OT: Ottawa Fury FC Thread Part II

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I'm fine with the decision to stay with the USL (for now). I want the CPL to take off but it barely exists outside of on paper today. If they weren't going to be allowed to keep all their current contracts, then why would you risk what you've built up for a very uncertain league. I'm expecting that the CPL is going to over-promise and under-deliver, at least in the short term.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
I think some of the key elements in the Fury's decision is that the league is what 8 months away from starting, and none of this (broadcasting, travel, players budgets, coaches budgets, players dispersal) have been sorted out. The Fury i'm sure were given a deadline by the USL and if the CPL have'nt sorted the above then they had no choice but to stick with the USL.
On the Ottawa Fury discussion page i posted what i called a Homophobic Slur pack maths of how much it would cost to operate a team in the CPL. so will repeat it here.
if there were 8 teams, that would mean you play the other 7 teams twice for a 14 game schedule (that doesn't make sense) so you play them 4 times 2 home 2 away for a 28 game schedule. Now I have seen some ridiculous statements like 10-15000 per game, tv contracts, transportation contracts, etc well I think maybe 5000 might be a average, Hamilton, Winnipeg might be higher, some teams wont even be playing in 5000 seat stadiums, but say 5000 at a average of $20.00 a ticket, so that's 1 million dollars maybe another $100000 merchandise and concessions, so 1.1 million dollars to work on. also I have seen ridiculous salaries suggested all players over $50,000. So 50,000 x 24 players = $1.2 million, uh oh already over budget, now you need maybe 3 coaches, a couple of trainers, so say $200,000 for staff. Now you may have to pay rent on the stadium, $100000, local radio contract $50,000, oh and what about the biggie travel, Halifax and Victoria to travel right across the country twice and half the country to the other 5 teams. They take 18 players and 5 officials so 23 people, not sure what the cost would be but say 1000 coast to coast and 500 to the others, so quickly roughly 120000 plus accommodation, meals etc. say $200,000 all together, so in total roughly $1.75 to operate and i'm sure there are lots of other costs like refs, security. The biggest expense is the players salaries if you put a cap of $500,000 that means the players would be paid approx., $21,000, out of that they have to pay taxes, rent, food, etc. who in their right mind would sign for this amount. So as I said from the getgo I just cant see it working I wish it would but without teams in Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver and Ottawa I cant see it working.
One other thing that bugs me about the CPL is the team names Cavalry FC, FC Edmonton, Forge FC, HFX Wanderers FC, Pacific FC, Valeur FC, York 9 FC. only 2 of those really indicate where they are located, in nearly all sports the team name indicates in which city they are located in.

Reactions: Inkling

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
I'm glad the Fury stuck to the USL. While I want a Canadian soccer league I can say I with confidence I'd prefer one more similar to the MLS in comparison to the primer league.
I have no interest in the club-based structure or promotion/relegation. That can stay in Europe.

It's nice to be able to play prospects from the Impact.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Well he goes back to Montreal Impact, and it will be their decision of whether they resign him, if they do it is possible that he could be loaned back to Ottawa, but i doubt they would, they may loan him to someone else as the chances he stays with Montreal are slim as they already have at least 2 better or more senior goalies than him. If they release him i am sure he will have no trouble getting a job whether with a MLS team or another USL team, who will pay him alot more than the Fury can afford.

Reactions: Inkling

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
the CanPL better not be behind this act of subterfuge.

They already started on the wrong foot when it becomes to league structure and team branding. No, I don't want to watch the Fury play 8 different FCs.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
So why haven’t they asked the 3 Canadian teams in the MLS to leave?

What leg does CONCACAF have to stand on legally?

I guess since Ottawa is the only Canadian team in the USL and there is a Canadian league starting up next season, there is no need for them to play there any longer. MLS is at the top of the pyramid - a clear step above both the CSL and USL. As such, none of the 3 Canadian teams will be asked to leave given there is no viable alternative at that level.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I guess since Ottawa is the only Canadian team in the USL and there is a Canadian league starting up next season, there is no need for them to play there any longer. MLS is at the top of the pyramid - a clear step above both the CSL and USL. As such, none of the 3 Canadian teams will be asked to leave given there is no viable alternative at that level.
USL is a clear step above the CSL.

Reactions: Bean Drown

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
The fact that the Fury have enjoyed the community success, relatively speaking, that they have is a testament to the fan support. This would be, what, the third different league they’ve been a part of since becoming pro? Huge miscalculation by CONCACAF; they should be trying to stabilize a budding market, not rock the boat....

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa

What if we don't want to watch a lower quality league? What if we don't want to support relegation? What if Ottawa soccer fans prefer being on the second tier of the pyramid?

I'll make it clear, I will not support the CPL in any form, especially if they are behind this scheme.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I wish the CPL well, I hope it's a big success. At the same time, I understand though why the Fury wants to remain in the USL for at least the short term. I think any person who's run a business can relate to having successfully navigated through the start-up phase, finally in a comfortable spot with some cost certainty and a known environment, not wanting to be thrown back into a completely unknown environment, into a completely new start-up phase with a lot of people who have less experience than you in running a soccer team.

The whole CONCACAF thing seems completely unnecessary. I would think the Fury would want to jump to the CPL at some point in the future once they feel comfortable in its stability and when the economics work for them. Forcing them out of the USL is just generating bad feelings and creating a lot of fans hoping for the demise of either the Fury, or the CPL. They should just let things run its course.

Reactions: sabremike

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
FURY good to go in USL for 2019

Ottawa Fury FC was today informed by Canada Soccer that it has now been sanctioned by CONCACAF, the governing body for soccer in North America, to play in the United Soccer League (USL) in 2019, subject to approval by FIFA, soccer’s international governing body. Notification was provided to Canada Soccer after Fury FC sought urgent relief from the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) to permit the team to play in the USL after its sanctioning had been brought into question by CONCACAF. With confirmation that CONCACAF sanctioning has been received, there is no longer any need for the urgent relief from CAS.

We're Back | Update on Fury FC sanctioning

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
Here's the roster as of February 8. I assume we'll soon be adding some strikers and goalkeepers (2). Depth on D and Midfield is pretty impressive IMO. I talked to a Phoenix fan and says Ricci plays on the wing a lot, fast and skilled.

GOALKEEPERS

DAVID MONSALVE
DEFENDERS
NANA ATTAKORA
MAXIM TISSOT
DAKOTA BARNATHAN
ONUA OBASI
JADON VILFORT
CARL HAWORTH
THOMAS MEILLEUR-GIGUÈRE
MIDFIELDERS
CHRIS MANNELLA
WAL FALL
LUCA RICCI
JÉRÉMY GAGNON-LAPARÉ
CHARLIE WARD
KEVÍN OLIVEIRA
JAMAR DIXON
FORWARDS
CHRISTIANO FRANÇOIS

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Went to buy tickets to the home opener. Not digging how the side sections are not assigned seating anymore and just "general admission." I always go to the opener with a group of people who don't give a flying you know what about soccer, other than me I love it, so we'd get a bunch of tickets on the furthest side together on the aisle and just get smashed. It was a lot of fun. Not allowing people to pick their seats is dumb dumb dumb.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad