Ottawa 67's 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Just was told that there might be an announcement wednesday for the coaching situation. Before you ask that's all I got, no names.

To me that does not make sense from a marketing point of view is the Kraken not choosing their team on Wednesday.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I agree and is that not what scouts are looking for the player not only does what the coach says but lives and breathes it. A player that plays both ways is what makes a star. It is not the kid that tries to do everything himself and gets nowhere.

I know it is not going to happen but how about Kevin Weekes as a coach.

Talk about work ethic.

Weekes is one of the top Personalities on the NHL Network. No chance he comes back to be a coach. Besides that, he hasn’t coached anywhere.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Certainly a high profile hire for the junior level. I've got to admit that since oseg recommited to the 67's with the hiring of Boyd/Tourigny they have not skimped in order to build a quality program....scouting, education, training etc. Kudos to oseg.

Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
In respect to the hire I'm a bit divided. On the positive there is no doubt Cameron is an experienced coach who has had success at the junior level and he has a relationship with Boyd so they will likely share a common philosophy a bit like Boyd/Tourigny. Another positive is having a well known respected coach will likely help recruitment...maybe Moldenhauer was waiting for a coach hire??
My concern is the style of play of his teams in Missy. Very structured defensive approach imo and he seemed a bit risk adverse. Now argument could be made he coached that way because of his teams make up. I hope he keeps the Tourigny system based on speed, puck pressure and puck possession including activating the D in tye O zone. This is important as ottawa has been drafting for that style of play. Hopefully he shows flexibility and plays to the strenght of his team.

I guess I believe Cameron can raise the floor of a team but can he raise their ceiling or stiffle offensive talent and creativity a bit??

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
In respect to the hire I'm a bit divided. On the positive there is no doubt Cameron is an experienced coach who has had success at the junior level and he has a relationship with Boyd so they will likely share a common philosophy a bit like Boyd/Tourigny. Another positive is having a well known respected coach will likely help recruitment...maybe Moldenhauer was waiting for a coach hire??
My concern is the style of play of his teams in Missy. Very structured defensive approach imo and he seemed a bit risk adverse. Now argument could be made he coached that way because of his teams make up. I hope he keeps the Tourigny system based on speed, puck pressure and puck possession including activating the D in tye O zone. This is important as ottawa has been drafting for that style of play. Hopefully he shows flexibility and plays to the strenght of his team.

I guess I believe Cameron can raise the floor of a team but can he raise their ceiling or stiffle offensive talent and creativity a bit??

I think this year they’ll need to play in a defensive system. Most teams without bonafide scoring need to play that way otherwise they get slaughtered night in and night out.

It will be difficult to revert back to that style of play without the horses you need to be successful with it.

I hope after this season they will be able to open it up a bit and be more creative as the younger players catch up to the speed. That has always been Ottawa67’s hockey. I don’t think that will change int he long term.

The question is whether Cameron is here for the short term or the long term. He is 63. A full cycle is 4 years. He will be 67 when that cycle is complete. I’m not sure what his end game is for a career but you gotta think he is nearing it. I doubt at that age there will be another NHL opportunity anyway.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
I think this year they’ll need to play in a defensive system. Most teams without bonafide scoring need to play that way otherwise they get slaughtered night in and night out.

It will be difficult to revert back to that style of play without the horses you need to be successful with it.

I hope after this season they will be able to open it up a bit and be more creative as the younger players catch up to the speed. That has always been Ottawa67’s hockey. I don’t think that will change int he long term.

The question is whether Cameron is here for the short term or the long term. He is 63. A full cycle is 4 years. He will be 67 when that cycle is complete. I’m not sure what his end game is for a career but you gotta think he is nearing it. I doubt at that age there will be another NHL opportunity anyway.
He has a history of coaching a very structured system, similar to Tourigny. Its very Hockey Canada, where the team pushes the pace in all three zones and requires depth of talent. Role three lines and look for mismatches, and to wear teams down later in the game. Tourigny always preached its a process, and I don't see Cameron's philosophy being a whole lot different. The team will play a playoff style of hockey every night.
I agree, this requires some steady defensive play early in games while the offensive opportunities develop. The composition of players would seem to suit this style of play very well; and leaves the opportunity for any number of players to emerge as the scorers on any given night. At 63 Cameron is a very good short term solution, as long as he hasn't become stale in approach to players, things can become robotic because it has worked in the past.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
He has a history of coaching a very structured system, similar to Tourigny. Its very Hockey Canada, where the team pushes the pace in all three zones and requires depth of talent. Role three lines and look for mismatches, and to wear teams down later in the game. Tourigny always preached its a process, and I don't see Cameron's philosophy being a whole lot different. The team will play a playoff style of hockey every night.
I agree, this requires some steady defensive play early in games while the offensive opportunities develop. The composition of players would seem to suit this style of play very well; and leaves the opportunity for any number of players to emerge as the scorers on any given night. At 63 Cameron is a very good short term solution, as long as he hasn't become stale in approach to players, things can become robotic because it has worked in the past.

Agreed. Where I was zeroing in was the fact we don't have that depth of scoring evident on paper. We'll need to be patient while the young kids find their way and catch up to the speed. In the interim, if this team wants success in the standings, they'll need to lean heavily on defence. That isn't to say they keep 4 guys back and send one guy in but he definitely won't be unleashing the hounds either.

We'll see what happens early season. Hopefully a handful of players emerge as scoring threats so we can open it up and be comfortable playing with possession as opposed to neutralizing opponent possession.

Reactions: PuckStop75

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Agreed. Where I was zeroing in was the fact we don't have that depth of scoring evident on paper. We'll need to be patient while the young kids find their way and catch up to the speed. In the interim, if this team wants success in the standings, they'll need to lean heavily on defence. That isn't to say they keep 4 guys back and send one guy in but he definitely won't be unleashing the hounds either.

We'll see what happens early season. Hopefully a handful of players emerge as scoring threats so we can open it up and be comfortable playing with possession as opposed to neutralizing opponent possession.
I know everyone likes to beat on Tolnai, but he had 11pts in the final 10 games of 19/20, 7 of those points came in 3 games against Barrie and Kingston. If he can continue on with that type of production it would be a good start. Robinson if he ever gets healthy, along with Beck, Johnston, Sirizzotti, LaForme, Rohrer and Stonehouse have all demonstrated they can score at other levels so among the 8 of them there should be a few goals. There just not the names we are use to seeing on the scoresheet, yet!

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
No Ottawa 67’s players amongst the 51 invited to the WJHC Development camp.

This highlights Ottawa’s lack of punch with respect to the 18 and 19 year old cohorts this season. There is some depth but no one really stands out as a bonafide stud to lean on.

I was a little surprised Matier didn’t get an invite but their list is pretty deep and he will probably get his chance as a 19 year old.

Reactions: OHLoutsider2020

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
No Ottawa 67’s players amongst the 51 invited to the WJHC Development camp.

This highlights Ottawa’s lack of punch with respect to the 18 and 19 year old cohorts this season. There is some depth but no one really stands out as a bonafide stud to lean on.

I was a little surprised Matier didn’t get an invite but their list is pretty deep and he will probably get his chance as a 19 year old.
Really depends on how you look at it, these selections are based on the observed play, and the HC program is designed to try to get a healthy cross section of talent from across the country. It doesn't help that the OHL was the only CHL team to not play any games last year so they are at a disadvantage. Cameron and Boyd will be seeing Ottawa's players this year so if one steps up than it will be recognized.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
There are so many unknowns going into this year. The only team I see as a scoring powerhouse is Kingston with Wright but they also have a new coach and only rights line.

I think that the 67's need to go back to the old defence stays above the circles in the offensive end until this team gets to know each other again.

As to the WJC and not having any players picked who cares we all knew that this year was going to be a rebuilding year anyway and we are not the only team in this condition.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
There are so many unknowns going into this year. The only team I see as a scoring powerhouse is Kingston with Wright but they also have a new coach and only rights line.

Idk about this. Barrie & Hamilton look really good to me.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Idk about this. Barrie & Hamilton look really good to me.
Kingston has 2 lines, and if there import goalie panes out just need to look at shoring up a third line, I don't think their defense is particularly strong, and they don't have an abundance of picks so it would be a clearing house exercise if they were going to contend. Barrie has three lines but no goaltending, if they try to use Greaves they will need to make an OA available, which weakens there top 2 lines for what is a very mediocre goalie. Barrie has enough picks to do whatever they want as long as the players are available to make them better. Hamilton has three good forward lines, but isn't particularly strong on defense or in net; with minimal picks to work with they could try to flip a forward for a D. I wouldn't lose track of North Bay this year either, they have 9-19yo returning, no elite scorers but well balanced across the team, plus 3 OA forwards, there picks have been very high the last few years so they project very well in a supporting role.
Ottawa as has been noted before has three good lines but no definitive top scoring line; they have open OA positions but not an abundance of picks to work with. They also have a number of unproven 17 & 18 year olds who were selected high in the draft including Moldenhauer to work into a trade. I don't see Ottawa as a top 3 team in the east without making some transactions BUT no one thought they were that good going into the 18/19 season and they ended up in the OHL Finals, and in 19/20 there were a lot of questions about who would replace the scoring and they were the top team in the Country at the time of the shutdown.

Reactions: beastintheeast

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Kingston has 2 lines, and if there import goalie panes out just need to look at shoring up a third line, I don't think their defense is particularly strong, and they don't have an abundance of picks so it would be a clearing house exercise if they were going to contend. Barrie has three lines but no goaltending, if they try to use Greaves they will need to make an OA available, which weakens there top 2 lines for what is a very mediocre goalie. Barrie has enough picks to do whatever they want as long as the players are available to make them better. Hamilton has three good forward lines, but isn't particularly strong on defense or in net; with minimal picks to work with they could try to flip a forward for a D. I wouldn't lose track of North Bay this year either, they have 9-19yo returning, no elite scorers but well balanced across the team, plus 3 OA forwards, there picks have been very high the last few years so they project very well in a supporting role.
Ottawa as has been noted before has three good lines but no definitive top scoring line; they have open OA positions but not an abundance of picks to work with. They also have a number of unproven 17 & 18 year olds who were selected high in the draft including Moldenhauer to work into a trade. I don't see Ottawa as a top 3 team in the east without making some transactions BUT no one thought they were that good going into the 18/19 season and they ended up in the OHL Finals, and in 19/20 there were a lot of questions about who would replace the scoring and they were the top team in the Country at the time of the shutdown.

Marco Rossi had a lot to do with the success. Not sure a kid like Rohrer will meet that lofty expectation. And, we would be comparing a kid like Tolnai to Chmelevski or Hoelscher and Robinson to Keating or Clark. On defense we’d be comparing the Hoefenmeyer-Bahl combo to Matier-Belanger as well. I would suggest there is a sizeable gap in all those comparisons.

You gotta have at least some reasoning behind placing a “possible” projection behind potential possibilities other than looking back at previous seasons. Man for man, this team is not skating on the same rink as the 18-19 team. This team also isn’t benefitting from a closet full of draft picks acquired in sell-off deals the previous couple seasons that were used to acquire Felhaber (previous season), as well as Maksimovich, and Chiodo as OA’s.

I understand your point though. I believe you are correct in assuming the top 4 going in are Barrie, Kingston, North Bay and Hamilton. That leaves #5 seed open and Ottawa, if everything lines up well, could claim that spot because many of the other Eastern teams are in a similar situation so it will come down to flat out performance.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

NB actually has 5-19 yr olds with the goalie and one D likely being well above average. With luck, they get Coe back for an OA season; otherwise, the OAs should be one D and one F.
Not a lot of usable veteran depth on Hamilton’s D, but there are two decent OA D and an OA F to move, and I think you might be underestimating the number of picks available to bolster the back end.

Last edited:

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Marco Rossi had a lot to do with the success. Not sure a kid like Rohrer will meet that lofty expectation. And, we would be comparing a kid like Tolnai to Chmelevski or Hoelscher and Robinson to Keating or Clark. On defense we’d be comparing the Hoefenmeyer-Bahl combo to Matier-Belanger as well. I would suggest there is a sizeable gap in all those comparisons.

You gotta have at least some reasoning behind placing a “possible” projection behind potential possibilities other than looking back at previous seasons. Man for man, this team is not skating on the same rink as the 18-19 team. This team also isn’t benefitting from a closet full of draft picks acquired in sell-off deals the previous couple seasons that were used to acquire Felhaber (previous season), as well as Maksimovich, and Chiodo as OA’s.

I understand your point though. I believe you are correct in assuming the top 4 going in are Barrie, Kingston, North Bay and Hamilton. That leaves #5 seed open and Ottawa, if everything lines up well, could claim that spot because many of the other Eastern teams are in a similar situation so it will come down to flat out performance.
The comparison was directed at the cynicism of the fan base and was not a team to team or player to player comparison.
I believe that Ottawa is one of the more underrated teams entering the season again this year, which is more the point of the comment and comparison.

Reactions: dirty12

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
NB actually has 5-19 yr olds with the goalie and one D likely being well above average. With luck, they get Coe back for an OA season; otherwise, the OAs should be one D and one F.
Not a lot of usable veteran depth on Hamilton’s D, but there are two decent OA D and an OA F to move, and I think you might be underestimating the number of picks available to bolster the back end.
I agree NB's 19 yo are not all high end, but they have experience that most of the league doesn't have. While they didn't look great as 16/17 yo playing against 19/20, it is how they compare to there own age group and younger players now. Ottawa is in a very comparable situation this way.
Hamilton has lots of 3rd round picks, the issue is Barrie will be driving the price up with there 10-2nds and 9-3rds and has similar needs for the few difference making players that will be available. I fully expect Hamilton to be competitive, I just think they will be cleaned out of picks if they go for it.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I agree NB's 19 yo are not all high end, but they have experience that most of the league doesn't have. While they didn't look great as 16/17 yo playing against 19/20, it is how they compare to there own age group and younger players now. Ottawa is in a very comparable situation this way.
Hamilton has lots of 3rd round picks, the issue is Barrie will be driving the price up with there 10-2nds and 9-3rds and has similar needs for the few difference making players that will be available. I fully expect Hamilton to be competitive, I just think they will be cleaned out of picks if they go for it.

Foerster and Mysak now eligible for AHL evens the playing field quite a bit. Miss, Ottawa & Oshawa are not necessarily a clear tier below Barrie & Hamilton anymore, imo.
I completely agree 19 yr olds should dominate even more than normal years. It was the number of them and OA forwards for NB that I disagree with. It’s 5@19 not 9, and most likely 1 OA F & 1 OA D.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Foerster and Mysak now eligible for AHL evens the playing field quite a bit. Miss, Ottawa & Oshawa are not necessarily a clear tier below Barrie & Hamilton anymore, imo.
I completely agree 19 yr olds should dominate even more than normal years. It was the number of them and OA forwards for NB that I disagree with. It’s 5@19 not 9, and most likely 1 OA F & 1 OA D.
Unless I've missed a trade (that is possible) they have Currie, Campbell, Stevens, Jackson, Mayotte, Thompson, Shlueting, Winslow, and Vrbetic.
Plus Caines, Primeau, Russell OA Forwards and Rose OA D

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Unless I've missed a trade (that is possible) they have Currie, Campbell, Stevens, Jackson, Mayotte, Thompson, Shlueting, Winslow, and Vrbetic.

Schlueting traded. Stevens, Thompson, Campbell won’t make the cut imo. Currie & Mayotte to start. Vrbetic, Winslow, Jackson for sure.
The D depth chart should be something like:
Winslow-Christopolous
Rose-Nelson
Lukin-Mathurin-Hollett
Mayotte
2021-1st 3rd picks
Thompson

I don’t think NB hangs onto the 8th & 11th D for long.
Primeau on the forecheck against a 155lb ‘05 born D never playing a game above bantam is a little too scary to imagine. I don’t see a purpose for Caines anywhere, maybe the Petes

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->