Proposal: Ottawa moves up

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
Not interested in moving up in the slightest, especially for substantial picks and/or prospects.

More than happy with where we are, we’ll end up top 5 next season anyway no doubt :laugh:
Ottawa’s excess cap space is an asset that will disappear over the next few years, why not get something for it? Kind of like knowing you have a UFA who won’t sign and you don’t trade him at the TDL.

OnanTheBarbarian

May 20, 2018
To Ottawa: 8th overall, Sekera ($800,000 retained)
To Edmonton: Batherson, columbus’s 1st rnd pick

Reggie is still a serviceable d-man, whose salary will help Ottawa get to the cap floor and be a mentor to their up and coming d-men. Ottawa gets what will surely be another blue chip prospect.
Oilers shed some cap, can still snag some young gun, or pair Columbus’s first with their own second rounder to move back up the draft, and they get a promising young right shot forward.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019

Reggie is still a serviceable d-man, whose salary will help Ottawa get to the cap floor and be a mentor to their up and coming d-men. Ottawa gets what will surely be another blue chip prospect.
Oilers shed some cap, can still snag some young gun, or pair Columbus’s first with their own second rounder to move back up the draft, and they get a promising young right shot forward.
To Edmonton Ceci + Chlapik + 19 OA
To Ottawa Benning + Gagner + 8 OA

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Phoenix have a cap of $73 million next year and have to sign Crouse, Panik, Cousins. Phoenix may also look to UFA market this year to help get them into the playoffs. Hossa is on the books at $5.275 million for 19/20, 20/21.

Ottawa takes Hossa and 14OA Phoenix takes 19 OA

To be clear, Arizona likes the Hossa contract, probably for the same reason the Sens owner would like it. Insurance covers most of the actual cash commitment, while the the cap hit is larger, which allows the team to technically spend less to get to the cap floor. Not that they wouldn't trade the contract, but it has trade value to AZ rather than being seen as a detriment.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
To be clear, Arizona likes the Hossa contract, probably for the same reason the Sens owner would like it. Insurance covers most of the actual cash commitment, while the the cap hit is larger, which allows the team to technically spend less to get to the cap floor. Not that they wouldn't trade the contract, but it has trade value to AZ rather than being seen as a detriment.
The trade is premised on Arizona needing cap space to re-sign 3 pieces and potentially picking up a UFA to get them into the playoffs. Ottawa doesn’t need a cap dump to hit the floor.

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009

Way off base there. Batherson is a very good prospect. He doesn't have 8OA value but is on par or more than the CBJ 1st. Sekera is on a way lower tier of value than anything else.

Maybe Chlapik instead.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Nah, we're not moving Batherson. Kid is on the same developmental path as Mark Stone.

Reactions: Karlstrobe

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario

I don’t know if I’d move Batherson for 8 straight up, definitely wouldn’t move Batherson and columbus’ first for 8th and no chance in hell I’d move Batherson and our 1st for 8th and a cap dump.

Reactions: Karlstrobe

OnanTheBarbarian

May 20, 2018
To Edmonton Ceci + Chlapik + 19 OA
To Ottawa Benning + Gagner + 8 OA
I would rather keep Benning as he is cheaper and better, and although Gagner is over priced, he is a good guy in the room and he showed some offensive flashes, whereas Chlapik has done nadda at the NHL level.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Were not trade those guys to drop down, we can flip them without doing that

Were keeping reggie and gagner

Benning will be easy to trade might be able to get a 3rd or bump our 3rd pick into the second

Russel there will be teams that will inquire and he'll be moved

The deal i think

Edm
19 overall
$500k AAV RETENTION LUCIC

Ottawa
8th overall
$2.5 AAV RETENTION LUCIC for 4 years

3rd team
Milan lucic at $3.0 AAV
2nd round pick from ottawa
Matt benning or 3rd round pick from edmonton
(Lucic has to agree to waive NMC IN two years, and plays for seattle in their first year)

Lucic plays for 3rd team for a couple of seasons and leaves for seattle, with how they playoffs played out some east teams will be interested if its a $3.0 AAV and will be there for a short time

Ottawa only give up a second round pick and move up 11 spots and

add cap which they need to do anyway

As for the real money part i know Eugene Melnyk is cheap but there going to be the lowest spending team in the league, that extra wont be to big of a deal

Oilers aren't getting another 1st round pick in ANY deal including Lucic

And GL having a team taking Benning for anything less than a 2nd round pick too.

Funny EDM fans thinking other teams will help them carry their garbage for them, AND gettign somthing valuable out of it.

OnanTheBarbarian

May 20, 2018

And GL having a team taking Benning for anything less than a 2nd round pick too.

Funny EDM fans thinking other teams will help them carry their garbage for them, AND gettign somthing valuable out of it.
I would not pay a team to take Benning, he has holes in his game, but he is not a cap dump, he imho has value

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
We dont have enough money to have hot water in the bathrooms in our arena,so we likely dont have money to take cap dumps

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Were not trade those guys to drop down, we can flip them without doing that

Were keeping reggie and gagner

Benning will be easy to trade might be able to get a 3rd or bump our 3rd pick into the second

Russel there will be teams that will inquire and he'll be moved

The deal i think

Edm
19 overall
$500k AAV RETENTION LUCIC

Ottawa
8th overall
$2.5 AAV RETENTION LUCIC for 4 years

3rd team
Milan lucic at $3.0 AAV
2nd round pick from ottawa
Matt benning or 3rd round pick from edmonton
(Lucic has to agree to waive NMC IN two years, and plays for seattle in their first year)

Lucic plays for 3rd team for a couple of seasons and leaves for seattle, with how they playoffs played out some east teams will be interested if its a $3.0 AAV and will be there for a short time

Ottawa only give up a second round pick and move up 11 spots and

add cap which they need to do anyway

As for the real money part i know Eugene Melnyk is cheap but there going to be the lowest spending team in the league, that extra wont be to big of a deal

So much is wrong with this posting . 1 no team , I repeat no team is taking 3 million cap hit on Lucic for f***ing Benning and a 2nd . So that take team 3 out . You can not have a player agree to doing something in the future . He either waives his NMC or he doesn't . Last what makes you think Seattle even would take him . His play fall of a cliff like a rocking so he could be useless in 2 more years . Heck he almost there now .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

You have issue stating stuff that is not true . 1st of all no logical Oiler fan wants to move the 8th and Lucic . Now the logic that you fail to understand . UFA are overpaid all the time . You are not getting a deal . Therefore Lucic + 8th OA >>>>>>>>> then the 6 million to spend on a UFA . Look at everyone that was signed the year Lucic signed with Edmonton . All of the top forwards got 6 million all of the teams that signed them want to move on from them . This logic might work if Edmonton had the assets to trade for young NHLers but with no assets the 6 million in cap space means you are spending it back on an overpaid UFA . We have better option to create cap space . 1 buy out Russell or Sekera or both . Increase in cap already gives us about 5 million to spend after all our UFA are resigned and we sign a goalie . a couple of Oiler fans may post trades that are far from fair but you are painting an entire fan base with your statement . I am sure I can find post by your fan base what are shit as well

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
You have issue stating stuff that is not true . 1st of all no logical Oiler fan wants to move the 8th and Lucic . Now the logic that you fail to understand . UFA are overpaid all the time . You are not getting a deal . Therefore Lucic + 8th OA >>>>>>>>> then the 6 million to spend on a UFA . Look at everyone that was signed the year Lucic signed with Edmonton . All of the top forwards got 6 million all of the teams that signed them want to move on from them . This logic might work if Edmonton had the assets to trade for young NHLers but with no assets the 6 million in cap space means you are spending it back on an overpaid UFA . We have better option to create cap space . 1 buy out Russell or Sekera or both . Increase in cap already gives us about 5 million to spend after all our UFA are resigned and we sign a goalie . a couple of Oiler fans may post trades that are far from fair but you are painting an entire fan base with your statement . I am sure I can find post by your fan base what are **** as well

2 things here
1- Not ALL of these signed UFA come w/ buyout proof contract AND NMC's
2- Not ALL of these UFA suc* as much as Lucic has been in the past 2 years. They are overpaid, but they are, at least, still NHL players.

You seem to forget Lucic will need protection come the Seattle expansion draft.

Bringing in UFAs (who are goign to ask for NMC'S also because they woN't like the idea of being sent ou to Seattle), will just make sure the Oilers lose one of their young playrs like Yamamoto, Benson etc.. for Nothing

PLEASE, keep him, i'll enjoy watching your team losing yet another young player for nothing!

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
The value beings discussed here for moving up to 14oa is in the right ballpark, but Ottawa only does this if there is someone still on the board at 14 they really really want.

Regarding the Luongo deal being discussed m, Ottawa could send back Condon (1 year, $3m salary with $2.4m cap hit) or Boedker (1 year, $4m) to balance out the actual dollars.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Benning you can trade
Russel needs to go but wont agree to go to ottawa
Sekera makes alot but hes good and helps our team keeping him

Gagner there keeping unless the really are in a cap crunch

The pecking order is lucic, russel, manning first then we go from their after

I was just pointing out contract that are, let's say, less than ideal in addition to Lucic. I think the list I gave are a lot easier for Edmonton to get out of too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad