Proposal: Ottawa moves up

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
If Columbus doesn't beat Toronto/Boston in the next round and ends up in the 19th spot:

Ottawa: 2019 1st (19th), Florida's 2nd (44th), Filip Chaplik or Nick Paul

Arizona, Florida or Phoenix: 2019 1st (14th, 13th, 12th)

Ottawa drafts Newhook

Does that sound like a reasonable compensation to move up to 12th, 13th or 14th?

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
It's not insane to believe in it happening. I don't know how good Paul or Chlapik are.

Also, didnt know that Phoenix was back in the league

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
What about something around Luongo?

If he is retiring OTT takes his LTIRetirment cap hit to move up from 19 to 13.

If he is not retiring, they pull an Orpik with OTT buying out Luongo and then Luongo re-signing a six figure deal with FLA that compensates him for the 1/3rd loss of salary. Saves FLA well over 2 million in cap and costs Ottawa only about 2M in real money spread over 6 years.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
It's not insane to believe in it happening. I don't know how good Paul or Chlapik are.

Also, didnt know that Phoenix was back in the league

Chlapik is a lot more valuable than Paul, but neither are big pieces.

Chlapik is a B or C prospect. Projects to be a 3rd line C in the NHL but is not a sure thing. Next year should be big in determining his long term future.

Paul is a 4th liner at best who has shown he can score in the AHL level but has never stuck in the NHL. If the Sens can get a late pick for Paul, that'd be good value for Ottawa. He is basically a throw in.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

If he is not retiring, they pull an Orpik with OTT buying out Luongo and then Luongo re-signing a six figure deal with FLA that compensates him for the 1/3rd loss of salary. Saves FLA well over 2 million in cap and costs Ottawa only about 2M in real money spread over 6 years.

Great analysis, it only works if EM is not so cheap. There is no chance agreeing to a buyout if this involves real money.

Reactions: bert

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Great analysis, it only works if EM is not so cheap. There is no chance agreeing to a buyout if this involves real money.

It is 400k in real cash for 6 seasons.

Capfriendly claims Luongo's buyout cap hit is 4M. I am not sure if that is his real buyout cap hit or his cap recapture hit baked in. Regardless, OTT would be spending 400k on at least somewhere around 1.3M of cap for the next few years. So it helps Melnyk spend below the cap while getting him a better ELC player at 13.

In a perfect world, the Sens could monkey branch from 13 to another higher pick by taking on a second insured or low salary/high cap LTIRetirement contract.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
If Columbus doesn't beat Toronto/Boston in the next round and ends up in the 19th spot:

Ottawa: 2019 1st (19th), Florida's 2nd (44th), Filip Chaplik or Nick Paul

Arizona, Florida or Phoenix: 2019 1st (14th, 13th, 12th)

Ottawa drafts Newhook

Does that sound like a reasonable compensation to move up to 12th, 13th or 14th?

Tbh I wouldn't be too surprised if Newhook fell to 19. Not sure it would be likely but also not unlikely if that makes sense. I'm not sure why you're so high on Newhook but that seems like an overpayment from Ott.

The only reason you would really move up that high is to take your pick of the Dmen that will be going there or of Caufield drops imo. This is a pretty unstable draft so anything can really happen but that seems too high for him.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
It is 400k in real cash for 6 seasons.

Capfriendly claims Luongo's buyout cap hit is 4M. I am not sure if that is his real buyout cap hit or his cap recapture hit baked in. Regardless, OTT would be spending 400k on at least somewhere around 1.3M of cap for the next few years. So it helps Melnyk spend below the cap while getting him a better ELC player at 13.

In a perfect world, the Sens could monkey branch from 13 to another higher pick by taking on a second insured or low salary/high cap LTIRetirement contract.

Sens had to fight to have a 40% retention at the Trade Deadline for Brassard to PIT and needed 3rd party LVK to complete the deal due to the PENS cap problems. I believe it was approx. $100K. There is no chance EM is will to accept 4X this amount.

Reactions: topshelf15

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway

OMG! Ottawa got a new owner?! Comgrats to all Sens fans!

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Tbh I wouldn't be too surprised if Newhook fell to 19. Not sure it would be likely but also not unlikely if that makes sense. I'm not sure why you're so high on Newhook but that seems like an overpayment from Ott.

The only reason you would really move up that high is to take your pick of the Dmen that will be going there or of Caufield drops imo. This is a pretty unstable draft so anything can really happen but that seems too high for him.

at the late teens, that will be great value.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Sens had to fight to have a 40% retention at the Trade Deadline for Brassard to PIT and needed 3rd party LVK to complete the deal due to the PENS cap problems. I believe it was approx. $100K. There is no chance EM is will to accept 4X this amount.

You might be right, but they've gone on record very recently that taking cap dumps is part of their strategy. It's very rare for their to be a 0 money cap dump like a Datsyuk or Tim Thomas.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
You might be right, but they've gone on record very recently that taking cap dumps is part of their strategy. It's very rare for their to be a 0 money cap dump like a Datsyuk or Tim Thomas.

Sens only positive is their incredible drafting and player development program, but with the terribly cheap owner...any good player will leave and cycle repeats.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
but realistically then the idea of moving up is a farceful wish.

I wasn’t the one proposing to move up to the 8th pick. I honestly don’t know what the cost would be. If it did cost one of those guys, I wouldn’t do it. Staying at 19 is ok.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I wasn’t the one proposing to move up to the 8th pick. I honestly don’t know what the cost would be. If it did cost one of those guys, I wouldn’t do it. Staying at 19 is ok.
the idea of moving up, esp on these boards, no one is untouchable.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
the idea of moving up, esp on these boards, no one is untouchable.

Disagree. Respectfully of course, but I have no interest in trading any of those guys for the 8th pick.

Ottawa’s first, plus both their seconds in this draft for number 8 is something I would absolutely consider, but I don’t know if Edmonton would.

93oilerfan93

Apr 2, 2018
Disagree. Respectfully of course, but I have no interest in trading any of those guys for the 8th pick.

Ottawa’s first, plus both their seconds in this draft for number 8 is something I would absolutely consider, but I don’t know if Edmonton would.
Depends on the price. We aren’t moving Chabot, Tkachuk or Brannstrom though.
Of course, the oilers wouldn't ask as they know what ottawa response would be

I was thinking along the lines of a salary dump

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->