizing his dollars, which means he wants the best season possible.

I won't be surprised if the Sens do pretty well next season and are somewhere around that playoff bubble. Also won't be surprised if, in that case, they go through the deadline with at least 2 of Karlsson / Duchene / Stone unsigned.

Reactions: Weast

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
A bit of luck and the forwards could click but that d core is godawful. Would need a miracle for them to play good.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
1 2nd line, 2 4th lines, and a 3rd line. No #1C or #1 LW, only two dmen that are top 4 caliber, below average goaltending, and the best player doesn't even want to be there anymore due to poor management/owner and will be playing knowing he is going to get traded almost no matter what at anytime. Not to mention the old guys who suck now and the young unproven guys playing as regular 2nd liners? Oof. If this team wins 25 games I'd be surprised.

And to think Duchene, Stone, and Karlsson all may be gone after or during this season? Wow

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This team screams mediocrity as an absolute best scenario. You're pinning Brown going from the OHL to a 2nd liner in the NHL immediately and a freshly drafted Tkachuk to also jump right onto the 2nd line. The top-9 is 2 actual good players, 2 absolute unknowns who have proven nothing in professional hockey, 3 washed up former good players and a 3rd liner. The 4th line is a waiver wire caliber player, another washed up former good player and an unproven prospect.

On defense, it's another unproven player in Ceci on the top pair with Karlsson, and the rest is just atrocious. Wolanin has 10 career pro games, and you're putting him on the 2nd pair with an absolute trainwreck in Ceci. Borowiecki is absolute garbage and Wideman missed 66 games last year and has never played above 14 minutes a night. In net, you have another washed up former good player in Anderson, and a stereotypical backup in Condon. So what exactly is anyone seeing wrong with this team? If everything goes well, where Brown and Tkachuk play like top-6 players, Chabot fits in well on the top pair, Wolanin plays at a top-4 level and all of the other young guys do well in their roles, this team is still going to be mediocre at best.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
You have Karlsson - a generational talent on the backend. You have Matt Duchene - a number one centre who was really good for the second half of last season. And then you have Mark Stone - a two-way beast who had a great season.

Reminds me of 2012, when the Sens had no expectations and a decent roster and made things work. If Anderson improves at all upon last sewson, I see the Sens making a run for it.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
You have Karlsson - a generational talent on the backend. You have Matt Duchene - a number one centre who was really good for the second half of last season. And then you have Mark Stone - a two-way beast who had a great season.

Reminds me of 2012, when the Sens had no expectations and a decent roster and made things work. If Anderson improves at all upon last sewson, I see the Sens making a run for it.

In 2012 Ottawa had a better supporting cast, especially on the blueline with Phillips, Gonchar, Kuba and Carkner. Also, I can’t see 2018 Anderson being anywhere close to as good as 2012 Anderson.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
In 2012 Ottawa had a better supporting cast, especially on the blueline with Phillips, Gonchar, Kuba and Carkner. Also, I can’t see 2018 Anderson being anywhere close to as good as 2012 Anderson.

I don’t think they’ll be as good as 2012 Sens, which is why I said if Anderson was good enough the Sens could make a run for it (probably not even make it).

Karlsson is better than he was in 2012, and Anderson probably isn’t a sub-.900SV% goalie again. Phillips was meh, Kuba was very bad, Gonchar was good and Carkner isn’t much different from Boro (and I’m not much of a Boro fan).

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I don’t think they’ll be as good as 2012 Sens, which is why I said if Anderson was good enough the Sens could make a run for it (probably not even make it).

Karlsson is better than he was in 2012, and Anderson probably isn’t a sub-.900SV% goalie again. Phillips was meh, Kuba was very bad, Gonchar was good and Carkner isn’t much different from Boro (and I’m not much of a Boro fan).

Kuba was bad in 2010-2011, but quite good in 2011-2012. Karlsson better now? I dunno. He had 78 points and won his first Norris. If he’s better now, it’s not by much. He was damn good that year. Phillips was still solid at that point.

No chance the 2018-2019 Sens are as good as that team. None.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I think they could actually have a pretty decent year as a team. A healthy, motivated Karlsson can carry a club singlehandedly. Add in a motivated Duchene and Stone and the Sens can surprise IMO. When a team's three best players are all pending UFAs and have a vested interest in maximizing their personal seasons, regardless of if they are unhappy or discontent in some way, then I think that bodes pretty well for the on ice product. Of course, for the Sens long term it sucks, but I can see Dorion / Melnyk 1) Not trading those guys off to stick it to the Avs / due to the draft pick and trying to save face there, and 2) Melnyk is probably desperate for maximizing his dollars, which means he wants the best season possible.

I won't be surprised if the Sens do pretty well next season and are somewhere around that playoff bubble. Also won't be surprised if, in that case, they go through the deadline with at least 2 of Karlsson / Duchene / Stone unsigned.

Same. I think they overachieve this year and bottom out the next.

Not that they’ll be good. They won’t. I just don’t think they’re the basement-lock people think they are.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Consi
Next year's lineup:

Dzingel-Duchene-Stone
Tkachuk-Brown-Ryan
Bodeker-Pageau-Gaborik
Paajarvi-Smith-White

Pyatt-Chlapik-Carey

Possible F's: Formenton, Luchuk, McCormick

Chabot-Karlsson
Wolanin-Ceci
Borowiecki-Wideman
Harpur-Jaros

Anderson
Condon

This lineup... Is not bad! Could definately make some noise if the rookies click together. Prove me wrong?

If Tkachuk is in the lineup for more than nine games this season, he's either competing with McDavid and company for scoring trophies or Ottawa's in a lot more trouble than most of us fans already expect.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
In all seriousness, this lineup kinda made me realize how desperate of a situation the Senators are in.

Mark Stone, Erik Karlsson and Matt Duchene could all walk at the end of the year.

Sens fans should almost be hoping the team is utter dog**** in order to guarantee the team sells them if they don’t sign extensions.

If they are for whatever reason the Sens are close to the playoffs come February, and Melnyk smells that sweet playoff money, he could not allow Dorion to sell.

If management plays it right, while it sucks they don't have their 1st they otherwise have a good opportunity to do some major selling, wipe the slate clean and start over without any baggage. Looking at Karlsson, Duchene, and now Stone with 1 year left till UFA I get the impression that this will be game plan. With those three there are no NTC's to get in the way, apart from a 10 team no trade list from Karlsson, and it's exceptionally unlikely they'll be anywhere near a playoff spot to risk keeping them.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Kuba was bad in 2010-2011, but quite good in 2011-2012. Karlsson better now? I dunno. He had 78 points and won his first Norris. If he’s better now, it’s not by much. He was damn good that year. Phillips was still solid at that point.

No chance the 2018-2019 Sens are as good as that team. None.

Kuba was bad, that’s why the Sens let him walk as a UFA. He was playing with Karlsson, which is how he got his points , but he was brutal. Every Sens fan would tell you that.

Karlsson racked up the points in 2011-12, but he controls the game a lot better now. Well, that is assuming he is telling the truth when he says his ankle is back to what it was now. He was excellent, now he is generational.

Phillips wasn’t as bad as his late years, but definitely on the come down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad