OT: CFL: Ottawa Redblacks

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We'll see if there is enough government money, and organization, to get a bubble arrangement done this week. I'm not hopeful, but I'd love to be surprised. The NHL, for instance, will end up sinking $50-$70 million into its bubble arrangements. I'm sure that the NBA's costs are similar. It's hard to see where the CFL comes up with the money, and in fact the people to make the arrangements, in order to pull the bubble together and make it work. My guess is that the season gets called later this week, with a focus on coming back strong in 2021. Like I say, though, I'd love to be wrong....

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Manitoba offering $$ to be a hub is interesting. Love to see Winnipeg and Regina do that. Short travel and low rates province wide. East/West

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
CFLs 30 mil loan request denied by the Government, and the season officially canceled.

Would be lying if I said I wasn't worried about the future of the league right now.

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
Not sure how money can get handed out left right and centre but 30 mil for the CFL is where they draw the line... it’s a Canadian institution

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Two years ago today. Seems like a heck of a lot longer than that...
5A314219-80D0-46BC-AD58-6444DED72E75.jpeg

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
League has a few months now to re-invent itself. They need to look to the opportunity and not dwell on the negatives. CFL is a great sport and entertainment.
Maybe its time to invent a true winter uniform and cleats, or figure out an inflatable cover for the outdoor stadia. Rotate customers through some kind of live/distanced area and another that offers online (with cameras close to the bench area for effect and players talk). Could we "rent" the camera in a specific seat with an experience built around it, including a (preset) virtual visit from a player or coach or cheerleader/lumberjack type during the game. Could a discreet head cam on the player helmet be included in the package, so the attendee could follow a player live for a quarter to see/feel the action from that pov.

Reactions: thinkwild

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
RedBlacks sign Nichols and release Arbuckle... not happy about the move but this seems to be all COVID related

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
I just listened to a 5 minute exchange between AJ and CJ on TSN1200, talking about the quarterback move

Nothing like seeing the J brothers do the backstroke. And trying not to drown.

OMG people...Money...That is it.

Marcel D. on the morning show must have set a new world record for the backstroke.. I am surprised he hasn't grown gills. And all the while JR is trying to prod him, yet realizing he has to defend OSEG.. It was like watching the Republicans deal with Trump. Condemning one moment, kissing ass the next.

Hey TSN..In a covid year, against the backdrop of poor financials that have hit the team the last 2-3 years. Why are you putting Desjardins in a bad spot...and why are you appearing to debate it with the J brothers???

I actually felt sorry for the J brothers..and more sorry for all the RedBlacks who have to explain...Heck, LaPolice is on now and it's ; stroke, stroke, breath, stroke, stroke, breath.

Marty Straka

HFBoards Senior Citizen
Aug 11, 2009
Toronto, ON
Someone is going to have to explain these moves because if its money related and signing bonus related... why did each respective team subsequently sign the 2 QBs to contracts with.... a signing bonus?

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
Someone is going to have to explain these moves because if its money related and signing bonus related... why did each respective team subsequently sign the 2 QBs to contracts with.... a signing bonus?

Great question. We effectively traded a 27 year old QB for a 34 year old one

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster

Had the Redblacks kept Arbuckle they would have had to pay him the bonus today. With Nichols it looks like he's only owed the bonus if the season is a go.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
My love for the CFL is nostalgic at this point. In the 80's and 90's I thought it was very competitive and exciting(when I was a lot younger). Getting The Rocket to come to Canada over the NFL was the height of the league in terms of popularity and play. Now Unless you are one o the top 2 teams everyone else is garbage. The biggest mistake that set the league back was expanding into the US. It was a bad move just poorly executed. They should have focused more on Cities near the Canadian border instead of having teams in the southern US. Also they should have started the season earlier to take advantage of no NFL on the schedule.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
So the CFL and XFL have entered talks on some sort of partnership.

That's unexpected.

Maybe it is time for the CFL to reinvent itself and open the doors to a North American market. If it is ultimately about creating a business model for survival and potentially profitable down the road, this is a viable option to explore. Hard core CFL fans will despise it but it is a business after all!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I have zero interest in watching any American team, keep it Canadian or else they will get swallowed & forgotten & become a farm team which could easily be moved. It's been a Canadian game for 100 yrs they just need to get by this yr & people will come back, but if it becomes Americanized I would guess the game will get changed & made worse & IMO be the death of Canadian football. Look at what the Americans have done to the world, they will do the same thing to the CFL, they could care less about CFL rules or traditions or even the teams & cities. They care about one thing & one thing only ... MONEY.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I would accept a few more US teams just to hear how terrible the renditions of Oh Canada would be.

Not really, those were dark days in CFL history.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
I definitely agree that Ambrosie has to be stepping lightly here. Going too far could be perceived as Americanization, which I do believe would alienate a lot of the CFL's core fans. If someone's hardcore into backing the CFL, it ain't because they want to watch the best football in the world - it's because they have a vested interest in what is essentially a local product.

I think inter-league co-operation could be a good thing, depending on how they go about it. An outright merger is something I doubt is really on the books.

And hey, better to work with The Rock heading the XFL than with Vinny Mac heading the XFL.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
The boys are back with a HUGE win!

Hoping Pruneau and Baltimore are ok.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad