OT: Ottawa REDBLACKS 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
It was conceivable that Calgary x 2 would be losses, however it was the manner of the losses, specifically last week, that was gross. Calgary in the regular season....you can expect a tough game. Thursday was as flat and poor a game as there has been in 4+ seasons of REDBLACKS football.

WEEK 6:

Thu: SSK (2-2) @ HAM (2-2)
Fri: BC (2-2) @ OTT (2-2)
Sat: WPG (2-3) @ TOR (1-3)
Sat: MTL (1-3) @ CGY (4-0)

Bye: EDM (3-2)

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I don't follow the CFL much, but I watched the game tonight (and glad I did!). Is there a problem with Harris' arm?

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I was really impressed with RJ Harris last night. He had a few plays where he created something from nothing.

And very impressed with the receiving core on the final drive

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I was really impressed with RJ Harris last night. He had a few plays where he created something from nothing.

And very impressed with the receiving core on the final drive

That one handed catch on a ball that was well behind him was absolutely epic on Ellingson's part. If he doesn't make that catch, we have to try a very long field goal to try to tie it...

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
So Manziel gets traded to Montreal for two first round picks, Chris Williams and Westerman..

Crazy return for the Ti Cats

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
For a guy off their negotiation list who cost them nothing to begin with? Yes, I'd say that's good asset management...

No argument, short and long term return was good for Hamilton. Montreal was desperate and I'm sure Manziel was at a point of "play me or trade me", which is understandable. I thought going into the season that Hamilton didn't handle this properly. They ended up getting a great return, but I maintain that I don't think it was healthy to have had both JMs break camp. I know Masoli had a bad game vs SSK, but I feel he had earned better than to have people semi-rooting for him to fail so Manziel could come in. Kudos to Hamilton; they basically waited until a team got desperate and was on the verge of being out of it by labour day (or sooner) and maximized a return.

Of course, if Masoli goes down or struggles for an extended period of time, this trade looks terrible for the TiCats.

It was some no-name guy that Hamilton send to Montreal the last time these two teams made a significant QB trade? ;)

Reactions: Larionov

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
WEEK 7:

Thu: EDM (3-2) @ MTL (1-4)
Fri: TOR (1-4) @ WPG (3-3)
Sat: OTT (3-2) @ HAM (2-3)
Sat: CGY (5-0) @ SSK (3-2)

BYE: B.C. (2-3)

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It was some no-name guy that Hamilton send to Montreal the last time these two teams made a significant QB trade? ;)

Yeah, Cal-something. ;-)

Everyone is dogpiling on Montreal for giving up too much, but this is such a QB-driven league that they had to do something. If you don't have a strong QB in today's game, nothing else matters. Montreal also needs to sell some tickets, and Johnny Football certainly does that. Getting him off the bench and playing is good for the league overall...

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Yeah, Cal-something. ;-)

Everyone is dogpiling on Montreal for giving up too much, but this is such a QB-driven league that they had to do something. If you don't have a strong QB in today's game, nothing else matters. Montreal also needs to sell some tickets, and Johnny Football certainly does that. Getting him off the bench and playing is good for the league overall...

I agree with some of that. It will sell tickets and it is good for the league. I’m certainly happy because I, personally, want to see Manziel play.

But they gave up a lottttt, with no guarantee that Manziel will even work out in the CFL. Many come and go in this league, it’s not as easy as they think it will be.

Montreal doesn’t have a first round pick for the next three years now. They also gave up Westerman who’s a stud, and Williams who was their only offensive threat.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Yeah, Cal-something. ;-)

When ESPN are doing segments on the CFL it's a good thing. Along with the Terrel Owens hype this just might be the most exposure the CFL has ever received in such a small amount of time.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Well, luckily for us the East is really bad this season. Like, really, really bad.

Ottawa is the only team above .500, and two teams (Toronto and Montreal) are 1-5. Hamilton seems to be the only competition.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Man this offense is hard to watch. Not sure what the biggest problem is the offensive coordinator or the QB but this is not working.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Man this offense is hard to watch. Not sure what the biggest problem is the offensive coordinator or the QB but this is not working.

Imo there's no threat to go deep. The defense can be super aggressive and play near the LOS without any fear of Harris being able to sling one over their heads.

Reactions: DrEasy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Imo there's no threat to go deep. The defense can be super aggressive and play near the LOS without any fear of Harris being able to sling one over their heads.

Every play is a 0 to 3 yard dump off. Second and long over and over again and they never try and throw it more than 2 yard its terrible.

Reactions: BigRig4

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Of course I take Redblacks by 4, and they straight up LET Hamilton score at the end. No surprise there.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Well, not the prettiest, but 4-2. It would be great to run away with the East this year. A little early, but we’re 4-0 against teams that aren’t the best in the league and we have those games out of the way.

Every play is a 0 to 3 yard dump off. Second and long over and over again and they never try and throw it more than 2 yard its terrible.

You’re right. I didn’t see the game today but even on 2nd and Long situations, Harris is chucking the ball to a receiver who has to run 20 yards to get a first down.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
Really tough to know what to make of the REDBLACKS so far....

Glass half full: One one hand, 4-2 is 4-2 and with Toronto and Montreal up next, there's an opportunity to open a gap in what looks like another weak East Division. The wins haven't been pretty for the most part, but there have been some signs of resiliency, especially the last two weeks ("3-minute drill executed by Harris FTW vs BC and some stingy defence and special teams vs Hamilton). Both losses have been to the 'regular season Stamps', who look like they're headed for another 14+ win season. The D looks like it's taking the habits of Thorpe's vision....

Glass half empty: A lot of inconsistency offensively, which is a bit confusing given the weapons on the field and the health they've had, so far. I'm waiting on Feoli-Gudino to get some more playing time because he was effective in Winnipeg last season. I guess he was out-performed early on this season, but still someone to watch. Not that SSK and BC are pushovers, but aside from the home opener, the wins have been an uncomfortably close win in Montreal, a late nail biter vs BC, and a 7-field goal edger in Hamilton. Elite teams tend to stomp on their opponents more than the REDBLACKS do and while I don't want to poo-poo on wins, it'd be nice to have a few dominant "wow, the REDBLACKS are a power" type wins. The team is good....and hopefully on their way to something bigger....

As long as they keep improving punching it in in the red zone more (along with health, obviously), the East should be winnable.....

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
WEEK 8:

Thu: OTT (4-2) @ TOR (1-5)
Thu: SSK (3-3) @ EDM (4-2)
Fri: HAM (2-4) @ MTL (1-5)
Sat: B.C. (2-3) @ CGY (6-0)

BYE: WPG (4-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad