Sportsnet: Ottawa Senator with COVID19 (Possibly multiple players)

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Because it's a personal matter and none of your business.

what if I am a fan and took his autograph, shouldn't I know if I possibly might be infected? It is not some embarrassing disease in is about helping stop the spread, the more info is out there the easier it is to stop the spread. If they don't say who it is, why even report that?

Reactions: Sun God Nika

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
what if I am a fan and took his autograph, shouldn't I know if I possibly might be infected? It is not some embarrassing disease in is about helping stop the spread, the more info is out there the easier it is to stop the spread. If they don't say who it is, why even report that?
We have privacy laws in place. It would be against the law to name the player.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

But you didn't...they've been in self isolation since thet returned

They're not naming other people with the virus

Why hockey players?

Reactions: swiftwin

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We have privacy laws in place. It would be against the law to name the player.
That was my initial thought, but they tell us what injury players have all the time, and say their out of the lineup because of the flu, for example.

I'm not saying they should tell us, and I do think this is different than a guy out of the lineup with an injury, I just wonder why they can disclose some medical info with no issues.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
That was my initial thought, but they tell us what injury players have all the time, and say their out of the lineup because of the flu, for example.

I'm not saying they should tell us, and I do think this is different than a guy out of the lineup with an injury, I just wonder why they can disclose some medical info with no issues.

On a marketing level, it's why the NHL will almost certainly forever be the 4th most popular major sports league. NBA players with Covid-19 confirmation have come out and owned it, using their platforms to help spread the seriousness of the need to distance ourselves and to take extra precautions.

Hockey players are so goddamn unlikeable. And I can confirm that from years of working in restaurants frequented by players from all of the big 4 north american leagues.

They need a lot of help on that front. Need to hire a PR firm or something.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

Well, they usually only report because it affects whether they're in the lineup or not. And even then, they usually only report upper body injury, lower body injury, or illness. That's it.

Also, they don't report if a player gets the flu in the offseason, right? So why would they do it now?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Thanks, but that's not terribly useful. They obviously can't disclose medical info without consent, but what I'm getting at is they clearly have consent in certain circumstances.

What would have been useful is the CBA terms that discuss public disclosure of players medical information...

34.3 Medical Information. (a) Authorizations. Annually, in connection with the Player's Pre-Participation Medical Examination (pre-season and/or in-season), Player shall execute the "NHL/NHLPA Authorization Form for Health Care Providers to Release Health Information," the "NHL/NHLPA Concussion Program Authorization," and the "Authorization for Management and Release of Neuropsychological Test Results," each in the form as agreed upon from time to time by the NHL and the NHLPA (each an "Authorization" and collectively the "Authorizations")...

(c) Disclosure of Medical Information.
(i) Clubs, the League, and the NHLPA may use, disclose and redisclose a Player's Medical Information for the purposes set forth in this Section 34.3, the SPC, and the Authorizations as reasonably required for professional sports operations and related to the Player's employment as an NHL hockey Player (or, as appropriate, Players' employment as NHL hockey Players).
(ii) Except with respect to uses, disclosures and redisclosures of Medical Information that are permitted under the CBA, the SPC, and the Authorizations, the Clubs, the NHLPA and the League shall not use, disclose or redisclose any Medical Information relating to a Player (unless stripped of all individual Player-identifying information) without the express, prior, written consent of the Player or as required by law.
(iii) For public relations purposes a Club, the League, and/or the NHLPA may disclose the following information: (A) for injuries sustained during the course of a Player's employment as a hockey Player with the Club, including, but not limited to, travel with his team or on business requested by the Club: (I) the nature of a Player's injury, (II) the prognosis and the anticipated length of recovery from the injury, and (III) the treatment and surgical procedures undertaken or anticipated in regard to the injury; and (B) for any other medical and/or health condition that prevents a Player from rendering services to his Club: (I) the fact that a medical and/or health condition is preventing the Player from rendering services to the Club, and (II) the anticipated length of the Player's absence from the Club.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well, they usually only report because it affects whether they're in the lineup or not. And even then, they usually only report upper body injury, lower body injury, or illness. That's it.

Also, they don't report if a player gets the flu in the offseason, right? So why would they do it now?

Honestly, even if they could (it seems the CBA at best authorizes generic info in this case like "ilness, expected out 14 days" but even that's a stretch imo) , I suspect they would leave it to the player to decide. There isn't much value to the league to disclose right now.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Updated Saturday, March 21, 2020 3:29PM EDT
OTTAWA - The Ottawa Senators say another one of their players has tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total number of known NHL cases to two.
The team announced their second case in a statement Saturday, four days after announcing its first positive test result.
The team did not name the specific player but said he was among those who travelled with the Senators on their west-coast road trip that included games in San Jose, Anaheim and Los Angeles before the NHL postponed the rest of its season last week due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
“The Ottawa Senators' medical team is actively monitoring players and staff and following all appropriate and professional guidelines to help ensure the health and safety of our employees and the greater community,” the team said in the statement.
The team said 52 people, including players, staff, media, guests and flight crew, were on the trip and eight have been tested, with two positive results received.

Results have yet to come in for the other six, who were tested on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
The team said the other 44 people on the trip “have shown no symptoms,” but they have each been instructed to self-quarantine since March 14.

The Senators announced their first case on Tuesday - the first positive COVID-19 case among an NHL player. The team also did not identify that player but said at the time that he had mild symptoms and that he was in self-isolation.
“To be fully transparent with our fans, and stakeholders we will continue to provide periodic updates as appropriate, while maintaining the privacy of the individuals impacted,” the team said.

The coronavirus has caused havoc on the sports world, with leagues cancelling or postponing their seasons after the World Health Organization labelled the outbreak a pandemic on March 11.
Ottawa played in San Jose, Calif., against the Sharks on March 7 despite a recommendation by the county where SAP Center is located to not hold large public gatherings days earlier. It was one of three NHL games held in San Jose after the recommendation was made.

Ten NBA players are known to have tested positive for COVID-19, though only five of those have been publicly identified.

New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton announced this week he had also tested positive for the coronavirus, the first known case among the NFL.

The CFL's B.C. Lions announced late Friday that one of their football operations department staff members had also tested positive for COVID-19. The Lions did not release the name of that employee.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 21,

]

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Thanks, but that's not terribly useful. They obviously can't disclose medical info without consent, but what I'm getting at is they clearly have consent in certain circumstances.

What would have been useful is the CBA terms that discuss public disclosure of players medical information...

Not useful.... Seriously? It's the complete FAQ for Personal Health Information Privacy Act for Ontario.
At any rate, you answered your own question. Sometimes they obtain consent from the player.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Would be nice for some of the city's more known figures to step up and make a PSA to self isolated.
Throw in a fear for their teammates parents and children. Fact that they feel like shit.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Players likely contracted this virus during their western road trip. I doubt there was all that much action for Sens autographs in California. By the time they got back, the entire team was in isolation.

In other words, the likelihood of anyone in the Ottawa area getting the virus from a Sens player is exceptionally low.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Like the NBA it’s up to players to decide if they want to go public with their situations.

It could work for some families, and not so much for others. We can all imagine that coming out with something like that would require a family meeting.

I do like it when famous people come out and advocate for proper social behaviour in these times, but then there is that actress in Florida that just posted a bunch of stuff about how she’s ignoring the social distancing, and that the ‘flu’ is a hoax.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
As the news says, it is a man in his 30s. There aren’t many on the team that are in that category

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink
As the news says, it is a man in his 30s. There aren’t many on the team that are in that category

The man in his 30s is not necessarily a Sens player. The Sens player may not have been rolled into the local statistics yet, or may not even still be in Ottawa. The man in his 30s is described as a “close contact” transmission rather than a travel related transmission, and I’d expect the latter in the case of a team member in this circumstance. Of course it’s absolutely possible they’re one and the same. Just not certain I don’t think.

Reactions: coladin

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What really sucks about this is how it has put everyone on edge. People are frightened, for obvious reasons, so social media is an absolute cesspool of people fighting with each other, pitting those who are deeply worried/in full meltdown vs. those who feel that there is too much panic. (I find myself edging towards the latter camp, although I certainly understand where others are coming from, particularly those who are immune compromised or have loved ones who are.) The truth is that we are in uncharted territory. In looking at the data I think we are in somewhat better shape than some think, but of course I don't know that for sure, just like those predicting doom don't know that for sure either. It's such a tough time...

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
What really sucks about this is how it has put everyone on edge. People are frightened, for obvious reasons, so social media is an absolute cesspool of people fighting with each other, pitting those who are deeply worried/in full meltdown vs. those who feel that there is too much panic. (I find myself edging towards the latter camp, although I certainly understand where others are coming from, particularly those who are immune compromised or have loved ones who are.) The truth is that we are in uncharted territory. In looking at the data I think we are in somewhat better shape than some think, but of course I don't know that for sure, just like those predicting doom don't know that for sure either. It's such a tough time...
People need to have some faith and realise ,this isnt the end of days....I have fears as do many others,but hoarding and a me first attitude ..Isnt what will save anyone,have courage to help others ..And just by doing what is right ,we will beat this thing...

Reactions: Stylizer1

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The man in his 30s is not necessarily a Sens player. The Sens player may not have been rolled into the local statistics yet, or may not even still be in Ottawa. The man in his 30s is described as a “close contact” transmission rather than a travel related transmission, and I’d expect the latter in the case of a team member in this circumstance. Of course it’s absolutely possible they’re one and the same. Just not certain I don’t think.

True to all that. I know the last time OPH updated it was the Sens player (in his 20s). This time is a man in his 30s and maybe they are assuming it was from player 1?

Reactions: 5ive4Fighting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad