OT: Ottawa REDBLACKS 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'll give the offense a pass for that Hamilton game. The wind was swirling like crazy, making if very difficult to throw the long ball. Hamilton's D was able to just sit on our short routes and our run game as a result. It's not like Masoli looked any better than Harris - in fact, he looked much worse.

My only watch out so far is Ellingson. He used to be a much more dynamic receiver. So far this year, I am just not seeing that guy who used to fight for all those 50/50 balls and usually get them.

Having said all that, the object is to win, and we have ground out some ugly, character wins in the last two weeks. Last year we would find a way to lose those ones - now we find a way to win...

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
It's still early, but the same concerns I had before the start of the season are the same concerns I have now.

It's a good thing our division is weak, we could easily be well below .500 the way we have played, especially the offence.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Having said all that, the object is to win, and we have ground out some ugly, character wins in the last two weeks. Last year we would find a way to lose those ones - now we find a way to win...

This is how I’m looking at the season so far.

Pretty much the same as last season, but the roles are reversed. Last season we’d probably be 1-5.

I’m confident things are only going to get better, too. Ellingson, Spencer, and Harris can all be better.

Really satisfied with the D this year. Way better pass rush, which was needed.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I'll give the offense a pass for that Hamilton game. The wind was swirling like crazy, making if very difficult to throw the long ball. Hamilton's D was able to just sit on our short routes and our run game as a result. It's not like Masoli looked any better than Harris - in fact, he looked much worse.

My only watch out so far is Ellingson. He used to be a much more dynamic receiver. So far this year, I am just not seeing that guy who used to fight for all those 50/50 balls and usually get them.

If the wind was swirling so badly we couldn't get the ball downfield, how did our kicker go 7 for 7?

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Harris severely lacks mobility, can't engineer a drive when they desperately need ball possession to waste the clock. I don't know if Harris is calling the plays but running plays or throwing long balls against a driving D line with a blitzing back or two when they should have been running screens is ridiculous. Spencer got a touchdown off a kick and had a couple of decent catches but those short 2nd down and long escape throws to him later in the game were really bad choices. One Spencer dropped and the other that hit the ground was on Harris who you could tell was trying to lob it rather than throw it. In either case they would have gone nowhere anyway. Those 3 yard plays with the receiver facing the QB are too well covered just wasted so the receiver might as well run further downfield to open up a hole for someone else. The only reason they exist is because Harris can't run and the defenses know it. Way too predictable.

And yes... that trip by Rogers on the receiver (the other Harris) really hurt and in the end cost the game.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Pathetic showing by the RedBlacks!

Defense sucks, offense too inconsistent!

No killer instinct whatsoever!

Beat by a QB in his 1st ever CFL start! Harris should take notice!

Last edited:

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
BTW) Versage was ok and more restrained today in the radio parts I heard on TSN1200 but I won't bother listening to whatever show Lee is hosting tomorrow. He'll be insufferable since he bet on Toronto to win! I had a feeling he might be right but totally not the way it happened. Yuck!

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
No excuses for this kind of loss to such a mediocre team. RBs ain't winning nothin' this season. Really disappointing.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
I won’t overreact here, but this game will be a turning point, for better or for worse. It’ll be interesting to see what they do with it.

Harris’ bandwidth is nearing capacity. He needs to show he’s a starter, now. His numbers are often great, but when the chips are down, he’s not established himself as “go-to”. He’s like the Patrick Lalime of Ottawa quarterbacks. I do think he’s playing with a bad leg, but it doesn’t matter, he hasn’t shown it when healthy so that’s not an all-encompassing excuse.

I still can’t believe they pissed that away, though. Not just Harris but across both sides of the ball, from the bench to the field, that second half was one of the worst I’ve ever seen from a REDBLACKS perspective.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
BTW) Versage was ok and more restrained today in the radio parts I heard on TSN1200 but I won't bother listening to whatever show Lee is hosting tomorrow. He'll be insufferable since he bet on Toronto to win! I had
a feeling he might be right but totally not the way it happened. Yuck!

A blind squirrel will find a nut once in a while. I cant listen to him I change the station immediately when he is on. He just says random stupid hot takes that have no logic behind it all day long. The argument that sent me running yesterday was the one about Lemon, i forget who was his co host maybe Bunda but he just wanted some logical argument or fact but he just kept going on about how Lemon is such a bad guy and how the replacement he knew nothing about was an upgrade.

The self destruction yesterday was something I have never seen though. Tripping your own players, terrible penalties, unnecessary attempt by Harris for a turnover then multiple drops. It was wild, its actually hard to lose when you are up by that much, literally every one of these things had to happen for them to lose and they made it happen.

I like to support the RedBlacks as its the only other professional sport we have but last nights games optics made the CFL look like a minor pro/semi pro league. No one in the stands and just terrible football. Cant wait for NFL to start.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Ottawa's play calling on that last drive was terrible. 2 passing plays when you are trying to run off the clock. 1 first down and the game would have been over.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
That loss had nothing to do with Harris, the offence put up over 40 pts. If there is a concern with the offence it's with the offensive coordinator who decided to go more conservative with the big lead. The QB always takes too much blame when a team loses & too much credit when a team wins, it's a team game & their defence let them down.

IMO it was the defence that fell apart & couldn't get to the QB, couldn't stop the pass & had a few penalties at the wrong times that kept drives going all in the second half of the game. The offence put up enough pts but the defence has to help stop some drives as well & play better. The team, mostly the defence, seemed to stop playing in the second half with such a big lead. This was not on the QB but on the defence.

Last edited:
Reactions: IamJust0ne
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad