OT: Ottawa REDBLACKS 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
The refs in this league are actually a joke. Ottawa just got an unnecessary roughness call for avoiding hitting the QB...

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Well, better execution on O and D.

Much better play selection on O too! Still needs to be better.

Last night, Harris showed he is the better backup QB to Collaros! ;)

To be considered elite, the RedBlacks need to be much better. Right now, they are just an average team.

MikeC62

Aug 31, 2018
Its amazing how much better a team can play when the O-line actually blocks someone, instead of imitating a turnstile like they did against BC

The refs in this league are actually a joke. Ottawa just got an unnecessary roughness call for avoiding hitting the QB...

Its that Al Bradbury. Every time I see him in an Ottawa game, I know we're gonna get screwed over several times

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
Next week should be a beauty of a game. Only home matinee of the season, family day game, two 7-5 teams meeting for the first time this season....hopefully we are blessed with the same home game weather we’ve gotten this season to date.

Anyone making a day of things next Saturday? Looking online, it seems like it’ll be packed. Far fewer tickets available than a normal outlook 6-days before a game for a typical Ottawa walk up city.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
WEEK 15

Fri: MTL (3-9) @ WPG (5-7)
Sat: EDM (7-5) @ OTT (7-5)
Sat: SSK (7-5) @ TOR (3-8)
Sat: HAM (6-6) @ B.C. (5-6)

BYE: CGY (10-2)

--------

East Division Race:

1. Ottawa (7-5): vs EDM, BYE, vs WPG, @ EDM, vs HAM, @ HAM, vs TOR
2. Hamilton (6-6): @ B.C., vs B.C., BYE, @ TOR, @ OTT, vs OTT, vs MTL
C. B.C.: (5-6)
--------
3. Toronto (3-8): vs SSK, @ CGY, @ B.C., vs HAM, vs MTL, @ MTL, @ OTT
4. Montreal (3-9): @ WPG, vs SSK, vs CGY, BYE, @ TOR, vs TOR, @ HAM

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
Some analysis heading into week 15:

- Toronto and Montreal are starting to run out of racetrack. Not that bad teams have easy games, but both see Calgary and Saskatchewan in the next 3-weeks....

- B.C. should be fascinating to watch down the stretch. Losing Lulay hurts, but collectively they have been rolling since their last bye of the season. They currently hold a crossover position if the playoffs were to start today. Equally interesting is their upcoming home-and-home with the Tabbies. Hopefully they stay hot.

- One team's season will probably end Friday night in Winnipeg. If the Als win (looks like Manziel will start), the faint hope stays alive there. Winnipeg is reeling, having dropped from 2nd to 5th in the west in the span of a month and losing at home to the Als could do them in. Conversely, the Bombers should be looking at this as a bounce back opportunity. The Als basically need to win out at this point.

- Saskatchewan should be hungry in Toronto, gunning for a home playoff game. Toronto, similar to the Als, needs to string together some wins now. Als/Argos meet twice in the last 3-weeks of the season, but if both don't pick up more wins than losses until then, it likely won't matter, anyway.

- REDBLACKS/Eskies is easily the game of the week heading into the weekend. Edmonton is battling Saskatchewan for 2nd, but only two wins separate a home playoff date and NO playoff date in the west, so a lot can change (as the Bombers have proven). For the REDBLACKS, without looking ahead too much, it's hard not to see where the east will likely be won with a home-and-home vs Hamilton in October. If we split those games at worst, we hold the tiebreaker thanks to the win in Hamilton earlier in the year, so Hamilton would need to finish ahead. If the REDBLACKS can stay one game ahead of Hamilton entering the home-and-home, chances are one win in those two games could win the east.

4 of our last 6 games are at home, so the opportunity is there. No easy games from here on out.

Last edited:

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I’m a little annoyed we lost the games to BC and Montreal, as those were games we should have won (going into them).

I’m not as confident as I was that the Redblacks win the East, but they’ve shown they can beat Hamilton, so let’s hope they take the home-and-homes.

Playoff position is almost certainly locked up, though, which is great.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
I’m a little annoyed we lost the games to BC and Montreal, as those were games we should have won (going into them).

I’m not as confident as I was that the Redblacks win the East, but they’ve shown they can beat Hamilton, so let’s hope they take the home-and-homes.

Playoff position is almost certainly locked up, though, which is great.

I feel you. When you factor in the blown game in Toronto and the sub-par efforts against Montreal and B.C., the thought of it is annoying. I'm a bit cautious with B.C. right now; they seem to be gelling and despite the Lulay injury, they may be hitting their stride.

No matter, I'll take our current position in mid-September. Seven other teams would, too. I'm probably causing a huge Argo winning streak when I say this, but the path to grab top spot is clear. Not easy, but identifiable....

- Four games up going into the home-and home with Hamilton: East clinched
- Three games up going into the home-and home with Hamilton: magic number is 1 between us and Hamilton to win the East
- One or two games up going into the home-and home with Hamilton: 1-win vs Hamilton would win the East
- Tied going into the home-and home with Hamilton: 2-wins vs Hamilton wins the East, 1-win and the division is determined week 21 controlling our own destiny, 2-losses gives Hamilton top spot

Obviously if we find ourselves behind Hamilton heading into the home-and-home, the path is tougher since we would either need to win both, or win 1 and get help in week 21.

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

MikeC62

Aug 31, 2018
Once again, the refs did their level best to take this win away from Ottawa. 3 TDs called back, what sort of joke is that? And then those two idiot commentators trying to say they took 2 TDs away from Edmonton? Umm, no. Harris knee was clearly down and then the other, Williams dropped the ball. Its not "taking a TD away" when the guy drops the ball.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Once again, the refs did their level best to take this win away from Ottawa. 3 TDs called back, what sort of joke is that? And then those two idiot commentators trying to say they took 2 TDs away from Edmonton? Umm, no. Harris knee was clearly down and then the other, Williams dropped the ball. Its not "taking a TD away" when the guy drops the ball.
I'm more concerned with the reviews out of Toronto. The clearly obvious grab of R.J. Harris' collar took an eternity when that should have been an easy call. The RB db Murray dive and knockdown of the ball in the end zone looked fine except on slow mo replay you could see that his chest seemed to hit the receiver in the back a fraction early as he dove. That was a much closer call yet Toronto ruled in mere seconds. As you said too Harris' (QB) knee was down on the called fumble and as the ref said pretty quickly too we have a "confirmed touchdown". They never say the word "confirmed" unless it's from the reviewer. The video then was shown that Harris' knee was clearly down and the fans grumbled so they hastily said the play was under review and reversed it. I wonder if that would have happened if the game was in EDM. Like I said before in previous games some of these Toronto reviews are getting suspicious. Might be time for the commissioner to look at this more closely. In the heat of the action refs can make mistakes and they usually balance out. Those review "errors" can easily decide games but they should not be happening.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
The REDBLACKS are such a riddle this year. Our defence is right up there, possibly the best unit at the moment. It remains concerning that the red zone offence can't seem to score consistently, but collectively, we controlled the game in all facets.

Big win, too, heading into our final bye week. Two games clear of second place Hamilton AND with the tie-breaker currently in our favour. As I said, as long as we can stay one game up on Hamilton through the next 3-weeks, one win vs Hamilton would wrap up the east. Should be a relaxing bye week, football wise, for REDBLACKS fans. Montreal can no longer catch Ottawa as well....

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
WEEK 16

Fri: TOR (3-9) @ CGY (10-2)
Sat: B.C. (6-6) @ HAM (6-7)
Sat: WPG (6-7) @ EDM (7-6)
Sun: SSK (8-5) @ MTL (3-10)

BYE: OTT (8-5)

--------

East Division Race:

1. Ottawa (8-5): BYE, vs WPG, @ EDM, vs HAM, @ HAM, vs TOR
2. Hamilton (6-7): vs B.C., BYE, @ TOR, @ OTT, vs OTT, vs MTL
C. B.C.: (6-6)
--------
3. Toronto (3-9): @ CGY, @ B.C., vs HAM, vs MTL, @ MTL, @ OTT
4. Montreal (3-10): vs SSK, vs CGY, BYE, @ TOR, vs TOR, @ HAM

Reactions: DrEasy

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
The REDBLACKS are such a riddle this year. Our defence is right up there, possibly the best unit at the moment. It remains concerning that the red zone offence can't seem to score consistently, but collectively, we controlled the game in all facets.

Big win, too, heading into our final bye week. Two games clear of second place Hamilton AND with the tie-breaker currently in our favour. As I said, as long as we can stay one game up on Hamilton through the next 3-weeks, one win vs Hamilton would wrap up the east. Should be a relaxing bye week, football wise, for REDBLACKS fans. Montreal can no longer catch Ottawa as well....

So,

Ottawa is one win + a win vs Hamilton away from clinching the East

Ottawa is a Toronto loss/Ottawa win away from clinching a playoff spot?

Reactions: hawthy

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
So,

Ottawa is one win + a win vs Hamilton away from clinching the East

Ottawa is a Toronto loss/Ottawa win away from clinching a playoff spot?

Any two Argo losses, REDBLACK wins or one of each clinches 2nd in the East (no clinching scenario for Ottawa this week).

And yes to the scenario of hosting the East Final.

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
Again, just looking at what-if scenarios....

With the REDBLACKS almost assured of a mid-to-late November game at Lansdowne, Toronto's only fading hope of a playoff spot may be to pass Hamilton. With the TiCats already holding the tie-breaker with Toronto by virtue of two head-to-head wins already, the Argos need to pass them. It's unlikely, but those last 3-4 games of the season may be less about winning the east for Hamilton as it might be holding off the Argos. Toronto still has Montreal TWICE, a game in hand AND a head-to head AT HOME vs Hamilton. They also have two road games out west beginning tonight in Calgary, so that's a thing, too....lol....

Imagine a hypothetical scenario in the final week of the season where Ottawa has the east wrapped up and rests their starters against......the Argos....with Hamilton and Toronto fighting for 2nd spot....

I don't see how it could be possible, but if Toronto can upset the Stamps tonight, Hamilton has two battles on their hands in the east!

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Not that it matters in the big picture, but Scott Cullen is an Ottawa hating idiot who consistently under ranks the RB's. (and Sens)

Same record as the Riders and coming off wins over the Esks and Riders, he still puts Ottawa behind Sask.

Reactions: MikeC62 and hawthy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->