Proposal: Ottawa moves up

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
I would rather keep Benning as he is cheaper and better, and although Gagner is over priced, he is a good guy in the room and he showed some offensive flashes, whereas Chlapik has done nadda at the NHL level.
Just wondering, Sens are obviously re-building and are prepared to take picks which won’t be in the NHL for another 3 years. Oilers have McDavid (frustrated to be missing the playoffs) and Drai, so likely aren’t going to a re-build that they have to wait 3 years for picks to be ready.

Oilers are also up against the cap, if you don’t get rid of your bad contracts so you can bring in producing players, how are you going to get better? Just can’t see how you keep your picks and improve in the short term without getting rid of bad contracts.

OnanTheBarbarian

May 20, 2018
Just wondering, Sens are obviously re-building and are prepared to take picks which won’t be in the NHL for another 3 years. Oilers have McDavid (frustrated to be missing the playoffs) and Drai, so likely aren’t going to a re-build that they have to wait 3 years for picks to be ready.

Oilers are also up against the cap, if you don’t get rid of your bad contracts so you can bring in producing players, how are you going to get better? Just can’t see how you keep your picks and improve in the short term without getting rid of bad contracts.
Benning has one more year at a tolerable cap hit, his is not a problematic contract, Gagner I would move, but would not pay a premium to do so, as just like Benning his contract is up next year. So if the oilers have to trade away all of their assets just to get cap space, where does that leave them? with no tradeable assets and more holes in their roster. The best way I can see is improving our roster (outside of winning a trade for once!), is to draft smart and develop, we have guys coming down the pipe that are looking good, and this year is another chance to stock the cupboards, not a great time to decimate our prospect pool just to have a couple million in wiggle room.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
Benning has one more year at a tolerable cap hit, his is not a problematic contract, Gagner I would move, but would not pay a premium to do so, as just like Benning his contract is up next year. So if the oilers have to trade away all of their assets just to get cap space, where does that leave them? with no tradeable assets and more holes in their roster. The best way I can see is improving our roster (outside of winning a trade for once!), is to draft smart and develop, we have guys coming down the pipe that are looking good, and this year is another chance to stock the cupboards, not a great time to decimate our prospect pool just to have a couple million in wiggle room.
Fair enough, from the outside looking in I thought Oilers had to do something significant to appease McDavid and fans in the short term. Didn’t think “you have to be patient” was going to cut it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->