Proposal: Ottawa / Columbus

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
I may be way off value wise but I'll throw this out there anyhow.

:cbj Brassard, Wikstrand

:sens Jenner, Forsberg

Brassard has not been a great fit in Ottawa so far and I believe I've read that Columbus may be interested in a center (in proposals, other threads)? Maybe bringing back Brassard would be of interest to them? I'd also like to see the sens pick up a goalie with some potential and cut loose a guy or two who isn't working out. Jenner would likely play center in Ottawa but I'm not sure how much he has been used in that role previously.

For Columbus they get a familiar center (again, assuming that they want one) and a lottery ticket in Wikstrand. He could be replaced with a different prospect if Columbus has no interest in playing the waiting game with him.

Way off?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Full disclosure: I don't know anything about Wikstrand except what I can find in hockey databases. What I see is "LHD prospect", and, well, we've got quite a few of those of very high quality, so unless he's really really good I don't see much value in picking him up. And we want to keep Forsberg and Korpisalo for now because one is insurance against the other potentially getting picked in the expansion draft (we figure it's going to be one of them or one of our forwards).

There's also some mild cap worries as we need to resign some folks next year, but that's not nearly as big of an issue. In principle I don't object to bringing Brass back, but for Jenner... that's kind of awkward given the contract, rights control, and age differences.

I think to make this work we'd need a much higher profile prospect coming back. Preferably at C as that's our current area of relative weakness.

tl;dr: Interesting concept but I'd still say no.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Wikstrand has Top-4 potential but hasn't shown the desire to move to North America. I doubt any team trades for him.

Boone Jenner is a kind of player Ottawa would need to add, but not at the expense of Brassard. Jenner is a great garbage goal scorer but isn't very fast. He is physical though. I know he scored 30 goals last year, but if he isn't "lucky" in front of the net, he won't get a lot of points, as evidenced by his 8 pts in 27 games this year, on a team that is firing on all cylinders.

Derick Brassard hasn't produced a lot so far but a good 2nd half of the season would make him redeem himself. The value that Brassard provides is that he will only cost 10.0 for the whole 3 years remaining on his contract, which is an average of 3.33 per season. Brassard is a cheap stop gap while Brown, Chlapik and White develop.

Forsberg would be interesting to add but Ottawa already has 4 goalies to deal with (not counting Hammond) :

Hogberg, Condon, O'Connor and Driedger all have decent to good potential, particularly Hogberg.

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
Wikstrand has Top-4 potential but hasn't shown the desire to move to North America. I doubt any team trades for him.

Boone Jenner is a kind of player Ottawa would need to add, but not at the expense of Brassard. Jenner is a great garbage goal scorer but isn't very fast. He is physical though. I know he scored 30 goals last year, but if he isn't "lucky" in front of the net, he won't get a lot of points, as evidenced by his 8 pts in 27 games this year, on a team that is firing on all cylinders.

Derick Brassard hasn't produced a lot so far but a good 2nd half of the season would make him redeem himself. The value that Brassard provides is that he will only cost 10.0 for the whole 3 years remaining on his contract, which is an average of 3.33 per season. Brassard is a cheap stop gap while Brown, Chlapik and White develop.

Forsberg would be interesting to add but Ottawa already has 4 goalies to deal with (not counting Hammond) :

Hogberg, Condon, O'Connor and Driedger all have decent to good potential, particularly Hogberg.

And on top of this, Ottawa paid a steep price for Brassard, so throwing in the towel on him after 30 games is insane. He'll be fine once he finds his groove. It's not like he's directly causing the team to lose games here.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
I may be way off value wise but I'll throw this out there anyhow.

Brassard has not been a great fit in Ottawa so far and I believe I've read that Columbus may be interested in a center (in proposals, other threads)? Maybe bringing back Brassard would be of interest to them? I'd also like to see the sens pick up a goalie with some potential and cut loose a guy or two who isn't working out. Jenner would likely play center in Ottawa but I'm not sure how much he has been used in that role previously.

For Columbus they get a familiar center (again, assuming that they want one) and a lottery ticket in Wikstrand. He could be replaced with a different prospect if Columbus has no interest in playing the waiting game with him.

Way off?

I'd love to add Jenner, but as people have mentioned Brassard is an unbelievable deal in terms of actual dollars owed for the next 3 years. Plus giving up on him this early would not be good asset management. Forsberg is not a need with our goalie pipeline atm.

As for CBJ, I don't see why they would do it. Wikstrand doesn't have a ton of value imo, and the way Colombus is playing right now would they really want to mess with the mojo and chemistry they got going on.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Wikstrand has Top-4 potential but hasn't shown the desire to move to North America.

Wait, was Wikstrand the guy who refused to come to Sens training camp a while back? Yikes. If that's the case, then we absolutely would want a different prospect. :)

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Take out the two prospects, and I would do this from a CBJ perspective. A center depth of Wennberg-Brassard-Dubinsky-Karlsson would be elite. Plus, come playoff time, both Saad and Brassard are proven performers. Not to mention Dubois coming up in the pipeline.

Saad-Wennberg-Foligno
Karlsson-Brassard-Atkinson
Calvert-Dubinsky-Anderson
Hartnell-Sedlak-Gagner

Werenski-Jones
Johnson-Savard
Nutivaara-Murray

That could be Cup worthy...

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
As for CBJ, I don't see why they would do it. Wikstrand doesn't have a ton of value imo, and the way Columbus is playing right now would they really want to mess with the mojo and chemistry they got going on.

^^This

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Wait, was Wikstrand the guy who refused to come to Sens training camp a while back? Yikes. If that's the case, then we absolutely would want a different prospect. :)

He didn't want to play in the AHL, so he bolted back to Sweden after not making the Sens roster after training camp. His brother was apparently sick too (Leukemia IIRC)

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
He didn't want to play in the AHL, so he bolted back to Sweden after not making the Sens roster after training camp. His brother was apparently sick too (Leukemia IIRC)

Which personally makes sense to me TBH. If you're 24 and you can't make the NHL with an org, you probably aren't going to make it with that org. The AHL is not a good paying job for most. Add that his brother is sick? I dunno, I find it hard to blame him.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Which personally makes sense to me TBH. If you're 24 and you can't make the NHL with an org, you probably aren't going to make it with that org. The AHL is not a good paying job for most. Add that his brother is sick? I dunno, I find it hard to blame him.

Its not that he left. Its how he left.

He just got up and left and didnt tell anyone till he was getting on the plane if i recall correctly. Thats what left the bad note. If he wouldve went to Murray and said hey my brothers sick i want to go play in sweden to be closer to him. Murray wouldve said of course. But he didn't.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Brass became a better and more clutch player during his Ranger years.
No doubt could help this impressive (wow, only 5 regulation losses) Jackets' team

but i don't see his homecoming ending so soon.

Ottawa also is exceeding expectations, and hasn't gotten enough O going yet (2d place despite -9 goal-differential, bottom 5 in GF) Brass can get hot and carry team in spurts, he was a key scorer in his 4 Ranger playoff runs.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Ahkay. Yeah, that's going to be a hard sell for us, if only because it'd give us flashbacks to the days of Filatov (whether the comparison is fair or not). :)

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'd do it if I thought Brassard wanted to play for the Jackets again. He was an unhappy guy there.

Take out the two prospects, and I would do this from a CBJ perspective. A center depth of Wennberg-Brassard-Dubinsky-Karlsson would be elite. Plus, come playoff time, both Saad and Brassard are proven performers. Not to mention Dubois coming up in the pipeline.

Saad-Wennberg-Foligno
Karlsson-Brassard-Atkinson
Calvert-Dubinsky-Anderson
Hartnell-Sedlak-Gagner

Werenski-Jones
Johnson-Savard
Nutivaara-Murray

That could be Cup worthy...

That's not elite center depth, it's perhaps not even average. Elite center depth is when you have high end centers filling out the wings. I do think it makes the Jackets relative weakness much less of an issue and that gets them close to contender status, as the wings, D, and G are contender level.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Brassard for Jenner. Hmm. Would you guys consider Brass for Jenner and a 2nd? At least we could recoup the pick that Dorion gave away for NY paying his bonus or something.

Also to those opposed saying he'd never be traded after 30 games, I don't disagree.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I'd do it if I thought Brassard wanted to play for the Jackets again. He was an unhappy guy there.

That's not elite center depth, it's perhaps not even average. Elite center depth is when you have high end centers filling out the wings. I do think it makes the Jackets relative weakness much less of an issue and that gets them close to contender status, as the wings, D, and G are contender level.

Not an elite group of centers? Other than Pittsburgh, Tampa (when Stamkos is healthy) and maybe San Jose, please name another team who has a deeper group of centers. Wennberg is on pace for over 60 points. Brass is a proven 50+ guy. Dubi is properly placed on the third line, and Karlsson is breaking out offensively this season.

Brassard for Jenner. Hmm. Would you guys consider Brass for Jenner and a 2nd? At least we could recoup the pick that Dorion gave away for NY paying his bonus or something.

Also to those opposed saying he'd never be traded after 30 games, I don't disagree.

If we're going to be throwing in a 2nd, I'd like some retention (~1.5M) on Brassard's contract. I would do that.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Would love to see Brassard back with the CBJ. But his cap hit is a bit too high and will limit some future contracts coming up. Ottawa posters say retention is a non starter so no trade to be done. Jenner may never match this previous season but I like the player and think he adds more to the team than scoring alone.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yeah, I don't think Wikstrand ever makes it to the NHL. He doesn't want to play in the AHL, so there's no point putting him in a trade.

I'd love to have Boone Jenner, but I doubt Columbus would be interested in Brassard.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
If retention is completely off the table, would Ottawa consider Jenner+Harrington/Prout+2nd for Brassard+pick/prospect work?

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I honestly think brass is a great C but I personally wouldnt bring him back. Our locker room right now is the best its.ever been with both chemistry and character. I wouldn't trade a guy like Jenner who is wearing an A for a guy who was very bad in the locker room here before. I'm not against trading Jenner just not for Brassard. Honestly even if we were getting a.steal deal that every analyst and coach in the league said was a must make I still would be hesitant to pull the trigger.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
If retention is completely off the table, would Ottawa consider Jenner+Harrington/Prout+2nd for Brassard+pick/prospect work?

The pick isn't that important that we'd start looking for ways to add/subtract just to get it. We could use a RD depth guy for the ahl I think but others may disagree.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

I honestly think brass is a great C but I personally wouldnt bring him back.

No thanks on Brassard. His stay in Columbus was a mess, not all of his own making but some, enough. He's likely more mature and the team is not the same, but my guess is he'd prefer to stay in Ottawa.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
We already danced with Brassard, not our cup of tea. We have a guy similar to him with Wennberg anyone.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

??? Mikael Wikstrand just turned 23 years old. And this is old news He was still 21 years old when he bolt back to Sweden. Guy had serious potential.

No, because that accomplishes absolutely nothing for Ottawa

Absolutely no need for a depth D-man. Englund, Chabot and Jaros will be knocking at the door and Claesson and Harpur are already decent depth D-men

A 2nd is always nice but Brassard for Jenner is not a move they need to make right now, unless one of Brown, White or Chlapik would be ready for a 2nd line Center role, which is too early.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->