Ottawa 67's 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
My Game 3 lines would look like this

Pinelli-/Kressler-/Stonehouse
Foster-/Dever-/Gerrior
Gardiner-/Malliet-/Korbler
Kelly-/Barlas-/Horner
Why are you putting an invalid in your lineup? Gardiner should be in the stands. He can't shoot take face offs or hit.

Move Kelly up to the third line put Yanni in the game at least then we have a player that can play and is healthy

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Why are you putting an invalid in your lineup? Gardiner should be in the stands. He can't shoot take face offs or hit.

Move Kelly up to the third line put Yanni in the game at least then we have a player that can play and is healthy
With all due respect, this series isn't being decided by depth players like Kelly or Yanni, the top 10 and goaltending have to be better. 4th line players aren't going to check Oshawa's top lines into submission.

The lines have been spread to the point of being ineffective, speed and effort won't win playoff hockey games on its own. Eventually the skill and knowledge/experience of the more veteran players has to kick in, the teams best players have to be their best players. There can be an adverse affect on performance if these players find complacency in being part of the larger group instead of the leaders needed to steer a team through the adversities of the playoffs.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
With all due respect, this series isn't being decided by depth players like Kelly or Yanni, the top 10 and goaltending have to be better. 4th line players aren't going to check Oshawa's top lines into submission.

The lines have been spread to the point of being ineffective, speed and effort won't win playoff hockey games on its own. Eventually the skill and knowledge/experience of the more veteran players has to kick in, the teams best players have to be their best players. There can be an adverse affect on performance if these players find complacency in being part of the larger group instead of the leaders needed to steer a team through the adversities of the playoffs.

I think the caveat to that is ensuring your top 9 are playing a top 9 role. We all jave a differing opinion on who those top 9 truly are.

Additionally, if the team is deficient, the lines need to be condensed as do the defence pairings.

All that includes playing players like Mayer 30 minutes per game and roll the top two condensed lines out more frequently as opposed to balancing the lines and defence pairings in hope of this miraculously changing.

The one thing DC has not done effectively to date is alter the game plan to condense lines and keep tossing them over the boards as much as possible. This is my opinion. We all have differing opinion of course.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
I think the caveat to that is ensuring your top 9 are playing a top 9 role. We all jave a differing opinion on who those top 9 truly are.

Additionally, if the team is deficient, the lines need to be condensed as do the defence pairings.

All that includes playing players like Mayer 30 minutes per game and roll the top two condensed lines out more frequently as opposed to balancing the lines and defence pairings in hope of this miraculously changing.

The one thing DC has not done effectively to date is alter the game plan to condense lines and keep tossing them over the boards as much as possible. This is my opinion. We all have differing opinion of course.
We are in agreement on this. If Gardiner can't play top 6 minutes the offensive group is deficient enough IMO that we are really talking about getting two lines that can compete at the higher level and a third line that can hold its own for a short period of time. My reference to 10 was 2 lines. I completely agree about Mayer and would go further to suggest at times Mayer and Mayich need to be paired together to get control of things every now and again. Double shift them if they need to, effectively create a rotation where one of them is on the ice at all times. Mews and Marelli are really good but not ready physically for this level of playoff hockey. The Smyth and Sirman duo is a 3rd line pairing, they produce nothing offensively and struggle with the bigger Oshawa forwards.

Reactions: OMG67

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022

Tonight is, for all intents and purposes, an elimination game. If there is ever a time to significantly shorten the bench and ride the best players, tonight is the night. Empty the tank and deal with Thursday when it comes. A 2-day break is adequate. With Mayich back this evening, both he and Mayer should see 30 minutes, Marrelli should be above 25 minutes, and Mews somewhere between 20 and 25. Sirman should get the bulk of the remainder. I'll be disappointed and, frankly, angry if we see Smyth for more than 2 ES shifts/period.

I can't speak to Gardiner's health but Cameron has made a determination that he, at [x]%, is more valuable than Yanni or Whitehead. With the amount of minutes the 4th line (Gardiner, Barlas, Kelly) has played, it is largely a moot point anyway; they shouldn't play more than 2 ES shifts/period.

Personally, I think it would be a mistake to throw Whitehead into the mix this evening. He hasn't played in weeks (months?) and is an undersized forward. For the record, I also thought it was a mistake to throw Brady to the wolves in game 1 of this series when he hadn't played in weeks/months either. Dietsch had at least played a shift or two in the Brantford series, so why not him?

I don't think Kressler is nearly as effective offensively with Korbler on his wing. I'd like to see a change made there - whether its bringing up Stonehouse on his off-wing, swap Korbler with Horner, or even "promote" Barlas. With last change, throw Pinelli out there with him for a shift or two in the o-zone. Whatever it is, something needs to be done to get Kressler + Foster going again. If we go down, we should go down swinging with our best players.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
As fans, I think we’ve finally gotten to the core issue. We shall see what sort of lineup and utilization is implemented tonight. Let’s see if the coaching staff agrees and starts to condense lines and pile on the minutes to the veteran players.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
As fans, I think we’ve finally gotten to the core issue. We shall see what sort of lineup and utilization is implemented tonight. Let’s see if the coaching staff agrees and starts to condense lines and pile on the minutes to the veteran players.

Cameron shortened the bench to finish off the Brantford series (yes, partly forced by the Mayich suspension) so I would be surprised if he doesn't tonight as well.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Tonight is, for all intents and purposes, an elimination game. If there is ever a time to significantly shorten the bench and ride the best players, tonight is the night. Empty the tank and deal with Thursday when it comes. A 2-day break is adequate. With Mayich back this evening, both he and Mayer should see 30 minutes, Marrelli should be above 25 minutes, and Mews somewhere between 20 and 25. Sirman should get the bulk of the remainder. I'll be disappointed and, frankly, angry if we see Smyth for more than 2 ES shifts/period.

I can't speak to Gardiner's health but Cameron has made a determination that he, at [x]%, is more valuable than Yanni or Whitehead. With the amount of minutes the 4th line (Gardiner, Barlas, Kelly) has played, it is largely a moot point anyway; they shouldn't play more than 2 ES shifts/period.

Personally, I think it would be a mistake to throw Whitehead into the mix this evening. He hasn't played in weeks (months?) and is an undersized forward. For the record, I also thought it was a mistake to throw Brady to the wolves in game 1 of this series when he hadn't played in weeks/months either. Dietsch had at least played a shift or two in the Brantford series, so why not him?

I don't think Kressler is nearly as effective offensively with Korbler on his wing. I'd like to see a change made there - whether its bringing up Stonehouse on his off-wing, swap Korbler with Horner, or even "promote" Barlas. With last change, throw Pinelli out there with him for a shift or two in the o-zone. Whatever it is, something needs to be done to get Kressler + Foster going again. If we go down, we should go down swinging with our best players.

Agree, Ottawa desperately needs a win tonight because there’s not a chance in hell of them winning four straight against Oshawa. Even winning four out of five is going to be a monumental challenge.

Oshawa just needs a split, so they’re playing with house money tonight.

You’re critical of Smyth but it’s been Marelli, Mews and Sirman who’ve struggled with defensive breakdowns and brutal give aways. No doubt getting Mayich back into the line up will help.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Agree, Ottawa desperately needs a win tonight because there’s not a chance in hell of them winning four straight against Oshawa. Even winning four out of five is going to be a monumental challenge.

Oshawa just needs a split, so they’re playing with house money tonight.

You’re critical of Smyth but it’s been Marelli, Mews and Sirman who’ve struggled with defensive breakdowns and brutal give aways. No doubt getting Mayich back into the line up will help.

Most Ottawa fans on here are critical of Smyth because we've seen him play all season. He is a good skater and decent puck-mover for a big man, but doesn't use his size to his advantage (i.e., not physical), is prone to turnovers in the d-zone, and gets caught out of position in the d-zone frequently. Sirman is a step up from Smyth in terms of overall quality of play, but is honestly a #5 d-man at best. I agree that Mews has struggled this series with turnovers. Marrelli is likely trying to do too much and is being over-played in Mayich's absence. If you've observed Smyth outplaying the other d-men in the first two games of this series, it is most likely an aberration.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
I haven’t seen Smyth make any own zone giveaways or defensive mistakes like Mews, Marelli and Sirman have but that could be due to his limited ice time.

Other than Mayich, Ottawa’s defence doesn’t have any physical players. And when you don’t really have any physical forwards either, it’s going to get exposed in the playoffs. Before the series started, I pointed out that was one of the biggest differences between the two teams next to goaltending which is a massive advantage for Oshawa.

Speaking of which, you have to wonder if Michelone starts tonight after MacKenzie was so piss-poor in Game 2.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If we go down, we should go down swinging with our best players.
100 percent. Pinelli should be playing 25 minutes, out there for every offensive zone start. When you are down 2-0, game three is essentially an elimination game - you are absolutely correct. Play your best kids, and leave the fourth line and your third D pair stapled to the bench.

Race Dawg

Mar 10, 2023
Sunny Muskoka
100 percent. Pinelli should be playing 25 minutes, out there for every offensive zone start. When you are down 2-0, game three is essentially an elimination game - you are absolutely correct. Play your best kids, and leave the fourth line and your third D pair stapled to the bench.
Agreed. Tonight will decide if Ottawa wants to hit beaches or play on. The 67's had a chance to steal game one but shit referees, subpar goaltending and blatant giveaways squashed that. This is team is way underpowered or did they just overachieve in the first half of the season?? Controllled Oshawa all season really but I mean this is not 1988 anymore ( we were out played by a scrapper Oshawa team) where Killer found a way to pull it out in game 7 with a superior team.

Essentially the series ended in Oshawa the other night. Congrtats Oshawa you will get yout revenge from last year and year before that etc.....

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Agreed. Tonight will decide if Ottawa wants to hit beaches or play on. The 67's had a chance to steal game one but shit referees, subpar goaltending and blatant giveaways squashed that. This is team is way underpowered or did they just overachieve in the first half of the season?? Controllled Oshawa all season really but I mean this is not 1988 anymore ( we were out played by a scrapper Oshawa team) where Killer found a way to pull it out in game 7 with a superior team.

Essentially the series ended in Oshawa the other night. Congrtats Oshawa you will get yout revenge from last year and year before that etc.....

Ottawa is down 2-0 but we haven’t had a home game yet. Let’s wait to see how they respond at home first before giving up on the series. If the same trend happens again tonight then so be it but at least give them a chance to rebound.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
No lineup changes tonight other than Mayich back into the lineup with Marrelli.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Same lineup except for the expected change on defense so Cameron will no doubt continue to try and give both the Maillet (with Pinelli) and the Dever line as many favourable matchups as possible. He's done that pretty much all playoffs long.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Bad penalty by my guy Gerrior. A bit of revenge for getting rocked by Punnett? Unusual for Gerrior.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Good start and dominated 5vs5 play all period (except for the 4th line) but killed their own momentum with three stupid penalties. Gotta be smarter.

Gotta bench Sirman and the 4th line. Sirman is the weak link on defense, not Smyth or the kids. Too many turnovers. 4th line with quite a few shifts in the 1st but had zero possession in the neutral zone, let alone the offensive zone. Spent most of their shifts chasing the puck in the defensive zone just to ultimately take a penalty. Not good enough. I still think Yanni should be in the lineup. The 4th line was buzzing with him. Without him they're a liability despite that lucky Barlas bounce last game.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I don't know how you can dominate 5vs5 play but still take so many penalties. They really have to address this. It's just stupid. They're allowing Oshawa to hang around for no particular reason. It has to stop. Can't even blame the refs. They've been good.

And finally bench the 4th line. Just gave up another quality chance with a stupid neutral zone turnover.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Could and should be up by more than one but with all of those penalties they're lucky to still have a lead. MacKenzie saving their bacon for now.

Reactions: Race Dawg

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don't know how you can dominate 5vs5 play but still take so many penalties. They really have to address this. It's just stupid. They're allowing Oshawa to hang around for no particular reason. It has to stop. Can't even blame the refs. They've been good.

And finally bench the 4th line. Just gave up another quality chance with a stupid neutral zone turnover.

After the back to back penalties, DC tosses the 4th line out there, they get hemmed in their zone and the puck ends up out of play. Faceoff. Chance to change it up. Nope. Let’s keep the 4th line out for a 2nd faceoff…..

I get that they just killed two penalties back to back and Oshawa tossed out their 4th line but JEZUS, after the play was over and there was another face, time to change it up. Keeping the 4th line out there is silly.

Reactions: Hinterland
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad