Proposal: Ottawa-Colorado

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I feel like Dorion is still icing his butt after getting massively robbed in the last trade with the Av's. I'm not interested to see such an important deal go through the Av's again.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
First of all. I’m not of the mindset that any player including McDavid is worth 12 million a year. You look at what Pittsburgh has cap wise and how they can build a team. Then you look at the Oil.

And nobody is saying Karlsson isn’t a star. He’s much better than Barrie as an overall dman. But Barrie can give you slightly worse production for much less pay.

And to me it’s more like Barrie + 4 million in cap to add more depth + 2019 Sens lottery pick is without question more valuable to me than Karlsson.

Not even an indictment on EK. It just the proper way to run a team in a capped sport imo.

Leave aside the fact Barrie’s best friend is the Avs best player and chemistry is a thing. This isn’t NHL 19

Edit: We all have a number. And if EK would sign long term for like 8 per year, then for me, I’d think it’d be worth the moving pieces and breaking up the chemistry for hockey sake
It seems like you’re not adjusting at all for cap inflation.

You can’t use a team like Pittsburgh as evidence on why not to sign Karlsson to a 12M deal.

When Malkin signed his deal, he ate 15% of the cap. Karlsson at 12 is pretty much the same thing. It’s only because so many years have passed that the deal now looks normal.

hockeyGod

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
If the Avs could get an extended EK for barrie +Ott 1st, I could see the Avs having a strong offer for Tavaras to join them as well. They have so much cap space that it is actually plausable.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
If the Avs could get an extended EK for barrie +Ott 1st, I could see the Avs having a strong offer for Tavaras to join them as well. They have so much cap space that it is actually plausable.

Avs are $27m under the cap with two small RFAs to sign. Yes, Sakic could certainly make a big splash and has the money and assets to go for EK+JT, but it would go against everything he has preached. I just don’t see Silent Joe doing that.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
It seems like you’re not adjusting at all for cap inflation.

You can’t use a team like Pittsburgh as evidence on why not to sign Karlsson to a 12M deal.

When Malkin signed his deal, he ate 15% of the cap. Karlsson at 12 is pretty much the same thing. It’s only because so many years have passed that the deal now looks normal.
Yes and no.

Malkin and Crosby are two of the best 3 or 4 forwards in the NHL (year in year out) imo. And the have both locked up for like 18 million.

At some point the cap won’t go up drastically every year. But even if it does. I don’t see paying EK 10-12 million good value when a dude like Hedman signed for 7.8 last year. Hedman being a complete dman and the best in the game and has been even in years PK or EK might have won the Norris based on offensive numbers.

So if I was EK I’d ask for 10-12 to stay in that shit show in Ottawa. But that’s not what’s fair for a player like him. 8 or 9 is more than fair. Doughty being the only dman on the potential horizon I’d give 10 million at this point.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
The notion that Makar is a non starter for Avs fans is ridiculous. Hes a prospect. A very good one i might add but hes still just a magic bean at this point.

You are acquiring a future Hall of Famer just entering his prime in Karlsson so yeah we want a lot as a fan base.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Ill ask Avs fans this, would you not want our 4th pick overall tonight in a deal for McKinnon? Because we know you would and it's not unreasonable. So saying Makar is untouchable for Karlsson is just silly

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Ill ask Avs fans this, would you not want our 4th pick overall tonight in a deal for McKinnon? Because we know you would and it's not unreasonable. So saying Makar is untouchable for Karlsson is just silly
Nope.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The notion that Makar is a non starter for Avs fans is ridiculous. Hes a prospect. A very good one i might add but hes still just a magic bean at this point.

You are acquiring a future Hall of Famer just entering his prime in Karlsson so yeah we want a lot as a fan base.
I'd say it's either Makar or the Ottawa pick and then work on what the Avs are giving up.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
You are not getting last years 4th overall + another pick that is probably valued around #5 right now next year for 1 year of 28 year old EK who will command 11M+ next year .(And the major reason for OTT to make this deal is to get their 1st back, isn't it?)

Certainly not from a team that is still rebuilding and should stay the course right now after overachieving last year.

I will be unhappy if we trade a 1st rounder in the next 2 drafts period. Sacrificing this much for Karlsson shouldn't even be discussed from an Avs POV if they have learned anything from the recent past.

MacKinnon is a 22 year old guy that almost won the Hart two days ago with 5 years left on a dirt cheap contract.

The comparison to Karlsson is not valid at all considering that he is due for a massive raise, has only 1 year left and that there are legit injury concerns that combined with his next contract certainly should give a team that finished with 48 points 12 months ago and was the youngest playoff team last season some major pause...

Last edited:

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
MacKinnon is on an amazing contract, is only 22, is dedicated to the team, and not even up for renewal for many years.

Karlsson is someone with a legitimate chance of leaving for UFA in a year if not moved, is at an age where he'd be leaving his prime as the Avs are ready to compete, and will need to be paid a ton well past said prime soon.

The thing that is bewildering to me about Sens fans in these discussions is that they seem to not even think about an asset's value to that specific franchise. Makar is the organization's marquee prospect on a team that is still technically rebuilding. He's a non-starter.

Also, not all 4th overalls are made equal

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State

No we would never be discussing the 4th pick for MacKinnon cause he is our franchise player at 22 YEARS OLD. And wants to stay here with this team.

You Ottawa fans are too much.. Trying to talk us into what a good deal it would be.. IF we were say an EK away from cup contending maybe. But we are not. We dont have a 2nd line. We need a 2nd line before we start upgrading other parts of the roster. After the 2nd line we need to upgrade goalie. Our young kids on the blue line can develop and we can go in to the 2019 draft with 2 picks in the 1st rd.

So yes.. Makar is untouchable. We are building this team through the draft. Not our fault your GM/Owner gave up a premium for Dutchy. Not our fault your team is falling apart and people want out.

We are not desperate.

GO trade with Vegas and get some prospects and a late round pick next year.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest that the Avs would have limited interest if they would need to include Makar in any trade for Karlsson. Frankly, it does not make a lot of sense in terms of what the Avs are trying to build in terms of the age of their corp players.

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
To be done in offseason
Sens
Who Colorado picks 16th overall OR their 2019 pick(Avs choose)
Ottawa 2019 pick
Cale Makar

Avs
Erik Karlsson+8 year ectension
Sens fans in a nutshell. You think you can just snatch Makar, get your own pick back and a Colorado pick for a dude that's on his way out the door.

I don't even feel bad for most Sens fans. Their delusion isn't much worse than Melnyk's.

Hate to be the killjoy, but Karlsson isn't signing an extension to go to Denver.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

I think you guys want that pick back more than we want Karlsson. It isn’t that Karlsson isn’t phenomenal, but his age and contract just aren’t a great fit here. So if he’s coming our way, I think the deal will be slanted in our favor. Otherwise, Sakic will be willing to roll the dice on the pick.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
You're missing the point where Karlsson wants out. Its not like you have a Connor McDavid or Sidney Crosby situation and your player is happy where he is. He's had a terrible drama filled year and wants out of Ottawa. That is why you are not getting top trade value for him.

In a nutshell, hell yeah Karlsson>>>>Makar. But it isnt that simple anymore for more than just pure contract and salary talks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad