Ottawa out of top 5, who will they pick?

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Mack Attack, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Mack Attack

Mack Attack Bears and Sens fan

It's a no brainer that Ottawa needs a top 6 forwards, who will be available, will they trade up? Best case scenario, Couturier falls to 6.
    "worst" case we take Strome.

2. Vatican Roulette

Vatican Roulette Baile de Los Locos

Home Page:
    Bout sums it up.

3. vippe

vippe Registered User

Seems about right... Are they going to try and move up? I heard they are sky high on Landeskog..

4. pld459666

pld459666 Registered User

Murray's face was not a pleasant one when he saw the Devils at #4.

Granted it's only one spot, but I'm sure he wasn't happy.

5. Hasbro

Hasbro Can He Skate?! Sponsor

Drone
    "Is anyone in the Top 5 going to trade down?" needs to be the question.

6. Mack Attack

Mack Attack Bears and Sens fan

Exactly and what would it take? Ottawa has Nashville's first and Chicago and Boston's second. Pack one of those with the 6th pick for top 3? New Jersey seems like it would be the most likely to trade down, as they will be a playoff team next year and really need a dmen which will still be available past the top 5 like Murphy.

7. Hasbro

Hasbro Can He Skate?! Sponsor

Drone
    Maybe Florida would trade down if Edmonton and Colorado go RNH-Landeskog and they would be content with any of Huberdeau, Cooter or Storme.

8. Minister of Offence

Minister of Offence Registered User

Home Page:
    They are. He was on Ottawa radio last night talking about the possibility of moving up to 3rd. I think he might really play ball with Tallon too.

Targets sound like Landeskog first and Strome second....could change, he's going to watch Strome live tonight he said.

9. Minister of Offence

Home Page:
    You've gotta be kidding me that Florida would be more likely to trade down if Larsson is still on the table vs Landeskog. We'd probably give you the same return for either, if Larsson's 1st on our list which it's been speculated all over the place, there's probably good reason for that. Our best scout over the past 3 years is now his coach, we've had eyes on him all year.

10. MoreGore

MoreGore Registered User

There is always the chance that Ottawa would do a Rundblad (type deal) or trade down too.

If you are happy with one of Huberdeau, Strome, Courtuier but a team below us has thier eyes on Dmen like Hamilton, Siemens, or Murphy, trading down makes sense.

I think there is a 50/50 chance the Sens will not be drafting at 6th.

Scenario
    Edmonton might like Larsson first, but decide to take the BPA RNH, trade with Ottawa and also get Hamilton.

What would Edmonton do to make this work? MPS? MPS+ or MPS-

11. benjiv1

benjiv1 Registered User

I posted this in the Ottawa forum, it's relative to the topic so I figured I would re-post here:

If you take a look at nhl.com, they have three "experts", who I assume are scouts of some sorts, mock drafts. The top 10 for each are as follows:

Morreale/Kimelman/Hoffner:

EDM- RNH/RNH/RNH
    COL- Landeskog/Landeskog/Landeskog
    FLA- Larsson/Couturier/Beaulieu
    NJ- Huberdeau/Larsson/Hamilton
    NYI-Hamilton/Hamilton/Larsson
    OTT- Couturier/Huberdeau/Huberdeau
    ATL- Zibanjad/Strome/Strome
    CBJ- Bealieu/Murphy/Couturier
    BOS- Murphy/Beaulieu/Baertschi
    MIN- Strome/Zibanjad/Murphy

Also, I dont think Huberdeau goes top 4. Since 2006 only 3 players from the Q have been drafted in the top 10. (Derick Brassard, James Shepherd and Jakub Voracek). In 2008 no players from the Q were drafted until the second round.

It's appears that teams are cautious about drafting from the QMJHL, because of the stigma of it being a 'lesser' league compared to the OHL and WHL.

Brassard had 114 pts (very similar to Huberdeau) his draft year and was taken 6th overall. (Where I'm hoping Huberdeau is taken )

12. Handlanger

Handlanger Registered User

Strome will be snitched by the New York Islanders. Sorry Ottawa - you can get whatever that's left on the table then. :yo:

13. Dr.Sens(e)

Dr.Sens(e) Registered User

Home Page:
    Murray is the only GM who has admitted that Ottawa has someone clearly #1 on their list. Sounds like Murray is very interested in moving up to get that specific player, and if he can't, he has also said they see "5-6 guys" that they like a lot, so they would be content to wait and take one of Strome, Huberdeau or possibly even Couturier, depending on how things shake up. It's also possible the Isles or Devils fall in love with Hamilton or Murphy and one of them go at #4 or #5. Doubt it, but possible.

Whether that "guy" is RNH, Larsson or Lando is the question. There are a lot of guesses out there. Sounds like Edmonton and Colorado won't be intereted in trading down, so if Ottawa's "guy" falls to #3 and Florida is willing to deal, Ottawa would offer something to move up.

I would hope the price is one of the 2nd rounders, but it will most likely be Ottawa's 2nd (31st overall). I would hope Ottawa wouldn't give up Nashville's 1st rounder, unless they finish in top 4 at that pick is in the 27-30 range.

14. Pancakes Pancakes

Pancakes Pancakes Registered User

Agree, to me it sounds like BM really thinks the Oilers will be targetting Larsson and then after that he really like one of Landeskog or RNH and if the right one is still there at #3 he will make a big push to get that pick.

15. BigEyedPhish

BigEyedPhish Registered User

Arms Dealer
    I have no doubt in my mind Murray is going try to atleast trade up.

We are not going to be in the bottom 6 next year, and have a crap ton of picks in this years draft (5 just in the first 2 rounds). I see nothing wrong with trading to move up.

Lou is a good drafting GM who is not used to being this high. If Lou goes after a young PMD at the draft I can totally see him trading down

I could also see Ottawa trading the 6th round pick + for a young top 6 forward. If they fail to trade up.

Either way I think it will be a VERY interesting and an especially important draft for Ottawa.

16. willy29

willy29 Registered User

Ottawa takes Couturier or Strome...whichever is still available at #6

17. Minister of Offence

Home Page:
    Strome's gonna go 4th to the Islanders? How do you know that?

If he does, someone will fall....no big deal. The only reason we pick this high is because Spezza went down for a month and a half anyways.

18. Bjindaho

Bjindaho Registered User

James Shephard`s high for points was 81 (and it was his 18 year old season). Voracek and Brassard were very good but neither was as good as Huberdeau in their eligible years (though Voracek didn`t have a lot of help). Also, the Q`s history is littered with guys that raked on the PP in junior and were drafted high because of it (ignoring their 5 on 5 stats). Huberdeau only had 30 PP points. OTH, Couturier had 33 points in less games (more than a third of his total points versus 30 of 105 which is 28 percent).

19. Bjindaho

Bjindaho Registered User

If Ottawa stands pat, they have an easy choice.

Larsson, Landeskog, RNH will all be off the board.

One or two of Huberdeau/Couturier/Strome will be too (barring incredible stupidity at which point Ottawa should try to trade up with their 2nd pick and get two of these guys).

20. SuperSaiyanBeastmode

SuperSaiyanBeastmode Registered User

I think they should pick couturier or huberdeau because I truly think strome doesn't have top line upside, of course if they can trade up for landeskog, they should do it. It really depends on every one else though. Everyone has two or three guys on their board imo, and anyone(even lando)can slip.

21. PlayMakers

PlayMakers Moderator

Real Estate Developer
    Why not Zibanejad? Speed, power, size, snarl, finesse...

He was ranked #9 last night and could be higher after the U-18's are over.

I assume RNH/Lando/Lars/Cooter/Ham will all be gone when Ottawa steps up. So you can't go wrong with Huberdeau, Strome or Zibanejad. He just seems like he'd be a great fit with Karlsson, Rundblad, Silvferberg and Lehner... and Alfredsson there as mentor.

22. SpezDispenser

SpezDispenser Registered User

Home Page:
    Please do. I'd rather Couturier or Huberdeau.

23. SpezDispenser

SpezDispenser Registered User

Home Page:
    If we get lucky and get one of Couturier or Huberdeau, I wonder if there's a possibility to trade the Nashville pick + Ottawa's 2nd round pick to get that pick and select Zib?

24. trentmccleary

trentmccleary Registered User

Home Page:
    No doubt that has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that those are the two highest rated forwards playing in the province that the team is based in and our internet insiders are reliant on car rides... from their moms.

25. puckfan13

puckfan13 Registered User

Maybe it's just me, but there doesn't seem like there's a lot of decision-making to be made at this spot in the draft unless BM intends on moving up.

Whoever is left of Hamilton, Huberdeau or Couturier would all fit in great in Ottawa going forward. Huberdeau as a guy to ride shotgun with Spezza, Couturier to solidfy that #2 centre spot going forward or Hamilton to be a gigantic, smooth skating minute-muncher on the back end. I wouldn't really be that angry if I were an Ottawa fan right now. But maybe Murray really likes Landeskog and sees him as Alfie's heir apparent.

Murray is really good at drafting/with prospects anyways. Lupul in 2002, Getzlaf/Perry in 2003, Smid in a crappy draft in 2004 and then Cowen, Karlsson, Rundblad lately. Even back to his Florida days, I bet he has had maybe 1 or 2 first-rounders that didn't make an NHL impact.