Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Looks like Ingham is locked in as Missy's #1

They could be looking for someone better than Vella to be a backup, especially since Vella was an OA. Not certain, but possible.

Otherwise who would be their backup? Ranger? Seems kind of risky to have Ingham coming off the season he did and then having a rookie goalie (even though he is good) as his backup. Pretty sure Mississauga had the worst goaltending situation by far last year, and that would probably make it worse.

My guess is there will be something else there. Either an OA who is better and can play more minutes like Johnson or Fulcher, or a better, more proven backup similar in quality to Vella.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
They could be looking for someone better than Vella to be a backup, especially since Vella was an OA. Not certain, but possible.

Otherwise who would be their backup? Ranger? Seems kind of risky to have Ingham coming off the season he did and then having a rookie goalie (even though he is good) as his backup. Pretty sure Mississauga had the worst goaltending situation by far last year, and that would probably make it worse.

My guess is there will be something else there. Either an OA who is better and can play more minutes like Johnson or Fulcher, or a better, more proven backup similar in quality to Vella.

simpler answer, they have a 17 year old named matt dunsmoor signed. hes the backup unless he loses it.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Looking at our potential line up for next year we have discussed on this board the need for a goalie and a top 6 center. Goalie is a given but I wonder if we should target a top 6 left wing OA instead. I agree with OMG we put Keating on first line with Chem/ Felhaber. But who do we put with Clark/ Hoelscher on the second line? Options are Bitten, Yule, Losev Boomhower at this point. I don't see any of those as a top 6 barring a huge year two jump from Bitten. Frankly I see Bitten on third line and Yule on fourth. Do not think the other two will make the team. I'm not too worried about center as either Hoelscher or Rossi will likely grow in the number two center role by year end and having a 7th overall as your fourth line center is not bad.

Keep in mind that we are discussing the need for a centre with a shift of Chmelevski to the wing. If he stays at centre, coupled with the acquisition of Rossi, you may be right. We would need a winger to compliment that 2nd line.

Reactions: BarberPole9

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Keep in mind that we are discussing the need for a centre with a shift of Chmelevski to the wing. If he stays at centre, coupled with the acquisition of Rossi, you may be right. We would need a winger to compliment that 2nd line.

I think that Rossi is going to really, really step up and may end up as a 1b Center to Sasha's 1a by the end of the year. For perspective, he is the highest ranked 67's forward for the NHL draft that the team has had this decade.

Has anybody heard any Goaltender rumours?

Is there much of a chance that Travis Barron returns?

Would Drake Rymsha welcome a trade back to Ottawa now that there's a new Coaching staff? He would thrive and as an OA, his cost wouldn't be overly prohibitive.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think that Rossi is going to really, really step up and may end up as a 1b Center to Sasha's 1a by the end of the year. For perspective, he is the highest ranked 67's forward for the NHL draft that the team has had this decade.

Has anybody heard any Goaltender rumours?

Is there much of a chance that Travis Barron returns?

Would Drake Rymsha welcome a trade back to Ottawa now that there's a new Coaching staff? He would thrive and as an OA, his cost wouldn't be overly prohibitive.

It will come down to Rossi's ability to transition to North America but he is definitely one of the front runners for Rookie of the Year.

No goaltender rumours, just speculation regarding DiPietro.

Travis Barron signed an NHL contract this spring. Teams typically do not sign 19 year old players to NHL contracts in the spring and then send them back to Junior. They only get 50 contracts. To wate one on a player thinking they would send the player back to the OHL as an OA is almost unheard of. They will normally have a plan of where he would start his pro career in the fall.

Rymsha is an LA draftee. He may not even return to the OHL this year. If he does, Sarnia would need to be in a rebuild this year for them to entertain a trade. I am not sure what their competitive status for this year is. So, a lot of hurdles would need to be jumped for us to even get an opportunity to trade for him. Also, he wouldn't play as a centre here so I am not too sure that would work for him.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Going into training camp I think there really is only one question left to be answered and that is goaltending. We have the parts to be competitive or excel at all the other positions. The question is going to be who do we have between the pipes and are they the right fit.

At center, I am quite happy with what we have depending on how Rossi does he will be no worse than a good third line center for at least half the year. He will in December and January get a chance to show what he can do as the number 1 center.
The scoring I think we have this year and the defense will be that much bigger stronger and have a great deal of NHL experience.

Do we see any players doing the 9 NHL game thing this year

OMG, you mentioned that Barron will not be back because he has signed a contract. The same can be said for Dipietro who has signed a contract with the Canucks and they are definitely hurting for goalies. That may take him out of the picture in itself.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
DiPietro, despite having signed an ELC, is a '99 and can only play in the NHL or come back to junior (no AHL/ECHL).
Barron turns 20 next month so is eligible to play in the minors.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
DiPietro, despite having signed an ELC, is a '99 and can only play in the NHL or come back to junior (no AHL/ECHL).
Barron turns 20 next month so is eligible to play in the minors.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Looking at the Cnucks it would not surprise me to see Dipietro playing the 9 games and being a backup. That could mean that he stays with them until the WJC and then goes to their camp. After that, it depends on what the Canucks are doing. Still not sure that trading for him is a good thing.

Yes I know he is the best but that can also mean that he stays. Let's face it no one expected Monahan to make the flames. Is there another goalie out there that we could get.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Looking at the Cnucks it would not surprise me to see Dipietro playing the 9 games and being a backup. That could mean that he stays with them until the WJC and then goes to their camp. After that, it depends on what the Canucks are doing. Still not sure that trading for him is a good thing.

Yes I know he is the best but that can also mean that he stays. Let's face it no one expected Monahan to make the flames. Is there another goalie out there that we could get.

19 year old goalies in the NHL Are almost unheard of. So, other than that, you may be right?

For perspective, DiPietro was drafted in 2017. So going into this year is like the 2016 goalies last year. Not one goalie drafted in 2016 played a game in the NHL last year. Only one goalie played in the NHL last year from the 2015 draft and it was 4 games. From the 214 draft? A handful of goalies played only one game and none played as many as two games.

So, I think it would be a considerable stretch to even consider DiPietro in Vancouver next year based on a comparison of recent past.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
To return with my issue of depth on left wing, I wonder if they possibly start Rossi on second line while he gets used to the O? Less responsability initially and might free him up offensively.
Keats-Chem-Felhaber
Rossi-Hoelscher-Clark
Yuill-Bitten-Clarke
Losev-Tolnai-Quinn

I still see acquiring a vet center/left wing, in that scenario Yuill goes to fourth line and Losev is our 13 th forward. I left Boomhower out as I think they will upgrade at OA spot.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012

Almost no chance he stays with the Canucks last training camp. The Canucks brought Thatcher Demko along slowly, and they’ll do the same with DiPietro. They still have Markstrom and Nilsson at the NHL level, with Demko the starter in waiting and Bachman as AHL depth. The soonest you’ll see DiPietro in the NHL is 2020-21

Reactions: hockeylegend11

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
To return with my issue of depth on left wing, I wonder if they possibly start Rossi on second line while he gets used to the O? Less responsability initially and might free him up offensively.
Keats-Chem-Felhaber
Rossi-Hoelscher-Clark
Yuill-Bitten-Clarke
Losev-Tolnai-Quinn

I still see acquiring a vet center/left wing, in that scenario Yuill goes to fourth line and Losev is our 13 th forward. I left Boomhower out as I think they will upgrade at OA spot.

The 67’s have a couple awkward situations up front.

1> Tolnai and Rossi are both Centres of high regard. Neither have experience though. Usually guys like that start on the 4th line and drill up the roster in the 2nd half. IfChmelevski and Hoelscher stay at centre, there is only room for one of them to settle into the 3rd line role otherwise they’d have to switch to wing.
2> Felhaber is the only viable OA to play in a top 6 Forward or top 4 Defense. That leaves two potential spots for other players. One could be a goalie. Essentially, that leaves Boomhower as the only real viable alternate but with the current depth chart and the quality of the youth, it will be tough for him to get consistent top 3 line minutes. That usually suggests the OA will be released.
3> There are another couple players on that depth chart that are in a tough spot. Losev should be gone. I’d keep Boomhower 100% over Losev regardless of OA vs 18 year old. Boomhower would still generate a 5th or 6th round pick later in the season. Losev? I’m not sure he’d garner anything. Yule also is in tough. He has potential and I am curious to see his improvement in skating. But, with the potential of OA acquisitions etc, you have to think he will be in tough for minutes.
4> Quinn needs ice this year to step forward. HE looks virtually buried on the 4th line. Look for him or someone else to shift from the right side to the left so he can shift up the lineup one line at some point this season.
5> Peric is still the #7 D-Man. I could see them dressing 7 D-Men quite a bit and sacrificing the 4th line LW.

PuckDrop123

Nov 10, 2017

1> Tolnai and Rossi are both Centres of high regard. Neither have experience though. Usually guys like that start on the 4th line and drill up the roster in the 2nd half. IfChmelevski and Hoelscher stay at centre, there is only room for one of them to settle into the 3rd line role otherwise they’d have to switch to wing.
2> Felhaber is the only viable OA to play in a top 6 Forward or top 4 Defense. That leaves two potential spots for other players. One could be a goalie. Essentially, that leaves Boomhower as the only real viable alternate but with the current depth chart and the quality of the youth, it will be tough for him to get consistent top 3 line minutes. That usually suggests the OA will be released.
3> There are another couple players on that depth chart that are in a tough spot. Losev should be gone. I’d keep Boomhower 100% over Losev regardless of OA vs 18 year old. Boomhower would still generate a 5th or 6th round pick later in the season. Losev? I’m not sure he’d garner anything. Yule also is in tough. He has potential and I am curious to see his improvement in skating. But, with the potential of OA acquisitions etc, you have to think he will be in tough for minutes.
4> Quinn needs ice this year to step forward. HE looks virtually buried on the 4th line. Look for him or someone else to shift from the right side to the left so he can shift up the lineup one line at some point this season.
5> Peric is still the #7 D-Man. I could see them dressing 7 D-Men quite a bit and sacrificing the 4th line LW.

So based on this... no Belanger?

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
So based on this... no Belanger?
I suspect barring a trade of a D that he'll play a year in tier 2 to get plenty of icetime. If the Poles trade a D ( very possible to get a goalie/top 6 forward) then likely they keep him and he gets sheltered minutes like Peric last year.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013

Agree with all this except for Yule. Can't believe I'm saying this cause I was a detractor early. However he did carve out a role on the PK and came along quite nicely. Also we need his size. Also pretty common for those big guys to develop more slowly. I think he'll get his share of third/fourth line minutes and PK time and if his skating can go up a notch his role might grow.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Another thought. Its been a while in Ottawa where we have had to worry about talented guys getting icetime. Hopefully the competition brings everybody up!

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I'm speculating but I suspect we'll get 67's news/moves this week as Tourigny will be back from under 18's (as will Clarke).
Even though Boyd is the titled GM, with Tourigny as vice-president of hockey operations I do think its actually a partnership so not surprised no big moves announced this week. Just can't believe they are gonna sit on 4 second rounders this year only... makes no sense.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I'm speculating but I suspect we'll get 67's news/moves this week as Tourigny will be back from under 18's (as will Clarke).
Even though Boyd is the titled GM, with Tourigny as vice-president of hockey operations I do think its actually a partnership so not surprised no big moves announced this week. Just can't believe they are gonna sit on 4 second rounders this year only... makes no sense.

67s have a full returning roster, no? Other than a goalie why wouldn’t they wait and see what holes they have after a month?

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I hear what you are saying OMG I am wondering if they can move Rossi to wing. That may hurt him.

I would rather see them go with

Keats-Chem-Felhaber
Bitten-Hoelscher-Clark
Yuill-Rossi--Clarke
Losev-Tolnai-Quinn

Rossi is not a big kid so I can see a lot of people trying to run him. Having Yulle on the line will make them have second thoughts. Also, Yulles defensive ability may be able to cover for Rossi in the beginning.

As to defense, I am pretty sure that any trade involving a goalie is going to cost us a player or 2 that being said I would rather give up a defenseman as we seem to have an overabundance.

As for Dipietro, I did not say that he would be a starter of play but that they could do the 9 game drag on him and keep him around until sometime in November. That would mean maybe a month in OHL than the WJC until mid-January. Remember injuries happen and if they can keep him up in Van as a backup and leave the AHL goalies to help the farm team it makes sense.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
67s have a full returning roster, no? Other than a goalie why wouldn’t they wait and see what holes they have after a month?
For the rest of the roster yes we can wait. But trust me WE KNOW we have a hole in net and I want it addressed ASAP so the team can learn to play in front of a decent goalie. Anyways we have plenty of assets to get a goalie and add later if need be ( top 6 forward likely).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->