Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Just can't see him making it this year as good as he is. If there is a deal in place with the poles we should hear this week I think. If not I hope they have a plan. We need an established goalie from the start, not in January imo.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I told you the Canucks might keep him

You know I hate to say I told you so BUT I will let a fan respond for the REAL BEAST IN THE EAST

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

You know I hate to say I told you so BUT I will let a fan respond for the REAL BEAST IN THE EAST

When he returns, I will toss that same one back at you.

I always say, “Never underestimate the stupidity of an NHL GM.” That would be the case here. Starting the Free Agency clock on a 19 year old goalie that at best would be a backup with no other options if he falters other than sending him back to the OHL and eat a year of eligibility. So stupid it makes you think what sort of rocks sit in the heads of some NHL GM’s.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
When he returns, I will toss that same one back at you.

I always say, “Never underestimate the stupidity of an NHL GM.” That would be the case here. Starting the Free Agency clock on a 19-year-old goalie that at best would be a backup with no other options if he falters other than sending him back to the OHL and eat a year of eligibility. So stupid it makes you think what sort of rocks sit in the heads of some NHL GM’s.

The question going in is going to be does he outshine what they ave and is he a cheaper model. Remember a lot of this is cap space for now and the future. I agree that it would make more sense but then again this is the team that thought Neely would never amount to anything.

The other side of this is if they keep him up and he just practices with the team it costs them little on his contract.

They can keep him just about until the WJC camp and then send him to the WJC after which they could then send him back to OHL or keep him. my guess would be that they force or nudge Windsor as to where they want him to play in the OHL.

If you were Boyd would you make a trade based on this for the rights and then this if he does come back.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The question going in is going to be does he outshine what they ave and is he a cheaper model. Remember a lot of this is cap space for now and the future. I agree that it would make more sense but then again this is the team that thought Neely would never amount to anything.

The other side of this is if they keep him up and he just practices with the team it costs them little on his contract.

They can keep him just about until the WJC camp and then send him to the WJC after which they could then send him back to OHL or keep him. my guess would be that they force or nudge Windsor as to where they want him to play in the OHL.

If you were Boyd would you make a trade based on this for the rights and then this if he does come back.

They can't just keep him up and practice with the team. He has to be sent to Junior or be on the NHL Roster. He could be the 3rd goalie and not dress but they'd have to pay him. He carries a 925k Salary so it is not minimum. That is a lot of cap space eaten for a kid sitting there as the 3rd rostered goalie. I see no reason to do that but what do I know?

Right now he would be considered the 5th guy on their depth chart. Their current backup goalie carries a salary of $2.5mil. I'd think if the Canucks are going to pay a goalie like that, he will dress. MArkstom as the starter should easily carry the load provided he is healthy. Both Demko ($925k with a 2.8mil bonus assignment) and Backman are ahead of him right now.

Arguably he could fight his way past Demko and Backman but I doubt he fights his way past Nilsson and MArkstrom. Even if he were to fight his way all the way to the backup role, it would be so stupid for the Canucks to burn controllable years with his as a backup. He needs development time and he will start to get that in the AHL next year and probably the year after. Markstrom is gone in two seasons so that is his real opportunity.

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
They can't just keep him up and practice with the team. He has to be sent to Junior or be on the NHL Roster. He could be the 3rd goalie and not dress but they'd have to pay him. He carries a 925k Salary so it is not minimum. That is a lot of cap space eaten for a kid sitting there as the 3rd rostered goalie. I see no reason to do that but what do I know?

Right now he would be considered the 5th guy on their depth chart. Their current backup goalie carries a salary of $2.5mil. I'd think if the Canucks are going to pay a goalie like that, he will dress. MArkstom as the starter should easily carry the load provided he is healthy. Both Demko ($925k with a 2.8mil bonus assignment) and Backman are ahead of him right now.

Arguably he could fight his way past Demko and Backman but I doubt he fights his way past Nilsson and MArkstrom. Even if he were to fight his way all the way to the backup role, it would be so stupid for the Canucks to burn controllable years with his as a backup. He needs development time and he will start to get that in the AHL next year and probably the year after. Markstrom is gone in two seasons so that is his real opportunity.

I agree, he can come up to the big show for a few games, and go to the WJC, and carry the load for a OHL team, and perhaps a Memorial Cup run. No need to miss that by having him sit on a bench and start burning his entry level candle. But.... it is Vancouver.

89bardown

Aug 8, 2018
Ontario

The last 19 year old goaltender to stick in the NHL before his overage year was Marc-Andre Fleury 15 years ago. The last goaltender to play more than one NHL game as a 19 year old was Jonathan Bernier 10 years ago. Michael DiPietro is an outstanding goaltender but the odds are heavily stacked against him staying in the NHL at 19 and probably not best for his development.

As far as the Neely comment I think everyone from that era is gone. That's like saying remember this is the same organization who pulled off the Markus Naslund for Alex Stojanov deal.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I am not saying it will happen BUT if the canucks are even thinking it will affect any trade for him. The thought may be that he will develop more at the NHL level in practice. Again it is speculation. BUT if you are the spits and teams looking at him you have to wonder and it will affect how deals are structured.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The question though is how long can they keep him up without activating anything. He and the team may think that he will learn more with them. I am thinking about the way that Bennett was kept up there even after he was cleared to play.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Well the Gens and the Dogs are making big moves. Arguably our rivals this year in the east. The Poles.........

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
67's pre-season schedule

Fri, Aug 31 67's at Sudbury, Sudbury Community Arena.
Sun, Sep 2 67's at Kingston, Leon's Centre.
Mon, Sep 3 Kingston at 67's Cornwall Civic Complex.
Fri, Sep 14 67's at Gatineau Robert Guertin Centre.
Sun, Sep 16 Gatineau at 67's Ray Friel Rec. Complex

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Really except for a goaltender what moves do they need to make. We are solid at every position but goaltending.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Really except for a goaltender what moves do they need to make. We are solid at every position but goaltending.

IF I am being picky, a LW with some size and scoring would be ideal. Also a prototypical #1 D-Man would be outstanding. Imagine that guy, whomever he is, beside Hoefenmeyer. Then Bahl sitting in the #3 or vice versa with Hoef?

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I am expecting Okytuk to be huge this year. I think the other D that will be at NHL camps will also be better and could fill the void.

As to a LW I agree but at what cost.

To me, before they even think of things like that they need to solve the goaltending. Both the LW and #1 D are nice to have and not a must.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I was going over possible goalie options if Dipietro does not pan out.

Kaden Fulcher Bulldogs
Matthew Villalta SSM
Dylan Wells Peterborough

Would you consider any of these goalies to fill our most important missing piece of the puzzle.

Other than the 3 which I have mentioned, do you have any other options that could be viable?

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Agree that goaltender has to be solved first. However IWouldn't worry about cost for a left winger/top 6 forward as we have plenty of trade capital.

Chico Maki

Oct 27, 2014
IF I am being picky, a LW with some size and scoring would be ideal. Also a prototypical #1 D-Man would be outstanding. Imagine that guy, whomever he is, beside Hoefenmeyer. Then Bahl sitting in the #3 or vice versa with Hoef?

I would think both Hamilton and the Soo sell this year, Perhaps a package deal of Strome, Gleason, Fulcher or Howdeshell, Hollywell, Villati are two options. The Wizard (WR) will probably hold on to Diepetro until after the World Juniors, and would demand a record haul I would think. Thoughts?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I would think both Hamilton and the Soo sell this year, Perhaps a package deal of Strome, Gleason, Fulcher or Howdeshell, Hollywell, Villati are two options. The Wizard (WR) will probably hold on to Diepetro until after the World Juniors, and would demand a record haul I would think. Thoughts?
There is zero sense for WR to hold on to DiPietro. Too many things can happen to devalue the trade and not nearly enough to up the value. Goaltending is usually resolved in the very early stages of the season. Right now the 67’s need a goalie. By Christmas, they may have a goalie and DiPietro would only be an upgrade. Who knows.

We’ll see what happens with both Hamilton and SSM. I agree Hamilton is probably better off on a rebuild. I am not sure SSM is in rebuild-sell off mode. I think they can and will compete this year.

Besides, I think package deals are tough. I could see a couple solo deals but if the Poles go after DiPietro it will drain the cupboard quite a bit.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I am expecting Okytuk to be huge this year. I think the other D that will be at NHL camps will also be better and could fill the void.

As to a LW I agree but at what cost.

To me, before they even think of things like that they need to solve the goaltending. Both the LW and #1 D are nice to have and not a must.

If we are truely looking at a championship team, we may need that first pairing D-Man that can put up 50+ points. None of Hoefenmayer, Bahl nor Okhotyuk are prototypical #1 guys. Without that true quarterback for the power play, we won’t score enough on those chances to make a significant enough impact at the elite level against other elite teams. You need to make them pay on the PP.

A guy like Robertson, who may be a bottom pairing guy but a PP QB may even work but he would really need to start asserting himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->