OT: Ottawa REDBLACKS 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Yeah Maher off to a good start. Hadnt thought of that. Perhaps he still needs to establish himself on some longer ones first though, dont recall too many 50+ yarders. But also nice of the team maybe to not make him risk his record on that long one yesterday either, gives him some cachet if any nfl teams are looking.

I like the way the team is handling field goals.

Our defense for the most part this season has been solid. If it's a 45-50+ yard attempt, let's punt and pin them deep and let the defense do their thing. If it's within 45, bring out Ward and take a guaranteed 3 points.

Reactions: hawthy

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
With both Toronto and Montreal officially eliminated this weekend, the battles left to be determined are 1/2 in our division and the clusterf**k in the west. Barring something unexpected, Calgary looks to be firmly entrenched in #1 and the Riders look like they'll get to break in Mosaic for a playoff game on Nov. 11. From there, 1-win separates three teams, battling for two playoff spots. Currently, Grey Cup hosts Edmonton join Montreal and Toronto as the three teams not currently in a playoff position.

....and guess who the REDBLACKS draw for week 18........

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
WEEK 18

Fri: HAM (7-7) @ TOR (3-11)
Sat: SSK (10-5) @ WPG (8-7)
Sat: OTT (8-6) @ EDM (7-8)
Sat: B.C. (7-7) @ CGY (12-2)

BYE: MTL (3-12)

--------

East Division Race:

1. Ottawa (8-6): @ EDM, vs HAM, @ HAM, vs TOR
2. Hamilton (7-7): @ TOR, @ OTT, vs OTT, vs MTL
C. B.C. (7-7)

Reactions: DrEasy

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
With Ottawa and Hamilton both clinched for home playoff dates, here is the update on how the REDBLACKS can clinch first:

Ottawa is two games up heading into the home-and-home:

- One win vs. Hamilton
- Win week 21 vs Toronto + Hamilton gets upset by Montreal (should we drop both to Hamilton)

Ottawa is one game up heading into the home-and-home (status quo):

- One win vs. Hamilton

Ottawa and Hamilton are tied heading into the home-and-home:

- Two wins vs. Hamilton
- One win vs. Hamilton + win week 21 vs Toronto
- One win vs. Hamilton + Hamilton gets upset by Montreal

That's basically it. In a nutshell, though, if we match what Hamilton does this week, the REDBLACKS will have an opportunity to clinch the division with two games to play.

Last edited:

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
REDBLACKS acquire LB Chris Ackie from MTL in exchange for a second round pick. 26 years old, 6'2 Canadian LB who is in the middle of a breakout season with 81 defensive tackles, 2 interceptions (one to the house), and a forced fumble. He can also play special teams.

Steal of a trade, IMO. Great work for GMMD - Ackie will be a treat to watch in the red and black.

Reactions: Al14 and hawthy

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
With Ottawa and Hamilton both clinched for home playoff dates, here is the update on how the REDBLACKS can clinch first:

Ottawa is two games up heading into the home-and-home:

- One win vs. Hamilton
- Win week 21 vs Toronto + Hamilton gets upset by Montreal (should we drop both to Hamilton)

Ottawa is one game up heading into the home-and-home (status quo):

- One win vs. Hamilton

Ottawa and Hamilton are tied heading into the home-and-home:

- Two wins vs. Hamilton
- One win vs. Hamilton + win week 21 vs Toronto
- One win vs. Hamilton + Hamilton gets upset by Montreal

That's basically it. In a nutshell, though, if we match what Hamilton does this week, the REDBLACKS will have an opportunity to clinch the division with two games to play.

It seems like every season ends with a Hamilton home-and-home.

I'm hoping they can clinch and ASAP. The rest will be huge for nursing injuries/fatigue, especially given the fact we'll have an extra week during the crossover playoff week.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
It seems like every season ends with a Hamilton home-and-home.

I'm hoping they can clinch and ASAP. The rest will be huge for nursing injuries/fatigue, especially given the fact we'll have an extra week during the crossover playoff week.

Definitely by design. The CFL probably had aspirations that the Toronto-Montreal home-and-home would have some type of meaning, too. I get why they go heavy on divisional matchups late in the season when they mean the most, but the flip side is what we are going to see: meaningless games elsewhere. Like, I’m a huge CFL fan and will probably watch anyway, but if we had Toronto and Hamilton had Montreal home and home instead of the way it is, the interest level in both games is higher. Probably ratings, too.

Agreed on clinching: the sooner the better!

And monster signing. I actually hadn’t heard until I saw your post. On top of giving us uber ratio flexibility, especially when Pruneau comes back, the guy is one of the few bright spots in Montreal this year.

Desjardins is a phenomenal GM.

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
TiCats took care of their business last night. I’m seeing that Kevin Glenn might start for Edmonton today?!

Hoping for a big win today. Two wins in 6-days = East Final on Bank!

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Reilly getting a nice stable pocket while Trevor getting hurried and sacked. But some eskie turnovers, some good plays and good fortune and we get out of the 1st half with the lead. Gotta find a way to pull this one out, keep it goin

Reactions: Al14

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
I don't understand why they keep dropping Harris back in the pocket, like a sitting duck. They have more success when they get him rolling off the hop and get the defense spread thin. He's not mobile, at all, yet they keep him stationary so in the eventuality that a play breaks down, he can't escape.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Not in my opinion.

They could catch lightning in a bottle but we are too inconsistent on both sides of the ball to make a run at Cup.

Harris wont throw deep enough and the constant check-down game is hard to sustain.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
I know next to nothing about runball.

Do the Red Blacks have a shot at the championship?

Objectively, they do. The half-downer for the REDBLACKS is that it's gone from "it looks almost more than likely the REDBLACKS will play for a championship", to "we're one of 6-teams with an almost equal shot". I'll officially lump Calgary and all their injuries in here, too. Aside from Montreal and Toronto, if you fast forwarded to Nov. 26, you could tell me any of the other 7-teams won the Grey Cup and I wouldn't be floored. Maybe a bit more surprised from team-to-team, but not floored. The crazy thing about that, too, is that one of those seven teams will be joining Montreal and Toronto on the outside after week 21 (obviously one of those bottom 3 west teams). That's how close the league is.

Could I see Bo winning it for Calgary? Yep
Saskatchewan (minus this week lol) being a tough out with all their weapons? Yep.
Winnipeg seems to be getting hot at the right time. Yep.
B.C., though perhaps the longest shot, with a healthy Lulay (who has won before)? Yep.
Edmonton, the "worst" team in the west, but with (to me) the best quarterback in the league on their side? Yep
Ottawa, better than anyone when they're on, worse than anybody when they're off? Yep.
Hamilton and an upstart Jeramiah Masoli, with their offensive weapons? Yep.

The league has never been so "anything can happen" as it is now in a while, and this is already a league where anything can happen. We have a Grey Cup because "anything can happen".

So yes, of course the REDBLACKS can win. They are erratic enough to win or lose every game they play. I just had h igher hopes that it wouldn't have needed to come down to this to avoid playing on Nov. 11......

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
WEEK 19

Fri: HAM (8-7) @ OTT (8-7)
Fri: EDM (8-8) @ B.C. (8-7)
Sat: MTL (3-12) @ TOR (3-12)
Sat: SSK (10-6) @ CGY (12-3)

BYE: WPG (9-7)

--------

East Division Race:

1. Ottawa (8-7): vs HAM, @ HAM, vs TOR
2. Hamilton (8-7): @ OTT, vs OTT, vs MTL
C. B.C. (8-7)

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
Nothing more to be said about how things have to play out:

Ottawa beats Hamilton twice = Ottawa finishes 1st
Hamilton beats Ottawa twice = Hamilton finishes 1st
Ottawa/Hamilton split = division comes down to week 21, with the REDBLACKS in control of their destiny, needing either a Hamilton loss to Montreal, or their own victory over Toronto

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I thought the CFL reviewed all possible change of possession. That sure looked like a fumble by Banks when he held the ball up but wasn't touched yet there was no delay to check.

Last edited:

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Man, when this offense gets going, it’s insane. Sinoppoli, Ellington, Spencer. Powell. Harris. It’s crazy, man.

29-28 Redblacks

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
HUGE defensive play pushing the loose football out of bounds!

Ottawa football with a chance to add to our four point lead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->