Ottawa 67's 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Congratulations to Nick Moldenhauer national under 16 champions Interesting fact he had 5 shots on net and scored 5 goals. Again it could be the stats but hey that is still not a bad record.

North Jersey Avalanche 16U AAAAYHL 16U131518332 |
6.png
Chicago Steel
USHL60220-2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Yeah it is not the same as playing a full year in the USHL but we have to think that part of that is that he may not have wanted to commit to the USHL and give up the ability to play in Ottawa.

No matter what he has a huge jump on most of the other people coming into training camp as he played a full season this year.

I still think he will be a surprise next year.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Well the lottery is tomorrow, got to admit I'm kind of excited for it as a one time thing. I guess I've got to be excited for something after this wasted year.
Being optimistic ( and unrealistic) best case scenario is we get pick number one in the first and Owen Sound gets number twenty. As we have Owen Sounds second rounder we would get number 21! Gotta dream:rolleyes:

Reactions: BarberPole9

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Well the lottery is tomorrow, got to admit I'm kind of excited for it as a one time thing. I guess I've got to be excited for something after this wasted year.
Being optimistic ( and unrealistic) best case scenario is we get pick number one in the first and Owen Sound gets number twenty. As we have Owen Sounds second rounder we would get number 21! Gotta dream:rolleyes:

I am excited for it too, quite honestly it’s the only good OHL news since our potential championship season was derailed last year.

Is the league going to have the same drawing power to this crop of 2005 born players after being possibly the only top development league in the world to fully cancel its season? I’ve heard the arguments blaming the government and that there was supposedly an agreement in place when the lockdown hit, but the reality is that the league really dropped the ball and let a lot of its players down. It seems like new leadership in the league might be a breath of fresh air.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I am excited for it too, quite honestly it’s the only good OHL news since our potential championship season was derailed last year.

Is the league going to have the same drawing power to this crop of 2005 born players after being possibly the only top development league in the world to fully cancel its season? I’ve heard the arguments blaming the government and that there was supposedly an agreement in place when the lockdown hit, but the reality is that the league really dropped the ball and let a lot of its players down. It seems like new leadership in the league might be a breath of fresh air.
I don't know how much it will affect the players commiting to the league.I suspect it won't be too much of a factor for Ontario kids as everybody was in the same boat and most of them didn't play much in their minor midget year anyway. I do think it might have an impact in attracting imports and americans to canadian based teams however. I do agree we need new leadership for the OHL however. I don't want to blame Branch because at the end of the day I don't know how much or if any of the outcome was his fault. But let's face it he's been there like a hundred years. Time to get younger more marketing savvy people in there.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Imports may decide to stay away depending on their situation. Canada is about 3 months behind most of the Western world with respect to back to normal. That three months delay may seep into early October. If it does, it probably means a delayed start. IF there is a significantly delayed start, the Imports may stay in Europe.

The US based kids may also do the same depending on their options. So, we could see two US basedcohorts staying in the USA this upcoming season. The US based kids already signed to OHL contracts will play OHL I think.

This is in general terms. OBviously not all US based kids and Imports will stay put. Clearly some will still wait out the OHL as long as it takes.

I also think the OHL has already discussed this and is the reason why I think if they delay the start but make that announcement in the mid-summer, it isn’t a big deal. The NHL will be delayed as well because of their late finish. I think provided the OHL doens’t play games and aligns withthe NHL from a start date perspective, I don’t think it will make a difference to Improts and/or US born players.

If a delay stretches well into November, it will be bad for the OHL. Players will have loads of other options, even the Canadian kids. I hope the OHL recognizes this.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Ottawa picks 12th in the first round and has the most neutral luck possible in the second round, picking 9th with their own pick and 13th with the Owen Sound pick (Niagara slotted in 15th in the lottery as per one article that I read). We get a big break with the Sudbury third rounder, which will end up being the top of the round. I may be off by a spot or two after the first depending on the confirmation of the Niagara slot, but here's around what it looks like:
1st- 12th overall (Ott)
2nd- 28th (Ott) and 32nd overall (OS)
3rd- 40th overall (Sudbury)
4th- 65th (Saginaw),69th (Ott), 78th (Osh)

4 picks in the top 40 and 7 picks in the top 78- it's going to be a big, big draft for the team!

Reactions: sirius67fan

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Gonna be a weird year for the draft, so many questions
1- who are the best players?
2- were the scouts able to do their jobs enough?
3- are the evaluations mostly from major bantam rather than minor midget?
Gonna be a crapshoot and it's a year where the teams with the best organizations/scouting staff might have a huge advantage.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Ottawa may have the youngest team in the OHL next year. Assuming that Graeme Clarke goes pro along with Jack Quinn it seems that Adam Varga is the only overage candidate up front. On Defence and in nets, we don't have an overage candidate.

In the 2002 age group of 19 year olds, at this point it will be Cam Tolnai, Dylan Robinson and Yanic Crete at forward, with Anthony Costantini and Alec Belanger on Defence with Will Cranley in goal. This group should net three solid overage candidates the following year.

You've got to assume that there will be acquisitions of overagers, but Ottawa would probably be best off waiting for the dust to settle for other teams and make sure that a season happens before spending key assets. Keep an eye on Sault Ste Marie who had nine 2001's on its last roster.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Ottawa may have the youngest team in the OHL next year. Assuming that Graeme Clarke goes pro along with Jack Quinn it seems that Adam Varga is the only overage candidate up front. On Defence and in nets, we don't have an overage candidate.

In the 2002 age group of 19 year olds, at this point it will be Cam Tolnai, Dylan Robinson and Yanic Crete at forward, with Anthony Costantini and Alec Belanger on Defence with Will Cranley in goal. This group should net three solid overage candidates the following year.

You've got to assume that there will be acquisitions of overagers, but Ottawa would probably be best off waiting for the dust to settle for other teams and make sure that a season happens before spending key assets. Keep an eye on Sault Ste Marie who had nine 2001's on its last roster.

Looking at the possible roster next year I would think that it will be a building year. I like what we have n defence but think that somewhere along the line we need to trade a couple of D or it is going to get crazy with the number of young guys we have that are 18.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Four picks this year in the top 40. You have to think the team is going to give each of them an opportunity. The may not play every day but would be on roster. Then you have last year’s top 4 picks. Same goes for that cohort.

That is 8 rookies. Donoso, if he is signed and my understanding is that he is, will be #9. Laforme is technically going to be a rookie as well. So, that’s 10! Whatever we have for Imports this year will also be rookies.

So, we are looking at as many as 12 rookies conceivably on this team.

I think a lot of teams will be in a similar situation. With the exception of a couple of teams that may be in a perfect situation, most teams will probably approach this year with a wait and see attitude. No one is truly going to know what they have. Sure, they may have what they consider a stellar top line and maybe a top pairing on defence but beyond that, I am not sure any team truly feels they are loaded for bear.

I highly doubt they will consider an OA unless, at the deadline, they feel they are a contender, and that is unlikely. I could see a situation where Varga and Crete are not offered a roster spot considering all the rookies as options.

Robinson-Tolnai-Varga(OA)
Beck-Gaidamak(Imp)-Sirizzotti
Johnston-Laforme-Import
Moldenhauer-Crete-Stonehouse

Belanger-Matier
Sawyer-Costantini
Sirman-GillShane
Mayich

Cranley
Donoso

Plus four 2021 picks! Something is going to have to be sacrificed to ensure players have ice time.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Four picks this year in the top 40. You have to think the team is going to give each of them an opportunity. The may not play every day but would be on roster. Then you have last year’s top 4 picks. Same goes for that cohort.

That is 8 rookies. Donoso, if he is signed and my understanding is that he is, will be #9. Laforme is technically going to be a rookie as well. So, that’s 10! Whatever we have for Imports this year will also be rookies.

So, we are looking at as many as 12 rookies conceivably on this team.

I think a lot of teams will be in a similar situation. With the exception of a couple of teams that may be in a perfect situation, most teams will probably approach this year with a wait and see attitude. No one is truly going to know what they have. Sure, they may have what they consider a stellar top line and maybe a top pairing on defence but beyond that, I am not sure any team truly feels they are loaded for bear.

I highly doubt they will consider an OA unless, at the deadline, they feel they are a contender, and that is unlikely. I could see a situation where Varga and Crete are not offered a roster spot considering all the rookies as options.

Robinson-Tolnai-Varga(OA)
Beck-Gaidamak(Imp)-Sirizzotti
Johnston-Laforme-Import
Moldenhauer-Crete-Stonehouse

Belanger-Matier
Sawyer-Costantini
Sirman-GillShane
Mayich

Cranley
Donoso

Plus four 2021 picks! Something is going to have to be sacrificed to ensure players have ice time.
I agree that we'll be young and have too many bodies. I can't see them keeping Varga. Good energy player but does not warrant an OA spot imo. I also suspect Crete is in danger unless they see him as a viable OA the year after. However ideally those OA's will be Tolnai, Belanger and Cranley (Robinson also maybe being an option). Sure gonna be an interesting year as we don't really know what we have but then again neither do most teams.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OMG

What incentive is there for Gaidamark to come to the 67's. I think from a personal perspective he would be smarter to play in the Russian system if he is not drafted high.

I see the 67's getting a couple of young Euro players that have a chance at making a name in the draft and plugging them in.
Sirrizzoti and Johnson played together so it would make better sense to put them on the same line at least for the beginning of the season.

I think we may see a trade of at least 1 defenceman this fall as there are too many 18-year-olds.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG

What incentive is there for Gaidamark to come to the 67's. I think from a personal perspective he would be smarter to play in the Russian system if he is not drafted high.

I see the 67's getting a couple of young Euro players that have a chance at making a name in the draft and plugging them in.
Sirrizzoti and Johnson played together so it would make better sense to put them on the same line at least for the beginning of the season.

I think we may see a trade of at least 1 defenceman this fall as there are too many 18-year-olds.

We don’t know what will or will not motivate Imports this coming season. As such, we need to approach this season as a developing year. IF the Imports feel their development is better served in North America, because that is where they want to play, then they will come.

This NHL drat is going to be a crap shoot and I think all the players understand that.

I think we will potentially see a large number of 19 year olds taken in next year’s NHL draft as “corrections are made. I think a lot of Import players will have this in mind.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Not that it matters too much but we're picking 15th in the under 18 draft. More importantly 9th ( 27th overall ) in the import draft

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Jack Matier gold medal congrats. How much ice time did he get. stats tell me nothing

he played regular shift all tournament . Trusted to kill penalties at critical points tonight . likely ends up getting drafted because he got the opportunity to play

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
he played regular shift all tournament . Trusted to kill penalties at critical points tonight . likely ends up getting drafted because he got the opportunity to play

I agree. No doubt he gets drafted. PRobably mid rounds somewhere.

His skating needs a lot of work to make the jump to the pro’s but he has solid skill with the puck for a big kid and skates with power once he gets moving.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
After having a few days to ponder it having the twelth pick is ok, should get a good player. The silver lining is it gave us a relatively high import pick (27th). We should be able to get a top talent there as Ottawa has become a choice destination the last few years. Boyd has done well in Europe and Jan Eggerts has contacts. A second coming of Marco would be kind of nice. I'm assuming Simontaival is not coming and even if he wants to I'd release him and go with a younger player that suits our window as next year is reload time. Simontaival would have fit in well last year with Clarke/Quinn/Hoelscher and might have given us a shot but not next year.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Pe4rsonally I think that a lot of teams that were looking great last year are going to be rebuilding this year.
For the 67's this year, I would say they are in renovate. I think we have a good core of players returning but they will be leaderless when you consider that there is no great player returning that can score a ton of goals.

I think that this is a year that they might want to forgoe any OA players build a team of players based on the last 2 and this years draft and look to the future.

I think that if you look at this team that players like Tolnai unless there has been a miracle is not a first one player. He along with Robinson maybe would be a good checking one but I am to sure of that either.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Personally I would not mind a line up this year like this

Johnston-Laforme--Sirizzotti
BeckMoldenhauer-Stonehouse
Robinson-Tolnai- Euro
Draft pick Crete Draft pick - draft pick to place the 2nd Euro in a draft pick spot

The reason that I like this is all of the top 6 players are draft eligible so will be looking to highlight their skills

Last edited:

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Only 2 67's signed up for that showcase in Erie. Sawyer and Gill-Shane. Maybe others will join but logistics for canadian kids are harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad