Ottawa 67's 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
And that’s the problem. We dont’ know what the strategy was. He very well could be the best player or at least best D-Man available. They could have felt really good about the depth of stay at home types as well. They picked Bonomo late and that kid is a hulk for his age. IMO if there isn’t a BIG D-Man that can score, why not wait until the 4th through 7th rounds to pick they big stay at home types?
The big D that don’t score but considered good puck movers have seen some of the value return from the time offence from defence became all the rage, and have generally gone between round 3 and mid-4th the past few years. This year a few went to teams in a competetive window in round 2.
The kid the ‘67s selected was certainly rated high. Team needs and wants could definitely justify a pick at 21. As far as best goes though, maybe the RD with the most offensive potential and/or best RD that would report. Without reporting issues rankings had Nyman and Cameron go within top 15; Crete, Croskery, and Emerton were on the bubble for round one; Eshkawkogan, Greer, Hicks by pick 30.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The big D that don’t score but considered good puck movers have seen some of the value return from the time offence from defence became all the rage, and have generally gone between round 3 and mid-4th the past few years. This year a few went to teams in a competetive window in round 2.
The kid the ‘67s selected was certainly rated high. Team needs and wants could definitely justify a pick at 21. As far as best goes though, maybe the RD with the most offensive potential and/or best RD that would report. Without reporting issues rankings had Nyman and Cameron go within top 15; Crete, Croskery, and Emerton were on the bubble for round one; Eshkawkogan, Greer, Hicks by pick 30.

Nyman for sure had reporting issues. I’m not sure about Cameron. Again, I thought Crete was likely set in stone at #21 if available. They ended up taking a couple other Ottawa lads later (Perrier and Vandenberg), both I am very curious about.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Nyman for sure had reporting issues. I’m not sure about Cameron. Again, I thought Crete was likely set in stone at #21 if available. They ended up taking a couple other Ottawa lads later (Perrier and Vandenberg), both I am very curious about.
I don’t think I saw a ranking/mock that did not have Cameron 9-21. He and Emerton went back to back in round three with both teams using a time-out. Kitchener has Cameron signed already; BS! :)

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don’t think I saw a ranking/mock that did not have Cameron 9-21. He and Emerton went back to back in round three with both teams using a time-out. Kitchener has Cameron signed already; BS! :)

It’s good if they can manage it. Doesn’t look like Ottawa has managed to recruit at the same level as the other perceived top franchises. It has hurt the 67’s over the last 20 years.

Depending on how he and the other rookies look maybe we could see macK go early

Very possible. But, only if he becomes expendable. I hesitate putting a lot of pressure on Nelson to start the season but things do look very positive, that is for sure.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
It’s good if they can manage it. Doesn’t look like Ottawa has managed to recruit at the same level as the other perceived top franchises. It has hurt the 67’s over the last 20 years.

Very possible. But, only if he becomes expendable. I hesitate putting a lot of pressure on Nelson to start the season but things do look very positive, that is for sure.
If they can get the equivalent of Michelone (19) this year to back-up Nelson next year for cheap I think it makes a lot of sense. Trade Mack to a contender and allow Nelson to get his games. I really don't think these kids feel the pressure of being the starter, the bigger concern transitioning is not getting enough ice time, and the starts they need to be successful. The worst thing that can happen is the situation where they get blocked off and don't maintain a positive development curve with an abundance of games. There is no amount of practicing that prepares a goalie for game action.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013

If they look at the team as a building team with no expectations of a high ranking and tell the players that this a year to develop, I think it would be OK, BUT I agree to have a 19-year-old that can start early would take some of the pressure off.

something to look at Marelli was the top defencsive D Mews was the top office at Hlinka Has to help them a little bit in the draft

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If they can get the equivalent of Michelone (19) this year to back-up Nelson next year for cheap I think it makes a lot of sense. Trade Mack to a contender and allow Nelson to get his games. I really don't think these kids feel the pressure of being the starter, the bigger concern transitioning is not getting enough ice time, and the starts they need to be successful. The worst thing that can happen is the situation where they get blocked off and don't maintain a positive development curve with an abundance of games. There is no amount of practicing that prepares a goalie for game action.

Yes. Additionally, they can always give the weaker games to Nelson in the first half so he isn't facing the top dogs of the conference. That will allow him to amply get his feet wet to prepare him for the tougher games int he 2nd half if MacK were to be traded.

He will likely need a couple months of baby steps before throwing him into the fire. I definitely wouldn’t do it to start the season but if they see the right signs in the first half, I’d have no issues moving MacK to open the door for Nelson. I’m a strong proponent for goalies that are proven starters to get proven starter minutes. I don’t believe in platooning two starting goalies.

If they look at the team as a building team with no expectations of a high ranking and tell the players that this a year to develop, I think it would be OK, BUT I agree to have a 19-year-old that can start early would take some of the pressure off.

something to look at Marelli was the top defencsive D Mews was the top office at Hlinka Has to help them a little bit in the draft

I wouldn’t move MacK at the start of the season but definitely at the deadline or deeper into December. The 19 year old goalies as backups are much easier to acquire at the deadline for cheap as well. It can sometimes be tough to get the backup types. Additionally, if they are trading MacK at the deadline, they may even be able to add an OA goalie and fill that open spot for basically nothing….see Donoso this year for Windsor.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Yes. Additionally, they can always give the weaker games to Nelson in the first half so he isn't facing the top dogs of the conference. That will allow him to amply get his feet wet to prepare him for the tougher games int he 2nd half if MacK were to be traded.

He will likely need a couple months of baby steps before throwing him into the fire. I definitely wouldn’t do it to start the season but if they see the right signs in the first half, I’d have no issues moving MacK to open the door for Nelson. I’m a strong proponent for goalies that are proven starters to get proven starter minutes. I don’t believe in platooning two starting goalies.

I wouldn’t move MacK at the start of the season but definitely at the deadline or deeper into December. The 19 year old goalies as backups are much easier to acquire at the deadline for cheap as well. It can sometimes be tough to get the backup types. Additionally, if they are trading MacK at the deadline, they may even be able to add an OA goalie and fill that open spot for basically nothing….see Donoso this year for Windsor.
Unless one of the others coming into camp shines I think you maybe right. However, I think if they get a good offer no matter when they shoud take it.

The only rule this year should beNOT to trade draft picks out but to trade players to bring draft picks in.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
NO points for the 67's players at the U!8 championships

Koerbler -1 15:01

Marelli 2pm 2sog 17:14

Mews 2sog 17:09

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Unless one of the others coming into camp shines I think you maybe right. However, I think if they get a good offer no matter when they shoud take it.

The only rule this year should beNOT to trade draft picks out but to trade players to bring draft picks in.

Just my assumption or opinion but I don’t think they are entering next season prepared to sell the farm from the first puck drop. Considering that, I think the offer for MacK would need to be lights out for them to budge on moving him. My understanding is they are really high on Nelson but I don’t think they are so high on him enough to anoint him the starter form game one.

Anything is possible and maybe he comes in and outplays MacK. Possible. HE could have one of those pre-seasons that are crazy good. Barring that, I am not sure they make a move on MacK super early. I think they will play it cautiously optimistic.

Regarding picks, you still need to ice your key positions with competent players or you suffer from not developing others. If they are short a centre, they’d ill need to add one and move assets out to get one. That doesn’t mean they blow their brains out on an elite player. I think if they do bring someone in, they are more likely to add an 18 year old if one becomes available. That is not to say they won’t have capable players to fill the key positions. Dever and Whitehead could come in next year above expectations and nail down the #2 and #3 centre positions. Definitely not out of the realm of possibility.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
Just my assumption or opinion but I don’t think they are entering next season prepared to sell the farm from the first puck drop. Considering that, I think the offer for MacK would need to be lights out for them to budge on moving him. My understanding is they are really high on Nelson but I don’t think they are so high on him enough to anoint him the starter form game one.

Anything is possible and maybe he comes in and outplays MacK. Possible. HE could have one of those pre-seasons that are crazy good. Barring that, I am not sure they make a move on MacK super early. I think they will play it cautiously optimistic.

Regarding picks, you still need to ice your key positions with competent players or you suffer from not developing others. If they are short a centre, they’d ill need to add one and move assets out to get one. That doesn’t mean they blow their brains out on an elite player. I think if they do bring someone in, they are more likely to add an 18 year old if one becomes available. That is not to say they won’t have capable players to fill the key positions. Dever and Whitehead could come in next year above expectations and nail down the #2 and #3 centre positions. Definitely not out of the realm of possibility.
I think it will take a half season for other teams to evaluate MacKenzie, based on his performance in the playoffs.

Can he stay healthy?
Can he get back to the ability he had shown a couple of season's ago?

I don't think any team would trade for him before the season.

Reactions: NordiquesForeva

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013

I think a lot of MacK's success is going to depend on how healthy and sharp he is. As to the rest of the team, I think a lot is going to depend on the offers that Boyd gets and what he has planned.

I still see Thisteam as 6th place at best next year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think it will take a half season for other teams to evaluate MacKenzie, based on his performance in the playoffs.

Can he stay healthy?
Can he get back to the ability he had shown a couple of season's ago?

I don't think any team would trade for him before the season.

Those are good points. It is funny though. Good goalies tend to move early rather than at the deadline. I agree with Beast that we need to at least be prepared to move him if the demand is high early in the season. My concern is they won’t be prepared to move him until closer to the deadline when the goaltending situations are mostly covered, especially at the OA spots.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think a lot of MacK's success is going to depend on how healthy and sharp he is. As to the rest of the team, I think a lot is going to depend on the offers that Boyd gets and what he has planned.

I still see Thisteam as 6th place at best next year.

Their positioning will depend a lot on approach. If they take the approach to thin out the OA’s and that’s it, I think they can be as high as 4th in the Conference at the Christmas break. Ottawa always tends to start quick and seem to be ahead of the development curve early from a preparedness perspective. They do return a pretty slid overall roster with experience as well.

Where my concern lies is post-deadline. I honestly feel all of Oshawa, Brantford and Brampton will buy at the deadline. Oshawa is already poised to go to the Finals this year and they return much of their team next year. Brampton is going to be very strong and have so many picks to use. Same with Brantford. All three of those teams have made public statements as to their intentions of being competitive next year. How heavy they approach the deadline remains to be seen.

After those three, I think Ottawa is right there but that gap post-deadline from 3rd to 4th if those three teams commit at the deadline could be pretty vast. I could see 20 points separating 3rd and 4th! That is the same sort of gap between 3rd and 5th in the Western Conference this year.

Then there are teams like Barrie, Kingston, and Sudbury that will all return solid teams with some really good pieces. I think Ottawa is in that group of teams int he first half. How these four teams approach the deadline will dictate how they finish in the standings. That means if Ottawa took a seller approach and the other three did not, Ottawa could finish 7th.

Then there is North Bay (likely trade Romani), Niagara, and Peterborough. I think the Petes finish last. Niagara and North Bay battle for 8th, maybe even 7th or higher if there ar multiple sellers ahead of them.

If Ottawa did a full sell off (I don’t think that would happen), they could honestly finish as low as 9th. I think 6th is pretty accurate looking at the landscape next year. They could finish as high as 4th if Boyd is stubborn and tries to compete at the expense of future asset accumulation. Higher than 4th? I think that would be a very tough road.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Their positioning will depend a lot on approach. If they take the approach to thin out the OA’s and that’s it, I think they can be as high as 4th in the Conference at the Christmas break. Ottawa always tends to start quick and seem to be ahead of the development curve early from a preparedness perspective. They do return a pretty slid overall roster with experience as well.

Where my concern lies is post-deadline. I honestly feel all of Oshawa, Brantford and Brampton will buy at the deadline. Oshawa is already poised to go to the Finals this year and they return much of their team next year. Brampton is going to be very strong and have so many picks to use. Same with Brantford. All three of those teams have made public statements as to their intentions of being competitive next year. How heavy they approach the deadline remains to be seen.

After those three, I think Ottawa is right there but that gap post-deadline from 3rd to 4th if those three teams commit at the deadline could be pretty vast. I could see 20 points separating 3rd and 4th! That is the same sort of gap between 3rd and 5th in the Western Conference this year.

Then there are teams like Barrie, Kingston, and Sudbury that will all return solid teams with some really good pieces. I think Ottawa is in that group of teams int he first half. How these four teams approach the deadline will dictate how they finish in the standings. That means if Ottawa took a seller approach and the other three did not, Ottawa could finish 7th.

Then there is North Bay (likely trade Romani), Niagara, and Peterborough. I think the Petes finish last. Niagara and North Bay battle for 8th, maybe even 7th or higher if there ar multiple sellers ahead of them.

If Ottawa did a full sell off (I don’t think that would happen), they could honestly finish as low as 9th. I think 6th is pretty accurate looking at the landscape next year. They could finish as high as 4th if Boyd is stubborn and tries to compete at the expense of future asset accumulation. Higher than 4th? I think that would be a very tough road.
Boyd's attempt to become competitive with me is a reason to fire him. This is a team of dwindling returns. It is like a ship that has a hole—you patch it, then two more, and so on.

There is a point where you have to say we suck, and the future only sucks more if we do nothing.
This and next year are years to first start the rebuld and then carry on.

We need to get draft picks develop the draft picks and ensure that we are getting the best player avail.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Boyd's attempt to become competitive with me is a reason to fire him. This is a team of dwindling returns. It is like a ship that has a hole—you patch it, then two more, and so on.

There is a point where you have to say we suck, and the future only sucks more if we do nothing.
This and next year are years to first start the rebuld and then carry on.

We need to get draft picks develop the draft picks and ensure that we are getting the best player avail.

There is a fine line when it comes to development. @dirty12 said it best about the Petes. They acquired a lot of ‘07s this past deadline but if they don’t surround them with guys that can help elevate their game, they waste them entirely because they will spend the next couple years chasing pucks.

So, although the 67’s do need a rebuild, we agree on that, the level of rebuild is the fine line. Of course, you need to thin out the OA’s and get it down to three at some point early in the season. BUT BUT BUT they need to remain somewhat competitive. I don’t want to see them drop below 68 points. I think if they can stay around that mark during a sell off season or two, they will maintain a decent level of performance while inserting younger players into the lineup.

I’m not too sure what they need to do to maintain that next year but I think if they can afford to trade Pinelli and maybe one more player - not a centre (other than the OAs). If they aren’t competitive the following year, they can move Mews and maybe one player. Stay in the pocket.

My fear is they bottom out being too aggressive selling and it takes them six years to get good again because they waste early picks not being able to develop them because there is nothing but trash surrounding them.

I am a solid proponent that a team needs two competent centres, three solid D-Men, and a decent goalie to maintain competitiveness and allow younger players to be surrounded by players that can elevate their game and build their confidence. They cannot make trades that affect those core pieces.

Going into next year, if Dever can grasp the 2nd centre role and run with it, I think we have those six core pieces. IMO, they cannot trade Gardiner, Dever, Mews, Marrelli, one of the OA D-Men and MacK. The caveat being if Nelson steps up, they could trade MAcK at some point. Pinelli and any one skater of the rest could go and we could make do.

Nelson, Whitehead, Dietsch, Amidovski, Yanni, Hilton, Brady, Eshkawkogan, and Perrier need regular ice time. They don’t all need to be starters every game but they need to be a part of the regular roster. That’s nine guys that weren’t a factor this past season. Seven of those guys need to rotate into the lineup and dress every game. That’s a tall order considering the returning bodies. But, the emphasis has to be on DC to figure out that puzzle and stay somewhat competitive and Boyd to thin out the roster to allow the flexibility to insert these kids.

Reactions: dirty12

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
There is a fine line when it comes to development. @dirty12 said it best about the Petes. They acquired a lot of ‘07s this past deadline but if they don’t surround them with guys that can help elevate their game, they waste them entirely because they will spend the next couple years chasing pucks.

So, although the 67’s do need a rebuild, we agree on that, the level of rebuild is the fine line. Of course, you need to thin out the OA’s and get it down to three at some point early in the season. BUT BUT BUT they need to remain somewhat competitive. I don’t want to see them drop below 68 points. I think if they can stay around that mark during a sell off season or two, they will maintain a decent level of performance while inserting younger players into the lineup.

I’m not too sure what they need to do to maintain that next year but I think if they can afford to trade Pinelli and maybe one more player - not a centre (other than the OAs). If they aren’t competitive the following year, they can move Mews and maybe one player. Stay in the pocket.

My fear is they bottom out being too aggressive selling and it takes them six years to get good again because they waste early picks not being able to develop them because there is nothing but trash surrounding them.

I am a solid proponent that a team needs two competent centres, three solid D-Men, and a decent goalie to maintain competitiveness and allow younger players to be surrounded by players that can elevate their game and build their confidence. They cannot make trades that affect those core pieces.

Going into next year, if Dever can grasp the 2nd centre role and run with it, I think we have those six core pieces. IMO, they cannot trade Gardiner, Dever, Mews, Marrelli, one of the OA D-Men and MacK. The caveat being if Nelson steps up, they could trade MAcK at some point. Pinelli and any one skater of the rest could go and we could make do.

Nelson, Whitehead, Dietsch, Amidovski, Yanni, Hilton, Brady, Eshkawkogan, and Perrier need regular ice time. They don’t all need to be starters every game but they need to be a part of the regular roster. That’s nine guys that weren’t a factor this past season. Seven of those guys need to rotate into the lineup and dress every game. That’s a tall order considering the returning bodies. But, the emphasis has to be on DC to figure out that puzzle and stay somewhat competitive and Boyd to thin out the roster to allow the flexibility to insert these kids.
I agree the challenge that they are going to have is that they HAVE TO TRADE a good portion on the forward core if not, then they risk having 2025 OA

Horner
Barlas
Dever
Pinelli
Gardiner and
Foster.

Based on last year, unless we get too good an offer, I would keep

Horner, we need RW size, plus he is available if we have a defence issue.
Foster Center first line I do not wee Dumb ass offering him a contract

My thought is that Whitehead in 25/26 should be ready for or capable of playing 2nd line.

I have no issue with making trades that are part of the game. I just do not see a reason for us to trade any of the top 6 rounds of choices for part-time players that are not needed. I would prefer getting more of them.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I agree the challenge that they are going to have is that they HAVE TO TRADE a good portion on the forward core if not, then they risk having 2025 OA

Horner
Barlas
Dever
Pinelli
Gardiner and
Foster.

Based on last year, unless we get too good an offer, I would keep

Horner, we need RW size, plus he is available if we have a defence issue.
Foster Center first line I do not wee Dumb ass offering him a contract

My thought is that Whitehead in 25/26 should be ready for or capable of playing 2nd line.

I have no issue with making trades that are part of the game. I just do not see a reason for us to trade any of the top 6 rounds of choices for part-time players that are not needed. I would prefer getting more of them.

There are multiple strategies for sure. They will get a player in the Pinelli trade. I would take best available player regardless of position. But they could lip a couple picks they get in another trade for an 18 year old that fits a need. You get 2-3 years out of that player.

Foster is 50-50. Pittsburgh is on the verge of rebuilding. They may want to stock their minor leagues so I wouldn’t be too sure Foster goes unsigned. On a deeper team? Probably not.

Gardiner is an early NHL pick and will likely be signed but if not, he’d be the perfect OA. I’m not sure about Horner. I understand what you are saying but we don’t know how players like Hilton, Houben, and Amidovski develop. We may not need his attributes. Tough call this early on role player type OAs.

Dever and Barlas are candidates but at some point they need to free up space for the youngin’s. Barlas is a tougher trade because he was a first round pick and he has a school package that the 67s will want to follow him. I doubt he is traded until he is an OA. His school package doesn’t count towards the seven the 67s can have when he is an OA.

Reactions: beastintheeast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad