Ottawa Looks Forward to Entry Draft; Senators seek top five pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Ottawa (CP) -

The Ottawa Senators fresh off their recent HFNHL Championship win, are gearing up for the 2004 HFNHL Entry Draft.

The Senators did have three first round picks at 9, 11 and 30. With an aging roster and depleted farm system, it seems like the three picks would go a long way to restocking the Senators for the future. However, it seems like the GM Fernandes has already pulled the trigger on a deal. The 9th overall pick has apparently been dealt to a Western Conference team.

"I can't really say much about the deal at this point. We'll wait for the HFNHL head offices to approve the deal and then talk specifics. I will say that we are very pleased with the return and the player or players will have an immediate impact, unlike a draft pick. It's very hard to guage the value of picks in this year's draft. I know that, the scouting staff and myself both concluded that at 9, the player or players we received in the trade would be more beneficial both now and in the long run." said GM Fernandes

It appears however, that the Senators scouting staff and the GM are not on the same page exactly.

"They traded the 9th ? When ? #####ing Fernandes and his trigger finger. Doesn't even bother to consult us, when making a trade. What an ***. We have or HAD a definite strategy with our three picks and now that is shot straight to hell. There were some players available in that range that we were very, very high on. That Krispy Kreme eating *******." grumbled one scout, who would not give his name.

It appears that GM Fernandes is not done dealing.

"We are VERY INTERESTED in accquring a top five pick, as there are two players who we think very highly of. We do have the #11 to play with, plus some extra lower round picks and prospects. Hopefully we can make a deal to move up, otherwise, we're comfortable picking at 11."

It also seems that the Senators have unearthed some possible gems when it comes to players off the radar. Fernandes declined comment on what direction the Senators would take with their latter round picks.

All in all, looks to be an interesting draft day for Ottawa and their fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino